Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
14. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners Apr 5, 2011, 22:25 Teddy

Or you could just, you know, say hey, they're giving away a fairly recent game for free to people who purchased DA2. If it was just about getting sales, it would only be for new purchases rather than being retroactive. Something they certainly didn't have to do.

So yeah, thank you Bioware and EA for the free game. I'm one of the few that have yet to try Mass Effect (1 or 2).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Apr 5, 2011, 11:02 Teddy

Out of curiosity, I read through the comments to see if anyone commented on the rpg codex forums about that exact thing. What I found, though, was a bunch of juvenille, homophobic, name calling elitist nonsense.

That site appears to be populated by a bunch of 30+ year old people who play old games and think they're superior to everyone, yet behave like any generic 10 year old you can hear on x-box live where everyone who disagrees with them is a 'fag' of some sort.

Time to go ahead and block that entire site from my browser so I needn't waste my time on it any more.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Demo
9. Re: Bulletstorm Demo Apr 4, 2011, 16:34 Teddy

Drezden wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 16:27:
Demo was actually... much more fun than I expected....
And sadly, it seems like a better port than Crysis 2 was... Looks better too, again sadly.

All in all, it's not a bad game. It's fun in short bouts, becomes repetitive quickly though, I found. That said, it has some very entertaining 'over-the-top' epic action sequences that you just don't get in most games that stuggle too much to imitate reality.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Demo
7. Re: Bulletstorm Demo Apr 4, 2011, 16:27 Teddy

MattyC wrote on Apr 4, 2011, 15:59:
What are these games that people had horrible GFWL problems with?

Most of the crashing issues with GFWL were early versions of it, but since they couldn't be bothered to get it running right before they force-fed it to gamers gave them an instant and long lasting bad reputation.

As for what games people had horrible experiences with? For me? How about... Bulletstorm.

I'd not used GFWL in a very very long time, to the point I was surprised it was even installed on my machine to begin with. Bought Bulletstorm, installed the game, ran it and the first thing I get is:

1) [Press Enter]

2) Log into GFWL...

3) GFWL requires an update.

4) There has been an error in the update process.

5) You must have the newest version of GFWL to play.

6) Go to step 1, repeat ad nauseum.

Now whether that's a failure of the game company to create an exit when you cannot log into GFWL, or a failure of GFWL to update from within the game is irrelevant to me. The only thing the damn program does is track "achievements" that I could care less about, and yet it forced me to alt+F4 my game and search out a manual update for the program just so that I could get to the menu screen in the game I just bought.

Now imagine that situation with someone less computer literate who didn't know how to forcibly close a program, constantly having to reboot their system and try again only to find that it's an endless loop. They won't care to try and track down the update outside the game, they'll try and take the game back and be refused in most places because it's opened software.

This is the most recent implementation of the software and it still messes with my ability to play a game I bought. THAT is why it has a bad reupation.

News Comments > Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW
54. Re: Blizzard: Diablo III Could Cannibalize WoW Mar 22, 2011, 00:36 Teddy

Talisorn wrote on Mar 21, 2011, 20:55:
Trion are already chewing away at Blizzard's ankles. There have been lots of MMOs that have tried to woo WoW players, but so far Rift is the only thing that's come close to satisfying the disaffected masses who craving the days of WoW vanilla and not have to rely on addon, meters and "press this button now" addons or play the casualised game that has become WoW.

But for everyone else, there's always LotRO.

Chewing at blizzard's ankles? They refuse to even release sales numbers, with all outside accounts suggesting that retail sales are only sitting around 170k worldwide with an estimated 40% more sold as digital downloads. That puts them at just shy of 250,000 players. Other estimates have put them as high as 340,000 players but compared with WoW's 12 million, they've not even reached blizzard's ankles. Hell, they still haven't gotten out from underneath the soles of blizzard's shoes, yet.

I wish them well, but let's not try to make them out into world conquerers just because you and your friends jumped over. There's a reason they're refusing to release their own sales and subscriber numbers, and chances are good that it's not because they want to suprise everyone with how awesome they're doing.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
14. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 16, 2011, 17:05 Teddy

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 16, 2011, 16:23:
You cannot call a sniper someone who consistently misses and fires wildly. It's a stupid way to build tension for the player when you realize your enemy suffers from Parkinson's disease while looking through the scope.

Despite what movies and video games have sold you, not all snipers are especially skilled. While the common thought is that snipers are high level marksman, that's simply because in a high level military organization, they are. Rogue factions, Terrorists, etc, don't necessarily have the same level training.

All that's required for one to meet the definition of "sniper" is to be one who fires from a concealed place.

It also doesn't require the use of weapons people like to label as "sniper rifles". A 10 year old hidden in a building taking pot shots at people with an AK47 is still a sniper.

News Comments > Violent Game Restriction Debate
9. Re: Violent Game Restriction Debate Mar 15, 2011, 23:17 Teddy

venomhed wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 21:29:
Umm, yes it has gone up. Violence is on the rise.

And you're basing the claim on?

http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm

Violent crime peaked in the early 90's and has been decreasing steadily since. The most recent date in their records was 2007, when the crime rate (that being violent crimes per 100,000 population) was the same as it was in the early 1970's.

Those statistics are straight from the FBI. Where is your evidence that crime is rising? Outside of terrorist attacks that were largely based on religious and socio-economic tensions, you cited nothing. Certainly nothing that can be laid at the feet of violent media.

The US crime rate IS higher than most countries of the same developmental level, but considering even your closest neighbour, Canada has a FAR lower crime rate and yet they still enjoy their violent media and their UFC's just as much.

Clearly there is something else that's the root of why the rate is so high in the US, rather than simply pointing the finger at violent media that every other developed country has equal access to.

I don't concede that it even contributes until your side of the argument can present even ONE valid study that proves otherwise. They have yet to do so, basing their whole case on "Think of the children!!!" style political bullying.

News Comments > THQ Stock Drops
17. Re: THQ Stock Drops Mar 15, 2011, 19:12 Teddy

DG wrote on Mar 15, 2011, 18:48:
72 = mediocre
76 = generally favourable

4 points roughly three-quarters of the way up a 100 point scale separates 'mediocre' from 'favourable'.

And, as Gamasutra notes, all the scores published pre-release (i.e. those easy to presume to have preferential NDA) had much higher than average scores.

Why I don't pay attention to reviews.

It's actually one point. From 74-75%. (or 75-76, I forget which exactly) Either way, if they're going to give subtext wording to their ratings, they have to draw the line somewhere that mediocre changes to generally favorable. It's not like "Generally favorable" means it's a great game, that's just you misinterpreting the term (not to mention removing the qualifier "Gernerally" in your version of it to try and make your argument sound better.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Beta Patch
56. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 21:22 Teddy

Again, I don't see this as having anything to do with consoles vs pc, or the orientation of the publisher toward either. It's a dollars and cents deal and for the record, those were Jerykk's words, not mine, though I do agree with him on just about everything he's said.

As I've said in the past, it has good points and bad points, like any game. I enjoy it nonetheless. The story isn't as epic, but it's interesting in it's own right and that to me is paramount in an RPG. The voice acting is spot on with interesting and varied characters. The graphics are much improved over the first with the HD pack.

It takes a step backward in a few departments, a step forward in others and a step to the side in others still. It's still a good, well polished and entertaining game even if it doesn't quite live up to it's predecessor.

I don't disagree that the developers may have chosen to cut corners at the behest of their publisher. I just disagree with your assertion that it has anything to do with the whole console vs pc debate.

52. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 21:08 Teddy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 21:07:
I'm just glad everyone is being civil.

I did my best not to be. I'll try harder in the future. Maybe I'll fit in better then.

48. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:48 Teddy

wtf_man wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:33:

PC games moving forward don't do that.
PC games moving backwards are often referred to as "Consolized", "Dumbed Down", "created for the lowest common denominator", etc.

Take your pick on what you want to call it... it all means the same thing.

/shrug

I'm going to have to disagree, still. GAMES going forward don't do that, PC or Console is irrelevant. Repeating textures, maps, or anything isn't the result of "dumbing down" anything. It doesn't make it any easier to play, or any easier for people to understand or get into the game. The game also wasn't a particularly large download, so I can't imagine it's an issue of disc space. It's just cheaper for the publishers/developers.

There's no dumbing down, consolizing, or lowest common denominator about it if you ask me. They just cheaped out on it to save money. Nothing to do with console vs. PC or porting. Just lazy and cheap.

42. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:35 Teddy

space captain wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:24:
Its ironic that you feel free to call people's perspectives idiocy and then whine and cry about someone doing the same thing to you as if it is not applicable. The same with the "personal attacks", which you have made plenty of yourself.

Does that make sense? Is it a fairly clear explanation? Seems pretty easy to grasp.

My complaint was never that you insulted me, but rather that you had nothing more to say than insults. No points to make, no logical or well-founded arguments. Again, nothing to add to the conversation.

I at the very least have made an effort to explain my position. You have not done the same to explain yours. Again, I think your grasp of irony is failing you, if ever you had one.

Edit: Just to help you out, the word you're looking for is hypocrisy, not irony. That one doesn't particularly fit either, if you ask me, but let's at least put away the shoddy misuse of the concept of irony. It deserves better.

40. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:30 Teddy

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:21:
For anyone thinking people are only talking about the combat: Its the whole game that makes you think youre sitting in front of a console. Just look at the repeating scenery and dumbed down content and controls.
I wont even start about the audacious way of implementing DX11.

How exactly are the controls dumbed down? Excluding the camera and the shorter cooldowns, the controls themselves appear identical to me. I pause or unpause the game, select a character tell him to attack a target, have a hotbar of abilities on them, select from that, go to the next character, repeat. Same as the original.

Setting the tactics for auto-control functions identically to the original game as well, save for a couple menus that are side-scrolled instead of drop down. The same options are there, the same complexity.

The repeating scenery has already been brought up, but that's hardly a "console" issue. It's no more prevalent there than it has been in PC games. It's lazy and cheap just as Jerykk pointed out, but trying to add that into your 'consolized' argument doesn't make any sense. That sort of thing has existed in PC games for ages as well.

36. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:20 Teddy

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:09:
More people like it that way? Look at all the user ratings! More people bought it maybe, but like it?

If you like such games, go play on your console and stfu or post on console sites. Dont think for a second games on PC have to be that way too.
People are pissed because BioWare, which was raised by PC people who enjoyed complex RPG games like BG, IWD, etc are now turning their backs on them by consolifying "the spiritual successor of Baldurs Gate" and you guys think its unjustified, even if many of them actually have FACTS to back up the claim of an inferior game? WTF is wrong with you?

And here we are with the "Console vs PC" junk. Let's not go into that waste of time subject for the millionth time over, shall we?

The user ratings are irrelevant and always have been, just the same as forum posts are generally negative at a game's release. People who don't like something are far more likely to talk about it than people who like it.

The only definitive statsitic that will matter in terms of whether or not people liked this game or not is how well the next one sells.

32. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:14 Teddy

space captain wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:10:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 20:07:
And yet, here you are wasting your time. The only one that's looking silly in these exchanges is you. Plenty of other people have engaged in a discussion you seem incapable of, or at the very least too lazy to participate in so you instead resort to interjecting with insults. It doesn't leave a particularly flattering image of yourself, if that's all you're capable of.

You were the one talking about "pure idiocy", remember? Im just offering you the insight that its a reflection of yourself.

Irony is a funny thing, isnt it?

I'm not sure you even understand the concept of irony. Yes, I declared it idiocy to score a game lower by rating it in comparison to a different game and I backed that up with some fairly clear explanation. You, on the other hand have done nothing but make personal attacks. If you can't see the difference between that, then I pity you. Nothing more.

29. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:07 Teddy

space captain wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:56:
i already added something, which is to state that you sound like an idiot

anything more would be a waste of time

And yet, here you are wasting your time. The only one that's looking silly in these exchanges is you. Plenty of other people have engaged in a discussion you seem incapable of, or at the very least too lazy to participate in so you instead resort to interjecting with insults. It doesn't leave a particularly flattering image of yourself, if that's all you're capable of.

28. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 20:02 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:45:
It's pure idiocy to think that players aren't going to look at a sequel in comparison to the original.

This.

Even if you pretend that DAO doesn't exist, DA2 still suffers from lazy design. Recycled dungeons, lack of environmental variety, enemies spawning out of thin air right in the middle of combat, terribly unbalanced enemy assassins/rogues, minimal dialogue with NPCs, lack of interesting moral choices, no armor customization for companions, etc.

Many view these changes as an attempt to make the game appeal to a broader audience. While that may be true for some, I think the primary cause is that DA2 was clearly rushed. For example, the lack of companion armor customization more likely stems from the need to create custom versions of each piece of armor to suit elf and dwarf physiques. Without companion armor customization, the artists only need to design armor for Hawke's physique. Of course, don't expect Bioware to admit that the game was rushed until they write a post-morterm in five to ten years.

I concede most of those as issues, (with the exception of lack of interesting moral choices, as I found several were interesting to me). The armor customization I've seen argued both ways, some would prefer to be able to replace their armor, and others are happy to see that they're not replacing the models of those characters with "generic armored knight #2" simply because that was the best equipment you had availble for them.

The dungeon recyling, variety and spawning enemies are all negative points to the game, but thus far they haven't hampered my enjoyment of it too much. Enough for me to dock the game points, but certainly not enough to spew the vitriol that I've seen from some of the people around here.

My opinion on the game is fairly straight forward. Like any game, it has good points and bad points and for me, the good outweigh the bad more then enough for me to enjoy it even if I didn't enjoy it as much as the first.

26. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:53 Teddy

JoeNapalm wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:34:
It's pure idiocy to think that players aren't going to look at a sequel in comparison to the original.

While DA2 might have been a decent action game, it's the sequel to a well-liked RPG. The people who are trashing it in their ratings are rating it as a sequel to DAO.

The simple fact is the Bioware/EA decided to cash in for the quick money and broad demographic, just like they did with ME2 - but what those wonks don't realize is, they're doing irreparable harm to Bioware's reputation.

Sure, they can make big money in the short term, but they've cooked the goose that was laying the golden eggs. The asshats responsible don't care, though - they can probably live in style for the rest of their lives, and let the IPs what we all enjoyed wither and die.

I liked it better when gaming wasn't "mainstream"...It's gotten way too Hollywood.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

There's nothing saying you can't look at a game and compare it to the original. What I'm saying is that scoring a game based on such a comparison is foolish. I already compared it to the original in my comment, when I stated that I liked the original better. That said, the fact that this game did things DIFFERENTLY is not the same as it being a vastly inferior game.

All you've done is verify my point that much the more. Gamers are rating the game based on how much they liked the original and are dropping the score of the sequel because of how different the gameplay is. Reviewers on the other hand are rating the game as it's own entity, as is their job. Their job isn't to get bogged down in nostalgia and shake their fist at change, but to look at a game and see what works and what doesn't.

The bulk of reviews have given the game a decent score, which is on average lower than the score of the first. Which goes along with exactly what I said. It's a good game, but not as good as the first.

Gamers on the other hand are using their trumped up outrage over changes to the game's style to give it absurdly low scores that have no basis in reality.

That DA2 is a different style game than DA:O doesn't make the game that it is any worse simply because you enjoyed the original more.

Hell, if that's how we're doing things, then DA:O must deserve a 2/10 because I enjoyed Fallout 2 more. That makes just as much sense as what you're suggesting.

23. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:36 Teddy

Pete wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:24:
Thats what is really stopping me from replaying the game at this point. It's like the bad guys have a time share on their club house.

Agreed. That's definitely an issue with the game. There's really no good excuse for not creating a decent array of different looking tunnels/houses if that's the only terrain you're going to have.

I miss the varied terrain of the first, it's one of the aspects that it does so much better than the second game. Forests, snow-covered mountains, varied dungeons, cities, towns, etc. Now all we have is one city with a rich side and a poor side, a handful of outdoor areas with the same look and feel, and the same few 'dungeons' over and over. Part of that is the decision to lock the story into such a small and dull looking corner of the world, something that really shouldn't have been done.

19. Re: Dragon Age II Beta Patch Mar 13, 2011, 19:29 Teddy

Dirwulf wrote on Mar 13, 2011, 19:11:

I don't know why people call the tactics menu console style, or any of the PC menus for that matter. Its point and click with the mouse. Console style would be using page up and page down keys to scroll through the menus.

I'm not sure I understand either. It has exactly the same options and is delivered in much the same way as in Origins, with the condition on the left and the followthrough on the right. The ONLY difference that I can see is that instead of drop down menus it uses a left-right scroll to go through the options.

It's different, and it's not as efficient perhaps for mouse control vs dropdown menus, but really, we're talking about at best a second or two of extra time, tops on something you don't change that often in gameplay. Just strikes me as a silly thing to be offended about.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo