Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > DRIVER San Francisco Trailer, FPS-Style Multiplayer Details
6. Re: DRIVER San Francisco Trailer, FPS-Style Multiplayer Details Apr 28, 2011, 16:03 Teddy

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 28, 2011, 14:38:
Totally ruins any sort of 'realistic' driving game when you add crap like this.

Admittedly I know little of the series, or this game in particular, but where exactly does it advertise itself as being a 'realistic' driving game?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CoD: Black Ops Escalation Voice Cast
6. Re: CoD: Black Ops Escalation Voice Cast Apr 27, 2011, 21:18 Teddy

Kajetan wrote on Apr 26, 2011, 18:43:
Once again, if a game is shipped with bugs, its NOT the fault of QA or lacking QA.

To correct you, you clearly mean "...it's not ALWAYS the fault of QA..."

Your original comment assumes that it's not possible for the QA department of any company to be incompetent, nor that even a competent department could be capable of any mistakes. Since that's clearly an impossibility, we must assume that sometimes games are shipped with bugs that ARE the fault of lacking or faulty QA.

Which is more likely is a different question. Just don't delude yourself into the belief that perfection exists anywhere.

News Comments > TrackMania2 Trailer, Screenshots
1. Re: TrackMania2 Trailer, Screenshots Apr 26, 2011, 17:12 Teddy

rofl. The trackmania "official" website redirects me to youtube? Classy.  

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
32. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 13:00 Teddy

Doombringer wrote on Apr 23, 2011, 10:36:
I suppose Portal has become less a puzzle game and more an adventure game with puzzle elements. It's a happy medium, I think. This world is simply too fun to play in to not make it available to almost anyone

True enough, but I'd personally rather have seen it go the more difficult route and then add a hint system for those who are having trouble.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown?
26. Re: Portal 2 Countdown? Apr 23, 2011, 08:00 Teddy

DG wrote on Apr 22, 2011, 20:45:
Only negative I have is thus far none of the puzzles are really taxing, and I'm not especially bright or anything. Sure there's a few where you forget a game mechanic for a few minutes (the two of us did get stuck once for a good 10 minutes before a "duh!" moment) but I've not come close to thinking about hitting gamefaqs yet. Partly that's due to very intuitive mechanics well introduced, and partly because, well if there's a white patch somewhere it's almost certainly part of the solution.

Friend of mine pointed out the issue for me in a clearer manner. He described this one as being more "linear" than the original in that it only places the tiles in important places for the level. In the original, whole test rooms had portalable surfaces which led to both, more red herrings, and more ways to solve the same puzzle.

In portal 2, all you do is look at the spaces you're allowed to place the portals and sort out the logic in how you get from A to B using those limited options.

Loved the game, but I do have to agree with him that limiting where the portals can be so drastically made the puzzles much easier for me.

News Comments > Portal 2 Store
50. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 20, 2011, 11:27 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 23:46:
As for the message... who the hell cares what it says when it autosaves? It could say, "Please hold while Valve eats some babies and saves your game." It's a text message that again CHANGES NOTHING IN THE GAME.

That's not really the point. When you're playing a PC game and you see text that refers to a console function, that generally suggests that the PC version is a port. Valve has largely been considered as one of the last stalwarts for PC gaming so for Portal 2 to not use PC as the lead platform could be construed as an act of betrayal for many people. That's what's making people angry. The same thing happened when Epic, Bethesda, id, Infinity Ward, Bungie, Lionhead and pretty much every former PC developer switched their focus to console development.

In other words, you have no reason to complain about it. It doesn't change the game in any way shape or form, and doesn't detract from any enjoyment. It's just one more thing for you and yours to whine about.

Got it.

Betrayal... because one message said "console". Fucking idiots. They made one of the best games of the year and people scream and whine and cry over one word in a message that means NOTHING.

43. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 21:17 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 21:04:
Just think of all the development time wasted on creating this fluff DLC for the game, should have spent the effort on creating real content.

I have to laugh at people thinking Valve will offer up any free DLC content for the game, maybe they'll be generous and release a few free maps. I haven't followed the game that closely but have they said anything regarding mod tools?

The DLC system would be needed if they intend to sell maps in the future, hardly a waste of development time in the creation of that. As for the actual DLC that exists in the game, it's all skins, hats, etc. As in all artwork, involving exactly zero programmers, zero level designers, and likely a couple artists at best that had finished their work long before the game was finished development, much less testing.

They could have laid those employees off I suppose rather than let them make something meaningless, but the 'development time' spent creating these would not have created even one new level.

42. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 21:07 Teddy

Icewind wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 15:40:
....and Valve goes down too.

I also love how they were deleting threads about the "Don't turn off your console" message and only stopped deleting them when people started asking questions.

Then they conveniently posted a reply 5 minutes later "explaining" why it still said console instead of "PC". Apparently, they simply "forgot" to change it.

Combine this with the $85 DLC nonsense and you have to be stupid to support Valve now. I'm done with them.

Quite possibly the most uninformed bitching I've seen to date on these boards.

$85? The entire pack is sold for $44.99, and more to the point, none of it changes anything in the game. It's skins for your bot that one other person at a time will ever see. They're a waste of money and anyone with a brain knows that.

As for the message... who the hell cares what it says when it autosaves? It could say, "Please hold while Valve eats some babies and saves your game." It's a text message that again CHANGES NOTHING IN THE GAME.

I know gamers in general aren't the brightest, but railing endlessly, downranking games and insulting developers over something as benign as this stuff just takes the cake. You sir, are a moron.

39. Re: Portal 2 Store Apr 19, 2011, 20:52 Teddy

nin wrote on Apr 19, 2011, 20:23:
How long did it take you to finish?

I've heard 6 hours, I've heard 9 hours...

I'm at 7/22 and 2 hours in, but I've stopped to admire things a bit...

Don't forget about coop, as that's additional time/levels (I've heard around 7 hours).

Avoiding potential spoilers, I'm 6 hours in (well, 5.8 according to steam) and not done SP though I suspect I'm close from indicators within game. Haven't touched the Co-op yet.

News Comments > Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go
73. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 18, 2011, 14:53 Teddy

yuastnav wrote on Apr 18, 2011, 10:34:
Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:55:
[...]
If you were "critically thinking" as you claimed, you'd have forseen that they can't release the game before midnight the day of because of aformentioned legal issues.
[...]

Steam Front Page wrote:
HELP RELEASE PORTAL 2 EARLIER [...]

Teddy wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 22:11:
[...] People calling Valve liars are idiots at best, libellous at worst.

Nice contradiction you have there. Try logic next time. Might help.

*patpat*

I don't normally respond to pure idiocy, but I'm in a helpful mood.

If a release is scheduled for April 19th at 10am, and it ends up being released at April 19th at 1am, that's earlier. Check your clock. It's true.

Try a dictionary before you use the word contradiction again, and try and get yourself an education before you question someone else's logic.

Now if it had said "Help release portal 2 DAYS earlier" then you might have had something. As it stands, you just look like a fool raging over something that you could have worked out beforehand.

48. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 22:30 Teddy

What's the first question you ask your doctor if they prescribe something?

Are there any side effects?

Again, ignorance is not an excuse.

46. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 22:11 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 22:03:
I find it remarkable that you are defending this part of the marketing campaign based solely on the fact that Valve hasn't explicitly lied to anyone.

I defend honesty, not ignorance. It's that simple in my eyes. If people are fools, that's their issue. People calling Valve liars are idiots at best, libellous at worst.

42. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 21:55 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:49:
They still have boxed copies being sold, I imagine. They'll be bound by the same legal agreements as other companies regarding early digital releases.

Exactly. So why even pretend that players can make any meaningful difference? That's why people are irritated.

If you were "critically thinking" as you claimed, you'd have forseen that they can't release the game before midnight the day of because of aformentioned legal issues.

There were no lies spoken, just foolish people who wanted to believe something that was never promised.

38. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 21:46 Teddy

Dev wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 20:37:
Jerykk wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 19:03:
Given these facts, it seems pretty clear that Valve never intended to let players make a meaningful difference in the game's unlock date.
^This
Pretty sure valve has always meant "early release" being same day (tuesday) just a few hours earlier. People were thinking it could be monday or sunday and its not.

They still have boxed copies being sold, I imagine. They'll be bound by the same legal agreements as other companies regarding early digital releases.

34. Re: Portal 2: 5 Down, 8 to Go Apr 17, 2011, 21:37 Teddy

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2011, 21:17:
Everyone wins. X D

Except the people that wanted to play Portal 2 this weekend, after Valve announced Friday morning "Help release Portal 2 early".

They didn't get anything at all.

Did anyone say they'd get something? Just entitled whining, if you ask me.

Last I checked "early" wasn't a quantifiable measurement. There was no promise or even suggestion that it would be made available on the weekend.

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
27. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 16, 2011, 23:52 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2011, 10:56:
This marketing blitz is a waste of time and money.

I'd love to hear you even attempt to quantify that.

Depends on whose money, I suppose. It's certainly not a waste of Valve's money. Quite the opposite in fact, I'd put money down that Valve and the Indie devs responsible for the games in the potato sack are making money hand over fist.

Considering most marketing campaigns cost money (a LOT of money), creating one that makes money on top of advertising your product is an impressive feat. Creating one that makes money and doesn't create a negative image for your company is doubly impressive.

News Comments > Dragon Age DRM Servers Down
28. Re: Dragon Age DRM Servers Down Apr 13, 2011, 00:46 Teddy

Problem is, icewind, even if everyone here boycotted Bioware, the company wouldn't even notice the hiccup in their business. It would be like running over an ant in your car. That's how completely insignificant the 'hardcore' gamers are in the marketplace. They make up less than a fraction of a percent of any mainstream game title's purchases.

That and as you said, many of them are hypcrites who will still buy every title they fume about and claim to be boycotting.

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
24. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 6, 2011, 00:23 Teddy

killer_roach wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 23:44:
Honestly, minor quirks aside, I prefer EA's downloader to Steam. I don't care where I get a game from - it all syncs to that account. (Well, unless I buy it from Steam, in which case it syncs to another account I have.) Makes it a lot better from the perspective of chasing sales.

I don't especially care one way or the other about EA's downloader. I was just being facetious repeating the exact words used.

News Comments > Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated]
17. Re: Free Mass Effect 2 for Dragon Age II Owners [Updated] Apr 5, 2011, 22:56 Teddy

necrosis wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 22:46:
If you bought DA2 on Steam do you get ME2 on steam or EA's POS downloader bullshit?

It appears to be exclusive to EA's POS downloader bullshit.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Add-on Revealed
12. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Add-on Revealed Apr 5, 2011, 22:30 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2011, 18:12:
What happens when a budget goes up? Quality Upper management bonuses goes up.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo