Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
383. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 4, 2011, 18:27 Teddy

Bhruic wrote on Aug 4, 2011, 16:31:
It's funny, of all the silly statements that Teddy made, that was the last one I expected to get a bite on. But if you check Bard's post history, he does seem to be heavy on the crackpot theories, so...

Actually, I can't say I'm surprised. Fill a room with 10 people and at least one of those will have "proof" that it was an inside job, and that person will be DESPERATE to tell you all about it.

Of course, that "proof" is in the form of links to websites that say it's all true.

It sure is a good thing that everything written on the internet is true. Would make it a lot harder to tell fact from fiction if people could just lie about stuff with zero reprecussions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter
12. Re: Activision Financials, Diablo III Beta This Quarter Aug 4, 2011, 02:34 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 22:28:
WoW may live for another decade for sure, but as a niche product much like UO. If it's not hemmoraghing customers on a massive scale now it will be soon with SWTOR, GW2, Titan, etc. At this point there's little keeping anyone around WoW except for the social aspect of it, and for the serious raiders and pvpers - a minority.

They just announced another 300,000 accounts lost last quarter. That's 900,000 accounts in half a year. I think that qualifies as hemmorhraging at this point.

News Comments > EA: Origin Accounts "May be Cancelled for Non-use"
49. Re: EA: Origin Accounts Aug 3, 2011, 19:39 Teddy

Dev wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 19:07:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 18:59:
It almost hurts to say this, but consoles are looking like the only way you can ""own" your copy of the game nowadays.
That's certainly not the case. You can get banned and stuff taken away on consoles too. In fact here's a hilarious page that where people lie and beg and try to get unbanned from xbox bans (its copied from official xbox forum) http://whywasibanned.com/
Or with PS3 lose access to stuff you bought for months when the online services went down, they took a bunch of games with them since some of them had extra DRM layered on top that made you login to PSN to play single player games.

There are certainly some very stupid people on that site, but what I found most interesting was the extent to which Microsoft spies on people using Xbox Live. Everything from profile info to reading private messages sent between players.

Had no idea they did that sort of thing.

News Comments > Call of Duty XP Attendees Get MW3 Hardened Edition
1. Re: Call of Duty XP Attendees Get MW3 Hardened Edition Aug 3, 2011, 18:42 Teddy

Not a CoD fan, but that's a suprisingly good deal. $150 for tickets to a two day con, and you get a $80 edition of the game included?  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access
35. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 18:26 Teddy

Verno wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 09:28:
Battlelog isn't godawful or anything, it has basically everything that the BC2 browser did. That being said its still launching a game through the web browser which feels like adding an extra (unnecessary) step to getting into the game itself. It requires installation of two plugins which I'm not a fan of either, I don't want EA/Valve/whoever having any form of plugin in my web browser as they cannot be trusted. It's also married to the EA backend which is very problematic considering EAs limited support for many of their online titles and goes against their claimed support for platform agnostic solutions. Implementation left a lot to be desired in alpha too - launching BF3 via Origin launched Battlelog which launched Origin again when you chose a server. You couldn't even run BF3.exe standalone as people claim is possible with Origin, hopefully that's just an alpha limitation but answers like the above make me a bit weary.

It may or may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people but I suspect a fair number of people still want their in-game server browsers on the PC which is this titles lead SKU. They would do well to heed that.

Pretty much. It's no deal breaker for me, but it's certainly annoying. It worked very well for what it was, but I don't like having to run it just to run my game.

News Comments > Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More
379. Re: Diablo III Will Require Persistent Connection, Feature Cash Auctions, and More Aug 3, 2011, 18:21 Teddy

Dear god, we're stalling out and we haven't even hit 400 yet? Time to roll up my sleeves...

Blizzard sucks, Steam sucks, Battlefield sucks, CoD is awesome, indie games are trash.

<Insert Game Company Here> is entitled to do whatever they want, anyone who disagrees is just a fanboy of <Insert Competing Company Here>.

Dragon Age 2 deserved the 94% it got from PC Gamer.

Duke Nukem Forever was an awesome and true sequel to Duke 3d.

Bush planned 9/11.

Bin Laden is still alive.

So is Saddam Hussein.

Every new version of Call of Duty gets more original than the last.

Activision is the best publisher in the world with the most handsome and most intelligent CEO that ever existed.

Oh yeah, and you're all stupid. Every one of you. Yes, even you.

That should buy a few more.

News Comments > "Low Violence" Red Orchestra 2 for Australia?
7. Re: Aug 3, 2011, 18:08 Teddy

fatguy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 16:26:
WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?

My favorite form of censorship are the RO servers, and other games' servers, that kick/ban for harsh language. While the innocent children pretend to mass murder hundreds or even thousands of others while decapitating and blowing their limbs off, we must protect their virgin ears from the harsh evil sounds/letters of a curse word... Ugh... censorship...

Oh yea, and god forbid there's a nip slip! The children may as well be anally raped by satan himself if they see that.

Some people find incessant cursing distracting and reduces their enjoyment, just as I'm sure some people find being censored reduces their enjoyment. The difference is, you're in the server THEY are paying for, thus their comfort and enjoyment takes precedence over your own.

34. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 12:43 Teddy

cansser wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 10:55:
eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:28:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 20:14:
The alpha was supposedly only running DX9 and locked at low settings (or at least settings lower than maximum). My only complaint with the graphics was that they were kind of bland, hopefully that changes with DX11 and higher settings, but even at DX9 it looked pretty damn good.

Actually you could press esc and go into the settings menu and change the graphics to high. It even detected my 3 monitors so it works perfectly with eyefinity.

You could change the words, but there were no graphical differences between low and high in the alpha.

26. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 03:08 Teddy

elefunk wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 02:03:
From the second that Origin was announced I never expected it to be anything less than what Steamworks is for Valve games. Origin is *the* friends list, *the* server browser, *the* community integration, and more. It doesn't make sense that you would require a web browser to launch the game, that would be pretty stupid even by EA's standards. It'll be integrated right with the game. Much like how Steamworks uses a web browser for much of its stuff in-game and out-of-game.

Like it, hate it, whatever, but that's almost certainly what it'll be. And personally for me, I'd rather have a fully integrated system like that than some Gamespy shit or half-baked EA account system that Bad Company 2 had.

It wasn't in the alpha though. Your friends list on the Battlelog was not the friends you had in Origin, nor was the browser part of Origin. It loaded the game through Origin after you'd selected a server through the website and opted to join. Friends on origin didn't show up in Battlelog, and vice versa.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses
42. Re: Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses Aug 3, 2011, 00:41 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:24:
Not going to play in the alpha for BF3, I'll wait until a few days into release probably so the server browser might be more stable.

Probably a good thing that you're not going to play in the Alpha, seeing as how it's already over.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:20 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:13:
I'm going by this fabulously slippery answer from yesterday:

@Demize99 @zh1nt0 will we be able to play the final game without having to use a web browser?

@ChrisSchewanick Battelog is an integral feature to the Battlefield 3 experience on the PC.

http://twitter.com/#!/Demize99/statuses/97951424561942528

Nice catch, and nice shady answer on the topic. I hate when people simply refuse to say the word "No."

Guess I should have known better than to trust them. :/

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings: War in the North in November
12. Re: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North in November Aug 3, 2011, 00:17 Teddy

JAGUART wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:16:
Creston wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 11:00:

Yeah, not the brightest decision.
Unbelievable. This is the kind of title you need to release in July when there's nothing else to play and people will pick it up because they're bored.

Creston
Oh come on guys, you all know what November means since at least 1995. Now we're gonna criticize classic November game releases too?

It's not november game releases in general, it's releasing a game that doesn't have a huge following at roughly the same time as Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3 and god knows what else.

They have an IP that people love, but the game is not part of a series that gamers are familiar with so they'll be skeptical and skeptical gamers at a time when they have a ton of other AAA titles to choose from means you're killing your own sales.

Creston's right on the money. Early summer release would have done them wonders for sales. Maybe they couldn't get it done in time, who knows. Maybe they actually think they can compete with the behemoths that are coming out this november. Either way, they shot themselves in the foot and will probably blame it on the PC gaming market.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:09 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:00:
No matter what, you have to launch the game from the Battlelog website anyway.

That was just for the purposes of the alpha, and will likely be the same for the beta. They confirmed a while back that the game will have the browser and whatnot integrated for those who didn't want to use Battlelog.

Whether they hold to that is another question, but they said it.

40. Re: Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses Aug 3, 2011, 00:01 Teddy

OldScho0l wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 20:52:
In the Alpha, I played as a sniper until I unlocked the Bipod and I got most of my points per round by spamming Q as I looked around the BF with my 12x scope.

THAT WAS YOU!?!

*shakefist*

That was a lot of people, really. I tried not to use it myself, though there's no real way to un-see that dorito-of-doom running along behind the bushes to flank you.

I spent most of my time playing as an engie in the Alpha and fiddled a bit with support to test out the bipod/suppression dealie.

There's definitely plenty of balancing to do. Engineers for example get 8 freaking RPGs, and they get reloaded by ammo packs. I remember defending one path into the subway by spamming rockets at the entrance any time I saw movement, and a support guy was beside me prone, having dropped an ammo pack behind me. Didn't run out of RPG's until the round was over, plenty of double and triple kills from that situation.

It was a bit absurd. Still baffled why they kept trying to take that route instead of the other 2 options, but they just kept funneling right on in like a bunch of lemmings.

39. Re: Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 23:55 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 18:47:
The only gun I use in BC2 (and BC2:V) is the M1 Garand. It's neat because I can use it with any class but I'm mostly engineer.

So in a roundabout way I'm playing the same build I played in 1942.

Engie with M1, bazooka, and repair.

It has the same stats in BC2 and BC2:V except a little bit faster.

See now, that's the exact reason why I haven't used the garand. Used it plenty in BF1942. It'd just feel weird to me to use it in modern game, particularly one that has tons of new weapons.

News Comments > Pachter Clarifies Crunch Comments
2. Re: Pachter Clarifies Crunch Comments Aug 2, 2011, 23:51 Teddy

I love how that's "taken out of context" for him. Calling them whiny trolls can't really be taken out of context, bubba. "Really, I meant it in a loving way!"

That said, legally, he's right about some basic things. If there's no stipulation in their contracts that says they're entitled to overtime pay when working past X hours, they don't get it. If they signed a contract that said they will work up to 100 hours a week, then unless there's a stipulation that expresses how often they'll be expected to do that, they have no legal right to complain about it being every week.

So either these developers need someone to read over their contracts for them, or they need to start refusing absurd contracts themselves. Hard to do when that's all you're offered, but if companies start losing competent developers because they try to force them into insane contracts, then it will change in time.

Unions would be nice (I can't believe I just said that) and I hope they can get a decent one set up for the development houses in major companies. Despite the fancy accounting that consistently shows them running at a loss, these companies are very profitable and they can certainly afford to stretch development schedules to avoid excessive crunch, or even any crunch at all.

15. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 2, 2011, 23:42 Teddy

eunichron wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 23:28:
Rattlehead wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 20:14:
Been playing the alpha, great fun and runs on my laptop smoothly.
The alpha was supposedly only running DX9 and locked at low settings (or at least settings lower than maximum). My only complaint with the graphics was that they were kind of bland, hopefully that changes with DX11 and higher settings, but even at DX9 it looked pretty damn good.

Considering the alpha did not run on winXP, I doubt it was running dx9. 10 is more likely, but yes the graphics were significantly less than what the beta or retail product will have. That said, it still matched anything out there so far, graphically while locked on low. That's impressive in it's own right.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses
14. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Pre-Purchase Discounts & Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 19:37 Teddy

Overon wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 18:01:
Kosumo wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 17:36:
Overon wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 17:33:
Pre-ordering games is for rubes unless you played the beta and/or you know you are going to buy it anyway so you might as well get the extras.
Damnit Kosumo it is not irrational to preorder a game that you are going to buy anyway. So rather than paying full price, you might as well get a discount and extras that YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN OTHERWISE IF YOU DID NOT PREORDER.

Entirely depends on when you pre-order as well. I have no issue pre-ordering a game that's a week out from release, but when some companies put theirs up 3+ months ahead of time (I'm looking at you Battlefield 3) it's just absurd.

Why would I give anyone money for something they won't give me for 3 months? How do you think a game company would respond if you proposed the reverse? Give me the game you're making and I'll pay you in 3 month's time, EA. What? No?

If you're pre-ordering for the price and the bonus items, it'll be there a week from release. Hell, it'll be there 2 days from release. I generally leave the money in my account and make interest on it while I'm waiting.

THe difference in this case is in the "Access to the final phase of the closed beta" bit. For me, that's worth enough to drop the money this early on a game I know I'll enjoy.

35. Re: Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 15:38 Teddy

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 14:08:
Bitch at devs for balance issues, not players. People use LMGs a lot because they're effective in a wide variety of situations. That's a weapon balance problem, not a player base issue.

More importantly, people use LMG's because THEY'RE THE ONLY WEAPONS MEDICS CAN USE in the game.

bhcompy wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 12:10:
Teddy wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 11:33:
bhcompy wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 11:06:
LMG whores are the worst whores. Seriously, die in a newb fire

Who is this retard? Because I chose to play a medic to try and help my team that makes me a "newb"?

Perhaps you misunderstand the concept of Battlefield games.

You complained that it took too many hits from a weapon with a 100-200 shot clip with no cool down and a tactical scope to improve accuracy. I'd say that's being a newb. The biggest reason BF infantry has always sucked ass is because of LMG whoring

Yes, you REALLY don't understand the concept of Battlefield games then. That's pretty freaking clear. First off, I never mentioned a tactical scope, because I didn't have one. It was the first time I set foot in the game. Second, any game where it requires 10+ direct hits from a 5.56mm chambered weapon is absolutely absurd. Third, as mentioned above... IT'S THE ONLY WEAPON A MEDIC CAN HAVE at the start.

So from your personal expertise, medics should be disallowed or simply not used? And of course you'll also be the same guy who declares that recons are noobs as well. Then there's those damn RPG whoring engineers. I guess people should ONLY ever be allowed to play the game using the class that you prefer?

Can you honeswtly not see how absolutely fucking retarded that argument is? Medics exist to heal teammates, that's what I like doing most of the time. You don't like what gun the medics get assigned? Too fucking bad for you, go cry in a corner.

If you want a game where people don't have roles to play, then CoD is your game. Otherwise, change your diapers and accept that a functional team needs some of every class.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2011, 15:50.

30. Re: Battlefield 3 U.S. Preorder Bonuses Aug 2, 2011, 11:48 Teddy

InBlack wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 09:48:
I put a lot of hours into shooters in my life (probably more than any other game) ever since Doom2 so I resent that Mr. Batman.

Have you played CoD4:MW? Until you get some of the goodies that are only available after a good deal of playing (especially the scopes) YOU WILL get your ass handed right back to you regardless of skill.

CoD's (MW anyways) unlock system and BF's unlock systems are two very different things though. MW's requires you to get a certain number of headshots if I recall correctly, and then subsequent scopes you have to do the same only using one of the scopes you've already unlocked to do the same thing...

BC2's was purely based on points. Score points, however you choose to do it. Heal people, revive people, deliver ammo, capture objectives, stand around and shoot people... whatever it is that you enjoy doing that gives you points will eventually unlock every scope for your chosen class.

It's changed a little bit in BF3, but not in any way that's going to have people tearing their hair out. Just play the game the way you enjoy playing and you'll get them sooner or later.

If there are people out there that can't enjoy a game until they have the "most powerful" weapon and the highest level scope and every other whatnot unlocked, then I question why you're even playing the game. Everything is there for you right from the start to enjoy, the objective based nature of the game, the team work, huge maps, a wide choice of weapons and vehicles that let you play the game in whatever manner you feel like.

The game is about the process. Doing that which helps your team win. Not about the little rewards that pop up along the way.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo