Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Battlegrounds Launch
29. Re: No subject Jun 8, 2005, 00:12 Teddy

They mean very little and I'm speaking from direct experience. People seem to have gotten the idea in their heads that if they aren't the most uber character with the best skill-set and best armour/weapons available that they won't make a difference in pvp.

Thus far, smart players are FAR more valuable than anything else in the battlegrounds. While equipment has a great deal to do with 1v1 results, how well your characters play as a team will define the battleground results.

People really need to stop using duel results as their guidelines for whether or not they'll be good or useful in pvp.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 23:36 Teddy

I said so fairly sarcasticly, then i bitched about rogues and now i've bitched about the game itself. I got my ass handed to me. I will probably get my ass handed to me again in reply to this.

Not from me you won't. I apologize for my earlier post, I suppose I'm under more stress lately than I'd like to admit and took that out unfairly on you.

Regardless, I do wonder about your comments about the lack of interaction among players in WoW. How many other MMORPG's have you played? I think to date, my list includes, EQ, EQ2, AO, SWG, MxO and WoW and in my experience, WoW has had the most accessible community. I've grouped with more people that I just happened to bump into on the same quest in WoW than I have in any of the others and found people more willing to do so in it than in most of the others.

I have noticed, however that the population on the PVP server I play on is far less likely to group or help out another than on the Normal server I play on. Perhaps it's a difference in the mentality of many PvE and PvP players, who knows?

24. Re: CTF Jun 7, 2005, 22:09 Teddy

They could have made the whole game more dynamic by adding full zones of battleground style material, and instead they are settling for instances of CTF.

You know... maybe it's just me, but they DID in fact happen to add TWO battleground instances and only one of those is CTF, while the other happens to be a conquest style. You're bitching because they offered people the opportunity to play a game mode you don't like?

You know, I love SWAT 4, but how DARE they put in co-op, sp, barricaded suspects and rapid deployment instead of just VIP?!?! Didn't they think of me at all?!?!

Why did they make it instanced instead of implement it directly into the map? Simple. So they could put it in EVERY server and not just the pvp ones and so that they don't have to track two entirely seperate sets of global maps and the code inter-related with them to find bugs.

Here's a thought... if you really have a problem with people catching you off-guard and ganking you, why not play in a normal server? Then YOU get to decide when you want to PVP, if at all. No one forced you to pick a pvp server, no one forced you to play CTF, no one forced you to do anything so why are you so bitter?

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Demo Plans
49. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2005, 22:42 Teddy

It looks like a SoF2 clone. No thx.

What rock have you been living under?

News Comments > Gears of War PC?
64. Re: hmmmm May 25, 2005, 13:37 Teddy

Between designing a game for a buttload of variables in terms of each person's computer setup, to software piracy it's no wonder so many are turning to the console market.

It constantly amazes me that people talk about software piracy killing the PC game business and act as though consoles are somehow safe from it. If you actually look, pirated copies of x-box and PS2 games outnumber the amount of pirated PC games on the internet.

Just as you can get any PC game illegally, you can get any console game you want illegally as well.

I also have to agree with Shataan on the system variations when it comes to programming. There are only two video card makers that both have unified driver solutions and both of those use D3D, so they really only have to program for D3D and debug for 2 drivers, not for each individual card.

There's really only one sound card company out there (however much I wish there were more), the rest are onboard solutions that all use essentially the same chipsets and instructions. There's been very little advancement in PC sound reproduction in the last couple years and I doubt that will change any time soon.

There are only two CPU manufacturers to take into account and neither requires that you implement their proprietary special features to work.

Beyond those, everything else is standardized. There's nothing special you have to do for different motherboards, hard disks, dvd-rom's, etc. to get them working.

There are only three areas that I've seen common problems with in PC game development and only one of them has anything to do with game programming.

1) Users that don't know how to properly maintain their systems. (Spyware/adware/virii/driver updates)

2) Poorly made or hard-coded routers that interfere with online games. (Largely from Linksys' lower end line in my experience)

3) Constantly advancing copy protection schemes that cause more problems than they solve.

News Comments > 3000AD vs. DC Rd 2
68. Re: No subject May 18, 2005, 19:16 Teddy

Only a Small handfull of people who actually PLAY THE GAMES come away not liking them.

Oh my, that comment just made me chuckle. I do happen to own UC, I found it in the bargain bin of a local computer store that was selling it for $5.99 cdn just to get the crap off their shelves.

I played it and within 5 minutes found more bugs and glitches than I had in any other game I'd ever purchased (and I've seen some buggy releases... galaxies anyone? Global Operations?), from walking through walls of buildings as a marine to distorted textures, a ground combat system that was barely functional, ai that couldn't figure out how to get around a building, plus to top it all off a ctd when trying to go back to the main menu. It was good for a laugh if nothing else, and that's precisely what every gamer I showed it to did. Laugh. Hard.

It must be comforting to think that anyone that says they don't like the game is just part of a grandiose conspiracy against Mr. Smart and his games. He brought on the reputation himself, no one helped him with it. From insulting customers who just wanted to get the game working, to filing lawsuits against everyone he works with to lying and boasting and bragging all whilst creating nothing but crap. I do have to give him credit for two things though... he always manages to find someone to fund said crap and what's even harder, manages to find people that enjoy playing with crap.

News Comments > 3000AD vs. DC Rd 2
4. Re: Oh Derek May 18, 2005, 16:30 Teddy

I don't even know why publishers bother to work with him anymore... It's not like his games actually sell and he seems to bring pretty much any publisher he works with to court for some reason or another.

I mean... who in their right minds would pay someone to produce a shoddy product, and then take abuse from them afterwards.

News Comments > 64-Bit Far Cry
52. At least they kept their word. May 11, 2005, 02:57 Teddy

I don't really understand the foolish people claiming it's some sort of gimmick or marketing ploy. The game has sold all the copies it's going to and they know it. If they get any sales now, they're insignificant compared to the costs involved with producing and testing a patch that size. With their next project so far on the horizon that few even know it exists, you can hardly call this a marketing tool.

What they did that is of particular importance to me, is keep their word. Very important, in fact, especially with the recent fiascos involving Ubisoft with GR2 PC, and VU/Irrational with Tribes Vengeance. They said they were going to release this patch ages ago, and while it took longer than I would have liked, they had the balls to follow through. Gimmick or no, I may buy their next game just for that reason alone even though I wasn't particularly fond of Far Cry itself.

As for Far Cry MP, Dagok is absolutely right. The game's MP was dead the moment it was released for various reasons, not the least of which being shoddy netcode and the focus on a poorly executed primary gameplay mode. Pity, since the graphics engine was so impressive, it could have been a great game for the competitive community.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Lockdown Release Plans
9. Re: This is crap! May 11, 2005, 02:31 Teddy

I imagine he's referring to the Black Arrow expansion to Raven-Shield that only came out for consoles.

Edit: I suppose that should read expansion to RB6:3 since it wasn't really for Raven-Shield at all, just the drastically changed console version.

This comment was edited on May 11, 02:33.

News Comments > Bizz Buzz
3. Re: Ubisoft Feb 3, 2005, 00:14 Teddy

That's actually only part of the story. According to Bloomberg.com, the Queubec provincial government is giving Ubisoft $52 million on top of the $5 million that the Canadian Federal Government is handing them.

I don't personally support the move, but hey, maybe they'll make games that work now instead of Raven-Shield (note that they left that out of their list of games made by Ubi montreal in all these stories).

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=a5rOdD8KSDJA&refer=canada

News Comments > Ships Ahoy: Shadow Vault
5. Re: Please mum Dec 22, 2004, 18:24 Teddy

"non-stop turn based action"

Heh. I was just about to comment on the same thing.

News Comments > EA & Ubisoft
44. Re: 20 percent Dec 21, 2004, 00:56 Teddy

...they're the Microsoft of the game industry...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Microsoft be the Microsoft of the game industry?

News Comments > Valve Wins Cyber Café Suit
19. Re: Get the Vivendi Finger OUTTA THERE! Nov 30, 2004, 00:37 Teddy

This really isn't something new... It makes me wonder why some people act as if Valve is the devil incarnate for doing it. ANY form of entertainment that you take and use for commercial means requires you to pay extra. It's as simple as that.

Movie theaters have to pay through the nose to play the movies they do. Why? Because they charge the public and profit from the showing of someone elses work. This ruling just goes to show that games are no different.

Also note when you buy a movie there are all sorts of warnings on them stating that it is a federal offence to try to profit from public showings of them.

When you buy an entertainment product, be it movie or game, you buy the LICENSE to use that product for yourself or your family. When you start charging other people to use the product you bought a personal license to, YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. That's all that was reinforced in this case.

Cyber Cafe's make money by charging people to play video games in a social setting. Buying single user licenses to games and then pimping them out to the masses to make a buck does not make them the 'good guys' that are being oppressed by the evil corporation. It makes them people who saw a loophole in a new market and exploited it as long as they could until someone stepped up and said that what they were doing does not follow suit with the legal standard set by the movie industry.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
22. Re: Gimme! Nov 17, 2004, 12:12 Teddy

My computer is kinda old, AMD 2000 and GF3.

You have a Geforce 3 and are complaining about how the graphics in a game look like they're from 4 years ago? Your card is from 4 years ago, ever consider there might be a connection? At least wait until you see the game on passable hardware before you start insulting the graphics.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Space Interceptor: Project Freedom
5. Re: funny thing... Nov 9, 2004, 13:11 Teddy

Well, aren't all of the weapons in a space sim "air to air".
Technically, that would be space to space.

I think Jim's got the right of it (though I've not played so can't be sure). If you notice, in some of the screenshots they're flying around right near the surface of the planet. That's where you'd need air to air I'd guess. Not that they'd be much different from those used in space, but that's besides the point.

Edit: Except of course for the fact that in the screenshot you pointed out, they ARE in fact using them in space. Maybe it's to differentiate from ground attack weapons? Who knows...

This comment was edited on Nov 9, 13:14.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Update
17. Re: No subject Oct 26, 2004, 21:40 Teddy

Since steam is a requirement, the patch is forced upon you, and you're fucked.

Good to see you actually did some research or learned even one single thing about the topic you're arguing before making an ass of yourself, VoodooV.

No patch is ever forced upon you with steam aside from the updates to the steam software itself. Each and every game you have running through steam can be set up at the time of installation or altered at any moment in time to NOT autoupdate. You want the freedom to decide when to patch? Feel free to use it, it's right there and even in nice user-friendly menus if you bother to take five or ten seconds to look. (hint: It's in the properties for whatever game you're looking to change the settings for)

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Submitted for Certification
82. Re: Blame Oct 15, 2004, 19:23 Teddy

Instead of refuting what I say, go look for yourself. The USA attacked Najaf. About halfway time wise thru the attack, the hurricanes started. The USA kept attacking so another one came. 4 hurricanes. No one seen anything like it in 50 or a hundred years, I forget. You think that is an accident?

Perhaps you should look into what you're saying yourself. Try to look beyond that 'center of the universe' attitude and look at it in a more global context. The US wasn't the only place hit by these hurricanes. Many people in Haiti, the Dominican Republic and other locations died as a result of these storms and they had nothing to do with the US elections. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the vast majority of those that died as a result of this year's hurricane season were NOT americans. Jeanne reportedly killed over 1500 people in Haiti alone. Could there really be that may Bush supporters there?

How does that fit in with your 'Karma' explanation?

News Comments > DOOM 3 Patch
77. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 14:03 Teddy

But you're expressing your dislike for people who persistently express their dislikes - persistently. It's like the relativists and how they argue truth is relative, unless of course you disagree with relativism. Ok that was an obscure comparison, but you get what I mean

It appears you have the wrong idea of what's happening here. I don't dislike the good Captain, even with his obvious hostility, nor do I dislike anyone that lives in a negative cycle for that reason alone. What I'm suggesting is that it is unhealthy for the individual to behave in that manner.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Held Hostage?
156. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 13:49 Teddy

Actually no i'm saying EA and Codemasters are good publishers. I personally dont care for what they bring out, i agree it's all a load of shite. BUT what i am saying is that in the business sense they are excellent.

I almost forgot I had intended to comment on this. While it's true that EA generally meets it's release deadlines it does it by a do or die method for the developers. They force the games to be released at the expected time and if the game is not ready and buggy at release and doesn't sell well as a result, EA pulls the funding in a heartbeat. Ask anyone who played Global Operations about how 'good' EA is as a publisher.

Granted, it is the developers responsibility to meet their deadlines, but EA's methods are not what I would call ideal for their customers. The result is, you can never trust an EA game to play cleanly out of the box unless it is part of one of their major franchises, and even then that's not always true (BF:V anyone?).

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Held Hostage?
155. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 13:35 Teddy

But the thing is that at the moment to download a game you have to wait in queues, trail the internet for hours trying to find a place that "serves" the game then download it mostly at a stupidly slow rate.

Unfortunately for game makers, this is not remotely true. You can find every single game that comes out in one place and the download speed is limited only by the speed of your connection. There are no queues, no slow download rates and for most no cost involved (dependant upon ISP). Much like everything else in the computer world, software piracy has evolved as well and has moved beyond www, ftp and IRC as base methods of transfer. The ISPs could interfere with one of the two major methods, but they just don't care enough to do it. In fact, I'm of the belief that some allow it to exist unhindered because it draws customers to them.

And for reference, I just did a quick search and both Barbarossa and Afrika Korps were made available through both these methods. I would agree that if EVERY company would go and sell only online then only the major names would be cracked. It wouldn't stop the system, but it would certainly slow it down from it's current pace. As well, to the best of my knowledge, more often than not, it's corrupt employees of the publishers that deliver the games more often than store salesmen.

I wonder sometimes what it is that video game companies are doing in an attempt to stop piracy. Nothing they've done so far has even made a dent and it's relatively easy for anyone to get information on how it's all done. They need to think up something better than the CD security that they're using now (safedisc, etc) because those don't even slow the pirates down for more than 5 minutes, which is somewhat silly considering how often they cause problems for people who actually bought the game. CD-keys for multiplayer games work decently as a deterrant, though private server patches eventually show up that allow limited MP usage for pirated copies.

Punkbuster did something useful about it with Raven-Shield, albeit inadvertantly by using their MD5 tool to check user's main .exe files for changes. While it annoyed some people that legitamitely owned the game and used No-CD stuff, it effectively made it so that anyone with a hacked, non-clone copy could not play online on PB run servers. Maybe that's part of the answer then... internal MD5 checks by the game to compare the server's executable with the clients, any that don't match are disconnected. Combine that with an automatic and forced update system for those who wish to play online or even for single player games on systems connected to the internet and that will interfere with the cracks that are shipped for a time, so long as the updates are frequent enough.

Steam may even be part of the solution as well. It's method of uploading files to your system in such a way that you can play the game without the complete content could end up working as internet connections become faster in the future. You buy a cd key, connect online and their system sends you the encrypted files that you need to play the game complete with a one time public/private key. The files only stay on your system for as long as you are playing, then they are removed automatically when you exit and the cycle starts all over again next time you want to play minus the need to pay again. With the way Steam works, allowing you to play before the download of the content has completed, it may make it take only a matter of minutes to begin playing a game.

Of course it all sounds very intrusive and inconvenient just to play a game, but in the future it will be possible to make it a seamless process.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo