Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced
58. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 13, 2011, 00:49 Teddy

nin wrote on Aug 13, 2011, 00:20:
And, almost every game had a couple of kids that kept insulting each other...a typical scenario was:

And this is exactly why some of us cheer the addition of bots.

QFT.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Frozen Synapse AI Not Cheating
3. Re: Frozen Synapse AI Not Cheating Aug 12, 2011, 23:51 Teddy

jimnms wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:38:
People think the AI cheat? I find it too easy to beat. I've tried turning up the AI, but it causes the game to crash. I wish they would fix that.

Presumably it's the newer players that have just picked up the demo and are getting demolished by the AI in the skirmish generator. Far be it from them to admit they're new to the game and not particularly good at it. It must be that the computer's cheating.

55. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 23:43 Teddy

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 23:17:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:36:
Not interseted.....

for release early next year on Windows and OS X (via Steam), PlayStation Network, and Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Yeah, people seem to have glossed over this salient fact, Consoles have jumped into the mix.

I wonder how horrible the final product will be because of it. Not that I haven't already played several lifetime's worth of CS and CS:S, but still...

*EDIT* read the pro-CS player's review, apparently they did not instantly drop dead from playing it, so it can't be that bad.

Will be interesting to see how it goes. The console port of CS was abysmal from what I heard of it. That said, none of the game's mechanics really stand out as something that couldn't work on console.

You really only have 2 weapons, your pistol and your rifle. Planting and defusing bombs are a single button press (outside of the unecessary mechanic of pulling out the bomb as a weapon).

Consider the round based nature of it is identical to what we already see in any other multiplayer shooter that already has a console version. Hell, Counter-strike is a pretty damned simple game concept to begin with, it's not like it's even possible to 'dumb it down' any further.

I'd be disappointed if they went with the 'standard' these days and did the one button insta-grenade throw. That never fails to irritate me when I see it in a game. Tossing a grenade with my left hand while my right hand is still holding my gun steady (and even firing it). It's absurd. No soldier in his right mind, barring the extremely ambidextrous would DARE through a grenade with their offhand for fear of a misplaced throw, not to mention how do you get the damn pin out? Anyone who suggests using "teeth" deserves to be handed a replica grenade and be allowed to break their teeth trying. (/rant)

My only questions now are, how many unlocks will there be (and there will be unlocks) and whether or not this is going to be a completely paid product or the same sort of F2P monstrosity they've turned TF2 into.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2011, 23:48.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse AI Not Cheating
1. Re: Frozen Synapse AI Not Cheating Aug 12, 2011, 23:34 Teddy

Can't say it ever crossed my mind that the AI was cheating. It makes some obvious mistakes from time to time that make it pretty plain that it's not.  

53. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 23:02 Teddy

PHJF wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:38:
Oh, and M4 >>>>>>>>>>> AK

Agreed and proven time and again if you ever watch tourney play. Even the T's will pick up M4's every chance they get because the spray pattern is far more predictable.

AK's are fine for pub use and fantasitc first shot accuracy, but any round fired beyond the first is always a crapshoot with it in terms of where it's going to land. In a match, though, I'd dump the AK in a heartbeat given the chance to replace it with an M4 + suppressor.

52. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 22:56 Teddy

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 22:05:
True dat, though a lot of the so called hackers are really just that good at the game.

That's what they all claim, anyway. When I was an admin, way before VAC, we used to use the hack that made walls see-through to watch people we suspected of hacking. The number of people we caught who "were just awesome and not hacking" but were actually hacking was ridiculous. You could see aimbot keep someone's crosshairs on a guy through a solid wall, and watch people with the same hack we used watch other people through walls.

Such is, of course always the problem with hacking. Everyone who hacks will say "No, I'm just that good." until proven otherwise, upon which they'll say it's a false positive, and the people who literally are just that good will rarely be believed.

I was never awesome at the game, but I had a friend that was one of those ridiculous savants that everyone accused of cheating. I knew otherwise of course because I'd seen him run absurd scores like 50-2 on my own machine which I knew full well had no hacks on it.

So yes, chances are the people who claim they aren't hacking and are just awesome, probably are hacking, but then some really are that good and they'll never get the credit they deserve. At least outside of observed tournament play. :/

Such is life in a multiplayer shooter.

41. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 20:41 Teddy

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 20:28:
Hump wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:31:
anyone remember the underrated goodness of Global Ops?

Global Ops was WAY ahead of it's time. They did such a great job with objectives, VEHICLES, and hostages. The layout of the maps was pretty decent. The most fun was shooting out the tires of a Hummer as it was speeding away with your goods.

I think I bought 4-5 copies just to play at LAN parties, as it could be picked up for 5 bucks soon after release.

??

I think you're confusing it with another game, most likely Joint Ops. There were no drivable vehicles in Global Ops, nor vehicles you could hope to damage for that matter. The spawn vehicles auto-gunned you down if you were in visible range.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
190. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 12, 2011, 19:13 Teddy

Pankin wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 12:19:
Let me tell you how businessmen/women interpret that particular sentence: "what the fuck are these kids talking about? What other goal could we have?"

While I'm sure it's comforting as a businessman to say "Oh, it's always been this way." There was a time, very long ago, but a time no less when creating a quality product was an important aspect of business. More important in fact than the "How much MORE can we make off of this?" sentiment.

'Make something good and then try to sell it for a profit' was once upon a time more important than 'make something cheap and sell it for as much as we can get'.

That time ended around the time "Busineness people" started to exist. Those who didn't bother actually creating anything themselves and thus had nothing invested in the actual quality of the product. All they were required to do was sell the product and acquire ever cheaper supplies and labor to make them, regardless of the negative impact on the product itself

So long as it still sells, then who cares how cheaply it's made? Somehow that sentiment has become something defensible to these people. You talk about naivety, I talk about honor and pride. Two things very much lacking in "business people" today.

33. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Announced Aug 12, 2011, 18:50 Teddy

Hump wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 17:31:
anyone remember the underrated goodness of Global Ops?

Who wha? What name did you go by back then? It had such a tiny community, it's hard to think that there's anyone who played that game that I didn't play against.

The game had such fantastic ideas, but the lack of polish and shoddy netcode just demolished any chance it had of being truly successful.

One of, if not the first FPS games with multi-section maps. Sri-lanka stands out to this day as one of the best I've ever seen. Then there's the bomb disarming mechanics that made bomb maps so much more intense. No waiting on a circular progress bar, if you didn't have time to sort out what wire it was, just cut one and hope for the best.

Vehicle drop offs for spawn points, being carried in by helicopter or APC rather than just appearing out of thin air.

Thermal vision + bullet penetration on Antarctica made it a damn near impossible map to "win" traditionally, but man it was a whole different experience than anything else before it.

I miss that game...

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin
106. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 15:27 Teddy

Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 05:03:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 19:53:
So, you could open the game, which brings up the main menu, where you open the browser, click a server, and have the game start.

Or, you could open the game, which brings up a web page, where you open the browser, click a server, and have the game start.

I don't see the problem yet.

How many pieces of software do you have running in instance 1? How many in instance 2? (Just to save you the trouble, the answers are 1 and 3, respectively.)

Software bloat is a problem, period. It's not a deal breaker for some, it will be for others.

105. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 12, 2011, 15:21 Teddy

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 09:07:
To each their own suggests the people have their own types of game play that they enjoy.

Exactly, which means that you're also stating that one's opinion of a game cannot be 'wrong'. And yet you say it is in the same line. You can disagree with someone's preference, but that hardly makes them wrong, nor you right.

79. Re: Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin Aug 11, 2011, 20:05 Teddy

Marvin T. Martian wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 19:54:
Krovven wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:24:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 17:16:
The fanboys were pretty strong with this one

Because the GAME, is excellent, so I hear. So once you get past all the bullshit business practices outside the game...which for a lot of people, that's all they care about.

Wrong--far from excellent. But each to their own.

To each their own and wrong in the same breath?

You're right it is far from excellent. It's phenomenal. Best multiplayer shooter ever created to date, and you can tell that from one map.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming
183. Re: Quoteworthy - id's Tim Willits on Always-on Gaming Aug 11, 2011, 20:00 Teddy

I'm always connected. Our fans are always connected.

Good to know that if you're not always connected to the internet, you're not allowed to be a fan of iD.

News Comments > Uncut Red Orchestra 2 for Australia
3. Re: Uncut Red Orchestra 2 for Australia Aug 11, 2011, 16:08 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:45:
The deluxe just gives you early access to some weapon unlocks and the beta - which I don't think has even started for deluxe purchasers.

It has not. Still no official word on when, though the devs did say it's still on schedule despite the delay of the game itself. Expectation is within the next week or two.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale
7. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:41 Teddy

nin wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:17:
I suck at this game, but I don't regret buying it and supporting them.

It's fun, but I do tend to get my ass handed to me.

And yes, same here.

This is one of those games that has a carefully hidden learning cliff. It's easy enough to pick up and move your guys around and figure out what to do. But when you play against some decently experienced opponents, you realize just how bad you really are.

Thus far, I'm lucky if I win 1 out of 5 games I play.

News Comments > Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale
6. Re: Frozen Synapse Demo and Sale Aug 11, 2011, 15:35 Teddy

MattyC wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:20:
nin wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 15:17:
I suck at this game, but I don't regret buying it and supporting them.

It's fun, but I do tend to get my ass handed to me.

How popular is the multiplayer? I won't need to spend twenty minutes trying to get a game going or anything will I?

From what I experienced, in a 20 minute period, I got around 5 invites to games.

The thing people don't often get in this is that it's not quite the same as other games where you sit down and bang through one match beginning to end. You CAN play it that way, of course, but it's generally acceptable to have multiple games on the go at once, where you recieve notice that a turn has been completed by player X in game Y, and then watch what happened and debate your next move.

So while a dedicated match with nothing else going on can end in 5-ish minutes, you can have a host of games running that span hours/days/weeks as people get around to sending in turns. Just depends on the mentality of the two players involved, whether they only want quick games, or whether they're the sort to play many games and let them go on as long as they need to finish.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Re: Morning Screenshots Aug 11, 2011, 15:27 Teddy

http://bf3blog.com/2011/08/origin-required-to-play-battlefield-3/

Who didn't see that one coming?

News Comments > THQ Closes Studios, Drops MX vs. ATV For Now
7. Re: THQ Closes Studios, Drops MX vs. ATV For Now Aug 9, 2011, 23:52 Teddy

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 23:18:
Everyone missed the HUGE and IMPORTANT tidbit of info in that announcement

Volition, Inc.

Ugh hello gamers, DESCENT, FREESPACE, NEW UNANOUNCED IP IN DEVELOPMENT... WAKE UP

I THINK WE JUST LEARNED WHAT WE MIGHT BE GETTING

OR UGH.. RED FACTION

What? I think you're out to lunch.

It clearly says Volition is working on Saint's Row 3, and that THQ Montreal is working on a new IP. Descent Freespace is not a new IP.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 21:40 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 20:12:
I can't really think think of anything other than Skyrim that really competes on the same scale as Battlefield, though I am only a PC gamer and can't speak about console releases.

Modern Warfare 3? People here may all hold their nose at the mention of it, but anyone who thinks that it's not going to massively outsell Battlefield 3, even if you only take PC sales into account is delusional.

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Aug 9, 2011, 21:34 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 21:23:
Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 20:42:
Some consumers look at Valve differently because of their years of positive actions to support the PC gaming industry on several different fronts.

Like account-based DRM and in-game microtransactions?

Like free games, extensive mod/mapping support in every game they create, a very successful effort to support Indie titles, and regular mega-sales that no one else seems capable of managing.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo