Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer
10. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 19:17 Teddy

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 18:57:
The point is to simulate gameplay for critical review (usually with an existing game engine) before committing to the hard work of actually making the game.

Which is equally as bad, because it means that this is what they WANT to make the game like.

I don't have so much a problem with the storyline as with the atrocious presentation. QTE's have no place in shooters, they're not gameplay, they don't 'engage' me more during what is essentially a cutscene, they're just annoying. Beyond that, we have AGAIN, Rainbow Operatives not in proper gear, no helmets and balaclavas to hide their identities because after all, how can they expect us to 'connect' with a character who's face we can't see? *eyeroll* What's that Master Chief? You're one of the most well known video game icons in history even though we've never seen your face?

We have 3rd person cover mechanics AGAIN after the abysmal failure of the last two R6 games that tried it. We have magical vision that sees through cars even though we're not wearing any form of optics. We have 'tough ethical decisions' to make when none of them are actual decisions, unless you count, shoot that cop or stop playing the game. Kill that civilian or stop playing the game.

We have a cinematic, scripted plan for gameplay where the units are set up FOR you in the 'right' locations to intervene and engage at the 'right' time to keep the story moving forward, instead of allowing players to create their own strategy which was one of the only things that set the Rainbow 6 games apart way back when they were relevant.

And of course, we have regenerating health as displayed when he gets shot and the screen flashes red then quickly dissipates.

I wish I had the opportunity to personally spit on everyone responsible for this piece of crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer
7. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Trailer Nov 4, 2011, 18:03 Teddy

Oh, for the love of fucking god... Just when I thought they couldn't do worse than Lockdown.

More QTE's than BF3's single player, and just as I expected "Tough Ethical Decisions (tm)" that you get to make (or you get blown up and it's game over).

Perhaps the next Rainbow 6 game can be about the terrorists that went to kill everyone involved in destroying the Rainbow 6 franchise, who now that they've long since killed the title insist on pissing on it's corpse on a regular basis.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Improvements
48. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 13:29 Teddy

Shataan wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 09:42:
Gotta ask... when pray tell do these fixes arrive? I see no d/l indication. No "EA here, we just released an update... etc etc etc".

Most of the ones listed are back end fixes, the hardcore server deal, the quickmatch, lag issues, etc. There have been multiple server updates since release. I believe we're on R7 server version now. The stability fixes will probably have to be client patches once they figure out what the hell's wrong.

21. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:29 Teddy

Krovven wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:58:
|oR|jonvall wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 21:04:
I tried to bind my R mouse button to "run" in the beta but it wouldn't work.

Have they fixed the mouse and keyboard binding issues?

Yes this is fixed jonvall. I have no clue what DangerDog is on about.

I use Right-Mouse button to move forward as well, and all my controls work perfectly, including Joystick. The only exception being Q is hardcoded to Spot/Communication, but can still be bound to other things. ie: I have Q bound to reload, it just also reloads when I spot, and vice versa.

There are still some binding issues, particularly with keys used for QTE's in the single player and co-op sections of the game. Much like the Q issue, you can rebind the key but it screws things up. ie. people were having problems getting past QTE's in the single player game that required them to spam the Space bar, because they rebound their jump to something else and while the game still demanded they press space, it didn't recognize it unless they simultaneously pressed space AND the key they'd bound jump to.

Weird stuff like that is still around, but it doesn't really affect MP much.

20. Re: Battlefield 3 Improvements Nov 4, 2011, 00:27 Teddy

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 4, 2011, 00:09:
No mention of the stutter fix?? If you go to the BF3 tech support forum you'll see stutter as a top complaint. I don't suggest buying the game till there is a major patch release. Fool me once, EA... fool me once...

ATI has already released a new driver version that's supposed to correct stuttering with crossfire setups.

If there's some other stuttering issue, I have no idea. I've not seen it, myself.

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced
33. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced Nov 3, 2011, 22:49 Teddy

Prez wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 20:25:
I was never a big fan of the planning phase. It was cool and all, but the vast majority of the mission time was spent in a 3D wireframe setting waypoints and commands - the mission itself would only take a fraction of the time. Not unrealistic, but not necessarily "fun" either...

Definitions of "fun" vary. I enjoyed the strategic side of it very much and have hated every game they put out since that didn't have it. It was one of the defining features of the R6 titles, then they decided to remove it and try and make it just like every other shooter on the market.

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced
10. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Announced Nov 3, 2011, 15:56 Teddy

Playing as Rainbow, players will face critical scenarios that will require them to make tough ethical decisions in order to stop this new breed of terrorists.

So the question is, do we actually get to MAKE the 'tough ethical decisions', or is there a set story that we have to follow and if we make the 'wrong' decision, then it's game over?

News Comments > BF3 on Steam Hints
24. Re: BF3 on Steam Hints Oct 31, 2011, 19:20 Teddy

Prez wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:19:
I think you are right. The files were probably just put in before the big Steam/EA tiff.

They weren't. That's why the speculation exists at the moment. They were added in a recent punkbuster update.

The battlefield 3 steam code thing was probably a mix-up, but according to several BF news sites, the files are brand new.

News Comments > BF3 on Steam Hints
23. Re: BF3 on Steam Hints Oct 31, 2011, 19:15 Teddy

Bludd wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 19:14:
bhcompy wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:03:
God Origin is an abortion. Getting it installed off the DVD was a nightmare because it didn't pick up the DVD and tried to download it from EA's awful Origin servers. Had to copy all ~14gigs to the HDD, replace the Origin installer files with the new installer, and run setup from there to get it to pick up. Then it required me to disable uPnP on my firewall and setup port forwarding to even log in(which no other game has ever required).
Actually, it just says "downloading" but it installs from the DVDs. After a while you get prompted to insert DVD2. I was caught out by this too, but when I realised it was "downloading" at 8 MB/s which is 5 MB/s more than my line can handle, I realised it was just Origin being dumb and actually not downloading.

Not the case for everyone. Some people actually did have it download instead. It is a bit wacky sometimes.

News Comments > Origin Adds Publishers
29. Re: Origin Adds Publishers Oct 28, 2011, 12:16 Teddy

Now where are all the people who were saying "They're not doing this to compete with Steam, they're just using it for their own products."?

Short-sighted tools, every one of them.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Nightwing Trailer
9. Re: Batman: Arkham City Nightwing Trailer Oct 27, 2011, 17:10 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 15:51:
Oh hells yeah! I wish they would have gone with Nightwing instead of Catslut in the first place. I simply cannot get into playing a chick even in a fictional sense. I hopes this means you can play through the entire game as Nightwing and not just the challenge maps.

Negative. Assuming it's anything like the Catwoman "first purchase club" bit, it's a sub-plot that goes along side the main, periodically swapping you over to play one or the other. Or you can select the specific story sections and play them individually (or just wander off with that particular character and screw around ignoring the story.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3
55. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 15:39 Teddy

Mac wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 15:30:
EA must be racist ... what other reason is there to delay the launch until Friday in the UK?

Congratulations. You won the most retarded post of the day award.

54. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 15:39 Teddy

Dmitri_M wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 15:31:
What's up with Origin still saying "pre-order now"? I'm thinking of getting it but only if I can play it right now.

Although that's only because it'd be nice to have a brand spanking new highend PC game (Rage didn't quite deliver) rather than any real desire to play it..

If you're in NA you should be fine. EU and UK orders don't unlock until the 27th or 28th, one of the two.

43. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 14:32 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 14:21:
Teddy wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 12:02:
The campaign is no worse than any CoD campaign, or MoH's from last year. It's no better either, but certainly no worse.

It looked worse to me, even more scripted and controlled, but that could be because it was the opening.

Granted the train sequence is pretty bad, but it's also the worst part of the game (barring aforementioned bat-shit crazy bit near the end). The remainder plays out pretty much identical to a CoD game.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Checklist
20. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 13:54 Teddy

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 09:39:
BF3 is friggin MIND BLOWING and very infantry heavy. The helicopters and particularly jets seem totally worthless and will have to be tweaked as they do jack shit in the game apparently and are very easy to blast away.

The jets really require some of their unlocks for survivability and to deal reasonable damage to ground targets. Give the players some time to get them and learn to stay high unless directly engaging and you'll start to see some real involvement from them.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 PC Checklist
19. Re: Battlefield 3 PC Checklist Oct 25, 2011, 13:49 Teddy

Surf wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 09:43:
PS - Got mine on Amazon for $50, digi download.

Can't remember the map names, some are really good, others not so much, but I blame myself because with previous BF's the hardest thing was getting used to the maps.

Karkand, which I have, was not unlocked all day yesterday, so wasn't able to play. Over time we will see which maps shine.

OH AND THERE IS A COMPASS IN THE LOWER LEFT! YEEEHAW!

Karkand and the maps from that (despite showing up on the battlelog server list filters) are not available at launch. They'll be out in about a month.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 13:44 Teddy

Bucky wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 12:49:
Edit: I'd love the ability to change my handle. I wish I'd known that my EA account name would apply to the game itself.

http://www.origin.com/us/change-id

Edit: Heh. I should have read the whole thread, oh well.

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - Battlefield 3 Oct 25, 2011, 12:02 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 25, 2011, 11:48:
Giantbomb quicklook makes the campaign look flat-out embarrassing.

The campaign is no worse than any CoD campaign, or MoH's from last year. It's no better either, but certainly no worse.

Yes there are occasional QTE's and whoever came up with the idea to include them needs to have the stupid smacked out of them, but the rest is pretty much par for the course for linear aka "Cinematic" SP style shooters.

The only real qualm I have with the plot is that it runs along well enough through almost the entire thing, then goes bat-shit crazy in the last mission (or just before it). Not going to utter any spoilers, but there's a very clear moment that NO ONE in their right mind is going to be able to consider logical.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
83. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 22:44 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 20:52:
Again, my gripe with the mission was that it was on rails, period. Call of Duty does aircraft on rails, but Battlefield is known for letting players fly them, so why stoop to that level? I can only guess they figured it'd be too complex for the average console player. That the entire campaign seemed to have been designed with that mindset is the reason I probably won't ever be replaying it, same as Bad Company 2's. Bring on the multiplayer!

Because in flying a strike aircraft (generally 2 seater) which is what was used in that mission, the pilot ONLY flies. If they'd done that, you'd be complaining that all you get to do is fly around and not shoot anything.

They could have had a flight mission in a fighter where it's pure air to air and then you'd be able to do both, but they decided to show closer to what actually happens. If you're the WSO, and you're on a mission... LIFE is on rails for you. You go where the pilot flies you and do your own job.

News Comments > Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted?
23. Re: Medal of Honor Sequel Hinted? Oct 24, 2011, 20:07 Teddy

Hump wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 16:36:
ugh, just put a nail in the coffin of this IP. EA has butchered it with every attempt since the guys who formed Infinity Ward left.

Agreed. They have Battlefield as their major modern shooter title. We REALLY don't need MoH as well. Where battlefield at least has vehicles to distinguish itself against CoD, MoH had almost nothing. I enjoyed the SP campaign more so than any CoD game I've played save perhaps the original Modern Warfare itself, but even that didn't make it worth the cost.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo