Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Humble Bundle Makes $1M
8. Re: Humble Bundle Makes $1M Oct 11, 2011, 15:29 Teddy

rist3903 wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 13:10:
The game SpaceChem looks quite good from this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjYOYtd298o

It's a very interesting puzzle game. It has a steep learning curve I found, as the tutorials don't -quite- show you in enough detail what's going on and it is quite complicated.

Once you've more or less sorted it out though, it's quite good and has some decent replayability for those OCD enough to try and compete with the leaderboards. Each map shows you Time taken to complete, moves used and some other metric that I forget offhand.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > RAGE Patched
44. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 20:16 Teddy

Overon wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 20:14:
You got to give props to id/bethesda for the most comprehensive changelog descriptions I have ever seen...but RAGE still sucks as a game but it does look pretty.

If by "comprehensive" you mean, "pass-the-buck" with every opportunity, then sure.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
35. Re: id On RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 23:31 Teddy

Elricsi wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 23:00:
Teddy wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 22:46:
"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games"

Translation: We'll release it on PC and charge as much as we possibly can for it, but we don't really care if it works.

Fuck you too, Carmack. Fuck you too.

That is the feeling I got from the quote too. (And I agree it is smart to design for the consoles first and foremost on action games.)

But I want to see if they really go ahead and release some HD levels for PC only, and I will be happy with that.

P.S. General consensus seems to be that the shooter gameplay is meh, but vehicles are suprising fun. I hope they focus their DLC efforts on the vehicle stuff.

I certainly agree from a business standpoint that consoles should generally be the lead platform for most games these days. That said, it's not an excuse for your title to be an appalling pile of shit on any other platform. If you decided to release it for platform X and you plan on asking people for $60+ for the game on that platform, then you make fucking sure it works at least on a reasonable level of quality and stability.

News Comments > BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues
42. Re: BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues Oct 7, 2011, 23:08 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 19:38:
RoTide wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 17:18:
But Beta tests aren't for you to "have fun" in.. No seriously.. They are to _test_ the game or the specific functions they want you to test.

But they are meant to have customizable controls. A large percentage of people cannot even "test" because they can't use their own controls. How exactly are you supposed to "test" the planes and choppers in Caspian when you can't config the joystick?

The BF3 beta is one big giant fail. Guaranteed they have lost many many pre-orders over the state of it. I've decided I'm going to keep my pre-order, just to retain the right to bitch at launch when they fuck it up...and they will fuck it up.

I keep seeing people claiming there's been some massive loss of pre-orders, yet the only "proof" they have of such was a photo-shopped image of a twitter comment that several shoddy journalists took as legitimate without bothering to check.

Not that I doubt some whiny people left because of the state of a beta, but the dissenters have been constantly trying to make it sound like it's a big thing. It's not. The 34k number passed around was something some troll pulled out of his ass.

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
25. Re: id On RAGE Oct 7, 2011, 22:46 Teddy

"We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games"

Translation: We'll release it on PC and charge as much as we possibly can for it, but we don't really care if it works.

Fuck you too, Carmack. Fuck you too.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 - State of the Game; Stats Reset Plans
4. Re: Red Orchestra 2 - State of the Game; Stats Reset Plans Oct 7, 2011, 13:32 Teddy

Dirwulf wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 13:14:
Stat reset. LOL.

Of course it's getting a stat reset. The game randomly promoted people to absurd ranks, gave them kills they didn't get, refused to account for kills they did get, unlocked a ton of stuff they shouldn't have unlocked.

They'd be idiots if they didn't do a reset.

News Comments > BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues
22. Re: BF3 Caspian Border Testing; Open Beta Issues Oct 7, 2011, 12:55 Teddy

Panickd wrote on Oct 7, 2011, 12:10:
I'm not sure why DICE/EA decided to release an open beta with so many issues and playing a single game type that no one is going to be playing after the retail release (everyone knows the conquest mode is all anyone cares about in BF games). While the game has grown on me a bit I still don't feel like I'll be willing to spend $60 on it. And lot's of the frustrating BS about the game that "will be fixed in retail, trust us" doesn't make that any more likely.

Please don't presume to speak for the entire community. No one gave you that right. Rush is still played by plenty of people in BC2, and it will be in BF3 as well, regardless of whether or not you approve of it.

News Comments > Planned Battlefield 3 Changes
20. Re: Planned Battlefield 3 Changes Oct 1, 2011, 01:09 Teddy

ASeven wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 21:37:
People said RO2 was heavily bugged. Until BF3 "beta" came out.

BF3 is the most bugged game I've seen, surpassing RO2 easily. And with DICE trackrecord, being a "beta" doesn't cut it since this is pretty much the final product.

That's a pretty laughably false statement. RO2 you had to download files from a separate source just to get the server browser to show servers, then when it did, it crashed repeatedly. Then when you got in, nothing that was supposed to be unlocked was. You would occasionally jump a ridiculous amount of levels from a single kill, get melee kill bonuses for sniping, none of the actual stats would save. You gained kills with weapons you never used. Then when they tried to fix it, they screwed it up even worse and added the hero weapons to classes that aren't supposed to have them, and gave them to you regardless of rank and they still haven't fixed that one.

Add in the routine crashes and disconnects during map changes, the hideous performance issues on top of the line machines...

No. Trying to claim that BF3's beta is even in the same ballpark as RO2 retail is beyond absurd. It's buggy, but it's not RO2 buggy.

You're just seeing with hate filled goggles and nothing more.

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
104. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 00:51 Teddy

Linksil wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:09:
Knifing is horrible in the game. Also no way to see in game ping really messes with betas, as you can't tell if it's the server, client, or both lagging.

I disagree on the knifing. I've always hated the way it was handled in other games with a random slash resulting in an instant kill. Using a knife in a combat situation is supposed to be a last resort, not a common thing. It's also not instant-fast. You have to lower your weapon, draw a knife and slash, and god help you if an opponent sees what you're trying to do.

It SHOULD be used only for humiliation kills and last resort situations. It SHOULD NOT be CoD style insta-kill as soon as you press the button with someone in melee range.

Vast VAST improvement over knifing from other games.

News Comments > BF3 Open Beta Begins
103. Re: BF3 Open Beta Begins Sep 30, 2011, 00:46 Teddy

ELITE wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 00:10:
BF 1942 great game - BF 1943 good game.

BF3? Piece of good looking poop.

I can't get over the crappy gameplay - full clip to kill someone nearly... headshots are worthless... Maybe if I was playing hardcore on a large map - but for now they are not getting my money.

I like my RO2 FULL Beta Release so much better. Bugs and all it's just so much better...

There's very clearly some issues people are having either with lag (video or network) or hitboxes. Either that or they just can't aim. I routinely kill people with 3-4 rounds from an M4A1 or AKS-74U, or a single shotgun hit. I've NEVER had to empty full magazines into anyone, nor have I had any issue with headshots functioning.

There are countless threads in battlelog with people complaining about how lethal the damage model is, that people die too easily, and here you are saying it takes a full clip to kill someone.

There's clearly a disconnect somewhere. The game IS lethal, people die fast. If that's not the case for you, then that's a bug, not the norm.

Edit: Oh, and incidentally, the "falling through terrain" bug seems to be server related. I've played on some where I can't help but fall through no matter what I do, and others where it literally never happens. No idea what the difference is. The downside is, that the ones where I didn't ever fall through consistently crashed and dumped all the players, reporting none of the stats for the round. Shitty choice to make between the two, but the latter also seemed to have better hit recognition so it very well may be lag related.

This comment was edited on Sep 30, 2011, 00:57.

News Comments > AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver
3. Re: AMD Battlefield 3 Preview Driver Sep 28, 2011, 03:13 Teddy

Draugr wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 02:48:
eunichron wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:37:
Hopefully this resolves some of the screen flashing issues. The beta runs well as it is, but there are some obvious issues that need immediate attention.

Wow these are some amazing optimized drivers. Team/enemy tags disappear entirely, and performance takes a huge dump every minute or so. Good job, AMD.

And that's why they are beta drivers.

I suppose. I'm running them just fine, my tags don't disappear unless the teammates are far enough away to only have the triangle icon. And my performance was solid for most of it though I had lag issues after an hour of play that I didn't have time to ascertain whether they were server related or video related. Could be video, if so I'll just roll back. Worked fine for me with the older drivers too.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis
25. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 03:07 Teddy

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 02:12:
Teddy wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:46:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:38:
Control mapping wasn't working in Alpha either. You know what that means? Yeah, control mapping is going to be fucked when they release. Add that into the queue where you wait to join the login server to wait to join the game, and I just cancelled my pre-order.

PC is the SKU! PC is the lead SKU! Yeah. Bull. Shit.

The queue worked just fine in the alpha. It didn't respond well with the number of people trying to use it in the beta. That's why they took it offline. There's a note about it in battlelog. Don't know why they left the window for it popping up, but the functionality is turned off at present.

*shrug* If you're cancelling a pre-order because of bugs in a beta, then you're an idiot, frankly. Your money though, go for it.

Thank you for insulting me, Teddy, you wonderful example of a human being. I'm cancelling because of bugs that have been here since the alpha. That are still here. That will be here in release. I'm not paying for another shooter that they will take their sweet-ass time fixing when this shit should already be working. If they took the queue offline, it's funny that it keeps trying to make me wait in it, over and over and over. Not testing keybinds in a beta is begging for huge issues with them on release.

You fanboys can call "it's a beta! it's a beta!" all you like, but we all know almost all shit from betas makes it live in this day and age.

Again, your money, your choice. That doesn't mean I can't think you're an idiot for making that decision and what paltry justification you try to give for it. And yes, they did take the queue offline. Read the freaking news post on battlelog about it. But then, that just lends more weight to my judgement of you doesn't it? And yes, thank you, I am a wonderful example of a human being. One that realizes that sometimes, insults are earned and justified, but then some would rather take the cowardly passive aggressive route. I think even less of those people than I do of idiots in general.

Don't pay, begone and have a nice day.

23. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 02:04 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 01:26:
Teddy you can change the Squad you are in by simply clicking on the squad leaders name on the Squad menu.

I haven't used it, but my understanding is you can even form a Squad in Battlelog before joining a game.

You can definitely create one in battlelog. The incident where it put me and my friends in a squad together automatically was purely coincidental. Has not happened again. Not sure what you mean by the squad leader's name in the squad menu. I have "Leave squad" And "Find Squad". Find squad just seems to automatically dump me somewhere, and I see no list of SL names or anything.

Maybe I'm just reading the screen wrong. I'll check into it more a little later. Just using the battlelog function at the moment.

Edit: Yay, join as a party doesn't work for me from battlelog and no, I can't select squad leaders in game to choose a squad. Don't know where you're seeing that interface. I don't have it.

This comment was edited on Sep 28, 2011, 03:08.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 00:46 Teddy

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 00:38:
Control mapping wasn't working in Alpha either. You know what that means? Yeah, control mapping is going to be fucked when they release. Add that into the queue where you wait to join the login server to wait to join the game, and I just cancelled my pre-order.

PC is the SKU! PC is the lead SKU! Yeah. Bull. Shit.

The queue worked just fine in the alpha. It didn't respond well with the number of people trying to use it in the beta. That's why they took it offline. There's a note about it in battlelog. Don't know why they left the window for it popping up, but the functionality is turned off at present.

*shrug* If you're cancelling a pre-order because of bugs in a beta, then you're an idiot, frankly. Your money though, go for it.

19. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 28, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 23:58:
Keybinding menu is a freaking mess. Can't rebind the mouse buttons at all, lose the mouse cursor half the time and have to back out, or use the keyboard. Joystick rebinds are just hosed, such as using gamepad buttons R Button and L Button when rebinding the throttle on my Force 3d Pro. Clicking Reset Bindings resets everything (ie: Video settings) in the menu's back to default.

Forced myself to use default controls for 30min...the gameplay is awesome. Game looks and runs fantastic on my aging system (basically met Beta minimum requirements) and it defaulted to just about everything maxed at 1920x1080, so that's impressive.

Now, they have until beta ends to fix the button and joystick mapping.

I was under the impression that control mapping wasn't even functional in the beta. I have to admit I haven't bothered to try.

The squad system I have issues with, since it's not very useful in game. From experience so far with friends, it does seem to try and group you together with people in your friends list at the start of a new round. I joined a server with a couple of friends, it auto-placed me in a random squad, played out the round. Next round, me and my two friends were in the same squad. Could have been a coincidence, but with three of us getting put together in a single 4 man squad, that'd be a hell of a coincidence.

That said, if you can get together with friends ahead of time, form a party and join a server that way, it puts you into a squad with them and you can lock the squad to stop random people from joining. That much is a relief.

The game is fun as hell, though while I can't say I've had any issue with it, one of my friends railed about how the guns felt bad and hit detection was awful, etc. I didn't have any issues with it myself. Could be he's used to other games and hasn't gotten used to the aiming/RoF/recoil in this game yet. Could be bug related. Could be he's just terrible at aiming, and is blaming the game for it.

I'm still not 100% convinced that all the graphical goodies are in the beta, despite having the options there. I'm on a brand new system, much more powerful than what I ran the alpha on, with much higher settings and it doesn't look much different to me.

17. Re: Battlefield 3 Beta Graphics Analysis Sep 27, 2011, 22:27 Teddy

entr0py wrote on Sep 27, 2011, 22:18:
They don't have enough servers, and quickmatch doesn't work well, but if you know how to work the server browser it doesn't take too long to get in. I've joined maybe 10 servers today, and it's never taken more than 3 minutes of trying.

From battlelog point at multiplayer, then click filter. Set the region filter, then check 1-5 free slots, and check Operation Metro and view servers. Now you can sort by ping or player count. Try servers until you're in.

I'm seeing plenty of empty servers and servers with 5+ spots available.

The quickmatch doesn't just not work well, it's been taken offline, and so has the queue joining. So if you're sitting in a queue waiting to get in, stop, find a different server or wait for an empty spot and try to join then.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 ShakyCam Footage
5. Re: Battlefield 3 ShakyCam Footage Sep 26, 2011, 23:58 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 22:45:
http://imgur.com/a/i8cSp#mPR3v

Note the "Private" checkbox beneath the squad list. Won't know until tomorrow, but that sounds a lot like a locked squad to me.

Edit: And incidentally, it's been mentioned that you can pre-form your squad outside of the game with your friends when joining as a party through the battlelog. So from what I'm seeing and hearing there are locked squads, just don't know how or even if you can form them on the fly in a game.

Edit #2: And if you scroll through those screenshots, later on... WOOT, joystick config section in the control settings.

News Comments > Red Orchestra 2 Patched
13. Re: Red Orchestra 2 Patched Sep 23, 2011, 10:32 Teddy

ASeven wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:24:
Verno wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 09:01:
Krovven wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 00:53:
EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 23:20:
so were still waiting on the patch that makes the game not suck...

Hmmm, I said that when Ostfront came out.

I'm still waiting for a demo or free weekend or something. I just don't think I'm going to like it.

He's just trolling, the game is fine despite some technical snafus. It's certainly in no worse shape than Dead Island was at release. I've been busy with other stuff but the MP itself is quite fun and I'm sure I'll be playing a lot more when the release schedule slows down.

Trolling like hell indeed. For some reason this game is producing a lot of butthurt people despite the game being the best MP experience in years for me and many. The release was broken and buggy, that's true, but this is Tripwire, not Infinity Ward or Treyarch or DICE we're talking about. They will stick to the game for years to come.

But for some reason this game is attracting a shitload of trolls. Haters gonna hate I guess.

It's also attracting absurd fanboys who forgive every single bug and flaw in the game because "this is Tripwire, not Infinity Ward or Treyarch or DICE we're talking about".

If any of those companies ever released a game in the state RO2 was released in, you would be screaming bloody murder and people at the company would be getting fired. It's not forgivable simply because they'll fix it eventually. It was sheer incompetence, nothing more. They may have the creative positions down, with decent graphics, sound and solid design ideas, but they seriously need to hire some real, effective project managers and testing leads. If they even have any right now, they're either terrible at their jobs, or they're being ignored by their bosses.

As with the previous RO at release, it has potential and it will eventually meet it because... well, what else does Tripwire have to do? If they don't fix it, they'll never sell a new game. I've played Single Player and I'll wait for the majority of the bugs to get ironed out before I touch the MP side.

Incidentally, saying something is in "no worse shape than Dead Island at release" is not a compliment to the game, nor a forgiving statement in any way shape or form. That's like saying, "Hey, it's at least as good as Daikatana."

For those interested, if you aren't willing to look past major bugs, then wait a month or so for them to fix it before buying.

News Comments > Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
14. Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

entr0py wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 00:20:
The new squad system seems fine to me. The limitation of spawning only on the squad leader helps keep the group together. And the 4 man limit means there is a realistic chance of actually eradicating a squad so they have to spawn back at the base.

The only thing that bothers me is that, from what I've heard, in the alpha there was no way to see squads or join specific ones. You'd just hit the "join squad" button and be dumped into a squad at random. Strangely this was coupled with the new ability to join servers as a group with other friends and spawn in a pre-made squad. Hopefully proper squad control was just something they hadn't implemented yet.

Spawn only on squad leader got removed after the Alpha.

News Comments > Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
11. Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 22, 2011, 23:41 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 21:19:
They only thing I've ever used squads for is spawning closer and extra XP. In fact I'm a squad hopper, just hop into whatever squad is closer to the front lines, at the end try to hop into whatever squad has the most points to get some XP awards.

I barely remember them in BF2, but I'm guessing they were 6 man squads whereas BC2 is 5?

I take it you haven't seen the EA Battlefield 3 forums.

I avoid game specific forums like the plague. Nothing good can come from someone who spends their days making 1000's of (if before release, speculative) posts about a single game.

BF2 was 6 man squads, BC2 and BF3 are 4 man squads. Evidently it's a travesty that completely destroys the ability to play as a team. So sayeth the Battlefield "vets".

I personally only ever played in squads with people I knew and the thing I'll miss from BF2 was the ability to create your own squad and lock it when you had the people in it you wanted. Though I do admit I did take advantage of squad spawning in BF3 alpha and the extra points in supplying them with ammo/healing.

I don't remember ever selecting a squad in the alpha, I think it just automatically tossed you into one.

As for the commander role itself, it was a novel concept but the reality of MP gaming shows it's flaws pretty clearly. Too easy to grief with, too restrictive in other regards.

What I'd have like to see was that they keep the position, but remove the player from the field of play. Without having to worry about having your avatar killed, you can focus more on the actual strategy, and you wouldn't be a burden to your team's tickets getting killed. It would also stop a lot of people from picking it that didn't really want it, since you wouldn't get to shoot anyone.

Make it a more esoteric role, rather than a soldier with extra abilities and it'll eliminate a lot of the people taking it who shouldn't be. Add in sizable point penalties for TK's off of drops and artillery and limit it to a certain in-game rank and you won't have many griefers touching it, especially since you only get one character in BF3. Griefers would destroy any suitably ranked account by mass TKing with the artillery.

I don't think the idea of the Commander was the problem. Just the execution.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo