Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > German Violent Gaming Legislation
23. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 13:08 Teddy

How is giving up cars for the good of everyone?

The simplest equation is less cars = less traffic = less accidents. More important than that is that less cars means less pollution and less dependance on oil which stops countries from initiating and maintaining rediculous wars that cost that country billions of dollars that could be spent on far more socially constructive projects.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 13:05 Teddy

Ah you just made the case that guns are not a factor in crime statistics by pointing out the real reasons. So what would be the point of eliminating guns?

That depends on what statistic you are looking at. I said crime isn't dependant on the availability of weapons. Deaths from violent crimes however are VERY related to the proliferation of firearms.

21. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 13:01 Teddy

I love how you think it actually comes down to your "combat skills." The active military already has a unified command structure and access to far better equipment. If as a collective whole, they wanted to, they would have no problems dominating the population. Again, your gun means nothing and your 'combat skills' mean even less.

15. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 12:43 Teddy

A well armed population does provide some protection from the goverment.

Ahahahahahahah! Oh that is truly funny. Here's the key to this, bucky. You may have guns, but the government has more and a lot of people that are better trained than any of your civvies with guns. Your protection does NOT come from having a gun, however much you may try to BS yourself and everyone else into believing it does. Your protection comes from the fact that IF the government attempted to take dictatorial control over the country, the soldiers would simply refuse to participate.

The ONLY thing that protects you from both outside attackers and from a government seeking to dominate the populace by force are the soldiers they would have to use to do it. Your gun means nothing at all to a government that wants to control you.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 12:45.

13. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 12:37 Teddy

When did cars=food become true and who said anything about communism? I love how the morons come out in full force any time someone says something about their guns. Any suggestion that people should give up something for the good of everyone and it's suddenly communist propaganda...

As for the foolish commentary on British crime, blaming it on one factor is about as short sighted as you can get. Perhaps then you could explain the low crime rates in Canada as a result of... what? Fear that their mark might be an american tourist? Historically crime and social violence as a whole is not linked to the availability of weapons, but to social factors such as overcrowding, poverty and the perception of opression.

6. Re: Games don't kill people Nov 18, 2005, 12:12 Teddy

The problem with taking guns out of circulation is that it increases the power of the government even more.

Well isn't that a load of NRA bullshit... You make it sound as though you'd have martial law if you didn't all have guns stashed away somewhere. An elected official fears public disapproval ratings more than they fear your guns.

As far as banning cars, that of course is unlikely, but I would like to see car ownership limited to necessity. It would cut down on related deaths and on pollution, but then of course that's restricting your freedom so you'd all have to get your guns out to stop the government 'tyranny'.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - X3: Reunion
103. Re: I dun'no Nov 6, 2005, 23:52 Teddy

Try it with an Argon or Teladi Trading station, and you'll see what I mean...

My test was ON an Argon trading station in Argon prime. Argon shipyard, argon equipment dock, Argon Free Trading Station. All three worked fine, mind you I only have a tiny little Mercury.

66. Re: I dun'no Nov 5, 2005, 01:39 Teddy

Wait, did the old game not let you manually dock?

There is some confusion over this. Some say Ego took it out deliberately, others say that it's a bug, and yet others say they can dock fine manually. I can't, and I dislike it, since the autopilot SUCKS at docking...

Just tested it myself since I never bothered to try to dock manually and I can do it just fine. What are you doing to try and dock?

All I did was fly within comm range of the station, request landing then the flashy green lights show up. Follow them, slow down sufficiently and it brings you right into the docked menu system.

63. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2005, 00:55 Teddy

Ah, the shortcuts in the manual... yeah I didn't even bother to read that. I just checked the control options.

As for remotely controlling other ships with shortcuts, I haven't actually gotten far enough yet to have more than one ship to try that. Considering that none of my shortcuts work with menus open, I imagine that you're right and it probably won't work.

61. Re: I dun'no Nov 5, 2005, 00:45 Teddy

Ray, I really have to wonder if you paid attention to any of the video clips during the plot sequence, or perhaps for some reason they didn't play properly on your machine or something.

While I agree that you should have been given a choice to accept the mission at the goner temple, it was VERY clearly explained that you were going to be teleported to their ship and you were going to man the turret while they flew. There was even a fancy little teleporter light sequence ala star trek when you are teleported from your ship to theirs.

The arcade mission, yeah that was a bit weird, but again... it was pretty clear that the Goner monk was the one piloting the ship. Your character spoke to him several times at the beginning and near the end of that sequence.

There was a video sequence at the end of the arcade 'flying through the city' part where it showed your ship taking off into space. Then yes, ships started blowing up and there were three or four video clips just about the explosion of the ship you were in. The space suit sequence was unnecessary, it could have just been done as a video but it works well enough.

The hospital sequence follows suit as if you were injured during the explosion / malfunction of your suit. Some person got one of your ships? You only ever HAD one ship, the other one you were in the turret of belonged to someone else. Yes, the Goner monks are helping you, you almost died helping them after all (and for free apparently... that part bothered the pirate in me).

It's not a fantastic or particularly original story in concept or execution, but it's hardly random or confusing if you pay attention and listen to what people are saying.

Thus far my only real annoyance with the game.. well, make that two... one it doesn't like alt-tabbing on my machine so it crashes any time I get an IM unless I've remembered to shut them off. Anyways, the only real annoyance is that I keep getting a "command denied" or some such response when trying to auto-pilot from one station to the next. Apparently something to do with distance from the station you just left, but annoying nonetheless to keep clicking on my auto-pilot until it lets me go.

60. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2005, 00:26 Teddy

The UI seems strange. The shortcuts are all still there, but they just simply don't work half the time. I have no clue what Ego was doing here. It just doesn't make sense.

In my experience with the game so far, the shortcuts work every time, you just can't have any menus open when you use them. That took a little while to get used to and now and then I still forget to close all the menus before using the shortcuts.

News Comments > X3: Reunion Patch
61. Re: No subject Nov 4, 2005, 12:39 Teddy

I CANT EVEN ASK WHERE IT IS!

? You can't ask someone at a station where the sector is? Any unknown sector that I've been required to go to for a mission has allowed me to ask people via the comm menus.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Delayed
11. Re: lol Oct 31, 2005, 22:53 Teddy

NOOOOOO!

News Comments > WoW: The Burning Crusade Announced
7. Re: No subject Oct 28, 2005, 21:31 Teddy

I wonder what the 2nd race is gonna be?

Oddly enough, so do I, especially since the first announced race is basically flesh coloured night elves wearing red clothing.

Purple orcs in pink tutus?

31. Re: ... Oct 28, 2005, 20:46 Teddy

That's funny, DDI, because I distinctly remember playing Chaos Theory one week after it was released. It worked just fine for me, though I deleted the game a couple hours later anyways. As I said, Chaos Theory managed to hold out longer than most, but a 'long time' it wasn't.

The only thing starforce or any copy protection scheme stops are people trying to copy their friend's cd/dvd from an original storebought copy. Unfortunately, that's not how piracy works these days, nor has it been for five years. The real piracy threat isn't even remotely affected by any of these schemes.

23. Re: ... Oct 28, 2005, 18:22 Teddy

Pretty sure thats baloney. It took months before a cracked version of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory showed up on usenet and it still doesn't work right for most warez monkeys since theres way too much effort involved in trying to bypass it.

Pretty sure? Pretty sure you don't have a clue what you're talking about. It took exactly 1 week after release for Chaos Theory to get chopped and sent out. That's actually fairly impressive considering any new games with StarForce are still going out on the net the day of release or before.

As well, just for reference, there is no real effort in 'trying' to bypass it for the average user. It's a very simple process that for obvious reasons I won't explain here. Making things up in an attempt to add strength to your argument only weakens you in the end.

News Comments > etc.
31. Re: EULA compliant spyware Oct 15, 2005, 01:16 Teddy

How old are you? Do you ever read the news? Have you ever heard of Enron? Do you just hand your money over to used car dealers or lawyers and trust them becasue they tell you to? Do you just click on email attachments becasue the headers make sincere promises?

Seriously man, you should join the Army.
I hear there's big opportunities for guys like you over in Iraq.

My my... they're selling those hats in pairs now are they? So let's see what we have here: Trust no one, and soldiers are naive and gullible? That's about the whole of what your post states. If that's how you truly see the world, you must be one of the most pathetically lonely and depressed people I have ever come across.

There are two things that you are missing here. First, you still haven't answered why Blizzard would risk their profits on something that would ultimately crush the company. Pointing to executive abuse, insider trading and fraud scandals does not answer the question for you. Second, there's a whole section of life that is all about learning who you can trust and who you cannot. You might want to revisit those lessons. Blizzard has done nothing to prove that they are an unreliable company and everything to prove that they are interested in making and selling good games. To continue selling those games and keep people paying for their subscriptions, they cannot afford to drive off their customers.

The funniest part about this whole topic is that it began from an entirely unreliable source shouting from an internet soapbox that carries no credibility. Show me a story from a real news site about Blizzard stealing and selling private information about their customers and I might listen, elsewise you're just another conspiracy nut like the guy that wrote that article in the first place. You'll note if you look closely that he included absolutely no proof with his claims, nor did he contact any legitimate source to corroborate his tale. However, since you are apparently one of those sad little fear driven people, I'm sure you believed every word he said. (What was that you were saying about naive and gullible?)

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: EULA compliant spyware Oct 14, 2005, 14:41 Teddy

Good god, Riley, you really do wear a tin-foil hat don't you? Now and then you show a glimmer of intelligence, but so very little foresight or depth of thought into any problem.

Blizzard makes hundreds of millions of dollars a year, from World of Warcraft. Do you REALLY think they would jeopardize that kind of income by illegally aquiring personal information from their customers? I'll give you a tip, only a moron would say yes to that question.

As for Evenbalance, this is a company that makes their ONLY living providing an anti-cheat to game companies. That being said, if they ever did anything illegal or even unsavory with their software it would cast a shadow over the company and end all of their future business with any games. Again, do you really think these people would sacrifice their livelihood and that of their company just to get what piddling little bits of information you keep on your computer? If you answer yes to that one too, then there is truly no hope for you in this world. You may as well shoot yourself now so that no one can hack into your brain and steal your thoughts.

News Comments > America's Army: Direct Action Today
38. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 21:46 Teddy

You don't see me bitching about the Army's recruitment TV and movie trailer ads because this isn't a movie and TV site, is it? Dumbass. Not downloading it doesn't mean the money gets un-spent and is then diverted to something better, like, I dunno, EDUCATION?

Whilst calling someone else dumb, you're not showing too much forethought yourself. Even if they never made the game, the money wouldn't be 'unspent'. It's already allocated to the military's advertising budget and they don't give back the unused money, they just find something else to spend it on for advertising.

Since your argument seems to be that the army shouldn't be getting as much money as they do, why are you whining about it on a gaming site instead of speaking with your politicians? Find some logic in your own arguments along with where and why you voice them before you start questioning someone else's.

News Comments > America's Army: Direct Action Today
32. Re: No subject Oct 13, 2005, 18:46 Teddy

Hmmm, I wonder. With the new gaming restrictions legislation, how does it apply to this?

They wouldn't apply to this at all for two reasons. First off, the restrictions are against selling violent games to minors, this one is given away for free. Secondly, the restriction is against M rated games, America's Army is rated T and they intend to keep it that way. That's one of the reasons there is no blood in the game, no knives, you are severely penalized for killing innocents, among a host of other things.

I'm just morally opposed to the idea of using an effectively youth oriented form of media as a recruitment tool.

A youth oriented form of media? What year are you living in? Check your stats, adult gamers are far from uncommon, especially in the tactical FPS genre.

Whether people enjoy tactical shooters or not is one thing, but calling it a bad game because you don't like that style of play is just childish. It is a niche game, just like SWAT 4, just like Rainbow 6 (well, like R6 was until they mass commercialized it and started making them into arcade games).

I still remember the announcement for the 2nd beta of RavenShield. "Now with faster gameplay!" because of course that's exactly what the franchise stands for... fast twitch gameplay with no thinking necessary, but I digress. Don't play the game if you don't like it. Don't play it if you disagree with the concept, but don't pretend that it's some government conspiracy designed to woo children. It's no more a recruitment tool than the SWAT series is for the police, or football games plastered with NFL logos are for them. If you have a problem with this game because they have the US army logo on it, you may as well stop playing anything but fantasy games because anything based on real life has a logo of one form or another and could be construed as a tool to seduce young children.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo