Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Google Ad Sense for Games
21. Re: Adblock plus & flashblock Jul 30, 2008, 17:07 Teddy

I think Adblock Plus has that built in because I run just Adblock plus and I get no flash animations, no sliding banners, no nothing.

I think running anything with Adblock Plus is redundant. I believe adblock plus blocks everything. And I friggin love it!

You think wrong.

Adblock stops advertisements from being displayed, and yes it generally stops flash animation ads as well. What it doesn't stop are scripts that run in the background which are a large source of tracking cookies and other menial things that build up, as well as far more offensive adware/spyware/viral threats.

That's what noscript is meant to stop. You'd be shocked if you ran it to see how many sites have scripts running from known adware/spyware companies. I wouldn't consider surfing the web without it anymore.

Adblock Plus is a wonderful addon, but to suggest that Noscript is redundant when used in conjunction is just plain naive misinformation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hell's Kitchen: The Video Game Announced
22. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 19:09 Teddy

I agree with you ... it's one thing to watch the show I peeked at a few episodes but in real life..not fake reality TV life that guy would be toast. I've seen people get their arms sliced in a kitchen for less than what he does.

Having worked under several corporate and executive chefs, I seriously question your experience in high end restaurants if you think anyone would dare touch Ramsay in his own kitchen.

Even a "whoops" accidental cut would be the end of your career, sentencing you to dwell in chain restaurants for the rest of your life, and if there's ANY suspicion that it was intentional, you're going to jail. Period.

More to the point, he's not even the worst chef I've seen. Like it or not, there are some REAL drama queens out there in the business.

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Q&A
5. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 07:22 Teddy

Remember, without piracy, you'd sell 15-20 times as many copies.

I know it's the cool thing to bash the guys at Crytek now, but really, they never once said that. What he said was very simply, he believes the game (Crysis) was pirated 15-20 times as often as it was sold. I don't find that particularly far fetched.

Of course I do take issue with his sentiment that they'd have sold significantly more copies if not for piracy. As far as I'm concerned, Crytek shot themselves in the foot striving to make a game that had such high system requirements, not to mention the demo was fairly underwhelming for me. The funny thing is, I had a copy available to me at one point (roommate bought, so not a penny of my own to spend on it) and never even got around to installing it, I was so apathetic toward the game.

Here's hoping Far Cry 2 draws more interest.

News Comments > Age of Conan Still Popular
35. Re: AOC... Jul 1, 2008, 09:26 Teddy

I've been doing "x to y" quests for about 40 levels are so, so far haven't done anything out of the MMO ordinary. This might change when I start participating in PvP sieges of course.

Oh yeah, didn't they tell you? Those aren't in yet. Or as they like to put it, Sieges are in, there just aren't any guilds with Tier 3 cities because you can't build Tier 3 cities yet. So yeah, have fun with the amazing siege code we've implemented. That was about the point when I cancelled my subscription. That was a week or two ago, mind you.

Of course they may have fixed the problem with creating T3 cities by now, but considering it took them 3 weeks after launch to get stats to function... I have my doubts. Yes, that's right, at release the only stat that worked properly was Constitution. Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom... all useless at launch. It was cool. You could grind and kill and slave in a group dungeon for some kickass gear to realize after the fact that all that fancy equipment did exactly nothing to help you.

Edit: I've just checked and apparently they -have- corrected the issue and in the most recent patch they've put in the vendors necessary to buy siege weapons. You may now "apply" to siege someone elses battle keep.
This comment was edited on Jul 1, 09:35.

News Comments > Spector on Long Games
24. Re: No subject Jun 18, 2008, 18:32 Teddy

Game costs are ALREADY costing 35-40 mill, and optional side quests are what keep me coming back to a game.

You do realize that this is the whole point, right? They don't WANT you coming back to a game. Coming back to a game means you are still playing that game instead of buying a new one. They want you to buy the next one in the series, even though it's pretty much the same as the one before with new missions/quests.

News Comments > Age of Conan Plans
48. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 20:02 Teddy

This is when I leveled the fastest and had the most quests.
Hmm, obviously fastest leveling was the first 10 but, relatively 30-40 was a breeze
Are you sure you have any idea what you're talking about?

Khopshef Province has tons of 30-40 quests.
Wild Lands of Zelata has 30-40 quests.
You can join a Sanctum group and get over two lvls from those quests at 35.
Tons of other stuff but I have trouble recalling zone names.

I didn't even touch Sanctum yet and I went from 30-40 without much of an issue. Only ran Khopshef and Wild Lands and the quests in there were enough to get me from 20-40. That still leaves ALL of the Cimmeria quests (whatever that village is called) and the Sanctum quests. Didn't touch my gathering quests until 40 either.

News Comments > Age of Conan Plans
47. Re: Sooo.....? Jun 13, 2008, 19:53 Teddy

and items arent broken. they just dont have the value that wow puts on them. a blue lvl 50 item isnt all that much better than a green one. i, for one, am happy to see a game that doesnt have gear that improves you by multiples. i like the idea that stats are capped. i like the idea that i dont "have" to have the most uber gear to compete or do content.

Actually, in a sticky interview on the forums, one of the funcom guys stated that stats are not currently working as they're supposed to, so until they're fixed, we won't know if there's a significant difference between levels of gear.

News Comments > Gothic 4 Subtitle, Details
31. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2008, 17:30 Teddy

I am from the US, your saying the publisher and PB had a *mutual contract* to give PB's IP *Gothic* series to the publisher to do with as they wish? As in make a sequel to the Gothic series without any input from the PB, the original creators and makers of the last 2 and a half games.

And you believe this *mutual contract* the publisher just payed (as apposed to stealing it as I mentioned) for this privilege to PB (the creator), as they would in my retarded country?

Yes, actually that's exactly how it works. PB could not publish the game on their own, so they find a publisher who draws up a contract and offers to front the money. Part of that contract, on a fairly routine basis is that the publisher will own the rights to the IP which means they can go and do whatever they like with it afterwards. PB signed that contract knowing full well what it meant to transfer the IP rights, that they would have NO say in whether or not a sequel was made, or whether or not they were the ones to make it.

If PB didn't like the terms of the contract, they shouldn't have signed. Of course, from what I heard, they were having a rough time trying to find someone to publish for them in the first place, so they had the choice to sign over the rights to their IP and chance a dramatic success or go out of business.

Theft involves taking something that belonged to someone else without their permission. That was clearly not the case, however much you may like to believe it, or however much you may hate the publisher involved or the situation.

Be careful when you try to make someone else look stupid. It helps to make sure you're not saying something ignorant in the process.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Disk Space Issue
30. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 17:10 Teddy

They really need to fix it in a patch... soon.

I wouldn't expect a 'fix' for that. It's exactly how Vegas 1 worked, and that was never changed. Doubt they'll change it here either. We all complained about it back then too.

News Comments > ArmA II Presentation
4. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 02:25 Teddy

Do you see as much of difference between Arma 1 and Arma 2 like we did between Opflash and Arma 1?

If you're really going to attempt a question like that, you should take note that Operation Flashpoint came out in 2001, while ArmA:1 came out in 2006 and ArmA:2 will be 2008.

5 year difference between the first two, 2 years between the second. If you'd like to wait another 3 years, I'm sure they can make something that looks as different.

News Comments > Gold Sales Lawsuit
27. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2008, 09:45 Teddy

It was far easier to work for an hour or two and buy gold, then to spend days grinding for the same thing.

They've actually addressed that recently. Upping the amount of Daily quests allows you to make 200+ gold within an hour and a half or so, and they have the benefit of providing reputation with factions and the potential for badges of justice which previously were only available through raids or heroic instances. Seeing a lot of "sales" from the gold farmers nowadays, trying to unload what they've got since it's become much easier to earn gold for yourself.

News Comments > PC Rainbow Six Vegas 2 & Assassin's Creed Delays
9. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2008, 20:20 Teddy

It doesn't ruin anything for me, as it is still possible to die, and there is still the tension of trying to get to safety to recover if you run in to an area and get overwhelmed. I prefer it to keeping an old style health # on screen and having to collect health packs or whatever. That was/is the least fun aspect of any shooter I've ever played.

Ehh... Rainbow Six never had health packs or numeric health. You get shot, you're injured or you're dead.

As for it making things more intense... it absolutely does NOT make things more intense. That's a load of crap if you ask me. Intense was Rogue Spear or Raven Shield. You were shot, you're injured. Your aim is off now, your movement is down to a limp (and a noisy one at that, compared to standard walking), and you know there are several players from the opposing team still at full health trying to track you down. Trying to find a spot of relative safety to hide in with the hopes of catching one or two of them off-guard.

The idea that sitting down somewhere until you were full health again was a LONG way away from making things more intense. OH MY GOD, my screen flashed red!!! Nevermind, I'm healed again.

The only thing that made CoD4 more intense was knowing that 'hiding places' were anything but secure. You make a noise while you're waiting on your health and they empty a magazine into the wall to try and finish you off. And to the best of my knowledge, there was no health regeneration in Hardcore mode.
This comment was edited on Mar 12, 20:29.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Vegas 2 Announced
7. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2007, 16:24 Teddy

in 2006 thanks to its technological advances and gameplay innovations

And then fell flat on it's face because it shipped with a half broken server browser, nonfunctional AC that needed to be fixed after the fact, NO dedicated server files (though they were "kind" enough to put up the work around that the community figured out while claiming it was their own), even that didn't get rcon abilities until just a few weeks ago, and they flat out refused to provide and form of map editor that might allow the community to expand on the meager amount of maps and help to make it competition worthy.

It was a fun game and could have been a competitive force if it wasn't ruined by the incompetence of those who created and published it. Well, the PC version, anyway.

Unless they show some modicum of care for the PC version, adding essentials like a -FUNCTIONAL- AC and SADS with rcon right out of the box, then I won't even go near enough to this game to spit on it.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 16:25.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Patch
13. Re: No subject Nov 15, 2007, 20:04 Teddy

I don't mind a missing patching tool, but a readme or instructions would have been nice.

http://www.infinityward.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2920.0.html

They did give instructions. Just the people who mirrored the file decided not to include them. They also stated that an autoinstaller for the patch is on the way, this was just faster and it was necessary to get the file out before the xfire tournament this weekend.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Q&A
9. Re: teh awesome Nov 12, 2007, 14:36 Teddy

Played this game all day yesterday. What a fun game. Highly reccommended.

Agreed. I was on the fence about buying it since I wasn't all that fond of the first two CoD's, but I've been pining for a good modern day MP shooter and this one fits the bill. Used to play the R6 series, but since Ubisoft dropped the ball on those and on the GR series as well, failing to offer a decent AC, SADS files and rcon control out of the box on their last bunch of titles, I'm glad to see one or two developers at least still think about what's needed for a successful PC MP shooter.

Oh, and yes, it should be mentioned that the demo level was NOT an accurate representation of the game. It struck me as very random and chaotic and that was the main reason I was considering NOT getting the game in the first place. Glad a friend convinced me otherwise.
This comment was edited on Nov 12, 14:38.

News Comments > BioShock Deactivation Tool
56. Re: ... Oct 15, 2007, 08:04 Teddy

There's a reason that no one invades the United States. A vast amount of us are armed, and some are armed to the teeth.

Yeah, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the US has the most powerful military on the planet. It must be that they're all just afraid of you and your handgun.

That was quite possibly the worst pro-gun argument I've ever seen.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch
15. Re: Server ramp up Sep 25, 2007, 19:09 Teddy

If it makes you feel better Ray, I'm on Undermine and despite being in the list, we have no voice chat either.

News Comments > Company of Heroes and Opposing Fronts Patches
2. Re: No subject Sep 25, 2007, 13:10 Teddy

wtf? 1.78 GB?

News Comments > Red Orchestra Free Play Today
12. Re: No subject Aug 29, 2007, 16:49 Teddy

Probably in attempt to balance the Subs to the bolt action rifles that you have to click Fire again after each shot to reload...which I think is pretty damn stupid.

That's not why it was done at all. They had a specific reason which they stated on the forums and in the manual, I believe.

The reason they have the bolt action rifles take the extra step is actually to help the riflemen, but you have to actually use cover for it to be of any use. (Gasp, how dare they expect you to play the game properly?) Most games require you to wait for the bolting animation before you can duck back behind cover. In RO you pop up from behind cover, fire, pop back behind your cover again, THEN bolt your rifle now that you're safe to do so.

It takes some getting used to, but it works very well once you are used to it. Personally I think they should have made it an option to automatically bolt or not, that way people won't keep whining about it.

News Comments > Guild Wars: Eye of the North Dated
1. First ever? Jul 2, 2007, 21:53 Teddy

The first ever expansion? What were Nightfall, or Factions then?

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo