Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations II Beta Patch
4. Re: Uhh Mar 25, 2006, 19:36 Teddy

...but you have to acknowledge the bugs...

What bugs are those? I've only found the one where my cursor disappears. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary has happened at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarForce Wars
24. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2006, 15:49 Teddy

It has virtually stopped the pirate scene over night.

ROFL. Oh my, that was good. Thank you for that bit of balls-out ignorance. Go take a look and research your claims before you try and spout drivel like that.

News Comments > TES IV: Oblivion Tools
37. Re: Teddy Mar 21, 2006, 10:09 Teddy

Oh, don't get me wrong on any of the negative comments, this game is still probably the best RPG out there and certainly worth buying.

Which leads me to a question: how is the questlog implemented now?
Morrwind's was horrible for it's lack of functionality: I liked the presentation, but it was REALLY tedious in actual use [even with the patch]. In the end I really wanted a hotkey to a bulleted uncompleted questlog with subquests...

The quest log doesn't seem to have any hotkey to bring it up. You have to bring up the map and then click on one of the tabs. There's three all told that have to do with quests. One for completed quests, one for current quests and one for the active quest.

Completed quests is basically just a log, click on one and it brings up all the info recorded about that quest.

Current quests lists all your active quests with a small overview of each. You can click on any one you want to make it the active quest.

Active quests shows all of the details of the quest you are on, every little tidbit of information you have about it.

Not a bad system, but it's certainly not the most user-friendly of menu systems. They really should have taken cues from the way MMO's like WoW or EQ2 handle their quest information and worked on expanding from there. Probably another console control limitation that they were trying to take into account. All the menus seem designed so that you don't -need- a cursor to click on things, which is all well and good for the console gamepads, but it ends up making things more tedious for mouse users.

call me crazy, but i doubt you are going to discover all the game has to offer from one day of playtime

Show me where I claimed that even once. As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure I stated that I might not have gotten far enough in to see all the factions and whatnot. That doesn't change the fact that the game feels almost identical to Morrowind with some notable changes for the good (combat, AI and travel system) and for the bad (Inventory/map/journal menu system) and that's something you CAN find out in one day of playtime.

30. Re: Teddy Mar 21, 2006, 04:35 Teddy

The bloom effect can be turned off, yes. No slider, but you have the option of HDR or some other form of lighting or having both off. Strangely, it defaulted on mine to full view distance but short culling distances for everything else, bumping them up to max didn't affect anything that I noticed.

Yes, oblivion handles houses the same as Morrowind. You have to load for dungeons, houses, stores, whatnot. Not long load times, but they're there nonetheless. I've also noticed that this game doesn't stutter as much as Morrowind did when caching a new section of the outside map.

Creston, had nothing to do with drivers or whatnot. Apparently if you have a joystick plugged in, the game assumes you want to use it and it seems to decide quite often that the joystick is not centered properly. Unplugging the joystick did the trick.

Still getting the occasional crash (twice in 5 hours of play), but other than that no majorly noticable bugs. I got my copy from an EB Games store. They had them same-day shipped, whereas the other stores in the area didn't have a clue when they were going to get a copy.

Oh yeah, and I found a flying thing. Looked like an imp... It killed me. I resolved to avoid flying things from now on.

Having played for a solid five or six hours now, I think I've got a decent feel for the game. All told, it's a very good game. Excellent graphics, runs smooth on my machine with every setting on high at 1024x768 (AMD x64 3500+ / 1GB RAM / 6800 Ultra). Going to try higher resolutions tomorrow. It looks pretty, the new combat system is nice and quite intuitive, the lockpicking is sort of like a minigame, but I've found it very troubling to try and do with a mouse... thankfully they have an 'auto' button to get the computer to do it for you, but still, the lockpicking feels like it was designed for a console controller rather than a mouse (much like inventory/map system). The AI do wander around and have spontaneous conversations with one another, which is a plus but they tend to feel a bit disjointed. What they've done is something no one else has ever done before, so obviously kudos for that, but in listening, it's obvious we're a ways away from making it work -well-. Still, it's another layer of atmosphere atop the rest and it's a welcome one.

That all being said, the game is wearing a little thin on me. I can't quite pinpoint why... everything is done so well. I suppose it just feels like I've done all this before. Morrowind was such a huge leap from Daggerfall in terms of gameplay... Oblivion is NOT such a huge leap from Morrowind. Graphically very impressive, much ooohing and ahhhing, but after the novelty wears off, you're really just running quests for the (fighter/mage/thieves) guild again and again.

Great game, but I'm not sure it's that much better than Morrowind. Now that I think about it, they've been on a downward trend for factions since Daggerfall. Daggerfall had your main guilds, had all the temples and secret guilds and whatnot. Morrowind did away with the various temple guilds and replaced them with the three factions. Oblivion doesn't seem to have that even. Maybe I just haven't played far enough yet. Maybe I'm just tired. Meh.

27. Re: Fuck Mar 21, 2006, 00:09 Teddy

Spectacular game, but it has one game-stopper bug that's annoying. Every now and then, my movement slows to a crawl and begins to send me shuffling sideways even when I have no buttons pressed. Only way to get rid of it is save the game, quit out of the game completely then reload. Has happened to me probably 3 times an hour since I started playing.

Haven't seen a bird yet. Saw a butterfly or two...

The menu system is OBVIOUSLY constructed to be easier to use with a controller. Much prefer the Morrowind inventory system.

The new travel system I was concerned about beforehand, but it ended up being a nice touch that takes a lot of the tedium out of walking everywhere, so you don't end up with those five hundred fights with stupid grub things that rush you all the time just walking from one city to the next.

I adore the new combat system... nothing like hurling fireballs at someone while backpedalling madly and lifting my shield now and again in a vain attempt to block my opponent's blows. It's a LOT more action intensive now that you have to actively block attacks instead of relying on the passive system of Morrowind and more so with magic as well now that you don't have to put away your weapon/shield to cast.

As for the amount of combat... there are not so many tiny little annoying battles and even those are over VERY quickly in this so long as you are capable of actually hitting your opponent. Even right off the bat, I could drop a rat with two firebolts and after my skill went up once or twice, it went down to one firebolt. Anyways, babble aside, tiny annoying battles are not so annoying and not so frequent as in Morrowind and no there are not any cliff racers that I've seen.

The graphics are stunning, though I think the bloom effects are a bit overdone in some places during the day. Too much glowing haze on stone walls and such that just wouldn't have that. Overall it gives it very much a 'fantasy' feel, but I think they'd be better served to lessen their usage of it. Even still, it's the only game that ever made me stop to look down at some wildflowers swaying in the breeze and think "Wow".

News Comments > Morning Q&As
4. Re: Starforce Mar 20, 2006, 11:05 Teddy

I'm not even a huge fan of these types of games, but with everything put forth from Stardock recently, I bought both GalCiv I and II just to support them.

I have my moments where I enjoy playing GalCiv 2, but it's less than once a week. Still don't regret buying the games one bit.

News Comments > X3 Demo Hotfix
5. Re: StarForce Mar 11, 2006, 16:43 Teddy

Only the european release of X2 had starforce. The US release did not. As odd as that was.

News Comments > Ubisoft Schedule Leaked?
1. Tom Clancy's Firehawk? Mar 10, 2006, 23:30 Teddy

Eh?

Rainbow Six 5 I already knew about...

Ghost Recon 4 seemed a given considering the rave reviews GRAW has gotten since release.

I'm fairly familiar with Tom Clancy work... Firehawk doesn't sound like anything that I've heard of from him before.

News Comments > SÖLDNER Patch
1. Hmmm Mar 10, 2006, 23:26 Teddy

Cynical and pointlessly negative as it may be, only one thought came to mind when seeing this bit of news:

33,670 versions and it still sucks?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
91. Re: What's an energy drink? Mar 8, 2006, 21:01 Teddy

Sometimes I do a double take with Coke Zero because I think I accidently got the real stuff.

That's a joke, right? Coke Zero tastes almost identical to diet coke, which is VERY different from Coke Classic.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Vegas
42. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2006, 15:48 Teddy

At least it looks like they're use a derirative of the latest Spliter Cell engine rather than the tired Raven Shield one.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Splinter Cell and Raven-Shield use the same engine. Just different variations of the Unreal engine.

37. Re: Meh Mar 7, 2006, 02:05 Teddy

What was the last rainbow six game made, actually? I downloaded the expansion (the free one), was there anything after that?

Nothing worth noting.

I doubt any actual counterterrorist team would enjoy operating in such an absurd scenario

That's part of what I'm worried about. The scenarios in Lockdown were nowhere NEAR something that Rainbow would take care of. If there were a hundred bloody terrorists that took over several city blocks including several buildings, that's something the army would handle, not a small team insertion.

"Sir! A hundred terrorists have taken over several city blocks in New York! What's worse, they've taken TWO HOSTAGES!!!"

"Good GOD! Send in four men, NOW!"

"Four?! Are you sure? Don't you think that's overdoing it, sir?"

"Hmm... Yes, I suppose you're right. Make sure that three of them are retarded, flashbang themselves on a regular basis, shoot blindly at walls and complain like children all the time. That out to balance things out."

Rainbow is SUPPOSED to be about small, contained situations that the local police can't handle - single building/complex takeovers that are already surrounded by local police.

In Lockdown, while it had some nice touches to it, overall the game felt like little more than a shooting gallery with nearly 100 terrorists with very bad aim and no discernable tactics on every level.
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 02:12.

32. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 21:15 Teddy

Weeeee! Confirmed by the folks at the UBI forums...

There IS a PC version and as Geiger (one of the UBI community Managers) put it "We'll be developing the PC version specifically for the PC."

According to one of the devs (Goliath) that posted on the forums, they're apparently waiting on some exclusivity deal for the release of the information. Likely some PC mag paid for the rights to release the first info on the PC version.

26. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2006, 17:13 Teddy

The funniest thing about this is, if you look at the actual announcements posted on www.rainbowsixgame.com/us or www.rainbowsixgame.com/uk there is absolutely ZERO mention of a PC version at all.

UBISOFT GOES ALL-IN WITH TOM CLANCY’S RAINBOW SIX® VEGAS FOR NEXT-GENERATION CONSOLES!

Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announced that it is developing Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Vegas for next-generation and current-generation video game consoles.

Where the console gamers get TWO brand new Rainbow Six titles this year (Critical Hour and now Vegas), we got a console reject from last year (Lockdown) and next year, we'll likely get another console port in Vegas for the PC.

I can hardly contain my excitement.

News Comments > Dear Diaries
1. GRIN or not to GRIN? Mar 5, 2006, 12:18 Teddy

GRAW movie is again xbox 360 footage. Nothing to do with GRIN. Still no public footage of the PC version aside from that one shakycam from back in august.

GRAW PC = GRIN
GRAW X360 Singleplayer = UBI Paris
GRAW X360 Multiplayer = Red Storm Entertainment
GRAW Xbox = UBI Shanghai

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter PC Delayed Again
17. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2006, 19:42 Teddy

Did any gamers actually WANT Ghost Recon to be turned into a 3rd person arcade game like this? I would have liked an improved Ghost Recon, instead we got something completely unrelated that uses the franchise for what the marketing department think is an instant fan-base.

The PC version of GRAW is not 3rd person. That's the xbox 360 version. PC is in first person only.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate
12. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2006, 19:35 Teddy

The friendly AI seem more prone to shooting now rather than hesitating, and I've also noticed myself getting a LOT less 'unauthorized use of force/lethal force' dings lately. Seems like they've tweaked that so it isn't such an unrealistic expectation.

In the original, I got dinged for things like shooting a perp that tried to flee from the room with a weapon after I called for compliance. Hasn't happened once in the expansion.

News Comments > PoP: Sands of Time Movie Plans
5. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2006, 13:48 Teddy

Interesting choice for Bruckheimer though, he will have to work hard to find things to blow up.

He'll find a way. Just wait and see. He did it with King Arthur, why can't he do it here?

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Demo Plans
4. Re: Old confirmation Feb 24, 2006, 03:48 Teddy

Probably because there really isn't any news to speak of about the PC version of this game. Anything at all is considered news. To to be fair, this was also something that went on in the console forums...

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Demo Plans
1. Old confirmation Feb 23, 2006, 23:51 Teddy

They've confirmed many times that a demo is planned for both the 360 and the PC versions. That's nothing new. What is new is people posting enough threads claiming the demo is out just to piss people off that a mod had to step in and start banning people for it.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 41.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo