Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
74. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 20:03 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:49:
Teddy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:31:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:26:
The jet level sucks because you aren't flying. You assume the role of the pilot, but it just floats along on a rail with you popping flares or firing guns and missiles as needed. It's so boring because more than half the time is just waiting for the the enemies to decide to fly in front of you rather than behind.

No, you do not assume the role of the pilot in that mission. Apparently you simply failed to understand it. The other guy is the pilot, YOU are the weapons officer responsible for handling... you guessed it, the weapons.

Well then they confused me by directly referring to her in the preceding cutscene as the F-18 pilot that flew an air strike. That distinction doesn't suddenly make the mission any less of a disappointment, however.

WSO's (weapons systems officers) are also trained and qualified pilots. To my knowledge, they generally don't swap about from single pilot fighters to strike aircraft, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

*shrugs* If you don't appreciate a closer approximation of actual encounters, that's on you. I'd personally rather they try to remain authentic and make things interesting that way instead of "Here's a bajillion things to blow up! GO GO GO!" Your single jet is not going to get swarmed by 50 enemy aircraft and hundreds of ground targets. That sort of thing simply DOES NOT happen. Forgetting even the pilots' lives, the Navy would not send in a $50+ million dollar aircraft to guaranteed destruction against innumerable odds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:51 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:49:
Teddy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 19:31:

No, you do not assume the role of the pilot in that mission. Apparently you simply failed to understand it. The other guy is the pilot, YOU are the weapons officer responsible for handling... you guessed it, the weapons.

Does anyone know if this back seat position is available in MP?

To my knowledge, it's not, though I didn't get to try any A10's or the russian equivalent in testing. There is, however a co-op mission where you are pilot and co-pilot.

70. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:31 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 14:26:
The jet level sucks because you aren't flying. You assume the role of the pilot, but it just floats along on a rail with you popping flares or firing guns and missiles as needed. It's so boring because more than half the time is just waiting for the the enemies to decide to fly in front of you rather than behind.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 19:38.

69. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 19:28 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 13:43:
And while I agree the CoD story is incoherent garbage, it at least has a pressing urgency. That's really the only thing it communicates well.

But the two or three reviews I skimmed didn't drool over CoD, just said this tries very hard to be CoD and fails miserably by having the same flaws and new ones.

No big surprise. MW does set pieces and urgency well. It does infinite spawning and story cohesion poorly.

Like hell is had a pressing urgency. All they did with that was have the guys yell at you when you didn't move. In the first mission in black ops I was in a house that was supposedly falling down around us. They kept shouting, "Come on, WE HAVE TO GET OUT NOW!" Just for fun I left my character sitting in a corner doing absolutely nothing, walked away from my computer. The AI fought with itself for almost an hour with the friendlies screaming about how the building was coming down and we had to get out NOW.

I was bored out of my skull in Black Ops precisely because these people don't understand how to pace a story. Constant explosions and gunfire is not exciting. It's repetitive and if it ever impressed you at the beginning, you just don't care by the time the 70th explosion in the last five minutes goes off.

Same reason I despise Michael Bay movies. He is one of the worst film makers of our generation, and even though he doesn't understand how to make a movie without having to scream EPIC EPIC EPIC every second of the film, he still gets millions to make his drivel. He sells movies well, he makes them horribly.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2011, 19:39.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
8. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 11:57 Teddy

Rosco wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 11:14:
Oh boy, another modern day cookie cutter combat game. Remember the good ol' days when everyone used to bitch about WWII shooters?

I miss those WWII shooters now.

So go play Red Orchestra 2?

12. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 11:48 Teddy

JayDeath wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:30:
I'm disappointed about the shitty single player reviews. I guess I'm one of the few who was really looking forward to a stellar campaign. Oh well, the mp reviews are positive across the board so far. I can't imagine the gameplay being better than BC2 but we'll see.

Eh, I'll be judging for myself. Frankly, most of these reviewers gave Black Ops a virtual blowjob over it's single player which I thought was one of the most boring SP shooters I've ever encountered. Then they complain that BF3's single player is too similar to Black Ops and call it trite and boring.

Apparently for reviewers it's fine to give CoD extra points for being 'cinematic' while taking away points from the competition for being 'too linear'. Just makes me shake my head at game reviewers in general.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad Oct 23, 2011, 00:19 Teddy

Prez wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 23:05:
CONS: Single-player campaigns afflicted with terrible AI;
Has a very steep learning curve for new players.

Two huge impediments to my ability to enjoy a game unfortunately.

"Campaign" is a stretch anyways. Think BF2 single player. It's the MP levels with bots and voice-over intros for stories.

The enemy AI actually really isn't that bad, the friendly AI is the real problem, consistently getting in your way while they all make a B line to whatever window/door/corner you happen to be looking out from so that they can stand in your way.

My favorite part is when you're in cover behind a window, go to peek out and there's a friendly AI in cover on the opposite side of your window, staring at you with his back to the enemy. You shoot him in the face because he's a danger to yourself and your team, and he doesn't flinch while the game shouts "Hey, that's a friendly!" No, that's an idiot. There's a difference.

The MP can be fun, and very atmospheric, but this is a title I should have waited 6 months on before buying.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced
56. Re: World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced Oct 22, 2011, 20:09 Teddy

Umbragen wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 18:54:
True, enough. I know little about the history of Warcraft. I'm not a big fan of strategy games. What I do have, is a family full of lawyers, multiple generations of lawyers, I understand them quite well. A bit of prior art is not necessarily an adequate defense.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Pandaren

Try again, Mr Not-A-Lawyer that's trying to co-opt his family's expertise in the matter. It's not a two sentence blurb from years ago, it's a well detailed race used in a tabletop RPG, a card game, now in multiple video games, several books.

Dreamworks would get slapped down and a counter-suit would be filed instantly if they tried it.

48. Re: World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced Oct 22, 2011, 15:18 Teddy

Jonny wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 13:47:
Umbragen wrote on Oct 22, 2011, 10:20:
I'm going to presume Dreamworks' lawyers are a good bit sharper than the dim bulbs ZeniMax, they may actually succeed in suing Blizzivision, they may even do it without alienating their customer base.

I doubt it. Pandaren first appeared in Warcraft III: Frozen Throne in 2003, Kung Fu Panda wasn't released until 2008.

Yep. It's been fun reading all the people who know absolutely nothing about Warcraft history or lore talk about how Blizzard has done something shocking by creating an expansion centered around a race/character type they wrote into their storylines almost ten years ago. Not to mention one of the few races that people have been asking for.

23. Re: World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria Announced Oct 21, 2011, 22:34 Teddy

beigemore wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:59:
Drezden wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 20:38:
Wrath? Sorry, the glory days ended with BC. The last time there was hardcore raid content, raid keys, and a sense of accomplishment. Wrath was the beginning of the "Any dumb shmuck can smash buttons and DPS for free purps" era.

Side Note: I can't believe I actually agree with Cutter for once. I must be getting old.

You just walked all over heroic Lich King and Mimiron, right?

Of course not. Only 1 out of every million people that complains about how 'easy' everything has gotten actually completed any of the difficult fights. They just come up with excuses as to why those fights didn't matter.

I'd put money down he didn't touch a single hard mode at all, at least not until it's 2 tiers out of date.

News Comments > Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass
18. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 22:17 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 21:16:
Seriously though, I doubt Blizzard is 'scared' of either game.

-Alamar

The only game Blizzard is scared of when it comes to WoW subscriptions is Diablo 3. They've said as much in multiple interviews. It's the only game they expect to lose a large number of subscriptions to and it's their own damn game. Hence this news.

News Comments > More BF3 Norway Follow-up
12. Re: More BF3 Norway Follow-up Oct 20, 2011, 14:35 Teddy

Jackplug wrote on Oct 20, 2011, 14:07:
I think its activomit trying to stir up shit on BF3 so MW3 will get more buyers.

I highly doubt that. Activision may not be my favorite company, but they're simply not stupid enough to risk charges of libel, fraud and anti-competitive behavior over something as completely inane as this. Nor are they stupid enough to give a competitor free advertising by manufacturing such a minor debacle. It's not significant enough to cause any number of people to boycott, so all it's doing is keeping BF3 in the news even more than it was before.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Trailer
28. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Trailer Oct 19, 2011, 13:21 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2011, 13:16:
Battlelog looks like a mildly improved version of Bungie.net. Which means Halo 3, for consoles, had nearly all of this in 2008. Does Battlelog have the heatmaps for each game like Bungie.net did, though? With Halo 3 you could go online and look at the heat map, as well as where you were standing for every kill/death, as well as where the other guy involved was.

Halo 3 also let you watch replays of entire games, which was enormously awesome and I'm shocked no PC dev has done this as the ability to save these, to scroll through them faster, and to upload them to YouTube would be insane.

UT still had the best stats.

No, battlelog doesn't have heatmaps (CoD Elite will though), and for reference, Black Ops let you watch replays of entire games, save and upload, etc. Then again, so did BF2's battlerecorder 5 or 6 years ago, and so did CS years before that (minus the youtube integration on both of those).

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched
4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Patched Oct 18, 2011, 23:22 Teddy

Creston wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:48:
Crustacean Soup wrote on Oct 18, 2011, 22:25:
I've noticed the moire, but it was hardly annoying at all.

What's moire?

Creston

"moire effect

Moiré effect is a visual perception that occurs when viewing a set of lines or dots that is superimposed on another set of lines or dots, where the sets differ in relative size, angle, or spacing. The moiré effect can be seen when looking through ordinary window screens at another screen or background. It can also be generated by a photographic or electronic reproduction, either deliberately or accidentally."

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci768750,00.html

News Comments > DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta "Mission Accomplished"
58. Re: DICE: Battlefield 3 Beta Oct 17, 2011, 16:17 Teddy

Verno wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 12:59:

Second, most people don't give a shit about the SP game so obviously they would base their decision on how the multiplayer

For the love of god... please people stop trying to speak for other people. YOU don't give a shit about the SP game, that's fine. You are not remotely qualified to decide what "most" people care about.

News Comments > More Battlefield 3 Map Details
8. Re: More Battlefield 3 Map Details Oct 15, 2011, 03:03 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Oct 15, 2011, 00:04:
The Karkand DLC map pack is a stand alone expansion, completely separate set of weapons to unlock etc. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to rotate Karkand maps with BF3 maps.

Stand alone expansion? What?

I don't know where you're getting your information on this game, but you should start looking somewhere else. You've been misinformed again.

The Karkand DLC is just 4 maps, a few new vehicles only present in those maps and some new weapons that are available in every map for you if you own the DLC.

It really is just a DLC. It's not the same as the Vietnam expansion for BC2.

Granted, if you rotate those maps in, anyone that doesn't own the DLC will get booted from your server, but that's pretty standard for adding any DLC maps to your rotation.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Map Details
14. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 14, 2011, 11:26 Teddy

deqer wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 10:17:
What about Battlefield 2142? I want to play BF2142 again. Those maps were great, and had great loading music. Also, Titan-mode.

We don't want to play BF3.

We didn't ask for another battlefield game.

Yet another case of someone that doesn't realize he's not got the authority to speak for anyone else.

Speak for yourself, do NOT presume to speak for me or anyone else.

I for one absolutely do NOT want to play another 2142 type game.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 MP Map Details
6. Re: Battlefield 3 MP Map Details Oct 13, 2011, 22:27 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:42:
Krovven wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:38:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:25:
* No proper joystick support, though it's been promised for months.

Wait, what? I thought they confirmed months ago that it would?

I know the config screen is a disaster right now, but I'm expecting it, probably naively, to be sorted out come release.

Apparently by proper joystick support they thought everyone meant an xbox360 controller hooked up to your PC. Nope, it's on the list of things to "look at after release".

I can't help you with looking for a link to some tweet or interview, just don't expect your HOTAS setup to work at release.

Nice spin, pretty close to a blatant lie but not quite there. Keep trying.

What they ACTUALLY said was that they expect it to be ready, but the specific person that they spoke to said he'd been on the road for quite a while and couldn't guarantee it.

No one ever said anything about the xbox360 controller being supported but joysticks not. That's all you just making shit up.

Allow me:

GameSpy: The beta didn't work well with joysticks or control pads(emphasis added). What level of support for these devices will the game ship with? Will pilots be able to fly with a stick or pad?

Lars: It's something we're looking into. It looks like we will be able to ship with joystick support, but I've been on the road for quite some time so I can't guarantee it. But yes, if it doesn't turn up at launch, it will definitely be a high priority as soon as possible after shipping. The work being done to support joysticks is more or less the same as control pads, if you get one, you get the other. It's something we're aware of now that we've brought back the jets. It's on the list.

http://www.enterbf3.com/news/553-command-rose-voip-and-joysticks/

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Oct 11, 2011, 21:44 Teddy

Dagnamit wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 21:29:
yes, sir. saw, "decent Diablo clone" then five bucks. Sold.

I know some will be shocked, but I actually enjoyed Titan Quest more than Torchlight as far as Diablo clones go.

Both have some good ideas, Torchlight is certainly more moddable, but so far as the base game goes, Titan Quest is freaking enormous, though it suffers from actually dropping too MUCH loot. After a while you just tune most of it out and start ignoring chests unless they're the fancy kind.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Oct 11, 2011, 20:14 Teddy

Titan quest gold for $5. Not too shabby.  

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo