Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight
23. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight May 24, 2011, 00:54 Teddy

eunichron wrote on May 23, 2011, 23:41:
You realize that twitch shooters started PC multiplayer gaming, right?

You do realize how vastly incorrect that assertion is, right?

MUDs existed LONG before shooters ever did. Twitch shooters started PC Multiplayer FPS gaming, yes. Not multiplayer gaming as a whole. Not by a longshot.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Workarounds
19. Re: The Witcher 2 Workarounds May 21, 2011, 13:14 Teddy

Ray Marden wrote on May 21, 2011, 06:57:
Also, though I guess it is intentional, it feels really weird that there is no penalty for stealing. I think you should be able to do it if you are seaky about it, but it's another matter to be standing right in front of a person as you sift through all their belongings and take what you want nilly willy.

Ray

Agreed. Especially when some of the stuff you find in their belongings are potentially damning evidence of crimes.

Also odd that you can do nice things for all the poor people, and then rob them blind and still be regarded as a nice guy.

Wish they took the approach TES (Morrowind / Oblivion) did with that, where if people catch you, they get angry and the guards get involved. Funny that they thought of getting the guards involved if you draw your sword in town, but not if you steal everything that's not bolted down.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week
48. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Next Week May 20, 2011, 15:06 Teddy

necrosis wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:04:
Darks wrote on May 20, 2011, 10:02:
The answer is no, there is no online element for this game. Im hoping that the next one they come out with they will add some type of two player Coop.
What? Its a single player RPG. I can not even fathom how co-op would work without drastic changes to core game mechanics.

Take a look at The Old Republic and how it's handling things. Party members have the ability to select a dialog option to advise the leader, but it's the party leader who makes the choice on exactly what to say.

It's certainly possible to do it. It would be frustrating for someone if the "lead" didn't ever listen to their advice, but assuming the people playing together are friends then I don't see a lot of issue with it.

Could even be whoever initiates the conversation takes the lead, giving others a chance to influence the story directly. Either way, it wouldn't require any drastic changes. There'd need to be more enemies, but that's about it.

Hell, I'd even go so far as to say that any influenced action (hexes, intimidation, etc) could be used by partners, thus interrupting the flow of the conversation. If I decide I'm going to placate an irritating NPC and my partner walks up and punches him in the face, then we both need to deal with the consequences of that. It's that simple. You could even allow whoever decides on what to say first have their choice used.

The only thing you CAN'T have is two people navigating differing dialog for the same conversation. 3 way conversations happen all the time in the world around you. There's no reason they couldn't work in a game like this. Sure you may end up frustrated by your friends choices and the consequences they place on you as a result, but that's the risk of working/travelling with another person.

The more I think about this, the more workable it seems. Could even have different dialog options available depending on the knowledge / area of expertise of a player. Maybe your friend the mage knows enough about magic to ask different questions of a person and thus takes the conversation in a direction it wouldn't have taken with your swordsman's lesser knowledge of magic.

With the timers that already exist for some dialog options, you wouldn't have the chance to relate them all to each other before one of you is forced to make a choice.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2011, 15:28.

News Comments > ARMA 3 Announced
33. Re: ARMA 3 Announced May 19, 2011, 22:18 Teddy

Darks wrote on May 19, 2011, 15:54:
Dude, did you not read what I wrote accurately? That I what I said, the new M16A2 version was designed purposely with the three round burst. Read what the hell I wrote, I did tell it accurately, you just canít read accurately. The newer M16s where made to keep soldiers from wasting ammo. Sigh

In fact I know this first hand, I spent 11 years in the Corps and that is one of the first things you learn about the weapon when going through weapon training.

My guess is he's just being asinine because you wrote M16 instead of explicitly M16A2. Self-proclaimed military buffs like to try and use that sort of thing to make themselves seem more knowledgable even when it's a trivial distinction.

News Comments > Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play
38. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 20:17 Teddy

The Half Elf wrote on May 18, 2011, 16:42:
nin usually I agree with you, but considering that they are even doing this and the complexity of it, no other MMO (that I am aware of) has done this before or even attempted to do this before, I could see they charging for this.

The LFG system that functions across realms is already in place. I doubt that allowing you to queue with those same people beforehand is anywhere near as complicated as you're making it out to be.

37. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 20:14 Teddy

Fion wrote on May 18, 2011, 18:39:
This kind of shit only puts Guild Wars 2 in a good light. As with the original it's a free game with microtransactions that don't affect gameplay. Things like extra character slots, inventory space, cosmetic gear and more. They made a lot of expansions and mission packs but none of it was necessary.

Combined with all the features that make it the most forward thinking MMOG in years, WoW is in a lot of trouble. They think the loss of 400k subscribers in the last several months is bad?

Don't affect gameplay? That's assuming then that they don't follow suit on their microtransactions from GW1. You can buy skill packs that unlocks every elite skill instantly for you for any class in that game. I'd sure as hell say that affects gameplay.

36. Re: Premium WoW Cross-Realm Play May 18, 2011, 20:10 Teddy

AnointedSword wrote on May 18, 2011, 19:00:
What type of crap? If you do not want to pay for it, don't. What, do you all think that everything is free and it just happens to be there? It cost money to run these games. I am not saying they are not making money, I am saying they have every right to make money. People run businesses so they can make money. Work hard, play hard.

People pay ~$200 a year to play this game. That covers a hell of a lot more than just server maintenance. It's expected that it covers the cost of development of new features and new content.

The new content releases are getting smaller and further between and now they're asking for more money for new features. Pepole have every right to be pissed off.

THis isn't about them trying to make money. They already make billions. This is about them trying to make more money for things they said they'd NEVER try to make more money from.

Novelty pets and mounts is one thing. Game functionality is quite another.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2
54. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 18, 2011, 14:02 Teddy

Verno wrote on May 18, 2011, 09:23:
Many people don't trust Bioware anymore Teddy and with good reason after the various debacles of the past year. You're free to do so if you wish but you're not going to browbeat everyone else into it.

I trust Bioware far more than the speculation (read: possessing NO factual evidence) of random anonymous internet person number 12. I also trust companies not to be stupid enough to intentionally and openly do things that they KNOW will damage their reputation. If a company honestly decided to sabotage ratings and bash the competition, they'd damn well make sure it's veritably untracable.

Put 2 and 2 together folks. If Bioware DID put someone up to this, it would be legally actionable and CD Projekt would sue the bejesus out of them for it. It's one thing to give your own game a good review, and quite another to give false reviews of a competitor with the intention of damaging the sales of their product and the reputation of their company.

Anyone that thinks Bioware or EA are stupid enough to risk something like that is just plain out of their mind. Logic before emotion, it simply doesn't make sense.

52. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 18, 2011, 07:42 Teddy

Dades wrote on May 18, 2011, 07:19:
It's very clearly someone who's still angry about that situation and is trying to make Bioware look bad. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that Bioware would let an employee bash a competitor's game and sabotage it's review rankings whilst wearing a "Bioware_Intern" nametag. Don't be dense, it's a troll.

We're not even talking about Bioware_Intern here, we were talking about M Stannard.

And again, not the same name, not the same person. (And yes, people were talking about Bioware_intern earlier, even if you weren't)

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/7407457/6#7409255

Oh look, someone from bioware explaining very clearly that THIS PERSON DOES NOT WORK FOR BIOWARE.

Stop being dense, it's a troll.

51. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 18, 2011, 07:36 Teddy

Krovven wrote on May 18, 2011, 03:09:

It hasnt been mentioned because you CAN remap the keys, same place you change your video settings.

From the Launcher > Video and Language > Input Settings. Note the gamepad options.

Thank you for pointing that out. Still, an absurd location to place it especially considering it doesn't even mention it. 'Video and Language' options doesn't exactly scream "Go here to change your keybinds!"

46. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Witcher 2 May 18, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

Dades wrote on May 17, 2011, 23:44:
Yes, just a coincidence that they rated DA2 a 10/10 and The Witcher 2 0/10. Those silly trolls.

Hardly. But it's also no coincidence that it's not the same name or the same person that was part of the DA2 inside voting fiasco.

It's very clearly someone who's still angry about that situation and is trying to make Bioware look bad. You'd have to be a complete idiot to think that Bioware would let an employee bash a competitor's game and sabotage it's review rankings whilst wearing a "Bioware_Intern" nametag. Don't be dense, it's a troll.

As far as the game goes, so far it's been fantastic. Great voice acting, interesting characters and story. Some great mechanics to the game, like the timers on important dialog choices and most of the combat mechanics are awesome. Got a few minor gripes, notably, the inability to remap keys. Had this been a multiplatform game people here would be screaming and wailing about it. Since it's not, somehow it doesn't even get mentioned. Funny that.

Second, I take issue with using the same button for attack, loot, climb, etc. It's irritating having to inch around a ladder trying to find the sweet spot that will allow me to loot the bag at the bottom of it, or finding myself swinging away with my weapon because again, I wasn't in EXACTLY the right spot to loot.

There's some inconsistency with the ability to skip cutscenes, some of which decide there's something too important for you to see for you to skip it. Which is all well and good your first time through that bit, but playing on hard and dying several times it's irritating to be forced to watch the same cutscene over and over and over.

Last, the combat could use some tweaking. Once you're used to the timing of it, it's some of the most beautiful, fluid melee combat I've seen thus far, but it's the timing that just as often creates artificial difficulties. The game won't let you begin another ability until the animation for the last one used is finished, which is all well and good, but the problem that comes of that is there's no mesaure of queuing keystrokes to keep it fluid. If my character swings his sword and I hit the button to dodge before he's finished his animation, nothing happens. He stands stock still and gets hit, which is just leading me to spam dodges until one command finally gets through. It's an unnecessary technical limitation that sometimes makes me feel like I'm only in control of my character for 2 out of every 3 seconds in a fight.

Minor gripes, every one, but they're there nonetheless. On the whole I'm really enjoying the game. Much more than I did the first one, though I played that well before it recieved any signifcant patches.

News Comments > Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned
46. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 15, 2011, 17:45 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on May 15, 2011, 15:07:
That's generally how objectives like this play right?

Take CS for example, it doesn't take much camp a bomb site all round but it does take either a few very talented players or a coordinated team effort to plant the bomb.

In Wolf:ET everyone would always play the D-Day map where you had to blow open the doors and cap the intel. Most maps the allies wouldn't even make it up the beach let alone to the intel.

It is how they generally play, but question is, should it be? Even in CS bomb objective mode there were two bomb sites forcing the defnders to split up while the attackers could choose which to hit.

While there are secondary objective points that defenders will occasionally fan out to protect, they're non-essential in terms of mission completion.

Perhaps something that required multiple essential objectives to be completed but didn't require they be done in any specific order. It would force the defenders to split and would require more communication and coordination from the teams.

45. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 15, 2011, 17:37 Teddy

everyone wrote on May 15, 2011, 06:15:
Are the hitsounds not enough for you?

If I had any, then they might be.

39. Re: Brink Patched, Free DLC Planned May 14, 2011, 21:27 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 14, 2011, 18:57:
Sooo...people were complaining about "feedback" when you shoot someone or something? Their body moves in a way when a bullet hits them that you can tell they were hit. Also there is dust, etc when you hit something else.

Turn up your settings.

Not sure who else was complaining about it, but visual feedback wasn't my issue. It was the lack of aural feedback when hitting someone. Some of that was evidently a bug. I wasn't even getting a sound when meleeing someone, now that seems to have corrected itself, but I don't get any distinctive aural feedback when I shoot someone. Which is something that I found other shooters did well, and realistic or not, helped with the feel of the game and knowing that you've landed shots even in chaotic situations. I

News Comments > We Built This Guild Wars 2 City
11. Re: We Built This Guild Wars 2 City May 12, 2011, 22:40 Teddy

Yifes wrote on May 12, 2011, 15:52:
Teddy wrote on May 12, 2011, 13:17:
This company may produce some decent games, but they are a freaking joke when it comes to customer support.

ArenaNet is not NCSoft. And what is the point of telling InBlack about GW1 when GW2 is going to be a full MMO and quite different from GW1.

And is Guild Wars 2 being published by NCSoft? Yes it is. So it's a guarantee that it will still use the same account security. I could care less whether it's the developers or the publishers responsible for the debacle. I blame both equally.

As for why I explained what the first is, what business is that of yours? He asked a question and stated that he'd never played the original and thus didn't know anything about it. I explained what I knew. Keep your snide attitude to yourself.

8. Re: We Built This Guild Wars 2 City May 12, 2011, 13:17 Teddy

Dear god, I hope they come up with less infuriating account security for the GW2. With the talk of it, I decided to be nostalgic and re-install the original.

Did that, tried to log in, now it requires that I remember a character name to log in, not just email and password. No idea what character names I used six years ago.

So I tried a password reset. Only two email addresses used in that time frame, fine give it both and wait for an email with a new password.... BUT WAIT! No, it doesn't send an email to either.

More digging and I find out that if your account is associated with your NCSoft account, it will refuse to send passwords and instead you need to log in there. Problem with that, of course is that I don't remember my account on NCSoft.

Try my usual user names and passwords. None work. Try telling it to reset the password on a standard user name I use, no dice, it refuses. Eventually I get fed up and buy a second copy of the game through steam and while that's downloding I continue to fiddle with the security, trying more obscure user names that I've used in the past since it refuses to just send me the name/password to either of the two emails it could have been.

Finally find the right user name and get it to reset the password. SUCCESS! No, not really. Now it says I've failed to log in too many times and to wait a few minutes before trying again. (2 hours later, it still reports the same message, even on the BRAND NEW ACCOUNT I created for the new purchase).

I fucking hate DRM and I hate NCSoft and their bullshit account security. Who the hell ever said that an email address and maybe secret question was no longer enough to protect a freaking video game account?

/ragedump

In all seriousness, if this doesn't get cleared up today, I'm not TOUCHING GW2. It's pissed me off that much.

Edit: Add one unsuccessful phonecall to NCSoft support (NOT toll free, so I'm calling long distance to another freaking country and put on hold for 15 minutes before someone picks up). Money not being a terribly huge issue, but it's still annoying to have to pay for things like that. Anyways, their help desk finds the proper accounts, resets passwords, but cannot negate the system lock for trying 'unsuccessfully' too many times. WHat they then mention is that even successful attempts (that being, attempts where you have the RIGHT user name and password) are held against you as well during the lockout thanks to some terrible engineering. So you have to wait an hour or two (nonspecific answer, thank you very much) before trying at all regardless of whether you have the correct info or not.

This company may produce some decent games, but they are a freaking joke when it comes to customer support.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2011, 13:55.

News Comments > A Game Of Thrones - Genesis Website
2. Re: A Game Of Thrones - Genesis Website May 12, 2011, 11:19 Teddy

InBlack wrote on May 12, 2011, 10:49:
expecting another craptastic fiasco all the way to the bank here.

Also fully expecting it. That said, the HBO series is a damned good adaptation so far if you ask me. Lends some hope that GRRM will have a reasonable amount of say in the project to at least keep it authentic. Whether it'll be good or not... well, the odds are against them when it comes to games adapted from previously existing content.

5. Re: We Built This Guild Wars 2 City May 12, 2011, 11:09 Teddy

InBlack wrote on May 12, 2011, 10:49:
So whats the story with Guild Wars 2? Is it an MMO? Is it a Diablo3 clone?

I confess I never tried the original.

Somewhere in between, really. (though to be specific, the term should be 'a diablo clone', not diablo 3, since diablo 3 is clearly a clone of the original diablo. :P)

The original was quite similar in respect to diablo on a macro level, save that you could have bots to help you if you didn't pick any friends on the way. What made it less than an MMO was that the only places you interacted with other players that weren't in your party was in cities and while outside cities, everything was your own private instance.

The combat as a whole had it's own unique flavor to it, since the game revolved around what skills you chose to bring with you on a given mission. As opposed to both MMO's and Diablo style, you had to choose. You had 8 skill slots (I think) and as you levelled up and travelled about, you gathered a store of skills that all interacted with one another in different ways. So when you went out on a mission, you had to decide which combination best benefitted your style of play or the particular challenge ahead of you.

It was a mechanic I found very interesting, rather than just bringing everything and the kitchen sink along and using what worked, you had to think ahead and plan.

It also made for a second interesting game mechanic wherein your largest upgrades were not weapons or armor, but in finding and defeating large (boss) mobs and learning more powerful skills from them than you could from trainers in cities.

It was a game that had a ton of great ideas and executed a lot of them very well, while others it stumbled over, such as the restrictiveness of movement within the terrain. If there was a hill... you couldn't climb it. Hell, if there was a 2 inch ledge, you had to find the one designated way to get up onto it.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Details?
12. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Details? May 11, 2011, 00:09 Teddy

Sempai wrote on May 10, 2011, 23:44:
Haha! So they're using the very SAME engine as the last 4?

What the fuck.

I do believe Kotick is redefining the word "Milk."

It would have to be a fairly heavy overhaul to allow for destructible environments. The engine as it was in previous games was not capable of it.

Of course it remains to be seen what they think of as "urban destructible environments." It may simply be scripted, uncontrollable destruction as opposed to player directed destruction. As it is, I have a hard time believing that they'll allow full scale destruction from player actions, particularly in MP.

Assuming they still keep their airstrikes and whatnot from killstreaks, you'd level a third the buildings on the map with each use of one.

News Comments > Brink Launch Trailer
40. Re: Brink Launch Trailer May 10, 2011, 07:59 Teddy

Thus far, not a bad experience. My only significant complaint is in the audio direction. One of the things that both the CoD series and BF series do very well is give you solid audio and visual cues when you've hit someone so there's no wondering.

In this game, it's like the audio is just missing. The gun sounds are fine, and I can see if I've hit someone via their health bar, but not having an aural response when I hit someone is very noticable. Hell, I walked up to someone and melee'd them and the only reason I knew I hit them was because they were on the ground. You'd think swinging the butt of your gun at someone would warrant at least a thump of some sort. All I hear is the animation sound of swinging the gun and then the enemy falls over. It's just an odd disconnect.

Beyond that, the game is fun for the most part. A bit floaty, but that's more than made up for with the freedom of movement. Oh, and whoever thought up the mechanics of the escort missions should be fired. Seriously... the npc just wanders along on his own timeline whether you like it or not. You come to a corner and slow to look out and see if there are enemies, by the time you've turned back, the VIP (who's an NPC) has wandered out into the open and been shot. So you're constantly following behind him and getting him back up over and over and over until he finally reaches the objective, having already died (sorry, been 'incapacitated') a thousand times on the way. Just plain weird.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo