Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
91. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:39 Teddy

noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:34:
Teddy wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:22:
I have to ask, now that I think of it... To those playing with a console controller:

Most are not 'console controllers'. These are peripheral devices made for PC (Logitech F310, F510 or F710 for example) games.

I am not entirely sure what I dislike more - claims that PC games should only be played with keyboard/mouse, or recommendations that X360 controller is the only way to play games. People making either set of claims normally have no idea for how long PCs have had decent game controllers, other than keyboard and mouse.

And by the way, for anyone interested in getting one, do check out the Logitech series I mentioned, as it's the only controller on market which supports both DirectInput (for legacy games) and XInput standards.

Then perhaps you should go back and actually read what I said. Not once did I ever EVER say that PC games should only be played with keyboard/mouse. Nor did I suggest that anyone should prefer one to the other.

What I said, to spell it out more clearly for you is that MOST PC gamers do not use those controllers to play games. That the STANDARD is keyboard and mouse. Sure, dedicated Flight sim fans will have the peripherals to make their experience more enjoyable, and racer/driving sim fans will have theirs. That doesn't change the fact that keyboard and mouse control is far more common on PC.

I'm all for games offering support for additional controllers. What I'm against is them screwing up, intentionally or not, the controls that MOST people are going to try and use to play the game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

88. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:26 Teddy

noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:19:
I can't disagree with it more. First of all you missed out racers, for which game controllers work substantially better than keyboard.

Analog controls for racers, mouse controls for FPS, flight stick for roll/pitch games, and gamepad/analog control for platformers are all examples of game controls suitable for different genres.

Calling keyboard/mouse as some sort of standard for PC gaming is quite frankly an idiotic and a very short sighted stance.

Your disagreement is really irrelevant. Most PC gamers do NOT own controllers, wheels or joysticks. A simple look at the market for those products will tell you that. They sell to niche markets, and far from well at that.

Contrast that to the fact that EVERYONE who games on a computer has a keyboard and mouse and that makes it the standard.

What you prefer is irrelevant. What is actually used more commonly is the issue.

86. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:22 Teddy

PropheT wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 21:53:
noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 19:52:
One of the biggest strengths of PC gaming is the presence of all these peripherals and how games from all genres can be enjoyed using the most optimized input method. I have never understood this dislike of non keyboard/mouse control schemes.

I actually agree with your point here, but the keyboard/mouse controls still shouldn't be overlooked or irrelevant on any decent PC game.

It's actually pretty simple to fix the controls in DS3; reset the turning keys to strafe and set the RMB to control the camera and it works like every other game in the genre. Even if a controller works better here, there's no reason why the controls should be forced into the counterintuitive scheme they're using right now in the demo.

Exactly.

I have to ask, now that I think of it... To those playing with a console controller:

Does one stick move your character and the other move the camera? I'm assuming for the moment that it does. How would you feel if the left stick moved your character forward and back but left and right turned the camera, while the right stick, forward and back zoomed the camera and left and right were some otherwise pointless controls?

That's what they did to the keyboard controls. It could very easily have been, use the keyboard to control your character, and the mouse to control the camera, like every other game does. Instead they decided to place half the camera controls on the keyboard and half the movement control on the mouse. It's ass-backwards, and what's more, it's not even a matter of control porting issues, since it's contrary to how the controllers function as well. This was actually a decision someone made when creating the PC control system, and that's what baffles me more than anything else.

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Jun 7, 2011, 22:07 Teddy

The vehicles now regenerate health, and rather than blowing up they instead get immobilized most of the time.

Eh.... what? Granted, they attempt to explain via:

We, like many of our players, felt that a rocket blowing up a vehicle full of passengers wasn’t fun. It made one player very happy, but sucked for five others, so many players just avoided the transport vehicles. Now, the person sitting the closest to the explosion might die, but the others can get out and the guy on the mounted machine gun can fire in support, which makes the battle longer and more interesting.

But all the same, I have to disagree vehemently. Allowing there to be a chance of survival depending on the damage dealt to the vehicle, sure, but "most of the time the vehicle gets disabled"? If an attack helicopter lays into a hummvee with multiple rockets, it's not going to just suffer some minor engine trouble as a result.

I had no problem with the way transport vehicles worked. If you took one close enough to contested territory to get fired on, then that was a calculated risk. Sometimes expediency made that risk necessary, other times it didn't and you could drop off a safe distance from the fighting and move in on foot.

This is just going to cause more people to drive vehicles straight into cap zones and then have everyone hop out. Risk? One person might die if the vehicle gets disabled, but you've just deposited 4 others into the capture zone instantly as a result.

Boo I say.

81. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 21:09 Teddy

Efflixi wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 20:58:
If you think you might be interested in this game, try the demo. I read all the negative comments here and almost deleted the demo without trying it. It's actually pretty fun! Don't let all the negativity around here sway you from at least trying it.

It's pretty clear I've got a negative view of the game, but nothing I've said has been with the intent to stop anyone from trying it. Merely discussing my distaste with others who may have tried it. Efflixi is right about the fact that you should at least try the demo for yourself.

Unless it somehow costs you to download the demo, then really, what is there to lose? Maybe your opinions will vary.

People bitch constantly about the lack of demos for games. Well, now you have a company that was willing to do a pre-release demo. Good or bad, it's worth the effort to download, if only to show that we want pre-release demos of games more often.

78. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 20:44 Teddy

noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 19:52:
everyone wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 19:43:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 18:06:
Controllers have been part of PC gaming since the beginning and there have always been PC games that worked better with a controller, from Tomb Raider to Assassin's Creed.
Tomb Raider plays great with kb+m. Better than a pad, imo.

In my opinion games like Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia (since Sands of Time) work best with game controllers. Space-sims and flight-sims have always worked best with joysticks which have been around for more than 20 years on PC. Racing games work best with wheels (with controllers as the second best option) Keyboard/mouse works best with RTS, FPS and most strategy and RPG games.

One of the biggest strengths of PC gaming is the presence of all these peripherals and how games from all genres can be enjoyed using the most optimized input method. I have never understood this dislike of non keyboard/mouse control schemes.

Both you and Stinging Velvet are missing the point entirely. Turn off your gamepad and try playing it with a keyboard and mouse just for a short time, then get back to me.

The POINT is very simply, the STANDARD for PC gaming, is keyboard and mouse control, with the exception of flight/space sims where the standard is a joystick. I'd put money down that most people who play PC games with any dedication don't even own gamepads. The option to use them should of course be there, and if you prefer that, then that's all well and good. But when it becomes mandatory to use said piece of hardware to enjoy a game... then the developers fucked up and fucked up bad.

If you make a PC game that is not a flight sim, you had BETTER damn well make sure it plays decently on a keyboard and mouse. Add in whatever else you like for people to use aside from that, but if the basics don't work, then it's a piece of garbage and it'll sell like one too.

55. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 17:16 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 16:54:
All these complaints about the UI and such are based on PC controls, which right or wrong are not the way to play this.

That's an absurd way to look at the situation.

If playing with PC controls isn't the right way to play it, then they shouldn't have the audacity to try and sell it to me as a PC game. If they wanted it to be console only and require console hardware to play, then that's what they should have done. Instead they tried to hedge their bets and release it on PC as well, but without bothering to check and see if the controls or UI even worked reasonably well.

That is not acceptable. This game is awful.

43. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 15:14 Teddy

Not particularly impressed by the demo. Graphics are decent, gameplay itself... I have to assume the "continue" option at death is there only for the demo because there are no save points. The sounds and voice acting are fairly mediocre, story and writing were lackluster, but then for an action-rpg they don't really need to be spectacular.

There's a decent amount of loot, but of course the game is horrifically bad at explaining anything. THere's no tooltips that I found to explain what stats do, so... is 5 stamina better than 7 block? How about 20 agility vs 22 attack? No idea what the stats do, and thus no idea how to balance them. Not to mention the other ridiculously vague stats on weapons. Oooh, this weapon has +14 Doom. What the hell does that even mean? (Edit: That's not even a joke. I found a weapon with "Doom" on it as a stat. A few others with Chaos Something-or-other as well.)

Menu system is atrocious. SOOOO freaking bad. Want to get into your inventory? Press C, then select "Equip". Of course, there's also an "Items" option, but inexplicably, the only thing you can do in that window is transmute items to gold. What was the point in seperating them? So you don't accidentally transmute an item? Wouldn't using the same window but having a confirmation for transmutes just make more sense?

The talents/abilities windows are also segregated into huge blocky messes. It could all be displayed in one single page, but why bother when you can just half-ass it and make it clunky and awkward, right?

The worst part of the game, though (and that's out of a fairly large list of issues) is the control system. I don't know who thought up the idea to reverse the standard controls for ARPGs, but they should be fired. W=forward, S=backward sure... but A/D turning the camera instead of the character and using the mouse to turn the character... that's absurd and generally just a huge pain in the ass for the entire game. While I successfully finished the demo, I still can't say I'm comfortable with the controls. Add to that, you have "attack" and a total of 3 skills to use (only 2 in the demo) per stance... I'm left wondering what the hell they were thinking.

What happened to DS2 with it's five bajillion different spells, that gave you a much wider variety of ways to play? What happened to letting me choose what sort of character I wanted based on what I actually did in the game?

Ugh. It has some good in it, the stance system is relatively interesting, if somewhat pointless in the demo itself. I can see it being more useful in co-op where the varying stances of the two characters chosen can work together in a way, but still... Not nearly enough good to outweigh the bad.

I knew it was going to be different, but I was so hoping it wouldn't be awful.

News Comments > DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog
15. Re: DICE on (Free) Battlefield 3 Battleog Jun 4, 2011, 01:25 Teddy

entr0py wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 01:20:
bhcompy wrote on Jun 4, 2011, 00:56:
spindoctor wrote on Jun 3, 2011, 23:00:
Will they be adding what is now known as Theater mode, or demo recording in the game? I was pleasantly surprised to see it in Black Ops and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was probably the first time demo recording was implemented in a non Valve/Source game in many years. Of course, they're making it a paid feature in COD Elite which means I won't be using it again but it is a nifty thing. So, will Battlefield have it as well?

Isn't this what fraps is for?

If you haven't played Black Ops, their implementation of theater mode was a huge improvement. Every single game was recorded permanently and automatically, and could be easily played back in engine from any perspective. The timeline added automatic markers for events like kills and deaths, and generated a map of all of your deaths so you could analyze your strategy. If you just wanted to show off, you could tag games or make clips and submit them to the gallery in-game or export to youtube. It also made identifying cheaters very easy for server mods, even after the fact. All with a proper GUI interface instead of console commands.

Not to mention the ability to see the match from other points of view than your own, something that fraps is incapable of.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
12. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups Jun 1, 2011, 01:18 Teddy

elefunk wrote on Jun 1, 2011, 01:01:
You guys realize that part of Elite is free, right? They're not going to charge you for using a beta, and Elite itself doesn't cost money. It's some extra features that are a part of Elite that cost money, like training videos.

Nope, I don't realize that and so far as I've seen there isn't any indication of what will or won't be part of the paid services, nor any indication that I've seen that any part of elite is going to be free. In fact the statement made by kotick about it seems to make it clear that NONE of elite is going to be free (barring the beta test).

News Comments > Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups
8. Re: Call of Duty: Elite Beta Signups May 31, 2011, 23:51 Teddy

What do you suppose happens to the map packs if you cancel your subscription I wonder. Do you lose access to them?  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 31, 2011, 00:57 Teddy

I wonder how (or if) this applies to games you've already purchased through impulse.

That said, I just went through the process to purchase a game through the system and it made no mention of any of this. It's starting to look like a hoax to me.

edit: Incidentally, holy CRAP Frozen Synapse is cool. If you're a fan of oldschool turn based tacticals like X-COM and the like, check it out. Don't go by screenshots, watch a video. Hadn't heard of it before, just happened to be the game I chose for the purchase test.

This comment was edited on May 31, 2011, 02:08.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears, DLC Workaround
4. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears, DLC Workaround May 26, 2011, 21:15 Teddy

RollinThundr wrote on May 26, 2011, 16:51:
Bioware could learn a thing or 10 from these guys. Free DLC, timely patching, a non condescending attitude towards the fanbase, and communication on the update/patch process.

By free DLC, you mean something that was complete for the release of the game but was witheld from users with the intent of forcing them to register on their website?

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
28. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 20:15 Teddy

DrEvil wrote on May 25, 2011, 19:54:
Tom wrote on May 25, 2011, 17:27:
Whether or not the game is currently out on consoles is hardly relevant, I think. Playing it, especially after having played the first one, it's clearly designed with consoles in mind and will certainly be released on consoles. I don't fault the developers for that. There's $$$ in consoles, and they need $$$ to continue making games. The important thing is how much of a detriment to the game the console-minded design decisions are.

I'd say on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is a horrific console port and 10 is a PC game in all its glory, this game is about a 7 maybe. With some work I think they could bring it up to an 8 or maybe even a 9.

It's a PC game in all its glory. On what other basis besides the opinion you pulled out of some dark nethers do you base your evaluation on?

The circular menu for sigil and ranged item choices is clearly a pull from console design. The combat is designed around a very small amount of base moves, attack, strong attack, cast preset spell, use preset item. That reeks of console/gamepad integration. The inability to make any significant graphic setting changes or keybind changes within the game itself. The menu system itself for meditation, alchemy, character advancement, all designed to function using a gamepad.

It doesn't do a bad job by any means, and for the most part it works very well on PC, but to claim no concessions were made is just being blind to them.

27. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 20:04 Teddy

Dades wrote on May 25, 2011, 18:05:
Teddy wrote on May 25, 2011, 16:55:
But it's hardly a champion of "oldschool crpg's" like some people have claimed. My personal belief is that it's because it isn't available on consoles (yet). If it was, every flaw in the game would be dragged out and raged over, pointing the finger at the evil consoles and how they're degrading a PC franchise.

There might be platform zealots who have that attitude but they exist on the consoles too so what's your point? It's a good game with a strong story, fantastic graphics engine, challenging gameplay and a decent amount of depth considering it's a non-D&D property. No one is going to go back and make Baldur's Gate again but this kind of game is much more welcome than Dragon Age 2.

There -might- be platform zealots like that? This is Blues news, last I checked. It's home base for PC platform zealots. These are the same people who make derisive comments and snap at Blue whenever a console review accidentally gets placed next to a precious PC review. Let's not pretend like this is something it isn't. I'm sure there are some on the other side of the wall as well, but that's irrelevent to the point.

My point is, this is an action-RPG. FAR more so than Dragon Age 2 was, and people cried bloody murder over that one just shortening cooldowns on abilities, pointing their mighty finger of blame at the consoles for it. Many of the same things that they screamed about in DA2's realease, they choose to ignore in this one.

The graphics are nice, certainly, then again so were DA2's, barring the issue of repetition. Challenging gameplay, certainly. Again, that also existed in DA2. Depth? I've seen two endings to the game already and am on my way to a third... the differences in the end-game stories are not that significant. The game still funnels you down the same path, regardless of your choices. The difference is in what people are standing beside you for the cutscenes. Same complaint people made about DA2, how the choices looked different, but nothing ever really changed.

*shrugs* I enjoyed both games. I just think it's funny that people suggest idiotic things like the two games should never be mentioned in the same sentence, when really they're far more similar than they are different.

21. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 16:55 Teddy

briktal wrote on May 25, 2011, 15:50:
What I find so interesting with this game is that the game is full of things that people tend to dislike in other games in the genre. It's Mass Effect with swords and nobody really cares. I hope Deus Ex 3 is a real good game too and will have a similar effect on some of it's mechanics.

I tend to agree. As much as I enjoyed the game, it really boils down to little more than a choose your own adventure in dialog and an action-rpg in combat.

It's got some very good points and some very irritating points (who's idea was it to make every door a cutscene in and of itself?). But it's hardly a champion of "oldschool crpg's" like some people have claimed.

My personal belief is that it's because it isn't available on consoles (yet). If it was, every flaw in the game would be dragged out and raged over, pointing the finger at the evil consoles and how they're degrading a PC franchise.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed
17. Re: Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed May 25, 2011, 02:09 Teddy

SectorEffector wrote on May 25, 2011, 02:01:
What you have here with the BF3 vs COD is simple.

Finally gamers are funneling towards the developer that clearly likes making fun games that make money, while one likes having fun making money making games. Not the same.

I'm not making a blanket statement to all the artists involved, but a buddy at my studio met a lead animator at Infinity Ward and he said he was a ginormious douche. He said he was utterly cocky, and upfront about it.

;/

It's a bit early to be saying that people are "funneling toward" anyone in particular. As much as I prefer the Battlefield series, I have no doubt in my mind that the next CoD will outsell it, likely by a very large amount.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed
15. Re: Modern Warfare 3 November Date Confirmed May 25, 2011, 01:59 Teddy

It's been a long time since I played anything online that used PB, but I do recall it taking issue with Virtual drive software, like Daemon Tools, or Alcohol's virtual drive.

Beyond that, there's several people that point to Norton software, and found a note about a few others:

http://www.pbbans.com/forums/getting-kicked-by-pb-with-no-hacks-t84226.html

Some of the more common programs that can cause "Disallowed Program Driver" are:

Steam - Disable "Ingame Community Chat" in settings
TeamSpeak, Ventrillo, or Mumble overlays - Disable
EVGA Precision - Disable
ATI Tray Tools - Disable
Riva Tuner - Disable
Fraps - Update to latest version

Don't know how reliable that info is.

Another page with supposed fixes:

http://www.heartlessgamer.com/2009/09/fixed-punkbuster-error-disallowed.html

Which basically details other overlays that cause the same issue, from FRAPS to EVGA Precision and a previous thread mentioned some ATI tools as well. Some have also made mention of Logitech drivers, specifically keyboard drivers running the G-series (LCDMon.exe, and whatever it's counterpart is)

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight
26. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight May 24, 2011, 01:05 Teddy

Jonny5 wrote on May 24, 2011, 01:03:
Actually i twitched a lil while typing in the ZORK games....wait for it......JK

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

*twitch*

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight
25. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Trailer Tonight May 24, 2011, 01:04 Teddy

[VG]Reagle wrote on May 23, 2011, 21:41:
Jonny5 wrote on May 23, 2011, 21:34:

Doesnt matter that they are different games Asshat, Anyone that buys this title is a tool, period!

Must be COD fan I take it, sorry lil boy

The reason why YOU don't like COD is becuase people like me OWN YOUR ASS the second you log on to a server. So you run around on forums like this hating on the game. I bet your KD is above 0.5 and your probably GAY TOO.

I'm torn on this. Either Reagle is a complete and utter moron, or he's one of the more brilliant satirists I've ever seen. He managed to combine everything people hate about the COD community in one single statement that claims to describe the reason why people hate the CoD community.

I'm either staggeringly impressed, or on the verge of losing my faith in humanity (again). Wonder which way the coin will fall.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo