Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > On Hard Reset DRM
17. Re: On Hard Reset DRM Sep 7, 2011, 20:33 Teddy

Sempai wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 19:51:
Jesus Christ the constant whining..

Any person with a lick of common sense knows what the guy meant when he made the statement about DRM.
It's a pretty safe bet the reason these guys are using Valve's service is to get it in front of eyeballs, that's it.

But by all means, continue.

Repeated for effect, folks.

They want to make money. They NEED to make money if they're going to put out any further games. That's why they're on steam primarily and not GoG or Gamersgate. It's pretty simple and straight-forward.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat)
17. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 3, 2011, 00:15 Teddy

TurdFergasun wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 21:07:
fox news seems to have the recipe for news coverage that most americans want, or seem to be capable of receiving. it's popular, but i wouldn't call it world class. your logic is junk, and based on marketing principles that are poisonous to begin with.

My logic is junk? What logic did you use, pray tell? I see none whatsoever.

That you are trying to claim "world-class" only applies to things YOU like is pretty freaking pathetic. THAT is a poisonous, self-centered principle that you should be looking at.

Why don't you try and show some actual logic that suggests otherwise, instead of saying "NUH UH!" and assuming that's enough. In entertainment, popularity IS the defining metric. You want more than that? Fine, take a look at the critic scores for the CoD games in metacritic.

What's that? Now you claim it's a conspiracy and all those critics are paid off? No, you don't even need to bother posting it, I already know what drivel you'll spew to try and back up your lack of logic.

The critics like it, the gamers like it. You don't. You are the minority. Your opinion that something isn't good enough to be called world-class is thusly irrelevant.

And to say it one more time before you go into meltdown, I don't like Call of Duty either. That doesn't make my opinion (OR YOURS) more important or more worthwhile than that of the tens of millions that buy the games every year.

Some people's children, I swear... the best selling franchise OF ALL TIME, and you have the gall to suggest it's not a "world class franchise" simply because you don't like it. Abso-fucking-lutely retarded. You're probably one of those people that thinks only intellectuals or rich people should be able to vote too, because everyone else's opinion is somehow less important than yours.

Get over yourself. The majority defines what is good and what is not when it comes to art and entertainment. Not me. Not you.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access
14. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access Sep 2, 2011, 23:37 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 17:25:
they are also now selling a separate upgrade to the Deluxe Edition for $9.99 USD.

MONSTERS! YOU'RE MONSTERS!

Can anyone talk a bit about how the game works with a controller plugged in? IE can you navigate the interface and play the game?

That's a no, 100%. Didn't even recognize a controller when I ran it with one plugged in and neither are there any options to swap to one.

13. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access Sep 2, 2011, 23:33 Teddy

ASeven wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 23:19:
(It's not a RC yet)

Don't kid yourself. We're 10 days away from the release date. There are boxed copies of the game that will be sold at B&M stores. Those discs have already been finalized, printed and are in the process of being shipped.

They may have a zero day patch, but this is the game you're getting on the release day.

13. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 20:37 Teddy

bhcompy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 19:50:
Are you dense? Was the iPhone around in 1987?

Until FF13, every game in the series was exclusive to a particular console for extended periods of time. Some were eventually remade or otherwise rereleased much later on other systems.

Of course there are tons of other titles as well. Perhaps you'd like another first party title: Anything Mario

You're trying to hide the fact that you claimed Final Fantasy was limited to one platform, by dancing around your error? Really? "Exclusive to a particular console for a period of time", is not the same thing as them being limited to one platform.

So despite your rant and pathetic attempt to hide your blatant error, what exactly do you have against my comment? Is Uncharted restricted to one platform or not? It's exclusive and will remain exclusive. Not only that, it's exclusive to the lowest selling platform of it's generation. So fans of that sort of game that don't have PS3's would likely be happy to see something similar show up on the 360.

Beyond that, what exactly is the point of pointing out other large franchises? Yes, Mario is restricted to one platform (well, one vendor, multiple platforms of theirs). Yes it's successful and it is also a world-class franchise. It still doesn't compare with CoD in terms of sales or popularity, even having been around for decades longer.

10. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access Sep 2, 2011, 20:21 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 17:25:
they are also now selling a separate upgrade to the Deluxe Edition for $9.99 USD.

MONSTERS! YOU'RE MONSTERS!

Can anyone talk a bit about how the game works with a controller plugged in? IE can you navigate the interface and play the game?

Don't have time at this exact moment, but I'll give it a shot later tonight and let you know. I honestly have no idea if there's support for them or not.

5. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Adds Maps and Deluxe Upgrade for Access Sep 2, 2011, 17:14 Teddy

Great game when it works. Server browser still occasionally crashes on me, though they did fix the massive lag it used to cause. Also tiring getting booted from servers with almost every single map change.

That said, when I get the chance to play for a while interruption free, it's some seriously intense gameplay. Some traditionalists rage against it, but I love the Countdown mode. One life game modes just make people play an entirely different way than they do in respawning game modes. The slower pace you have to take, the caution that needs to be shown at every corner... Even if you only see a handful of enemies per round, the high cost of dying accompanied by the everpresent risk of death in this series just makes every moment that much more intense.

Still some niggling issues. Bandaging is an absurdly fast action and the cover system still feels clunky and awkward but there's enough good to outshine most of that.

Contrary to Aseven. I enjoyed the Battlefield alpha much more. WAY more polish and less issues that kept me from playing in the alpha of BF3, compared to the final beta of RO2.

11. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 16:41 Teddy

bhcompy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 16:34:
Teddy wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:43:
Ludomancer wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:12:
And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise.

'Cause, you know, Uncharted is practically unheard of!

No, but it is limited to one platform.

So was Final Fantasy.

Is that a joke?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy

The franchise spans 13 platforms.

10. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 16:39 Teddy

Jow wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 16:30:
Financially I don't think there's any dispute. Gameplay-wise, I think there's a legitimate argument of the "cookie-cutter banality" variety. That they had the panache to create a cash cow they are now milking the shit out of does not automatically make it world-class.

Again, that's your personal preference for/against the game that's colouring your opinion on whether or not it deserves to be called world class.

Gameplay-waise, it's what most people want, or else they wouldn't keep buying it. The fact that more FPS gamers buy and play CoD games over any other FPS game in existence proves pretty clearly that it is world-class. It's not to my taste, nor likely to yours from your commentary on it, but that doesn't devalue the importance, influence or quality of the franchise.

News Comments > Call of Duty XP Livestream, MW3 Multiplayer Debut Trailer
7. Re: Call of Duty XP Livestream, MW3 Multiplayer Debut Trailer Sep 2, 2011, 16:13 Teddy

Dear god. They just try so hard to make it look epic, and it just falls flat in my eyes. These people have no concept of juxtaposition, or the ability to create tension. Anticipation and payoff, folks. Learn it.

Adding more and more explosions and ceaseless gunfire DOES NOT MAKE IT MORE EXCITING. If there's no lull in the action to feed the anticipation of what's just about to happen, then the payoff when the 'big' action does happen is cheap, hollow and anti-climactic.

5. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 15:46 Teddy

Jow wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 13:18:
"world-class franchise"... god ilove the english language.

Your own personal preference aside, are you honestly trying to suggest that the best selling game franchise of all time is not a "world-class franchise"?

I hate marketing speak as much as anyone, but if any franchise has the right to name itself as such, it's Call of Duty.

4. Re: The Fate of Sledgehammer's CoD Game Explained (Somewhat) Sep 2, 2011, 15:43 Teddy

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:12:
And there are a lot of fans out there who enjoy games like uncharted, right? So you can imagine that genre meets a world-class franchise.

'Cause, you know, Uncharted is practically unheard of!

No, but it is limited to one platform.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Signups (For Real)
3. Re: The Secret World Beta Signups (For Real) Aug 29, 2011, 21:04 Teddy

mlw wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 19:35:
I WAS going to apply for beta. I am not creating a lame Facebook account just to play in a beta. If they ever drop this ridiculous requirement for beta, I will then try. I said the same on their forums.

Same. Looks interesting enough, but now way in hell am I going to create a facebook account for it.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message
32. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Coded Message Aug 29, 2011, 21:01 Teddy

^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 20:58:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 20:45:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Aug 29, 2011, 19:41:
It's called fun, guys. Some people enjoy the out-of game games. May want to try it.

Sheesh.

^D^
Yeah I mean how dare some of us have a care about our personal privacy and shun shit like fecalbook...I mean facebook.

And....what the heck does facebook have to do with solving a code in the game's splash screen?

^D^

Nothing. He's ranting about the Secret World beta that requires a facebook account, as though he's somehow entitled to access to that beta and they're intentionally witholding it.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks
34. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Using Steamworks Aug 29, 2011, 21:00 Teddy

They're certainly working to ammend a bunch of the major issues they created in the previous titles. That said, I'm not paying $60 for the equivalent of an expansion pack.

When they actually get off their asses and create a new engine, or at least a new version of the same engine, then maybe I'll take a look. So long as it's just different content, it's not worth the price of a full game.

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade-Ins
35. Re: Valve on Steam Trade-Ins Aug 27, 2011, 16:54 Teddy

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 27, 2011, 12:10:
Isn't he talking about the same thing you guys lament Gamestop for over and over? Being greedy in looking to remove the publisher/Developer from revenue by offering used game sales?

I don't see them saying anywhere that they plan on selling "used" games to anyone. How could a digital copy ever be considered "used" in the first place?

What I see is them talking about the possibility of trading in old games on your steam list. So whether or not it's the same thing as Gamestop is not even remotely clear. Not until they suggest at any point that they mean to try and make a profit from reselling the license to one of those games.

The way I conceive it, it's more a simple concept of removing a game from your steam library for a discount on another game. As a legacy concept, it makes sense, benefitting the user with a discount and the company by not running into enormous game lists for all their users simply because they retain access to every game they ever bought on the system over many many years.

The comment he made was vague and far from an actual product or concept that they're actively implementing. If they do decide to look into it further, then we'll know.

Swear Valve and Blizzard could sell babies on the black market and still be excused for it from gamers.

And I swear, Valve or Blizzard could make a completely innocuous comment when asked a question in an interview and you'd try to put them on trial for it.

You're jumping to conclusions with zero information to back them up.

News Comments > No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3
16. Re: No Home Dedicated Servers for Battlefield 3 Aug 24, 2011, 19:04 Teddy

Dades wrote on Aug 24, 2011, 18:54:

They didn't seriously say the PC version is going to be locked at 30FPS did they? That would be just beyond stupid.

No, they didn't say that and having played the alpha (at higher than 30fps) I can confirm it's not. The console version runs at 30fps. Don't know why people are trying to claim the PC version is.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2011, 22:04 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 22:01:
How much story is there in SPAZ? Do the side-missions have unique backstories or are they just generic, randomly-generated missions where you kill stuff?

There's an overarching story, you'll run into missions as you unlock new warp gates (done by defeating the people blockading them or bribing your way through).

I can't say much about them because I, myself didn't pay much attention. I just wandered off and ignored them for the most part choosing to explore instead. I know they aren't randomly generated though (having seen the same missions that I did choose to do on multiple new games).

Edit: Think I mistook the question you were asking. There are non-story missions as well, and they are randomly generated, pretty generic, but those ones are really only done to shift your faction standing one way or the other in each sector. They're not related to the story in any way, nor do they have much story in and of themselves.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2011, 23:12.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2011, 21:58 Teddy

Prez wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 21:40:
How much more is there to SPAZ tham just shooting? I'm not into straight up shooters - strategy and some RPG leveling would be nice.

You level up as you fight, and have talent points so to speak to improve different types of equipment (beam weapons, missiles, shields, armor, crew capacity, etc). As you progress through the game you're constantly looking for design plans for new equipment, purchasing them from either faction and gaining new ship hull designs through combat.

So there are some RPG elements to it.

So far as strategy, very small amounts. You command a few ships, 2 are AI controlled and one you control directly. You can issue basic orders to them, such as which ship to attack, but there's some glaring discrepancies like for example, you can't tell them NOT to attack someone if they're technically an enemy even if you're trying to improve your standing with that faction.

There's also a bit of strategy in mind when you consider what weapon systems to employ on your ships, some damage shields better, some damage armor better, some missiles are dumbfire, some aim. Additional modules, like stealth detectors and tractor beams take up slots you could put something else into.

It's a pretty in-depth little game for a small price tag. I just wish they'd work on allowing more orders in the tactical screen.

Edit: Totalbuscuit has a WTF on SPAZ out there too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbikOfUFcxI

Gives a fair view of what the game is like in the beginning, showing many things you won't see in trailers for it.

News Comments > Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A
43. Re: Mojang to Fight Scrolls Battle in Court, if not Q3A Aug 21, 2011, 16:00 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 09:10:
Also your list has 1 glaring error, the one absolute trademark violation in that list (Dungeons has a lengthy subtitle (The Dark Lord) probably to prevent exactly such lawsuit

So its trademark is Dungeons - The Dark Lord (which is acceptable and not diluting ;P)

To correct your own 'glaring error'. 'Dungeons - The Dark Lord' is a stand alone expansion. The original game is and has always been called 'Dungeons'. No lawsuits filed. No one cared.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo