Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
21. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 14:36 Teddy

Yep. SOF2 had the ability to create random missions. It used templates of areas, tossed in randomly placed groups of enemies (in random numbers) and off you went.

Granted the mission types were generic, "Get item from here, go to extraction point." or "Escape from the prison camp and get to extraction point." But such is the nature of randomly generated stuff, they have to have a basic framework.

Let me see if I can't find some info on it.

Edit: Templates isn't really the right term. It wasn't one set of levels that just had randomly placed enemies. I mean more, sections of map strung together in different orders, you'd see repetition in the buildings, but they'd be in different locations, etc.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 14:50.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Über Update Thursday, Free Play This Week
20. Re: Team Fortress 2 Über Update Thursday, Free Play This Week Jun 21, 2011, 14:29 Teddy

I almost can't believe no one has said it yet, but I'll take the opportunity.

The Team Fortress 2 Website reveals plans for an Über Update, a new feather in the cap for this teamplay shooter

Is that a metaphorical feather, or a literal one? I mean... does this uber update actually come with a feather for my TF2 hats?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 14:23 Teddy

Acleacius wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 14:19:
Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:37:
Oh wait, I forget. It's the publisher's fault.

Creston
Your certainly a funny guy, pretending like it's a contracted developer who calls the shots, does the Q&A, makes patch/repair list and decides the platform priorities.

I'm sure it was the publisher who said, "You know what? You guys should spend some development time trying to re-invent camera controls on PC. Here's some extra money to do that."

If they just copy-pasted the controls from the console version onto PC, there'd be less issue than with what they did.

News Comments > Gaikai's Walmart Deal
5. Re: Gaikai's Walmart Deal Jun 21, 2011, 14:09 Teddy

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:39:
Bumpy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:22:
LOL. They have a horrible Gameboy-like 8 bit scroller Hawx2 shooter and a defense web game PlantsvsZombies, that's it.

Apparently you've never played either of these games. Hawx 2 is a arcadey combat flight sim, but no way is it an 8 bit scroller. You are very high. And Plants Vs Zombies is a very good tower defense game, I highly recommend it. It sold quite well on Steam and many other platforms. And the web version is just a demo.

Why not click on the link for information before you try to tell someone they're wrong?

"Own the skies with your piloting skills and support Ghost Recon Troops in our 8-bit H.A.W.X. game - H.A.W.X. Blast from the past."

Direct quote about the game available. Add to that, the title bar for the game says "H.A.W.X. 2" for some reason and has the picture of the H.A.W.X. 2 cover beside it.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 14:03 Teddy

baltar wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:54:
Against my better judgement, I am going to play devil's advocate and say that they probably didn't know the controls were going to be this badly an issue until after the demo came out.

I'd have expected them to at least try the controls they're going to sell the game with ONCE. That's all it would have taken for someone to speak up and say "Hey.... isn't this a stupid idea?"

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dungeon Siege III, PC Control Fixes Planned Jun 21, 2011, 14:00 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 13:40:
Unfortunately it doesn't really fix the games major flaws but at least you aren't forced to buy a gamepad to give it a decent run now.

^ This.

At least they wised up and realized that their control scheme was pure idiocy. It doesn't however make this hollow shell of a boring (and I mean BOOOORING) game worthy of the name, having cut out everything that made the previous games distinct and instead trundled out a generic piece of crap in it's place.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 21, 2011, 12:56 Teddy

Ant wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:55:
Anonymous wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 10:48:
Anyone out there love Soldier of Fortune 2 as much as I do?
SOF was cool, but not awesome.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. The ability to randomly generate missions in a first person shooter made it pure awesomeness. Something that no one has done since, to my knowledge.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 20, 2011, 21:38 Teddy

Bulletstorm at $12 puts it right at the range a lot of people were waiting for.

Not the greatest game in the world, but well worth it for that price.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Jun 18, 2011, 21:24 Teddy

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 15:31:
Why is IGNorant reviewing a sophisticated PC title they have no ability to ever understand?

So you're suggesting it doesn't deserve the 8/10 rating they gave it?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage
42. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 18, 2011, 16:18 Teddy

loomy wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 11:41:
bf3 destruction still looks too over the top to me

I'm not going to deny that there's exaggeration involved in what we see. It doesn't look like they quite got it right to me, either, but then this is another one of those things where they stress authenticity, not realism. The ability is there, perhaps exaggerated some to make it look cool and thus be more enjoyable as part of a game.

I also wonder how much the destruction takes into account the material that's hit and the caliber of the rounds fired. Some of that may need to be simplified in the code to avoid slowing things down with 64 people firing away at all things destructable.

41. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 18, 2011, 16:13 Teddy

everyone wrote on Jun 18, 2011, 02:46:
@Teddy
I'm not saying destruction necessarily makes a game less strategic. Just that there didn't seem to be much strategy on display in the BC2 beta, beyond levelling the entire map until the enemy has no place to hide.

Part of that was people just messing around with the destruction and seeing what they can and can't blow up, as well as just pure enjoyment at the ability to do it. Another thing that affected it was that people had yet to adapt to the new mechanic, not yet understanding what it could mean.

Nowadays, it plays quite a bit differently, and you see a lot of very cool things happening as a result of the destruction (speaking in terms of tactical decisions made, not just 'wow that exploded!'). It becomes especially relevant, I found in the rush modes. I tended to play squad rush more often than not, and the ability to open up new routes to the bomb, or expose people defending it by blowing a hole in the wall with an RPG or grenade launcher really made it play differently than the usual bomb modes from say CoD where you ended up with heavy choke points at doorways and halls near the bomb location.

In standard games, defenders generally have a clear advantage on bomb style maps. With destruction added, I felt it was much more balanced and felt like more of an active game when on defense since you couldn't just settle in a corner with your aim on a doorway.

News Comments > SEGA Pass Hacked
4. Re: SEGA Pass Hacked Jun 17, 2011, 23:27 Teddy

How pathetic is that? Lulzsec is now taking offense to someone hacking a game company server and threatening to take action against the offender? How they can't see their own hypocrisy is just freaking astounding.

So when they hack Sony, release data and abuse the data they've acquired, they say BLAME SONY! IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT, NOT OURS!!

But when someone else hacks Sega, it's BLAME THE HACKERS!!! WE'LL GET THOSE JERKS FOR THIS!!!

Just freaking astounding.

News Comments > West/Zampella Lawsuit Heading to Trial
4. Re: West/Zampella Lawsuit Heading to Trial Jun 17, 2011, 22:39 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 22:00:
Elite access now includes an exclusive video feed of the trial.

I doubt this will go to trial, someone will eventually offer a settlement and we'll never know who got what.

I hope so. However much people may want to rail against them, outside of DICE, Respawn is really the only other developer that I'm confident can create shooters to compete with CoD in terms of production quality and mass market appeal. A bad slide in a lawsuit and we may see their new project dead before it starts.

33. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 17, 2011, 22:32 Teddy

Ventura wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 22:09:
Sorry to bust your bubble but bullets can really do that, think you can hide behind a car door? no way bub

To think, all the movies I've seen over the years where the cops are using their cars as shelter when they're being fired upon. I always figured their inevitable defeat was because they were going up against robots from the future or some other wonder, but I guess Wildone has other ideas.

I'm guessing you don't have a job in law enforcement or anything of that nature. You might think you're onto something, but I wouldn't consider giving up your day job just yet if I were you.

I'm having trouble figuring out what your point actually is from this post... Are you trying to suggest he's wrong?

Of course they use their cars as shelter, what other option is there? Stand in the street and try to dodge? Some concealment/cover is better than none. That said, most know that if you're going to use a car as cover, you get behind the engine block. Anything else is just concealment and won't stop a round from hitting you unless you get lucky and it deflects away. Even just as concealment, in a situation where ammunition is limited, the 'bad guys' aren't going to fire very many rounds blindly into the car just hoping to hit someone, lest they end up out of ammo. In that way, concealment becomes nearly as effective.

If you're trying to suggest that he's wrong, then take a look at that "box o truth" site someone linked to. Here, more specifically:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4_2.htm

That's one 7.62mm round that went through 12 boards of sheetrock, 1 jug of water, an inch thick board of hardwood and STILL shattered the brick behind all of them. One round. Out of 20-30 you could fire fully automatic. They can very much chew holes through walls quite rapidly.

32. Re: Battlefield 3 PS3 Footage Jun 17, 2011, 22:17 Teddy

everyone wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 21:33:
Wildone wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 20:41:
Sorry to bust your bubble but bullets can really do that, think you can hide behind a car door? no way bub
I never mentioned realism and I never mentioned car doors, but thanks for the entirely irrelevant input.
Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jun 17, 2011, 20:58:
It's also fun as hell. Destruction and adapting to it is part of the strategy.
Being able to just shoot someone you would have had to flush out with a grenade or try to flank in BF2, is not more strategical.
I don't consider making the game more spammy and brainless to be conducive to 'fun times', either.

Calling it brainless is being pretty naive. You're only looking at it from one side. KNOWING that the walls can be torn away from right in front of you requires the one hiding to plan better, rather than running and hiding within an enclosed building.

Many buildings also have alternate exits, it's a rarity to see buildings with only one way in and one way out. Barring that, to escape, he could just blow a hole in the far wall behind him and pop out from behind the building to ambush the people who expected him to be inside. Or he could position himself so that he can get behind entire buildings as opposed to single walls.

As for the concept of strategy. Strategy is built on options. If the only options you have are to stand outside the building waiting for him to try and get out, try to run in, or throw a grenade inside. That's just 3 different tactics. Your opponent on the other hand is left with 2, hide or run out.

When you can destroy the walls as well, you have all 3 of those options, plus the option to fire blindly into the wall hoping to hit your opponent. Failing to do so, generally means your death as you're desperately trying to reload while your opponent pops out to kill you. You can alternately use some form of explosive to put a hole in one of the walls, hoping to expose or possibly kill your opponent. Failing to do so means he now has two locations to return fire from or attempt an escape, or worse, he was waiting for that and lobs a grenade out just as you take the wall down and you're left either dead or scrambling for cover while he escapes from the building.

Destruction doesn't in the LEAST make combat less strategic. Quite the contrary, it allows for more. If you're looking for simple, clean cut strategy then no doubt you'll hate it. This is much messier, more chaotic and requires you to think more, since there are more possible actions to anticipate from your opponent.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced
17. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced Jun 16, 2011, 16:10 Teddy

Dades wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 16:00:
Teddy wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 15:58:
Pretty sure they said that elite subscriptions would give you the dlc without additional cost.

This is pretty easy to figure out. Which method would make Activision more money? That's the one they're choosing.

Cute, except they already said that you get them for free if you subscribe to elite. I don't intend to buy MW3, much less pay for elite but making shit up about a company because you don't like them is pretty pathetic. Activision does enough to inspire hate, they really don't need your help, or lies to do that.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced
15. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Annihilation Announced Jun 16, 2011, 15:58 Teddy

Respen wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 14:49:
I'm voting with my wallet. Elite online gaming services for a fee in addition to this 15 bucks a shot for DLC is ridiculous. I miss the days when I could go back to a game I hadn't touched in 6 months and have a blast... now I have to pay 60 bucks again to go back because of the DLC I missed.

I'm sorry but my PC isn't a slot machine, I'm not THAT addicted that I can't say no and it has no coin slot for all of his nickel and dime bullshit. Fuck Activision and CoD, Battlefield is on a slippery slope as well.

Pretty sure they said that elite subscriptions would give you the dlc without additional cost.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
78. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 15:24 Teddy

Teddy wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:46:
He's just trying to keep his job now. Nothing more.

Seems he just failed at that.

News Comments > 2K on DNF PR
5. Re: 2K on DNF PR Jun 15, 2011, 15:23 Teddy

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm not ordinarily one to laugh at another's misfortune, but I have a REAL dislike for PR suits. The irony of a PR person making a rash and completely unnecessary comment that costs them their business just makes me smile.

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
77. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 15:15 Teddy

yonder wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 14:35:
I think someone is missing one of the entire founding points of Duke. Part of what *SHOULD* be the appeal of the game is it's horrible over-the-topness and unapologetic juvenile humor. And I love it for that. This quote (the one above, not mine) pretty much summarizes what's wrong with about 20% of the negative opinions (20% of each opinion). If you're offended by the juvenile idiocy of Duke... that's like being offended by torture in a Saw movie or blood in a zombie movie. Or, to be blunt... you're kinda an idiot.

I'm not offended by the humor. I'm simply not amused by it. That's the problem. I would say this needs to be compared to something relevant. Take South Park for example. They use over the top, unapologetic, juvenile humor, but the difference is, they have a point behind all their jokes while DNF does not. It's the difference between satire and flat shock humor that's only 'offensive' for the sake of being 'offensive'.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo