Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > The Early Show
3. Re: GRAW Feb 22, 2006, 17:56 Teddy

Eh... the video is about the Xbox 360 Multiplayer. There still hasn't been a single video containing PC footage aside from a really bad shakycam from august. There's also been no confirmation that the PC version will have a seperate MP co-op campaign, like the 360 version.

GRIN is making the PC version, so technically the headline here isn't quite correct. This is UBI Shanghai making the X360 SP and Red Storm Entertainment making the X360 MP.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Regiment, First Patch Released
11. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2006, 21:29 Teddy

I'm told play.com sells it and supposedly ships to the US. That's what people have said on the konami forums.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=PC&searchstring=regiment&page=search&Go.x=0&Go.y=0#review

Just be warned, reviews from people are mixed. I enjoy the game quite a bit, but others absolutely detest it. *shrugs* Without any effort from Konami to get the game some press, you may be waiting a long time for reviews. A lot of online sites simply don't review games that aren't available in the US. The only two reviews I've seen thus far are a french one that gave it something along the lines of 2/20 and a German site that gave it an 82% or thereabouts.

If you're not a masochist when it comes to games, chances are you won't like it. If you like a game that's VERY difficult, you probably will.
This comment was edited on Feb 20, 21:34.

7. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2006, 19:18 Teddy

Usually means that. In this case it means it's produced by Konami. They have ZERO PR for their PC games. Only advertise for their console stuff, and it's also UK/EU only.

Like I said before, the game has it's faults. It's not a game you ever want to play in adversarial MP mode, but the SP is very challenging and actually makes for good training for tac shooter games, if you can handle being insulted by the game for your constant failures.

1. Surprisingly good. Feb 20, 2006, 15:03 Teddy

Despite having graphics from 2 generations back, this is a surprisingly good single player / co-op Tac Shooter. Very unforgiving damage model and scoring system, good training missions and a unique way of handling assaults on buildings.

Rather than coordinating multiple teams at the same time like Rainbow Six games, you play them out in sequence. Each mission is broken into three sections, one for each four-man team that breaches the building/complex. You play through the first and when you get a satisfactory score (no easy feat, let me tell you) then it unlocks the second, and so on and so forth. Your score for the mission is not simply based on whether you killed all the terrorists and rescued all the hostages. It takes into account the time you took and compares that to an optimal time and it takes into account your accuracy and any negatives you might incur. So far, I've yet to even beat a single level (excluding the training) at anything higher than a "D" rating.

Not available in the US, but if you're in the UK/EU and are into SP/co-op tac shooters you might want to give this one a shot. If you're looking for MP adversarial, don't even consider it.

News Comments > War on Terror English Demo
5. Re: No subject Feb 16, 2006, 23:36 Teddy

<insert argument against moronic, off-topic, political crap here>

News Comments > Warlords V Revealed
3. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2006, 23:09 Teddy

Awww yeah.... I certainly hope they reverted to the old combat system for this one. Warlords IV was pretty poor by comparison to it's predecessors.

News Comments > HoMM5 Delayed
5. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2006, 23:38 Teddy

It was delayed because the beta proved without question that the game wasn't ready. Had nothing to do with a petition. UBI pays ZERO attention to petitions, been proven countless times.

News Comments > Need for Scapegoat Follow-up
26. Re: Of course there is a link Jan 27, 2006, 17:00 Teddy

The part that gets me about this (being from toronto myself) is that this is the 30th death in the city's history related to illegal street racing. That list of deaths spans a great number of years, is NOT increasing in late years and ONE of them has a tenuous link to a video game, so naturally the video game must be to blame for it.

What about the others? What did they blame them on? Oh, boys will be boys, just young adults acting like jackasses and something went wrong. What's different here? Now they've got something they can demonize and blame, now there's a devil that insidiously corrupted their young, perfectly innocent minds and MADE them do it.

People are stupid. They do stupid things. Soemtimes they die, sometimes others do. End of story. Illegal street racing was around before movies about the topic existed and before video games existed. There is a link between the two and it's clear as day. The existence of street racing caused the existence of the movies and video games about it, not the other way around.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Lockdown Demo
6. Re: hmm. Jan 18, 2006, 13:54 Teddy

It wasn't an exclusive at all. Gamespot just put it up earlier than they were supposed to.

As for the fluid motion system, hate to burst your bubble. Doesn't seem to be there (I'll check again in a moment just to be sure, but I haven't seen anything relating to it at all.)

Small notes:

- Fast running speed (MUCH faster than Raven-Shield)
- No prone
- No moving at all while leaning/peeking
- No running with scope. As soon as you zoom it forces you to walk
- Night vision owns, not some green grainy tunnel vision crap, but full vision grey scale
- Yes, there is a grenade launcher (ugh)... haven't tried it yet
- Uses ammo pool concept like CS rather than counting each round in each magazine
- Too many tangos in missions in my opinion and too much ammo given. They've gone for action rather than suspense in gameplay. (You start the SP mission with like 400 some odd rounds...)
- Motion sensor that replaces HBS is an interesting idea, will have to see how it pans out. It is turned on and has your typical recharging battery FPS cliche that drains and charges up when not in use. Gives you the old style radar with x's on it to show movement (like RS) and when you get close enough it gives you a view through walls of the enemies (like RvS). Unlike either, you can have your weapon out while it's on and fire... but the downside is, if someone ISN'T in range of the device, your vision is so blurred you can't see them.
- Aimpoint is a force to be reckoned with...
- The ability to take down doors via locks/hinges plays out nicely
- Very pretty and seems quite optimized. I maxxed every option at 1248x1024 with 4x AA, 16xAF and it still feels very smooth. (AMD64 3500+, 256MB 6800 Ultra, 1GB RAM)

And the best note to make at least so far... haven't found a single bug.

Edit: Confirmed, no fluid peek. Fluid door opening is still there though.

Also should be noted that they have NOT made the game any less lethal or arcady so far as the damage model is concerned. In SP if you set it to Challenge difficulty, you die damn fast (1-2 hits) and so do they.
This comment was edited on Jan 18, 14:02.

News Comments > Quake 4 Beta Patch
2. Re: Quake 4 Beta Patch Jan 11, 2006, 20:32 Teddy

The release notes must still in the alpha stage.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Wallmart error Jan 7, 2006, 16:47 Teddy

Maybe I missed something in the last 30 years or so, but when did linking to a Martin Luther King Jr. video become offensive or racist?

News Comments > Morning Preview
2. Re: Wow Jan 3, 2006, 15:22 Teddy

Did you click on the link that says "Read the full in-depth preview" at the bottom?

News Comments > BF2 Patch Plans
27. Re: Sniper Kits Inaccurate? Dec 13, 2005, 21:02 Teddy

WTF? The sniper kits are *extremely* accurate, most people just don't know they also take into account bullet drop, and so you have to aim slightly higher depending on the distance. If you aim straight at a far away target, of course you won't hit him, but once you get the hang of it, you nail shots at 400m no problem.

It says 'adjusted for accuracy'. Doesn't say whether the accuracy is being increased, decreased or simply 'changed' in some other way.

News Comments > BF2 Patch Plans
25. Re: No subject Dec 13, 2005, 21:01 Teddy

they're just fun and give a tactical advantage

Did he just call dolphin diving a 'tactical advantage'?

Anyways... M134 is a minigun. The ones on the transport helis.

News Comments > Terrorist Takedown: War In Colombia Revealed
11. Re: ... Dec 12, 2005, 20:43 Teddy

I fear China will be our next enemy, with the government and media hyping up every minute detail.

Count on it.

News Comments > Neocron N.M.E. Released
12. Re: You all must be smoking mushrooms Dec 8, 2005, 17:06 Teddy

Yes, after all - if he doesnt like it, it must be because their's something wrong with him.

Come up with a new one you fool.

He didn't state that he doesn't like it. He stated that it was crap. If he cannot figure out how to state his opinion instead of claiming a dubious fact, then there is something wrong with him.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. Galactic Civilizations II Dec 1, 2005, 23:10 Teddy

Q: Galactic Civilizations I got some attention because you didnít have any CD copy protection. Arenít you afraid of piracy?

A: Our primary concern is our customers. The people who pay my salary. Theyíre my overlord. And I donít want to inconvenience them. Moreover, piracy is really about how many sales are actually lost. What we do is put out free updates after release. We got Editorís Choice Awards from most of the major game magazines. And that was on the 1.0 version in the box. But we put out tons of updates after release that greatly enhanced that experience.

So letís say someone got a ďwarezĒ copy of the game. If they like the game, theyíre going to want the updates, and to do that, they have to have a valid serial # that is verified on the server side (i.e. no cracks). So at that point, weíre going to get that sale. Or we would have never gotten the sale.

I donít like game companies treating me like a criminal. If Iím paying $50 for a game then I better well be able to put it on my laptop and PC and not have to futz around with keeping track of the CD. Besides, I end up losing my CDs anyway.

I think I'm going to have to buy this game just based on that alone.

News Comments > The Chronicles of Spellborn Beta Testing
6. Re: New trend? Dec 1, 2005, 13:17 Teddy

Sucks to be underaged, doesn't it? I remember those days.

News Comments > Hill's Gaming Bill
50. Re: No subject Nov 30, 2005, 00:32 Teddy

So, selling games to a minor becomes illegal. Consequently, a parent would have to buy the game for the child. Is this not the same as an adult buying cigarettes for a minor? Which, if I'm not mistaken, is illegal?

The real question is why doesn't it apply to all media? I guess it's about time game companies started buying politicians like the MPAA and RIAA.

News Comments > UFO: Aftershock Patch
8. Re: Still waiting for US release Nov 29, 2005, 23:34 Teddy

Some are even saying it is a better game than X-Com.

Some also said that if they castrated themselves, aliens would come down and take them away from the bad bad world in their space ship. Never listen too closely to what the crackpots say.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo