Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
20. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:36 Teddy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live
59. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 17, 2011, 00:07 Teddy

yuastnav wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 04:57:
Teddy wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 00:29:
[...]

So you want to talk about Dungeons & Dragons without even mentioning Jack Vance? Good sir, you just lost all credibility.

I get the impression this is supposed to be humor (if not, it's a pretty poor argument), though I have to admit that I fail to see how not being familiar with a single author has any bearing on what I actually said, regardless of how fond the creators of D&D may have been of him.

47. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 16, 2011, 00:29 Teddy

Doombringer wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 23:54:
Teddy wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 22:08:
http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/deathknight.shtml

Care to try that again? The Death Knight class came from the Death Knight hero class in Warcraft 3, which vastly predates anything Age of Conan did.

Dislike a game if you want, dislike a company if you want, but you really should draw the line at libel. It doesn't take more than a handful of seconds to actually look something up, try it once and a while and you won't look so stupid.

I agree with you, but I had to laugh when you pointed to Warcraft 3 as being the source of an original idea. I'm a huge fan of Blizzard, but damn, they cribbed a LOT from Games Workshop.

If we're going to go that far back, then I can just as easily point out how many things Games Workshop 'cribbed' from Dungeons and Dragons. In truth, the first occurance of a "Death Knight" in any game, to my knowledge was from Dungeons and Dragons back in the late 70's.

And of course if we're going to talk about D&D, may as well talk about Tolkien, and from there we can go back to CS Lewis, and from there to R.E.Howard, from there to Dodgson, the Brothers Grimm, etc, etc back to myth and legend.

The nature of art is that it builds on what came before. Hell, the nature of the world is such. My point wasn't specifically to say that Blizzard is the glorious creator of all things, but to dismiss the idea that they "Stole" the idea for Death Knights from a game that doesn't have the history (much less the relevance) to even make an absurd claim like that.

44. Re: Blizzard's Real ID Testing Live Jul 15, 2011, 22:08 Teddy

OldScho0l wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 16:40:
Blizz didn't actually invent many of the things in WOW. Any time a new MMO comes out, Blizz goes and rapes them of all their best ideas and adds them to WOW. I've witnessed this happen with many new mmo's. Blizzard is a thieving pos. My favorite example is the Sadist Class from Age of Conan. The Death Knight class in WOW came from the Dark Templar in Conan (Healing via damage). Much of the UI in wow today originated in Warhammer online.

http://classic.battle.net/war3/undead/units/deathknight.shtml

Care to try that again? The Death Knight class came from the Death Knight hero class in Warcraft 3, which vastly predates anything Age of Conan did.

Dislike a game if you want, dislike a company if you want, but you really should draw the line at libel. It doesn't take more than a handful of seconds to actually look something up, try it once and a while and you won't look so stupid.

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
18. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 15, 2011, 00:42 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 15, 2011, 00:25:

Well there's nothing really special about the game that merits a $50 purchase, which I guess reflects in the low sales. I am more saying I disagree with reviews saying it's a bad game... for what it wants to be it's pretty well done.

Disagreed 100%. It was an awful game. Boring as hell, straight "follow the dotted line" game with nothing interesting in it to make it worth $10 much less $50. It shat on it's predecessor almost as bad as DNF did.

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
7. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 14, 2011, 23:24 Teddy

Doug Creutz, an analyst with Cowen and Co., had expected June sales to disappoint, although he said several titles aimed at hardcore gamers did worse than expected. Those include “Duke Nukem Forever” from Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., and “Red Faction: Armageddon” from THQ Inc. Both were hurt by poor reviews, he said.

Oh Analysts, how I love the skewed world you see, sometimes.

"Both were hurt by poor reviews". No, both were hurt by being poor games.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
8. Re: Morning Screenshots Jul 12, 2011, 20:01 Teddy

Stag on a green background is incorrect. Should be yellow. Outside of that, they're 'essentially' correct, but very simplistic compared to the originals.

http://georgerrmartin.com/

vs

http://www.agot-genesis.com/index.php?rub=game-houses

The former being the real deal, the latter, the video game versions.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 10, 2011, 18:12 Teddy

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 17:33:
Is Borderlands any good in single player

No, it sucks ass. I'd gift that fucker out of my catalog in a second, if I could.

Disagree 100%. It's not a startlingly great game and yes it does get repetitive, but for $7.50, it's well worth the cost even just for single player.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
49. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 23:08 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 22:59:
I applaud DICE for pushing the envelope and designing a game that doesn't pull any punches. XP/DX9 support is a liability at this point, technology doesn't move forward when you're worried about accommodating a TEN-YEAR-OLD operating system. Spend the $150 to upgrade your dinosaur of a PC to Windows 7 and DX10.

And again folks... this has already been debunked as FAKE. These ARE NOT the system requirements of BF3.

48. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 23:07 Teddy

Draugr wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 21:05:
He is here to troll just like every bf3 related thread, just ignore him.

Oh, I know exactly who and what he is. That's what makes it funny to me. Such an over-the-top reaction from a known CoD fanboy speaks of his real, deep-seated panic that BF3 might just end up being a better game.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 21:00 Teddy

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:30:
Here is what they should have wrote as a BF3 spec:

"Your going to need BIG BLUE in order to run this STEAMING PIECE OF CRAP even on 640x480 .... if you don't shell out $3 grand for a quad core SLI rig with an OCTO CPU your in for a laggathon beyond your freakin wildest dreams. HAHAHAHA it took us 8 hours to render that crap 2 minute video on a render farm that cost more then your house. You guys suck....Hope you can hit someone at 80 yards with that sniper rifle at 1 FPS. LOL a slide show on flash is going to look like a grade a first class AAA title ... did you expect us to make a smooth game FPS with game play in mind when instead we can make money with crap fake rendered videos?

Someone clearly sounds threatened.

News Comments > New Battlefield 3 Details
18. Re: New Battlefield 3 Details Jul 7, 2011, 23:18 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 23:10:
Red Orchestra 2 has the same bipod and suppressive fire mechanics. I wonder if BF3 saw the video previews and stole the ideas.

People always like to think their favorite devs came up with something first and everyone else must just be copying.

As someone else posted, this existed in the Project Reality mod, is the RO2 team just copying them? No doubt someone came up with it before that too, and the PR team must be "stealing" their idea.

IP is bullshit as a concept, ideas are not property. They cannot be stolen, only used. If it's a good idea, then hopefully it will be in more shooters once Battlefield 3 makes it popular. Something that RO2 can't do with it's small audience.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod
25. Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Mod Jul 7, 2011, 00:03 Teddy

Riker wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 18:39:
This is an great peak into what Oblivion could've been as a game, instead of a beautiful-but-incredibly-dull environmental simulator. I sure hope Bethesda makes an interesting game out of Skyrim.

That's a pretty heavy assumption to make. Someone made a flashy video to advertise what they're making. There's no proof anywhere that this will be anything but a "beautiful-but-incredibly-dull environmental simulator' either.

It looks nice and I may well try it if it ever gets made in english, but I have no intention of claiming it's better or worse than the original until I've tried it.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned
17. Re: No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned Jul 6, 2011, 01:50 Teddy

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 00:07:
Translated: We're actually having a hard time MAKING the mod tools, and we just can't be bothered. Also, we love the idea of selling map packs with recycled maps for 15 bucks a pop, since you monkeys have amply demonstrated that you'll eat that shit like it's cake.

Creston

This is pretty much it. They've already stated that they're going to have 3 times the DLC of Bad Company 2. So with their need to sell as many map packs as possible, they won't want any competition.

That they used the "You're too stupid to understand them." excuse instead of owning up to it is what galls me. I don't give a damn how complicated they made it, telling me it's too 'complicated' for me, or too much of a 'challenge' is just fucking insulting.

It's alright, maybe my poor, fractured little mind won't be able to figure out how to use my credit card when it comes time to buy the game.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned
3. Re: No Battlefield 3 Mod Tools Planned Jul 5, 2011, 22:22 Teddy

You would think somewhere along the way, some reasonably adept PR person would have told anyone talking to the media that any statement inferring that their customers are stupid might be poorly recieved.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 3 Interview
2. Re: Modern Warfare 3 Interview Jun 30, 2011, 07:32 Teddy

We’re able to put so much on the screen because it’s an engine and it’s well-known...

This is my favorite line of the interview thus far. Where did they find this guy they interviewed? The mail room? Because it's an engine? Doesn't every FPS run on an engine of some sort? Because it's well known? How does the notoriety of the engine have anything to do with how many things you can fit on screen at once?

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 17:15 Teddy

Veterator wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 15:29:
My feeling on the matter is even if one of the employees were involved, firing a sizable portion of your security staff is not going to allow you to secure yourself from anything the employee did.

I don't disagree. I'm more speaking of a legal standpoint. All it would take is one former employee being involved to cast doubt that it was avoidable. It then becomes a matter of sabotage, rather than negligence.

Again, I'm not saying this is even remotely likely, just suggesting the possibility and contemplating the effect it would have on potential lawsuits.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 24, 2011, 14:58 Teddy

Dev wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 14:26:
Way to go Sony! I talked about how security/IT are sometimes in the first wave to be downsized since they have no directly obvious effect on the bottom line, but I had no idea Sony themselves were going to prove my point.

Sounds like negligence if a class action happens.

Unless it proves that any one of the employees laid off was involved. I doubt it, but I don't discount the possibility.

News Comments > First Brink DLC to be Free for Two Weeks
2. Re: First Brink DLC to be Free for Two Weeks Jun 24, 2011, 14:56 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jun 24, 2011, 14:52:
You can't really charge for DLC when only 700 people are playing the game but I guess have fun trying.

Tell that to EA and the Medal of Honor DLC. There were people who bought it not really knowing how few people were actually playing the game, only to do a search for games in the new game mode and find a nice big "0 Players" message.

To my knowledge, they never got their money back and EA is still selling that same DLC for $10.

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play
4. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 14:54 Teddy

Narf2029 wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 12:54:
It was a good ride while it lasted, but if my $15 a month doesn't continue to get me the same stuff it does now the ride is over. If it does, then hurrah so what, business as usual.

That's how LoTRO was when it went F2P. The subscription included everything it did before. The F2P section was just limited, forcing you to buy "nonessential" things like the riding skill, etc. Or pay for additional character slots beyond the (I think 3) you got for free.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo