Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Combat Announced
14. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2006, 22:32 Teddy

Free is one of the finest words in the english language.

I loved the SP in FEAR. I don't need or want five thousand different types of enemies in a game, myself, just ones that work together and behave well and that's what I got. I also LOVED the invisible ninja dudes. Scariest enemies I've faced since the assassins in the original Half-life, maybe even more so. Invisible/stealth enemies that can do mass damage if they catch you off-guard are far more interesting for me than the usual run-of-the-mill bigger, stronger, takes 5000 bullets to stop bosses that so many games are fond of.

That all said, the MP was VERY lacking previously, so any enhancements are more than welcome. I sincerely hope there are options to play the game in a more tactical team elimination environment. The random action-arcade style sprint-and-shoot games tend to bore the hell out of me.

Edit: I wonder if 10 game modes is really just 5 game modes with each having a 'slo-mo' variant...
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 22:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Attack on Pearl Harbor and Monster Truck Maniax Revealed
19. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2006, 10:52 Teddy

Also need to consider the lack of competition that is handy in driving technology forward (and downward in price).

Lack of competition won't be an issue for much longer as Havok FX will be out soon.

As for MP diferences, I would imagine that if the device is sufficiently successful and creates such a difference in the game (ie destructable terrain) that there would be server filters for games - meaning some servers would be physx-enabled servers, some would not be.

News Comments > EA Server Shutdowns
45. Re: Alternatives Aug 4, 2006, 15:16 Teddy

If any of these games have LAN capabilities, then you just need an IP tunneling program like hamachi to act as a virtual lan. Of course that only works if you know the IP of the people you're going to play with, but at least you can still play with friends.

News Comments > The Early Show
9. Re: Still Hope Aug 2, 2006, 18:52 Teddy

I doubt that -- you're quite the idealist.

Feel free to doubt all you like. You're quite the cynic. Your doubt only illustrates that you neither know nor have even spoken to people in either company.

They know full well the market they're in and that there is more money elsewhere yet they choose to remain making realistic tactical games for the PC that require countless hours of costly research that action-arcade titles simply do not.

UBI on the other hand is struggling to bend their games to gain more mass appeal, removing any complexity and depth that might cause the user to have to think for half a moment before acting. They are intentionally lowering the realism in the gameplay in their "realistic" shooters and replacing that with hollywood realism. Look at this video as an excellent example. He babbles on about the realism they're focusing on and what realism is it that he's concerned with? Visual detail and animation of the soldiers. Not game mechanics, not weapon ballistics, not damage model.

"Look look how realistic our game is! See how realistic that patch looks on his uniform?"

It's kind of hard to tell when he's sprinting at 65km/h, whilst precision firing an M60 on full auto.

News Comments > Wednesday Hardware Reviews
1. Armadillo Aug 2, 2006, 12:45 Teddy

Heh. The armadillo isn't a mouse. It's a mouse cord holder to help keep the cord from getting stuck on things.

News Comments > The Early Show
4. Re: Still Hope Aug 2, 2006, 12:37 Teddy

It's not "losing" millions, it's just not making additional millions. There's a difference.

I know for a fact that game companies make more money on hollywood-style arcade shooters and still consistantly hope that some companies will look past the shiny dollar signs and make a niche title like Flashpoint, Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon, Red Orchestra, etc.

There are -some- companies out there like Tripwire and Bohemia Interactive that are interested in making good tactical shooters regardless of whether or not it keeps them in a niche market. They're interested in earning money making GOOD games over making MORE money with mediocre games. That's what it boils down to. Realistic tac shooters sell and turn profits. They always have. Problem is, it's not about making money. Making money is never enough, it's about making MORE money and that is where the game industry and society as a whole consistantly take a nosedive in ethics.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 12:38.

News Comments > Dark Messiah & Resident Evil 4 Delayed
10. Re: RE4 Jul 28, 2006, 15:09 Teddy

Inotherwords, as lame as my rap, the game is worse by far.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/cube/residentevil4?q=resident%20evil%204

It seems the rest of the world disagrees with you. But then that shouldn't be too shocking considering how rediculous most of your comments are.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Free Booster, Trial Plans
12. Re: great game, cool booster pack Jul 26, 2006, 13:36 Teddy

Evidently you can.

I'm going to take a different spin and bitch about people not bitching about the free content. Where the hell is everyone? What's wrong with you people? GET ON IT!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - CivCity: Rome
1. Not bad... Jul 26, 2006, 00:37 Teddy

Not a bad game thus far. A few minor bugs and not a ton of in-game options (lack of mouse sensitivity was particularly noticable for me, but whatever).

Apparently running in 1280x1024 causes a bug in selecting buildings. The building selection isn't lined up with the mouse cursor. Problem doesn't occur in 1024x768.

There's also no confirmation on the destroy building option which irked me a bit (especially when combined with the building selection bug, I deleted one or two things I didn't want to).

Basically, it's civilization on a city scale. Same tech tree research concept with the same items (alphabet, mysticism, engineering, etc), though how far forward it goes, I really don't know yet. You NEVER seem to be short on people. My largest problem thus far has been providing enough work and homes for the vagrants without running out of money from the building costs. If you don't give them work and housing, then the city happiness suffers as a result and people start leaving.

Minor points of amusement are my people getting eaten by mountain lions of some sort and getting threatening missives from Atilla the Hun.

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter Map Plans
11. Re: AA Jul 23, 2006, 16:43 Teddy

The fact that you've mentioned HDR at all, Mike shows clearly that you have not bothered to read up on the situation or the technology involved. Yes, it IS in fact impossible to perform MSAA with deferred lighting. HDR doesn't even enter into the discussion as it has nothing to do with anything.

Since you didn't bother to read before you bitched last time, I doubt you'll bother to read now, but hey I'll at least ante up with the proof.

http://download.nvidia.com/developer/presentations/GDC_2004/D3DTutorial_Sim.pdf

Now considering that and also considering how deeply embedded the deferred lighting/shading is in the GRAW engine, if you actually expect them to re-engineer the entire thing, remove the deferred lighting/shading and rewrite with an entirely different form of lighting just so that you can have a form of AA that you are used to, then you sir are a moron. Then again, if you have a few hundred thousand dollars to fund that venture, by all means contact UBI about it.

Lesson of the day? Learn what the fuck you're talking about before you open your mouth.

8. Re: AA Jul 22, 2006, 18:08 Teddy

It's been said a thousand times, but hey... what's once more?

There IS NO OTHER ANTI-ALIASING SOLUTION AVAILABLE. Deferred lighting makes MSAA (the type of FSAA that you are used to) COMPLETELY impossible. The only alternatives are SSAA which would drag framerates into the single digits for everyone, or the intelligent blur effect which is what they already added.

No amount of asking, pleading, demanding, complaining, or anything else will get you another type of anti-aliasing other than the one you already have.

News Comments > The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms Demo
1. Wow... Jul 21, 2006, 22:29 Teddy

I'm not even going to comment on the gameplay other than to say it felt like a game from 10 years ago.

My question is... What the hell was that voice over for the intro? Did they just give one of the coders a mic at his computer desk and a sheet of paper and say "Here, read this."?

5. Re: Can someone tell me why... Jul 21, 2006, 22:14 Teddy

Paranoid, the 360 version is more action/arcade than sim, including things like medics reviving dead teammates and a more effective run and gun style gameplay.

That said, it's entertaining for the type of game it is and the MP side has thousands of options to configure games in pretty much any way you like, including even the ability to set the damage model to a more lethal level to force people to play more carefully. The story in the 360 version is also a touch more fleshed out and doesn't have some small discrepancies that the PC version's story does, but that's nit-picking for me.

I've played both the 360 and PC versions through and I MUCH prefer the feel of the PC version. I just wish the MP side of things was as polished and detailed as the 360 version.

4. Re: Can someone tell me why... Jul 21, 2006, 22:08 Teddy

Actually, the main complaints have nothing to do with SP. The AI works very well once you get used to how they work and learn to use them to your advantage. There are a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings about the friendly AI and the commands you can give them that result in people believing it's poor code rather than poor use by the player. That said, of course there are still moments where you wonder what the hell the AI was thinking.

The main complaints are in the MP side of things. Lack of available game modes, lack of configurable options, lack of dedicated server files (meaning you must have a graphics card to run a server, which further means it's more expensive to host a server), inability to kick/ban troublemaking players, bugged TK kicking code (just doesn't work), and a buggy AC that apparently kicks people for no reason (though I can't say that's ever happened to me).

But yes, on the SP side of things people have been frustrated with the difficulty of the game and it does require a monster of a machine to run, but I would hardly say those are the main complaints.

News Comments > Hot Coffee Cools - FTC & Take-Two Settle
8. Re: I do Jul 21, 2006, 15:33 Teddy

And we were all doing so well ignoring him up until this moment...

News Comments > New Red Orchestra Content Next Week
8. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2006, 22:33 Teddy

It's a fantastic game. It's just not for people who are looking for an easy or unrealistic shooter. Those people can stick to the Battlefield series or any of the series of arcade shooters out there.

I'll definitely be looking forward to this update.

News Comments > Clive Barker's Jericho Revealed
14. Re: Clive Jul 18, 2006, 20:15 Teddy

Again, venomhed so tron needn't point it out, all you've provided is heresay. Provide a source for your claims or they're nothing but meaningless babble.

News Comments > War Rock Beta Tomorrow
13. Re: No subject Jul 14, 2006, 21:00 Teddy

it had this annoying bug where you and your enemy could kill eachother at the same time which was quite annoying

Why is that a bug? Sounds perfectly normal to me.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: It doesn't matter... Jul 13, 2006, 07:53 Teddy

I meant that people cannot come up with valid reasons for buying a PS3.

You mean they cannot come up with reasons YOU consider valid. Thankfully, no one needs your validation of their opinions or reasons to do anything.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - The Ship
11. Re: Explain gameplay Jul 11, 2006, 17:57 Teddy

As I understand it, everyone on the ship is given a target. So while you are hunting your prey and trying to kill them without being spotted by the AI guards, someone else is hunting -you-.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo