Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week
19. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 8, 2011, 07:37 Teddy

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 02:08:

After playing the beta and reading the forum I've realized that this MMO is anything but even remotely like WoW. This is a "themepark" MMO: Your hand is held throughout the game, in this way it's absolutely useless to return to old areas and the exploration factor is hardly in there. It is true that WoW had this too, but it was heavily disguised due to the fact the game was OPEN WORLD.

I loved the beta but since I didn't wanna spoil too much for myself I played almost every class up unil the end of their starting planet. I am doubtful.

Then you missed a good bit of the freedom allowed in the game. After the newbie area (which includes the planet after the starting planet) you're free to go where you will. The game certainly didn't hold my hand when I walked into an area 6 levels above me on a random planet I chose and the enemies decimated me while I barely scratched them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:19 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:17:
So where will the Blues News guilds/servers be? : ) Plural because not everyone will want to play the same faction.

I'm already coordinating with a few people at work, a few online friends, and potentially some more ; )

Personally, Empire, Sith Inq (Sorc for me, Ass for the wife).

-Alamar

I don't know if it will hold to the same thing as in the beta, but in the beta you could have characters from both factions on the same server.

8. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 22:13 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 22:11:
Fion wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:06:
Early access begins in six days. They moved the early access from five days to seven. Woot

I wonder if that has to do with the game coming out on the 15th in Europe. Maybe they were complaining they wouldn't get any early access time as it was before?

Or perhaps they had enough pre-orders that they wanted a longer period to stagger in the addition of new players. Who knows? Either way, it's now 7 days potentially instead of 5, which is a nice bonus.

4. Re: The Old Republic Preloads; Early Access Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 21:47 Teddy

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 7, 2011, 21:27:
No, the Access emails go OUT on the 13th, Early start is UP TO 5 days (so the 15th). Thankfully my 10 meg service gets installed tomorrow, so I don't have to spend a week downloading it

Incorrect.

Early Game Access* will begin on December 13th at 7:00AM EST, 2011 and ends on December 19th, 2011 at 10:01PM EST.

Directly from the email prompting me to preload.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
36. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 15:29 Teddy

Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 09:04:
Parroting this in every post you make never gets old, really we never tire of hearing it Rolleyes Uh oh, I said we!

Goodness, what will I do, knowing that I don't entertain you to your satisfaction? I might start giving a fuck... then again, I might not.

22. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 07:49 Teddy

Ledge wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 05:02:
Endo wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 00:07:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 18:56:
Wish there was a way that servers could filter out players over certain ranks. It sucks that I can't dedicate my life to this game and am only rank 8 and get my ass handed to me constantly by 35+ers out there.
There is an easy fix for that, though unfortunately you may not like it.

Don't play FPSs with unlocks and levels. Frankly, the genre is not suited for that. There's plenty of excellent FPSs out there that are way better than Battlefield and CoD. You just need to spend a little time finding them.

Unless, of course, you like to spend hours and hours of not-fun game time just to ungimp yourself.

i agree. everything unlocked from the get go. its just tailored/or better suited to the hardcore nuts. the fun and enjoyment is not there for the casual gamer.

That's a pretty laughable statement. CoD sells 20 million units a game these days, Battlefield 3 has already sold 8 million. The majority of those are not "Hardcore gamers". Those ARE the casual gamers and they've proven in droves that they like unlock systems.

You want to play with everything unlocked, then play on unranked servers. That's what they're there for.

As for the previous comment "There's plenty of excellent FPSs out there that are way better than Battlefield and CoD." Don't confuse YOUR OPINION of games with a definitive 'better' or 'worse'.

13. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 4, 2011, 23:52 Teddy

DangerDog wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 23:27:
The fact that you only get one solder per account sort of killed the limited rank allowed servers.

I wasn't a fan of that anyway, just because you see someone at a higher rank doesn't make them a better player it's just an indication that they've played the game longer.

As far as having access to better weapons, the low tier weapons are just as effective.

In many ways, the unlocked guns are even worse while being situationally better at best. It's not the guns that are the issue, they never are. It's the attachments, equipment and vehicle perks that make the real difference. IRNV (pre-nerf), Flares, Stealth, Guided Shells, Thermal Optics, etc. These things give very clear and distinct advantages, whereas a new gun generally doesn't.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of games that balance based on 'skill' or 'rank' in any way. Playing with better players forces me to learn to play better, myself. I'd much rather go 1-20 and feel proud of that one kill than go 20-1 because my opponents resemble a shooting gallery, running around haphazardly without a clue what they're doing. I doubt I'm representative of what the majority prefer though.

10. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 4, 2011, 22:05 Teddy

Kevin Lowe wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 21:51:
CrimsonPaw wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 18:56:
Wish there was a way that servers could filter out players over certain ranks. It sucks that I can't dedicate my life to this game and am only rank 8 and get my ass handed to me constantly by 35+ers out there.
What I'd like would be skill-based matchmaking onto dedicated servers. Given that a dedicated server slot costs around $1.25, I would think that server providers could profitably provide such a service for around $10 a year, if they had enough customers for economy of scale to kick in. Basically, I'd be reserving a portable slot within a pool of servers, instead of a slot belonging to a specific server and the group that rents it. It'd be like having 3 or 4 different Xbox Lives to choose from, competing on oversubscribed capacity level or the size of their player list (larger list == higher probability of an ideal skill match).

BF3 already calculates a skill level (it's used for matchmaking on consoles, but is also visible on PC), so it wouldn't be too hard to bolt on a matchmaking server. Add federated authentication to Origin so that we can manage our RSP account from a single sign on, and it gets even easier.

It's not a bad idea, but that really depends on them implementing it well. Considering how poorly their last attempt went, I'm not sure they'll try it. In Medal of Honor, they had a 'skill system' with matchmaking based on it, and once you got to a certain level of skill it would simply stop putting you in servers with anyone else and continually dump you into empty servers because you were 'too good' to play with anyone else. On the other hand, after the game had been out for a long while, the vast majority of people who still played had skill levels far higher than anyone new to the game, so you had the opposite problem, with new players being dumped into empty servers or nearly so, because there weren't enough people at their skill level to play with.

Granted, BF3 has a hell of a lot more active players so the system may work better, and perhaps they actually learned something from the MoH debacle in terms of how to implement it better, but frankly, I doubt it.

News Comments > Gunpoint Trailer; Music Submissions
1. Re: Gunpoint Trailer; Music Submissions Dec 2, 2011, 23:48 Teddy

Hadn't heard of this game before, looks like a cute puzzler. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on it.  

News Comments > BRINK Free Weekend
23. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 15:37 Teddy

CreamyBlood wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 10:06:
Icewind wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 08:15:
How about they change fluid to "smooth"? Will that placate you?

No mister Dale, it still doesn't mean anything. Movement in Doom was 'smooth'. Movement in Quake 3 was 'smooth'. Movement in Risen, is 'smooth'. What do you mean by it? What should I compare it to and what's the difference?

I've been using ESDF and right-mouse for forward for around fifteen years. What are 'smooth controls'?

What is 'smooth' gameplay? Honestly, what does that mean? People use words like these to explain their reviews of a game or mechanic of a game and it means fuck all. It says nothing.

In the eighties there was a really bad, cheesey song that featured a 'smooth operator'. I understand that. It's vague but applies to something most of us can understand. Now he is a 'fluid operator'? I'm getting images of Terminator 2.

Fluid in terms of movement in a game generally refers to it being free from obstruction. ie. In CoD, if I want to mantle over something waist high, I have to run up to it, press a button and the game stops me, takes control away to play an animation of me climbing over, then when it finishes I can move again. Contrast that to BF3's vaulting, you sprint toward and object, press the button and it vaults you over without the loss of momentum or control that you suffer in CoD.

Take that again vs games like Brink and Mirror's Edge (particularly the latter which does a better job of it) where you press the button as you're sprinting toward and object, the game realizes you're intending to leap over it and does so, if you jumped early, it will grab on the ledge and pull you up rather than dealing with old game mechanics where if you missed the jump by a millimeter, you hit the edge and fall helplessly to the ground, stripping you of any momentum you had instantly without the negative repercussions of such a loss.

When I'm using the term fluid I'm referring to momentum more so than anything else. Anything that interrupts momentum without due reason just makes the gameplay feel more clunky and restrictive than it should. Think walking into a curb in a Tom Clancy game. It's absurd that it should stop you, yet it does. Clunky, restrictive, not smooth, not fluid.

And as for the actual definition of Fluid, it's meant more than the scientific definition for many, many, MANY years. In fact, the original definition of the word WASN'T the scientific definition you're familiar with, the noun came later. The adjective predates it.

fluid

—adj
2. capable of flowing and easily changing shape
3. of, concerned with, or using a fluid or fluids
4. constantly changing or apt to change
5. smooth in shape or movement; flowing

If you're going to be a grammar Nazi, you'll have to do your homework first.

9. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:25 Teddy

Gunz wrote on Dec 2, 2011, 00:22:
So... when I first saw dev diary shorts on Xbox Live (when the game was mid development)they talked a LOT about the context-sensitive, one-button-activated, vault/slide/wall walk maneuvers you could pull off using nothing but the game geometry -- ala run up to a laser trip wire, hit the magic button, and you do a cool move like leap and tumble over it... or slide under it. Did they keep that rather cool looking feature in the game or did they dump it and pretend it never existed?

It's there. Sadly, for some reason they decided to make you unlock the other body types, with lightweight being the last, so you didn't really get to experience it in it's fullest unless you bothered to play the game enough to unlock that (which wasn't all that far in, but still felt like a chore getting there to me).

It has issues, but when you get the hang of it, it's a pretty damn cool idea if you ask me.

7. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 00:21 Teddy

Bucky wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 23:49:
The only good thing about Brink is that it has made me much more cautious when it comes to pre-orders.

I haven't been so disappointed by a game in a long, long time.

Don't know about it being the only good thing... I think the fluid movement system in Brink is a step in the right direction and something the FPS genre in general desperately needs. Just about everything else in the game fell flat on it's face, but playing the levels as a lightweight with the ability to climb over high walls and fences, wall jump/walk to get to otherwise unreachable areas...

That's the sort of freedom that could help the genre break away from the overly restrictive feel of movement in most shooters these days. Battlefield 3 took a note from it with it's fluid vaulting, which while it behaves oddly on occasion is a very nice step forward from the old walk up to item, stop, press ACTION key to mantle, watch animation, stop, then go.

Between Brink and Mirror's Edge, they brought a lot of new ideas to movement in general in first person games. I just pray that innovation like that doesn't get overlooked just because the games sold poorly thanks mostly to other faults.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
70. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 17:06 Teddy

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2011, 11:23:
Really? I never bother with daggers because it's too much hassle. Everything dies in max 3 arrows when stealthed. Of course, with all items and perks included, my bow does (IIRC) 130 damage, plus 40 from all the extras, then another 50 from decent poisons, and then x3 for the stealth crit.

Not to many things have (130+40)x3 + 50 = 560 hitpoints.

I'll see your 560 hitpoints of bow damage and raise you a backstab from my blade of woe. 2(29 * 15) = 870 damage, add another 50 if you want to bother with poisons, but generally the only ones that seem to live past one are Centurion Masters.

Ideally I could forge a new blade that does more and enchant it higher, but I haven't found a reason to bother yet, and that's on Master difficulty.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched
18. Re: Skyrim Patched Dec 1, 2011, 00:05 Teddy

Creston wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 23:06:
It's a FUBAR patch. Don't get it.

Wait until 1.3, which will undoubtedly having nothing in it except "Makes the game ready for the first DLC!!!11!One!1!"

Bethesda, you fucking SUCK at patching.

Creston

If you say so. Hasn't caused any problems for me.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Sells 8M
11. Re: Battlefield 3 Sells 8M Nov 30, 2011, 01:31 Teddy

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 01:19:
mag wrote on Nov 30, 2011, 00:15:
I was pretty stoked for the game, but murmurs about smaller maps and loss of the commander position and fewer classes than BF2 pretty much killed my interest in the game. Tying it to Origin and making you start it from the web browser were nails in the coffin

Fewer classes than BF2? WTF are you talking about? Also, the lack of a commander is OK as mortars replaced artillery and BF3 is more squad based.

BF2 Classes:

Anti-tank
Assault
Engineer
Medic
Sniper
Spec-Ops
Support

BF3 Classes:

Assault
Engineer
Recon
Support

So yeah... less classes. Frankly, I haven't missed commander at all, far too many idiots using it and people using it only to help their own personal friends while leaving the rest of the team with no assistance in my experience.

News Comments > Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art
2. Re: Rainbow 6 Patriots Details; Art Nov 28, 2011, 22:29 Teddy

Prez wrote on Nov 28, 2011, 21:56:
So piracy is so bad that Ghost Recon has to be a free-2-play abomination, but not for Rainbow Six? I'm thinking we'll be finding out soon that the PC version has been canned.

We can always hope. The abortion that concept video showed should never be released on PC.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
171. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 27, 2011, 20:09 Teddy

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 11:12:
Teddy wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 07:59:
The LAW says that Piracy, be it music, video or software IS NOT THEFT. They have plenty of categories of theft, from petty theft, grand theft, larceny, robbery, and note that NOT ONE OF THOSE CATEGORIES is piracy related. Not one.

You're welcome to ignore the personal attacks, I throw them in because you've earned them. Particularly by being such a complete and utter hypocrite. You accuse me of not bothering to read everything when you conveniently skip over the parts of everyone's posts where they explain IN DETAIL that they're well aware that piracy is wrong and illegal, yet you still accuse them of trying to rationalize or justify because they don't agree with your idiotic, incorrect (and completely proven so) definition of piracy.

You are 100% correct, legally it is not theft. That said, I don't begrudge people calling it that, because it's a colloquialism. "He stole my girlfriend" or "she took my idea" and other such things are good examples. Whether actual property or ownership is involved or not we often use "theft" and "took" and "stole" as slang terms.

I object to misuse of language in general, and I specifically object to the misuse of it when speaking about legal issues. People spreading misinformation about the law does a disservice to everyone.

The only reason these people want to call it theft is because theft has a more intrinsic negative emotional response since most people have had something stolen from them in their life. The argument is that it makes it easier to convince people that it's wrong if they can convince them that it's 'theft'. The problem with that is that it's an outright lie. It's fraudulent and they know it, and that is what I refuse to accept.

So rather than try to educate people on what the actual law is and why it's important, the industry simply lies and there are people out there that think it's OK. Worse, they do everything in their power to try and spread the lie.

This is the same industry that lies on it's taxes to screw people who did their jobs well out of royalties owed, remember. Yep, Forrest Gump was a huge financial failure, can't afford to pay you, sorry. Avatar? Yes we know it was the biggest selling movie of all time, just... eh... not big enough. Sorry.

Our industry is dying, you need to enact new laws to save us! What? We've set record profits every year for the last 10 years? Never mind that, JUST SAVE US!

Why anyone believes a word they say baffles the crap out of me.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Nov 27, 2011, 19:43 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 19:25:
You exhibited BF3 as a proper PC game and yet its console versions far eclipsed the sales numbers of the PC version.

Do you have an actual source for these numbers?

Xbox Sales top PC and PS3 combined.

Granted that doesn't take into account Origin sales since they refuse to report that number, but when you also take into account the player count and take note that PC players are, on average, outnumbered 3:1 by console players, then you can fairly easily extrapolate the difference in sales.

The gap is narrower than it is in many other games (MW3 for example) but it's still quite obvious that the console versions significantly outsold the PC version.

News Comments > No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
169. Re: No PC Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Nov 27, 2011, 07:59 Teddy

^Drag0n^ wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 16:38:
Teddy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 14:05:
No one is arguing whether it's illegal or immoral, so there's no justifying of anything going on, you utter fucking retard, They're arguing the fact that for some reason you (and apparently some other idiot on here) seem incapable of understanding the difference.

And perhaps you should not just read one of my posts and go off half cocked, but rather read the conversation before throwing the verbal filth around. Had you done so, you would have seen I actually acknowledged that, but pointed out my reason for posting that link was more to what the US Attorney said to the media, and the ramifications it has going forward; so if you're going to quote the article, be sure you quote the relevant part:

"'Music piracy is stealing and, unless you want to end up in a federal prison, don’t do it,' said U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg in a statement trumpeting the verdict."

I've pretty much come to expect comments at that level from you, which is why I really don't care about the personal attacks you throw in as well.

QED.

^D^

And as a gamer, you should know full well that what an attorney 'thinks' is completely irrelevant to the law. Ask Jack Thompson about that one. He was grandstanding and spouting the exact words his clients wanted him to, nothing more and not even close to a comment that in any way shape or form defines the law. Hell, Jack Thompson called video games 'Murder Simulators', he was an attorney at the time, I guess it must be true right?

The LAW says that Piracy, be it music, video or software IS NOT THEFT. They have plenty of categories of theft, from petty theft, grand theft, larceny, robbery, and note that NOT ONE OF THOSE CATEGORIES is piracy related. Not one.

You're welcome to ignore the personal attacks, I throw them in because you've earned them. Particularly by being such a complete and utter hypocrite. You accuse me of not bothering to read everything when you conveniently skip over the parts of everyone's posts where they explain IN DETAIL that they're well aware that piracy is wrong and illegal, yet you still accuse them of trying to rationalize or justify because they don't agree with your idiotic, incorrect (and completely proven so) definition of piracy.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Jedi Consular Trailer Nov 25, 2011, 21:56 Teddy

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 21:47:
Teddy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 21:40:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 25, 2011, 18:15:
Lol, forget having a late start date, I've heard about some people waiting 6-8 hours in a queue before getting on a server.

And they didn't go to a different server because...?

If they insisted on playing on a server that had a huge wait time, that's really their own fault. Right now for example, there are only 3 servers with queues, the rest are all instant.

Ah, I found the story about it, has a screenshot of all the queues being 3-8 hours. Must have been a peak time: PC Gamer

Bizarre. I logged off and on a few times over the course of the day and my server screen never looked anything like that. That said, note that some of the servers say German, perhaps the EU servers were worse off than the NA ones.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo