Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours
13. Re: BF3 Campaign Around 6-10 Hours Jun 9, 2011, 22:35 Teddy

As much as I enjoy playing the Battlefield games multiplayer, this nonsense has to stop.

"It's a multiplayer game!"

"It doesn't need single player!"

No, it is NOT a multiplayer game. You may prefer that side of it, but this is being built, marketed and sold as a single player AND multiplayer game. People have every right to expect a reasonble single player experience from a game that's being sold as such. Telling them they shouldn't because YOU prefer multiplayer, or because YOU think the single player component is unimportant is just plain stupid.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Arma 2 Free Announced
17. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 17:58 Teddy

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 13:09:
badasscat wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 11:30:
No HD gfx?!
Not familiar with the game,...so what does this mean

It means it'll work on more people's systems

Chances are it's more about conserving their bandwidth while delivering a free product. Hi res textures could mean multiple gigabytes more data per download.

8. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:30 Teddy

Having just watched the launch trailer... the graphics don't look significantly different to me from the original. What "HD Graphics" are we missing?  

News Comments > Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter
15. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 11:15 Teddy

The Advocate wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:27:
I can't wait to play as a marine/colonist fighting off hordes of military/alien/rebel enemies!

That's SO awesomely original!

What if you were the alien fighting off marines and colonists that were trying to take over your planet?

14. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 9, 2011, 11:13 Teddy

Topevoli wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:12:
Most people don't know Infinity Ward and the creation of a Respawn Ent. They know COD, BLOPS, MW3... They will not make the correlation that this is a game by the Modern Warfare creators.

That may well be true, but it's certainly not in my experience. Everyone I know that played CoD, regardless of Console or PC knew who Infinity Ward was and they knew when it was an IW CoD game and when it was Treyarch, they understood the difference and had different expectations accordingly.

Now that said, not all of them know about the schism between Infinity Ward and Activision and that the current developer named Infinity Ward is no longer the same team. That will no doubt hold some significance. But I'm sure EA will capitalize on "The creators of the Call of Duty / Modern Warfare series' new game!"

I suspect full well, we'll be hearing a LOT more from EA about how the founders of infinity ward and the creators of CoD now work for them and details of what they're working on as we get closer to the release of MW3, if only to sow doubt on what MW3 will be like without the original developers at the helm.

5. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 11:01 Teddy

My question is, is this a seperate product? If Arma2 Free offers the ability to play MP Arma2 without the HD graphics, etc... can I join in with the purchased version of Arma2 and play against the same people WITH HD graphics?

Obviously mods would be out of the question, but it would irk me a bit if there were no benefits to owning the actual game (outside of being able to play the actual game with mods, etc).

Just a curiosity at this point. Time will tell, I suppose. Would be nice to not have to have both Arma2 and Arma2 Free installed just to play with different segments of people.

3. Re: Arma 2 Free Announced Jun 9, 2011, 10:54 Teddy

justice7 wrote on Jun 9, 2011, 10:52:
This seriously kicks ass!!!! I'm all over it. I mostly play these games for the multiplayer anyway, and getting more people to play the amazing mods out there is nothing but a great idea.

Arma 2: Free serves up almost everything offered by the original Arma 2 ... minus the campaign, HD graphics and support for user-made addons and mods.

By the sound of that, the free version will not have access to those 'amazing mods'.

4. Re: Respawn Making Sci-fi Shooter Jun 8, 2011, 23:37 Teddy

WyldKat wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 22:18:
Awesome, it's great to see that someone has decided to make a game in one of the most underused genres ever, the shooter. It's a bit disappointing though that they've chosen to make it Scifi instead of a modern setting, now THAT would be revolutionary!

To be fair, this is essentially Infinity Ward under a different name. Shooters are what they do. What they've always done. At least they've moved away from WWII and Modern Day.

It's been a while since there's been a good, high quality multiplayer sci-fi shooter as I recall (Barring console only Halo: Reach). Sure they could be doing something else, but when you have one of the top FPS developers on the planet working for you, are you going to tell them to do something else? Something they DON'T have a proven history of success in? That just doesn't make any sort of business sense.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3
25. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 8, 2011, 20:38 Teddy

Ventura wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 19:57:
Now, I don't mean this as an insult...but not everyone wants an ADHD shooter experience that is CoD. There has to be ups and downs in pacing.

Fair enough, but then, isn't that why soliders take breaks between missions?

Nope. This is more a function of proper story telling, which is a surprisingly important factor in making interesting movies and games. In that, I don't mean that the story itself is important (of course it is). I mean rather that the way a story is paced is just as important in terms of gameplay.

The problem I had with Black Ops single player was that it was so absolutely monotonously full of action and explosions and cannon fodder enemies that I was bored out of my freaking skull despite being in the thick of crazy intense action. I recall several times, even on the harder difficulty settings, just stopping behind a wall and walking away for a while while my AI teammates continue to mow down enemies and scream at me about how we need to get out NOW because the building's just about to explode.

If there's no pause, no build up, no lulls in action then there's no tension whatsoever. Games these days, particularly the CoD series seem to have lost sight of the fact that a corridor or room that has no enemies in it may just serve to make things MORE interesting and compelling than filling every single room to the brim with enemies.

It always astounded me that people gave Black Ops' single player any measure of critical acclaim, when I wanted to claw my eyes out halfway through because I was so freaking bored.

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October
12. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 20:21 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 19:06:
I'm so starved for some JA gameplay I buy just about every turn-based tactical RPG that comes along. I even weaned a modicum of enjoyment out of Hired Guns- Jagged Edge.

*cough*Frozen Synapse*cough*

Not as expansive a game, and no RPG elements, but it's sating my Turn-based Tactical fix at the moment. It's not for everyone to be sure, but certainly worth a look if you liked X-COM / JA.

News Comments > Morning Previews
13. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 18:41 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 18:01:
I played competitivly for BF2 for a number of years. Although I agree most pub servers sucked ass, there were a number of servers I played on that were heavily admin'd (you know, when we ran our own servers and such ) that were great to play on.

Other than AQ2, BF2 has probably some of the BEST gaming as a competitive model that I have ever played. The adreno rush and excitement of a really good battle is unmatched. To win required a TON of teamwork, communication, strategy, etc etc etc. The game is a blast, and I am really hoping that is captured again in BF3.

No doubt, but competitive matches and pub servers are very different things. You get teamwork from players in competitive CoD matches too (back when those were actually possible). Having server admins that keep the peace and enforce a certain style of play can happen in any game as well (assuming they ahve the ability to do so). I recall Black Ops servers where the server admins enforced some very restrictive "realism" rules to cut down on run+gun players frequenting their servers. Also recall servers in Counter-strike years ago with admins that enforced teamwork, and enforced objective play by booting anyone who was not making an attempt to accomplish the objective of that particular map.

My point is, it's not really a function of the audience playing the games, as much as it is the tools available and the way rewards are handled in the game itself as well. If we can admin our own servers, then of course there will be less asshats on them. If the game rewards people for helping each other, rather than only showing player's names in lights for their own personal K/D ratio, then people will help each other more.

As far as BF itself as a compeititive game. I played competitive in BF1942, Vietnam and BF2 on occasion, but strictly speaking, I've never been a fan of respawning gameplay, or the conquest style of the BF series. I very much appreciated the Rush and Squad Rush game modes in BC2 as they felt closer to what I was looking for, but even still I miss the tension found in single spawn games like Counter-strike, or the early Rainbow Six series.

Single spawn doesn't work with vehicles, I imagine as it's simply too easy to die when they're included, but since I first played Squad Rush in BC2, I've been hoping to see some sort of non-respawn game mode added as an option to the BF series. It's really the only reason I ever play any CoD games these days is to get my fix of objective based, single life play via Search and Destroy.

Edit: Speaking of the teamkilling for vehicles, I always wondered by they didn't just go the simple route once the problem became evident and stop you from being able to get into a vehicle for X amount of seconds after TKing someone. Sure, it may cause a few rare situations wherein accidental kills during hectic firefights cause a problem, but it would completely eliminate the whole 'getting shot in the back of the head by a teammate while about to get into a jet/helicopter'.

News Comments > Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3
13. Re: Infinity Ward on Dedicated Servers & PC MW3 Jun 8, 2011, 18:20 Teddy

<Electric-Spock> wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 18:09:
"But let’s not lose that dedicated core audience that wants the dedicated server experience. We’re looking at ways to on how to incorporate that into Modern Warfare 3."

Answer? Promise dedicated servers "sometime after launch" and then never actually release them. Worked for Black Ops' mod tools, didn't it?

News Comments > RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million
28. Re: RIFT Sells Nearly 1 Million Jun 8, 2011, 18:02 Teddy

kanniballl wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 17:00:
How exactly does a hostile guild takeover happen?

Generally speaking it begins as one guild (generally larger and with further progression) helping another smaller guild that's struggling to field enough members for their own full raids, while the larger guild is perhaps missing a spot or two in a second (or third) raid team. Then, the better players of the smaller guild are enticed with offers of permanent raid spots, further progression and more consistent raids and raid teams.

If enough bite, and sometimes it only takes one or two, then whatever holes were in the larger guild's teams (assuming they're running more than one) are filled and they no longer need the smaller guild. The smaller guild is left completely unable to field raid teams with the loss of those who jumped guilds and from there it's inexorable. You will lose more members because they aren't getting the opportunity to raid consistently or successfully, then you either join the larger guild, disband, or wait to be wittled away into nothingness.

Most generally choose to merge with the larger guild if only to continue playing with friends they've had for some time.

Seen it happen plenty of times.

I've also seen other situations where two guilds merge, the new guild run by officers of both, but those of one of the guilds aggressively set up guild activities and give preference to including their old teammates first and only allowing a few of the new members to join in. Those that are frequently left out end up disenfranchised and eventually either leave the guild, or log in less and less often.

Politics happens everywhere, even in imaginary worlds.

News Comments > id on RAGE PC Controls
9. Re: id on RAGE PC Controls Jun 8, 2011, 13:40 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 12:00:
This should be crossposted to the Dungeon Siege thread of an example of how to properly handle choice.

id clearly doesn't know what they're doing. They should be creating one master control system and intentionally hampering all the rest of them to ensure that everyone has to play the game the way they want them to.

That's the way REAL developers like Obsidian handle things these days. THEY dictate how a player should enjoy their game, not the other way around.

*nods to himself*

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October
4. Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action In October Jun 8, 2011, 13:26 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:12:
You guys are excited for this?

Absolutely.

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Jun 8, 2011, 13:08 Teddy

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 13:00:
When I think of CoD multiplayer, I remember small maps, arcade gameplay, and ignorant players doing their own thing.

When I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay, and team work with the extra bonus of vehicles.

Guess where my money is going.

Funny, when I think of BF multiplayer, I remember huge maps, strategic gameplay and ignorant players doing their own thing. Oh, and and players Teamkilling to get the vehicle they wanted. Or as in BC2 now, snipers sitting 2 bases away from the action hoping for extreme distance kill point bonuses rather than risking advancing to a relevant position.

My money's going to Battlefield as well, but let's not try to pretend it's something that it's not. There are just as many stupid, selfish players in Battlefield as there are in CoD (percentage of population, of course). There's just more game mechanics that reward teamwork (medic, repair, rearming and now suppressing). If there were as many mechanics to reward teamwork in CoD, then you'd see just as many people helping in that game too. The people are pretty much the same, the reward scheme is what's dictating their behavior.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon
15. Re: Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Armageddon Jun 8, 2011, 12:02 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 09:21:
That cuts both ways, some of the best parts of Guerilla were also non-linear.

And the fact that it did both fairly well is what made it an interesting game. It didn't stick to one or the other, it went where it needed to for that part of the game.

Reverting back to an ONLY linear experience, or conversely creating an ONLY open world experience would be a step backwards either way, if you ask me.

The game did two things very well, as I see it. First, it allowed you to play with destruction of the world around you in a way no other game to date has. Second, it gave you the freedom of an open world to do as you pleased, then during the story bits, it shifted to a more linear, story-driven experience.

News Comments > Evening Previews
5. Re: Evening Previews Jun 8, 2011, 11:23 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 8, 2011, 04:38:
They just made the destruction of vehicles a 2 stage process, its a much needed change when they really add full blown jet and air support. Now you can potentially get out of destroyed vehicles instead of blowing up because your driver overlooked a mine.

Playing BC2 i totally see what the idea is behind this change. Its a good one imo.

But whether regenerating health for tanks is a good idea.....

I don't disagree that in SOME cases it should take more to destroy a vehicle. An RPG should not cause an APC to instantly and completely explode, nor should a mine instantly kill everyone inside any sort of armored transport (though they do often kill some). My issue is the idea of a jet or a helicopter hitting a hummvee with a rocket and not destroying it.

That's a complete break of suspension of disbelief. There is NO WAY IN HELL you would survive a direct rocket strike from either of those in a hummvee, jeep or APC. Those weapons are designed specifically to have the power to COMPLETELY destroy their targets. They don't make those rockets to 'incapacitate'. There is no single situation that someone would walk out of one of those explosions alive. Period.

That is what concerns me when they say "most of the time the vehicle will be incapacitated". Had they said sometimes, I probably would have shrugged it off and said it's an interesting idea, and assumed that they had taken into account the power of the weapons involved in each case. But if even ONCE I see a jeep get hit directly by a rocket and only one person dies while 3 passengers hop out and run away, that's a facepalm worthy moment of stupidity on the part of the developers.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
96. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:58 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:54:
noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:40:
And also, since FPS on consoles are played with controllers, then perhaps that's what should be the best option to play FPS.

Now don't be silly.

Seriously though, you wouldnt catch me playing an FPS on PC without a Mouse/Keyboard. But there is something to be said for Analog movement that the mouse/keyboard can't do.

If PC controls are gimped in DS3, then so be it. I've skipped more than a few otherwise good games due to bad controls. But sounds like they can also be adjusted somewhat for the person that likes the gameplay enough to put in the effort.

? Where did you hear that they can be adjusted? There's no options to change keybinds. Nor can I find any .ini files or .cfg files that might allow me to adjust things.

News Comments > Dungeon Siege III Demo
94. Re: Dungeon Siege III Demo Jun 7, 2011, 22:47 Teddy

noman wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:40:
Teddy wrote on Jun 7, 2011, 22:26:
Contrast that to the fact that EVERYONE who games on a computer has a keyboard and mouse and that makes it the standard.

What you prefer is irrelevant. What is actually used more commonly is the issue.

And that is why I called it an idiotic or short sighted approach.

Everyone that games on a computer has at least an intel GMA level graphic card, so may be all games should be written for that lowest common denominator graphics. And also, since FPS on consoles are played with controllers, then perhaps that's what should be the best option to play FPS.

Whether a game controller (keyboard, mouse, gamepad, joystick) is suitable or not is related to the genre and the particular game, not to a platform (at least not for PC)

Funny, it's your approach that I see as idiotic and short sighted. I'm not the one saying that anyone should HAVE to play the game any way. That's you, my friend, suggesting it's fine to make a game on PC that controls horribly on KB+M but fine on a gamepad, which in turn makes it essential to play on a gamepad to enjoy the game.

And no, whether a controller is suitable or not has nothing to do with the genre, nor the platform. It has everything to do with how the controls are designed. I've played flight sims successfully with KB+M, and racers, and platformers. Hell, let's skip back to Witcher 2. It's combat is nothing more than 3rd person hack and slash, yet it worked just fine with a keyboard and mouse. Yet here you are suggesting that the same isn't possible here?

Again, what YOU PREFER is irrelevant. The standards should be observed, and should work effectively. If they don't, that's an oversight on the part of the developer. They can add in whatever additional control systems they like, but if the most common one doesn't work well, they fucked up.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo