Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Jul 28, 2011, 22:41 Teddy

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam
36. Re: Dragon Age II DLC Released, Game Pulled from Steam Jul 27, 2011, 12:54 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 12:37:
I think he means that the CoD Elite thing comes with the maps, but that's not really a sub to play them. You just get codes for them if you are a subscriber. People seem to be utterly baffled by that service and assume it is tons of things it isn't.

The way he put it certainly sounded confused, but do you honestly think that Activision is going to give you all of their $15 map packs permanently if you just subscribe to their Elite service for a month?

Their only way of managing it would have to be to remove access to the maps if you cancel your subscription, or force you to pay for a full year subscription.

You could purchase the map packs seperately as an option, but I don't buy for a single second that a subscription to Elite will just gift them to you permanently without some kind of big (and expensive) catch.

News Comments > EA Financials
9. Re: EA Financials Jul 27, 2011, 04:35 Teddy

Zavy wrote on Jul 27, 2011, 04:09:
So if TOR flops ala age of conan then EA will go bankrupt?

Read the article again. In one single quarter, EA posted $524 million dollars worth of revenue. Taking into account that different quarters sell more or less than others, that puts them somewhere between $1 billion and $2 billion in sales per year.

Just in profit alone, they posted $221 Million. Again, that's somewhere betweeen $500-800 million over the course of a year.

A couple hundred million loss on ToR if it sold zero copies would hurt them, but bankrupt? Not a chance. If there was even a chance that it could, they wouldn't have agreed to do it in the first place. You don't fuck around and take risks that could sink a multi-billion dollar company for the potential of profit. New companies take risks, not established cash cows.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever DLC This Fall
12. Re: Duke Nukem Forever DLC This Fall Jul 27, 2011, 00:17 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 23:48:
It wasn't that bad. The guy in the video complains about a lot of gameplay mechanics or design choices that were also present in HL2 and tries to justify it by saying "they're different types of games!" No, they really aren't that different. They both have:

1) Lengthy intro segments where you don't fight anything.
2) Lots of platforming.
3) Some puzzle-solving.
4) Prolonged vehicle segments.

If you enjoyed the HL games, chances are you'll find some enjoyment out of DNF too.

They have similarities, sure, but Half-life did it all better 7 years ago. I liked both HL games and was bored out of my skull playing DNF. I didn't even bother to finish it after forcing myself to play through a few hours.

News Comments > EA Financials
5. Re: EA Financials Jul 26, 2011, 23:04 Teddy

Dev wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 21:59:
The GAAP info shows that EA had $221 million profit instead of a loss, wonder why the huge difference.

They're posting a $221 million dollar profit, AND a $123 million dollar loss if you take into account Deferred Revenue.

Deferred Revenue could be anything from pre-sales of games to individual customers, or major sellers committing money early for some reason for products that are yet unfinished (retailer specific pre-sale bonuses come to mind).

Essentially money that has been given them but can be taken back partially or in full if say a game suffers large delays.

Such is my understanding anyways.

So they made a profit, but some of that is counting on future products to perform well.

News Comments > DICE on BF3 PC/Console Differences
7. Re: Console limitations Jul 26, 2011, 12:32 Teddy

Quboid wrote on Jul 26, 2011, 12:02:
Wait, do console gamers bitch and moan about how PC gamers get better versions and how they're stuck being second class citizens?

In the one instance that they are, yes. All of a sudden, they're the red headed stepchild that's been treated poorly for Oh-so-long.

That's gamers in general though, really. One perceived slight and all of a sudden they're downtroden and constnatly oppressed as a people.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time
1. Re: Quoteworthy - Pachter on Crunch Time Jul 25, 2011, 21:12 Teddy

Ah yes, and exactly what REAL work have you done in your lifetime Mr. Pachter? None? None at all? Yes, that's what I thought.

Keep on speculating. Keep on lying. Someone will probably pay you more for it than the honesty of any of those people you disparage.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial FAQ
10. Re: Battlefield 3 Alpha Trial FAQ Jul 25, 2011, 20:42 Teddy

eunichron wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 19:13:
Of course in the entire history of gaming alphas and betas have always been indicative of the final versions of games.

If you didn't catch it, that was extreme sarcasm.

Alphas, I tend to agree with, but as for betas, we heard the same thing from fanboys on the Medal of Honor forums during it's beta. "It's just a beta, the full game so much better! All these problems will be fixed by release!"

Of course the idiots spewing their "The full game won't be like the beta" crap had no concept that the 'beta' was less than one month before the release date of the game, meaning it had already gone gold and shipped for printing.

The full game had every single problem the beta had and even added a few for good measure.

Particularly relevant info, considering it's the same publisher and same developer (on the MP side).

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog
17. Re: Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog Jul 21, 2011, 21:05 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 20:26:
Teddy wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 19:57:
I say where is the official notification of it? ...

Deal with it.

It was released, quietly or not, it's out. So instead of screaming like a child about them lying about it ever being released, you are going to do the same, but this time because they didn't knock on your front door, hold your hand while you went on the internet and showed you where it is.

You'd look like less of a douche if you just admitted you were wrong, and move along.

Edit: They had also mentioned the imminent release of the mod tools on May 26 in the Black Ops patch notes. It's not up to the world to inform you every time something is released.
I would think that if you were that interested, you would be following modding websites and would have heard by now...or at the very least do a Google search before running your mouth, considering there is plenty of information out there about it.

Yes, how dare a paying customer be offended at the sheer lack of attention and information provided about the product he purchased. This isn't a matter of "Whoops, I missed it." and you know it. They released something that they promised with nary a whisper and can't be bothered to even mention it anywhere for it to be seen and you consider that support? Customer Service? Behaving like this is perfectly normal behavior from a billion dollar company is the same as countenancing the way they've treated customers. If you're the sort of person who accepts being treated like dirt by a company, then you're just another part of the problem.

Expecting a link or a news item on the products website is hardly expecting someone to hold my hand. It's expecting common courtesy from a company I did business with (which I will no longer, incidentally). It's not up to the 'world' to inform me when something is released, but it IS up to the company that made it. Do you sit around googling every game you own to see if there's a patch for it? Hardly, you expect to be notified by the company or have it handled automatically for you.

You can try and pass it off as "screaming like a child" but you know full well how full of it you are on the subject. You're actually defending a company using a single twitter comment as an acceptable way of informing the community of something as substantial as fulfilling a pre-sale promise? You'd look like less of a douche, yourself if you weren't so busy shilling for them.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog Jul 21, 2011, 19:57 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 16:58:
Teddy wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 16:13:
Any goodwill they earned from me for all that was destroyed when they lied about the map and mod tools they told us they were going to release.

https://twitter.com/#!/pcdev/status/83685461264039936

http://codbomp.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-ops-mod-tools-download-beta.html

Just because you missed it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

What do you have to say now?

I say where is the official notification of it? Where is the news on the Call of Duty website? Where is there even a fucking MENTION of it on their website? Or am I expected to find the right person to follow on twitter for information?

They slip out a beta surreptitiously with all the fanfare of a twitter comment, and you expect me to be abashed for being unaware of it? Get real. I'll have a look at them, but considering they can't be bothered to even mention them on their own website, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be anything worthwhile.

Edit: ROFL. Even Steam doesn't bother mentioning it exists in any of it's news posts for Black Ops. It just showed up one day on the tools section.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2011, 20:09.

11. Re: Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog Jul 21, 2011, 16:13 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 14:02:
Bhruic wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 13:34:
You think Activision even remembers they are making a PC version? You're quite the optimist.

If Black Ops is anything to go by, MW3 should have full Steam integration, Steam's server browser, achieves, etc. This was one of a few things that sold me on Black ops when they had the free weekend a couple months back.

So it's more about if those left at Infinity Ward learned anything from Treyarch.

I still won't get MW3 until it's hugely discounted (if at all). BF3 is still top priority for me.

Any goodwill they earned from me for all that was destroyed when they lied about the map and mod tools they told us they were going to release. That's why -I- bought the game, because of that promise now broken. As far as I'm concerned, Treyarch has very little they could teach anyone in terms of respect for their customers.

News Comments > More on BF3 and Steam
249. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 20:12 Teddy

*sigh*

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 14:34:
You call me stupid ...

Teddy wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 13:40:
You don't strike me as stupid...

8. Re: Morning Previews Jul 19, 2011, 17:38 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 17:22:
Oh give me a break and unknot your panties, girls. We all know that most grunts in any aspect of the military aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. And since Buscho lowered the requirements for recruitment on everything from IQ to criminal records its gotten even worse. I wouldn't trust most of those yo-yos with a pack of matches, much less access to automatic weapons and heavy ordinance. The multitudes of dead civilians around the world can attest to that fact. Sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade.

You want me to call a spade a spade? Fine. The spade I'll call out this time is you. Good money says you're nothing but another non-military fuckwit who's never so much as spoken to a real soldier in their entire life, yet you feel so comfortably superior that you can declare tham all lesser people without realizing how supremely foolish an assertion that is. Just another ass who lives his life in the middle of a safety-padded world and thinks himself better or smarter than all those who would put their lives before his.

There's your fucking spade, coward.

224. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 13:40 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 13:19:
I know that WoW, Starcraft 2 and Minecraft are the most successful PC games of the last couple years and none of them were on Steam.

Which neither explains why, nor gives any measure of evidence that they wouldn't or couldn't have been MORE successful if they were available on Steam as well.

Your latter argument cuts right to the point of your opinion. You seem to think that people use steam out of some misguided sense of loyalty, like we're all hapless fools who don't know what's best for ourselves.

I never said anything like that... where the hell did you pull that from?

"Valve, Blizzard, EA... all of them are doing this for the money, none of them are your friends."

Right, that doesn't at all imply that people who do prefer to buy from Steam think Valve is their 'friend' or in some way more worthy of loyalty.

Maybe you honestly don't understand the implications of what you say, but somehow I doubt it. You don't strike me as stupid, just as another dick that tries to hide his disdain for others through feigned civility. There's a clear derisive tone to that statement, as if you know better than we what these companies are like and we need your patronizing commentary to understand.

1. Re: Morning Previews Jul 19, 2011, 13:12 Teddy

It's hard enough to craft bots that can simply shoot and move -- let alone flank, deliver suppressing fire, and do other things that take high school dropouts years of Marine training to learn.

Really Gamespy? Really? I can't say I had the greatest respect for that rag before now, but insulting soldiers from your comfy position behind a desk?

Un-freaking-believable.

220. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 12:52 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 03:01:
Yeah but you're missing the whole point. Valve take 30-40% of the price when they make a Steam sale. When Blizzard sells Starcraft 2 on battle.net they get 100% of the price. When EA sell Battlefield 3 on Origin they get 100% of the price. More to the point in this exact storyline, when they sell DLC through the game itself they get 100% of THAT money.

In other words losing a small percentage of sales from the people who really do refuse to buy anywhere but Steam is made up for by all the people who would have bought it on Steam who are now going to buy it on battle.net, or whatever. Then they get all the DLC money too. It's a win-win.

Like I said in another thread on this same subject a while back I see nothing wrong with someone making a game and selling it directly on their website. The consumer and seller have a direct relationship and no middle-man gets in the way or takes any of the profits. I always try to buy indie games on the developer's website when possible for this reason. What EA is doing is the same thing, just on a larger scale. They're not even doing that actually since they still sell the games themselves elsewhere, they just want you to buy from Origin and want to sell the DLC themselves... any why not? You would want the same thing if you ran EA.

More to the point Valve do EXACTLY the same thing. They only sell their games digitally on Steam and they have their own in-game shops. Valve, Blizzard, EA... all of them are doing this for the money, none of them are your friends. None of them care about losing some customers if it means more profit from the other ones. All of them are trying to leverage the download market to get the most profit...

I didn't miss the point at all. Rather I think it's the other way around. You are trying to attribute a number value to something that you cannot EVER know, and trying to pass it off as fact.

You have no idea whether or not it's a "small percentage of sales" since the game never appeared on the Steam platform and thus your entire argument on that front is nothing but baseless opinion.

To put it in perspective, there are presently 30,000,000 steam accounts. Starcraft 2 sold 4,500,000 units and the best indication is that only 31% of those were sold through battle net. That's approximately 1.4 million digitcal copies sold.

Do you really mean to suggest that a market of 26,000,000 people doesn't have the potential to sell enough units to offset the 60% (which we all know is a number you pulled out of your ass, incidentally) cut they'll get? If even 5% of those remaining people decided to buy the game on a whim from steam, it would sell numbers to compete with battle.net and would offset Steam's take EVEN if every person who bought it on battle net bought it on Steam instead.

Your latter argument cuts right to the point of your opinion. You seem to think that people use steam out of some misguided sense of loyalty, like we're all hapless fools who don't know what's best for ourselves.

I buy games in what is the easiest manner for myself, and when that is made more difficult for me than it needs to be so that a multi-billion dollar company can squeeze a few more dollars out of me, I get annoyed. I don't give a damn what's best for EA. They're a company that's asking for MY business, not the other way around. It's in their best interest to make me want to buy their games, and making it more irritating for me to do so makes me less likely to do so. Basic logic, and basic business sense.

199. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 02:21 Teddy

Look at it this way Dev; At least it didn't ask you if you wanted to add friends from facebook before you go.  

196. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 01:54 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 23:07:
Again, this idea that a PC game of Battlefield's stature needs Steam is so ridiculous. Starcraft 2, dude... Starcraft 2.

That's one argument, but is has very little to support it. All I need to is ask "How many more copies would have been sold had it been available on Steam?"

You cannot deny that there are casual gamers who would have bought it on steam had a shiny advertisement for it popped up in front of them with a button to buy on loading up steam, much less on a steam sale, yet would not have gone out of their way to find Blizzard's download service. On the other hand, I can't cite any reliable numbers to suggest it might be a significant amount.

Since there's no way to answer the oiriginal question, the argument is null. Certainly it doesn't NEED it to be successful, but the real question is, would it be MORE successful if it had it?

195. Re: More on BF3 and Steam Jul 19, 2011, 01:47 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 19, 2011, 00:33:
A lot of the people saying they won't buy it now are talking out of their ass, of course. As for the rest EA will likely make them up by making 100% of the money for each Origin sale compared to 60% or whatever through Steam.

I fully intend to still buy it, but for the inconvenience they're causing me I intend to inconvenience them as much as I can in doing so. I mean to buy the game from whatever available dealer takes the biggest cut from EA for the sale.

It may be spiteful, but I sure as hell am not going to reward EA for inconveniencing me by giving them even more money through their own service.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
21. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 21:37 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 14:06:
The funny part of this story on Eurogamer was that they acted like all the GR games were console ports. In actuality of course the original game and expansions were PC games ported to consoles and the GRAW games, still the most recent releases, had unique and exclusive PC versions.

In any event, free-to-play online games are not what I want, PC exclusive or not.

Sadly GRiN had no idea what-so-ever about how to make a secure multiplayer game. You could literally edit text files in GRAW and remove all the buildings in a level, giving you free roam of the map and the ability to see and shoot enemies without that pesky village in the way. (edit: To be clear, everyone else still saw the buildings and were restricted by them. Just you weren't.) Wanted a grenade launching chaingun with unlimited ammo? Sure, just change a few numbers in the weapons file and the game just shrugged and said "Sure, whatever". Took them months to fix it and by then the online community was dead.

I remember being so excited at having such openness in the files, the ability to flip through so much of the game's code and mess around gave it such potential to mod, but the fact that they didn't bother to think about file checking so that client side mods didn't function in MP was something I just didn't expect them to so completely fail at.

Of course I'm sure Ubisoft just blamed the gamers for lack of people playing and the poor sales of GRAW 2. Fickle creatures we are, wanting decently designed games.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo