Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Previews
24. Re: Morning Previews Apr 30, 2012, 16:44 Teddy

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 30, 2012, 14:50:
I played a warrior and guardian, almost exclusively melee, and I had to dodge a ton or I died. I think ranged can just stand and spam, which is less fun and also imbalanced. Being up close with mobs 3-4 levels above me, I had to watch for their special attacks and negate them, or lose half my life. Did it require the reflexes of a FPS? Not quite, but I enjoyed it.

This is definitely something they need to find some way to balance better, giving melee weapons extra toughness or vitality or something because melee take WAY more damage than ranged and don't deal a significant amount more damage to compensate.

I think my biggest quest complaint for what I played of GW2 thus far is spawn-camping. They should cap the zones to even lower max populations if they're going to have quests that other players compete for so directly. Or up the spawn rates based on the player count. Something. Personally, I hate MMOs, loved that GW1 was not in fact an MMO, and was really down to learn that GW2 was going to be an MMO. But they could mitigate the spawn-camping (already do for certain things, like scaled events); they need to eradicate it entirely.

What spawn camping? Mobs aren't flagged, and anyone can contribute to killing them and get credit toward their own objectives. I suppose it can be an issue if there's 10 people per mob and it's dying before people can get a hit in, since one hit is all it will take to get credit. I experienced nothing of the sort in the 20 some odd hours I put in over the weekend.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: guildwars 2 Apr 28, 2012, 17:06 Teddy

WarpCrow wrote on Apr 28, 2012, 14:00:
I have no idea if the fun will last long enough to inspire long-term subscriptions.

What subscriptions?

News Comments > TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow
12. Re: TERA Headstarts Today and Tomorrow Apr 27, 2012, 23:21 Teddy

Ripperjack wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:31:
Ozmodan wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 13:11:
For a game that bombed in Korea, I just don't understand the excitement that is being generated over it. It is basically the same game, but a more westernized version.

Indeed, I predict this game going Free2Play within 3 months.

Also, strange how ArenaNet has their first Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase beta event over this weekend as well... ahhh, I see what you did their ArenaNet, well played sir!

Coincidence. Their previous two beta weekends (that were pretty much Press only) were scheduled last weekend of their respective months as well.

3. Re: Morning Previews Apr 23, 2012, 20:00 Teddy

Fibrocyte wrote on Apr 23, 2012, 17:55:
I've been dabbling with Tera lately and it's quite nice.

Tera was alright, but nothing revolutionary from what I saw. The melee combat made decent use of their "active combat" claim with plenty of dodging and maneuvering, but as soon as I swapped to a sorcerer, "active combat" was a joke. All the spells stopped me dead in my tracks to use, even my basic attack so it was stand in one place fire at the enemy until he got too close, click the auto jump backwards button, repeat. Pretty dull stuff.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial Weekend
18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial Weekend Apr 19, 2012, 14:43 Teddy

Tim Collins wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 07:58:
I can tell u that there is absolutely no end game. Once u hit 50 there isn't much to do. I ended up pvping everyday till 1.2, at that point I got so much rage from playing the pointless game I quit.

Yup, none whatsoever. Just disregard the 8 hard mode dungeons and the 3 raids, each with 3 difficulties. Nothing there at all.

News Comments > TERA Open Beta Weekend
5. Re: TERA Open Beta Weekend Apr 18, 2012, 22:51 Teddy

Paranoid Jack wrote on Apr 18, 2012, 22:43:
Did they change the date? I thought it was suppose to kick off this Friday.

People who pre-ordered get in on thursday at noon. People who didn't get in on Friday at noon (PST)

And April 20th is this friday...

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
42. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 19:04 Teddy

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 00:35:
While I agree that exclusive content is not the right incentive in this case, I think your logic here is problematic as well. This bonus mission is not deemed to be part of the game by the designers, as evidenced by the fact that they don't intend to create it as part of the game right now. It's no more part of the game than any other mission created by anyone else using the toolset. It's simply a bonus mission that happens to be created by the developer because the funders kicked in enough extra money for them to do so. Your opinion that anything they do must be part of the game is just that, your opinion. You don't seem to have any real basis for your claim though.

Are you serious? I don't have any basis for my claim, other than the fact that the content we're talking about will be developed by the creators of the game, ready for launch and shipped with the game. THAT IS GAME CONTENT. Using words like "bonus" and "exclusive" doesn't make it any less game content that is not included for a specific subset of the population who will buy this game.

Anything they do that IS PART OF THE GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE, is part of the game. It's pretty basic. Really. External things like T-shirts, art books, etc, etc are all well and good. Extra "exclusive" quests? No way in hell. Hell, I don't even care if they make it paid DLC and give it to certain backer levels for free. But exclusive stuff that people who weren't backers aren't allowed to have is pathetic. If they go through with that, I'll withdraw my money in a heartbeat.

News Comments > EA Denies Layoff Rumor
34. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 18:47 Teddy

ASeven wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:48:
Suddenly all those guys saying TOR could sink EA aren't that silly anymore. Since TOR was at least $100M in costs if not more (That ealuser's blog suddenly becomes even more reliable, he was spot on on TOR) like $300M, such a failure will hurt EA one way or another. You can't shrug off $300M as if they were nothing.

Wonder if this may mean Bioware will join that huge graveyard of devs EA killed after milking them to death. It won't be good for them this failure that's for sure.

By all those guys, you mean you? No, it still sounds "silly" to use your words. I wouldn't be as nice.

32. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 18:44 Teddy

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 15:07:
Tim Collins wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:37:
The new star wars patch is a complete disaster, its so bad they gave everybody a free month.

Yep. They have a strange way of patching and communicating changes. I haven't played since January and just hopped on real quick to check what 1.2 was like last week only to find all of my skill points refunded for a respec. WTF?!?
How about a little notification about why this was deemed necessary? Maybe give a quick outline of any underlying class changes in the notice so I know what this is all about.
Or am I supposed to dig up the info on their forums (that are down for "maintenance" every time a shitstorm brews on the horizon)? Fuck off. I'm not digging up anything. You fuck with my build, you explain why.

What a bunch of hacks and amateurs...

You mean like in the extensive list of patch change notes that were listed clearly in the launcher when you were downloading and installing the patch? It mentioned that several classes had their points refunded, and mentioned in each specific class change notes which ones were refunded along with all of the talent changes themselves. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting.

16. Re: EA Denies Layoff Rumor Apr 16, 2012, 14:25 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 13:17:
BF3 sold over 3 million units on all platforms combined and apparently had the worst sales of any BF game on PC. Maybe the Origin link really hurt it on PC particularly with BC2 being on steam. EA really shot themselves in the foot with that stupidity.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=battlefield+3

If by over 3 million, you mean 12.79 million, then yes. It certainly sold over 3 million. Incidentally, that's not including any sales numbers from Origin.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone
32. Re: Shadowrun Returns $1M Milestone Apr 16, 2012, 00:23 Teddy

Flatline wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 23:45:

You're getting the complete game. Think of this game sort of like Neverwinter Nights, where you had a main story, plus you had a robust mission editor to create new content. Now imagine an ad that says "preorder today and get an EXCLUSIVE BONUS MISSION by the creators of the game!"

You're having some problems with logic. If there's an "exclusive bonus mission" that's complete at release and only given to certain people, then people that aren't getting it are ABSOLUTELY not getting the complete game. The complete game would be every bit of the game made in time for release.

Exclusive content is exactly the sort of thing that many people, including myself hate seeing from publishers as evidenced by those voicing against it. I'm sick to death of "pre-order bonuses" and especially vendor specific bonuses, wondering what I'm missing out on by going to my preferred vendor.

What you think is 'normal' for kickstarter is irrelevant. What the people handing the money over want is what's relevant. I sure as hell don't want exclusive content for me or for anyone else.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2012, 20:32 Teddy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 17:22:
How long till the US imposes sanctions on Canada for this heresy!?

I dont want to live in a country who's neighbors can just go un-checked and terrorism is allowed to prosper and flourish.

It's high time we kept those little bastards in check. President Romney won't allow for this kind of shit to go down on *his* watch.

This comment paid for by Romney/Kony 2012!

<insert "Canadia : MC Frontalot" >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 15, 2012, 20:15 Teddy

Creston wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 14:37:
Has anyone else had problems with Offline mode lately? When my internet went down again, I tried putting Steam in offline mode, and the stupid thing said that "This operation cannot be completed in offline mode."

What, you mean turning ON offline mode? WTF?

Looking at Steam's support forum, it seems tons of people have the same issue, and of course Valve has yet to respond to a single one of the threads opened on the topic...

I'm just going to run it offline all the time, I guess. What's the point of offline mode if it doesn't fucking work when you need it??

Creston

Can't speak for anyone else, but mine still works fine. Just tested by disabling my NIC and tried several games. SP only games didn't even mention that I'd gone offline, Skyrim told me that it couldn't connect for a cloud sync and warned me that I wouldn't be able to use progress from another system, but it still ran fine when I said 'okay'. It swapped from online to offline through the manual switch fine, and halted (as expected) when trying to swap back online manually before I enabled my NIC again.

Anyways, point is, it's definitely not some sort of policy change. It has to be a bug or something interfering with it.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
13. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 15, 2012, 07:39 Teddy

NKD wrote on Apr 15, 2012, 03:18:
Little reason to make up evidence. I think we all know there's plenty of copyrighted material on MegaUpload

They're not making up evidence, that's not the point. The entire arrest and seizure was illegal without the proper warrant, and the tape of the raid has vanished to hide the display of unnecessary force Kim Dotcom complained about when he was arrested in the first place.

Further, the US DoJ is still trying to claim it has the right to delete everything and refuse Dotcom's lawyer's access to any of the stored material (read: Evidence) prior to an actual trial.

This has sleaze written all over it.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 14, 2012, 17:05 Teddy

Quboid wrote on Apr 14, 2012, 13:06:
humanity.faith++

Turns out, you can't just shrug off collateral damage and that people who aren't even accused of any crimes have rights too!

The whole story, including articles linked from this article is actually quite interesting.

The US authorities didn't have the proper warrant when they arrested him and took all his stuff, and tried to get the right warrant as an afterthought with the expectation that it would be retroactive.

Then they "lost" the video footage of the raid, which was safe and secure in police custody.

As shady as Dotcom is, the US DoJ is coming across as even shadier in this scenario.

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts
33. Re: The Old Republic Update Bears Gifts Apr 13, 2012, 23:39 Teddy

Blegvad wrote on Apr 13, 2012, 12:51:
The free 30 days reeks of desperation.

It really does. The timing of it is what's really interesting. Their next investor's call is in May. This free month boosts their active subscriptions numbers pretty much right up to that point, which would blunt any fall-off that they might have to report.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access
20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Grant Beta & Early Access Apr 10, 2012, 13:26 Teddy

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:21:
Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 13:11:
The best they can do in Canada is EB fucking games? Whilst I love Anet, NCSoft has to be the worst publisher out there. They need to rid themselves of that particular albatross around their neck.

That albatross that paid 250 salaries for 5 years to make an MMO with half a dozen unique and untested mechanics? I'd say they could do worse.

Not to mention NCSoft OWNS Anet and all of the associated IP's. It's definitely a great idea to toss away all your funding, all the work you've done to date, the world and lore you've created, all because a few gamers don't "like" NCSoft or the distributors they do business with. That's some fantastic business advice.

News Comments > TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded
19. Re: TAKEDOWN Kickstarter Funded Apr 3, 2012, 08:17 Teddy

Creston wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 01:35:
I may be remembering it wrong, but didn't this guy basically say that this Kickstart was solely to get enough money so he could build something to take to a publisher? If so, why the hell support that? I'm sure the publisher isn't going to fuck shit up at all. Rolleyes

the game he promised in his Kickstart's not going to get delivered once a publisher gets involved, and I'm somehow doubtful a publisher is going to honor $15 dollar pledges.

tl;dr - fuck publishers.

Creston

There's been some debate on that. What he's said is that he's going to private investors that supposedly don't want and won't have creative input, rather than a traditional publisher to look over his shoulder through the whole thing.

As for the whole "bending to public pressure" that someone said... isn't that exactly the sort of thing we WANT from a kickstarter based project? Someone that listens to the fans? What did he 'bend' on? The original name that everyone said was silly and suggested alternatives? The lack of defining information on what would differentiate this title from games that dub themselves "tactical" these days? Both are things that backers said he needed to sort out if he wanted people to pay any attention, so he did.

I do agree that initially it looked like a half-assed attempt, with no real information about what he wanted to do besides bringing up the holy names of titles of old and using the word 'tactical' a lot. He did put in some effort later on to clarify some things, but there's still a distinct lack of details on what he's planning. I'm of the opinion that he came to Kickstarter WAY too early and should have at least had a conceptual plan, feature list (even if just a theoretical one) and a bit of concept art, though he did talk about the latter and I sort of agree with him to a certain extent, a picture of guys in uniform with guns doesn't really say much these days. We know what uniforms look like, we know what guns look like, but what I'd suggested instead was concept art of a planning map or something like that to show some of the differences.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! 2 Announced; Adds Co-op
21. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Announced; Adds Co-op Apr 3, 2012, 00:34 Teddy

dangerman77 wrote on Apr 2, 2012, 20:08:
Did the orcs die at the end of the first one?

That depends on whether you got the blue, green or red ending.

News Comments > Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN
26. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 28, 2012, 02:35 Teddy

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 27, 2012, 20:40:
I'm sorry but when they compare COD to a tactical shooter they just show what a complete bunch of idiots they are.

Good thing you read and listened to what they had to say before you ran your mouth off like an idiot. They didn't compare CoD to a tactical shooter, they very specifically talked about how the term Tactical Shooter has been co-opted by action games LIKE CoD.

You can NOT have a tactical game that runs on a console. END OF STORY.

Because you said so? Goodness, what a great argument. I'm sure sold.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo