Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 19:37 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 18:58:
How about EA sells the game on steam for 30% more then? Seems fair right? I'd love to see EA offer games on steam at reg. price plus 30% steam fee.

Most likely they are contractually obligated not to undercut anyone else, excepting for timed sales. Same reason DD games are not cheaper than boxed copies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 18:50 Teddy

nutshell42 wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 18:40:
Because in their opinion there's no reason Valve should get 30% of revenues for doing nothing. I stand by my vacuum cleaner example. I can do one with cars if you prefer.

Right. For doing nothing, except giving their game exposure to the largest market of PC gamers in existence. How dare they.

And those Brick and Mortar stores advertising the game for EA and giving it shelf space, how dare they ask for a profit for doing 'nothing' as well, right?

News Comments > Op Ed
32. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 18:45 Teddy

nutshell42 wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 14:59:
"We will only sell your vacuum cleaners if the customer has no option to buy bags except from us."

Pretty pathetic analogy. As a matter of fact, that's EXACTLY what EA is trying to do, not Valve.

Valve simply requires that they be permitted to sell DLC on Steam AS WELL AS any other places it's sold. Not that they are the ONLY distributor.

EA is trying to cut out everyone else and be the only distributor.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Delayed
19. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Delayed Aug 9, 2011, 09:01 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 08:22:
Epic's not getting any money from this either right? cause of the create something unreal contest?

So whether or not Epic, who put hundreds of manhours into the technology powering this game, gets a small portion of your money actually impacts, even to a small degree, whether you buy this or not?

Hundreds? For a game engine? Tens of thousands or Hundreds of Thousands would be closer.

News Comments > 1UP Label Closing
9. Re: 1UP Label Closing Aug 8, 2011, 15:10 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 14:08:
BUT I AM A TOTAL PARANOID FOR SAYING THIS RIGHT GUYS?!?!?!

For saying what? That indie companies have a better funded, more competent publisher available to them than 1up who is able to provide more marketing within a larger market and thus more sales and more profit?

That an indie publisher that COULDN'T promote and sell products better than Steam went out of business?

No, not at all. You're a total paranoid for somehow deciding that's a bad thing. Sorry to the people that worked for 1up, but the indie developers are all better off.

News Comments > No Battlefield 3 on Steam
145. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 02:21 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 01:51:
Valve sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Blizzard sell exclusively on their store and tie all copies to their service. Why can't EA do the same? The answer is: because you guys like to jump EA's shit.

I think you need to take off those rose coloured glasses and look at history a little more clearly.

When Steam began, there was enormous outcry about the requirement. Why shouldn't EA recieve the same? The answer is: because you like to jump Valve's shit and try to make it out like they didn't suffer the same reaction EA is now.

As for Blizzard, outside of WoW (which as an MMO is pretty much required to be restricted to it's own service for payment), Starcraft 2 is the only game they've sold since Digital Distribution became the norm and it did not sell well digitally. Not well at all. Compared to most games these days that sell 50%+ digitally, almost 75% of Starcraft 2 purchases were through retail.

So either people were deadset on having a boxed copy, or they opted not to use Blizzard's digital service, much as many people are saying they will not use Origin.

Whether you've looked for it or not, there are plenty of people petitioning Blizzard to put their games on Steam and plenty of those who say the only way they will buy those games is if they are on Steam.

You will of course look at that as a negative and sneer at Valve and Steam and it's supporters, but the reality is, those are people who are rebelling against the exclusivity of Blizzard's DD system and are asking that the games be released on the sales platform they prefer to use. Precisely the same thing you claim isn't happening to Blizzard.

Take the glasses off and look again.

143. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 01:33 Teddy

spindoctor wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 23:22:
Teddy wrote on Aug 7, 2011, 17:06:

They sent out emails a couple days back that granted anyone who participated in the Alpha a free game if they pre-purchased through Origin.

Only for North Americans I believe.

Certainly possible, and while it may not help people elsewhere, it's still a nice deal for those it does affect. Also worth considering that there may be alternate deals in the works for other parts of the world. If this particular offer was only for NA, then that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be others.

142. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 8, 2011, 01:30 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 00:10:
It's possible that Codemaster's has a deal with Steam for a percentage of those DLC sales.

EA probably didn't want to play ball so their games selling DLC not available on Steam get pulled.

Another possibility is that the non-steam DLC might just be timed exclusive and will eventually show up on Steam, as was mentioned by someone else, other games with GFWL DLC recently had their DLCs show up on Steam.

No one outside the two parties involved know the details either way.

137. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 7, 2011, 17:06 Teddy

As much as I dislike this whole situation, I have to admit, EA has won some points from me.

They sent out emails a couple days back that granted anyone who participated in the Alpha a free game if they pre-purchased through Origin.

Granted I already owned the 3 games they offered, but it was nonetheless an unneccessary act of goodwill and the same sort of thing they will need to do to get Origin going. That being, offering people who do business with them more value rather than simply a different (and less convenient) place to spend money.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Aug 7, 2011, 16:32 Teddy

If you haven't looked yet, check out the user reviews for Street Cleaning Simulator.  

News Comments > Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM
47. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 20:34 Teddy

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:29:
You cannot trademark a common name like Scroll that has a ton of preuse in the genre, Bethesda will lose.

You realize it's Notch who's trying to Trademark "Scrolls" right? So how can Bethesda 'lose' based on that argument?

News Comments > On Battlefield 3 Unlocks
29. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:32 Teddy

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:00:
Also seeing that "tons of vehicle unlocks" as me running up to a tank and being told I can't use it until I log 300 hours on the ATV.

Negative. The Vehicle unlocks are customizations of the vehicles themselves. Being able to swap out certain weapon systems for others and whatnot.

Regardless of how much you've played, and how much you've accomplished, you can get into any vehicle and use the weapons it comes with by default.

45. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 20:26 Teddy

yuastnav wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:11:
Teddy wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:06:
DDI wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 19:46:
Define indie for me then. Is self publishing the only requirement to be 'indie'?

He can change the name of the goddamn game now. Let's see game with the name Scrolls in it, that is fantasy based. It sounds like some knock off style infringement of Elder Scrolls.

Considering scrolls would only be used in a historical or fantasy setting, that's a pretty big stretch to assume that any use of 'scrolls' is a knock off of Elder Scrolls.

This game looks nothing like, nor sounds anything like The Elder Scrolls.

Good sir, I must ask you to refrain from using reason.
We are dealing with a legal matter here and your logic has no place in it!

Point conceeded. Apologies all around.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just picked up two SCROLLS of intellect in World of Warcraft. I'm off to inform Bethesda so they can sue Blizzard over this clearly unauthorized use of the word. People will clearly mistake World of Warcraft for an Elder Scrolls MMO adaption considering they're both fantasy based and have Scrolls involved.

The law must make things right.

28. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:22 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:35:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:00:
Oh goodie. Because I was COMPLETELY THRILLED in BC2 when I started up as a Medic and discovered I WASN'T ALLOWED TO HEAL ANYBODY. Oh, must be something goofy, let me try an engineer so I can repair this tank....wait, where's the repair tool?

Yeah, SUUUUUPER excited about this. Because god knows I love being shot in the head by people who've unlocked some semi-auto sniper rifle while I'm trying desperately to get 2 or 3 kills in during an entire round, so MAYBE I get a HAIR closer to getting a gun that actually works.

Also seeing that "tons of vehicle unlocks" as me running up to a tank and being told I can't use it until I log 300 hours on the ATV.

It took all of maybe an hour or 2 of play to unlock both of those....sheesh.

True, but the hour for the medkit was still idiotic. I have to agree with anyone complaining about that one. What point is there in calling it a medic class if it's not allowed to heal anyone until they've killed enough people to do it?

Support classes should have their basic support options available right from the get go, so that they can... you know... support their team and earn points that way rather than force them into an assault role for the first level or two of gameplay and only then allow them to do what they're meant to do.

It was a bad call by Dice all around.

27. Re: On Battlefield 3 Unlocks Aug 6, 2011, 20:18 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:37:
Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 12:59:
Ugh. I know unlocks are the "in" thing, but, honestly, if your game is good, I'm going to play it to enjoy playing it. You don't need to "tempt" me into playing it with the carrot at the end of the stick.

Unfortunately there is a portion of the game that has to appeal to the CoD sheep - that is the thing now....so that is why it is there. Otherwise, the rest of us real gamers were looking for a great BF game that hearkens to great ol gameplay and FUN!

Unlocks existed in Battlefield 2 which predates Modern Warfare and the precedent for unlocks within CoD. They created the precedent in FPS games, not CoD. It's pretty much revisionist history to blame this on Infinity Ward.

It's funny to me that people honestly don't remember. THe "Great ol gameplay and FUN" included unlocks in BF2 (and all of it's expansions), BF2142, Bad Company, Bad Company 2 and now Battlefield 3.

42. Re: Bethesda Sues Mojang Over Scrolls TM Aug 6, 2011, 20:06 Teddy

DDI wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 19:46:
Define indie for me then. Is self publishing the only requirement to be 'indie'?

He can change the name of the goddamn game now. Let's see game with the name Scrolls in it, that is fantasy based. It sounds like some knock off style infringement of Elder Scrolls.

Considering scrolls would only be used in a historical or fantasy setting, that's a pretty big stretch to assume that any use of 'scrolls' is a knock off of Elder Scrolls.

This game looks nothing like, nor sounds anything like The Elder Scrolls.

As for the other... It's hard to believe that we actually have to define this for you, but being independant means your company is not owned by another parent company, nor stockholders, nor are your projects funded by another company in such a way that it makes you beholden to them.

65. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 18:50 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 18:14:
Dirwulf wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 16:23:
I thought about that too. I'm replaying ME2 right now. You can't buy the DLC "in game". When you click to download it, it opens a web browser and you buy the DLC there. Then download the DLC from the web site and install it. It automatically installs it to your Steam version. This is not the same as IN GAME DLC. That's my take on it anyway. IN GAME DLC means to me, that you pay for the DLC in the game, and it downloads in the game. Kind of like when an MMO updates.

That's how Dragon Age: Origins does it, but more importantly, how Dragon Age 2 does it, as well. Why then is DA2 gone but DA:O is still on Steam? If you believe EA, it's because this Valve policy only took effect recently. However, Dragon Age 2 already had numerous DLC available for purchase in the manner you described before it was removed. It was removed on the day the Legacy DLC was released, what makes that DLC so special?

It's new. Guarantee that if another DA:O DLC were to be released in the same manner as the Legacy one from DA2, DA:O would be dumped as well.

Presumably pre-existing DLC was accounted for in some way. (The Ultimate edition for DA:O is for sale on steam including all DLC, and no future DLC is planned for it, as an example.)

22. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 14:19 Teddy

Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 14:08:
I'm pretty sure Amazon is on more than sufficient financial footing.

Sufficient overall, sure. Sufficient in their DD section? I doubt it. I'd bet their DD sales aren't even 1/10th of what Steam puts out. If they lost EA or Activision products in their DD section, I'd put money down that Amazon would simply close the division as a waste of time.

12. Re: No Battlefield 3 on Steam Aug 6, 2011, 13:50 Teddy

Bhruic wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:01:
If this is such a big deal with Valve, why don't any of the other digital distributers seem to have the same problem with EA?

Logic has a very simple answer to that. No other digital distributor is financially secure enough to deal with the consequences of losing major EA franchises.

If Valve is really planning on holding their ground on this matter, then they're either hoping that EA will see clear results in terms of loss of sales from not having the game on Steam, or they're betting that they'll make more money from the companies that do cooperate than they'll lose from EA walking away.

It's a matter of creating a precedent. If EA sells their DLC without giving Steam a cut and there are no reprecussions, then other companies will follow suit and Steam could stand to lose a lot more revenue than just what they make off of EA products.

Think for a moment of Activision. CoD map packs are routinely at the top of the Steam sales charts for weeks. If those went to in-game sales that give Steam no cut... then how much of a loss is that alone, not even thinking about the masses of other DLC ridden games out there?

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. Re: Evening Previews Aug 5, 2011, 21:01 Teddy

Wasn't someone around here speculating that the zombie phase was just about over and it was time to move on to something else to overpopulate the market with like, robots?  

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo