Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
147. Re: etc. Jan 31, 2012, 20:42 Teddy

Draugr wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 18:13:
Prez wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 12:57:
Remember, while many christian churches will tell you "Hate the sin, love the sinner", WBC and it's ilk are carrying around signs of "God Hates Fags", "God Hates Jews", "Got Hates Obama", "Thank God for Dead Soldiers", etc.

Right on cue, the the usual fall-back for Christian-bashers: Westboro Baptist Church. They are a fringe loon group of haters that no Christian would ever associate with, and to even categorize them as Christians is offensively ignorant. Saying that they or other loon groups like them are indicative of Christianity is exactly like saying that Jerry Sandusky and other gay child predators are indicative of all homosexuals. Utter nonsense.

When did it become fashionable to answer irrational intolerance and deliberate misrepresentation with more of the same? Everyone complains about it when Christians do it but that doesn't seem to stop them from doing the exact same thing back at them. It would seem to me it's far better to rise above such nonsense rather than lower oneself to that level by responding in kind.

Well, lots of Americans have been doing this very thing to Muslims for decades, so it's not surprising to see it happen with other religions. When 9/11 happened we(speaking for america) didn't say, 'Well, those weren't REAL Muslims,' we never made a distinction, we just call them extremist, but they are still Muslim.
Using this same reasoning, Organizations like the Westboro Baptist Church, the Hutaree, or people like Timothy McVeigh are just as truly christian as the people who committed attacks on 9/11 are truly Muslim. If we make the distinction for the likes of the Westboro Baptist Church, then we should stop considering Al-Qaeda a Muslim organization.
That doesn't stop some American's from painting all Muslims with the same brush though, and then getting upset when it happens to Christians. That it extends to other religions is only natural. I don't mean to imply you are one of the people guilty of this double standard, but this is a disconnect a lot of people tend to have.

These people do what they do in the name of their religion, which they get to decide, not others. I have no right to say you aren't Christian, just as I don't have the right to say you ARE christian; my input is irrelevant to your beliefs. The same reason some people blame Muslims for 9/11 is the same reason some people would still consider people like Timothy McVeigh Christian. It may be perverted to the point of you not considering them so (Just like there are Muslim who wouldn't consider members of Al-Qaeda to be Muslims,) but you can't stop them from acting in the name of their chosen god, and in turn tainting the 'brand.'

Exactly. It's a cheap cop-out to try and disavow people like WBC and declare them non-Christians just to try and keep your concept of what a Christian is in check. They are lunatics, they are fringe, but they ARE CHRISTIANS.

I'll also point out that I never once said they were indicative of all Christianity. I made it VERY clear that they were an extreme example of what Christianity CAN be, as a tool to display just how varied behavior and belief can be within Christianity as a whole.

Again, there's a huge spectrum of behavior among Christians. Not all of it is good and loving, and not all of it is evil and hate-filled. The majority lay somewhere in between, hopefully more of them leaning toward the good side, but who knows, really.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BF3 Patch Plans Summary
24. Re: BF3 Patch Plans Summary Jan 31, 2012, 20:17 Teddy

Sepharo wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 19:58:
Marvin T. Martian wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 18:13:
1st BF game I ever skipped buying, and don't regret it for a second after playing the alpha and beta. Everytime some news is released about the game, it only confirms just how right I was.

When you're not playing the game it's pretty easy to only take in negatives.

Allow me to list a postive to counterbalance: It's tons of fun and looks great.

It's also very easy to only take in negatives when that's all you want to see/hear. Only reason he reads these threads is pretty obvious from his posts. He's only reading them to look for reasons to validate his refusal to purchase, thus citing positives to him is a waste of time. He'll either dismiss them outright or come up with some excuse as to why they're invalid.

Sort of like Cutter in every SWTOR thread, only less obnoxious.

News Comments > BF3 Patch Plans Summary
9. Re: BF3 Patch Plans Summary Jan 31, 2012, 13:56 Teddy

Bhruic wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 13:54:
I'm glad to see the MAV riding and random deaths are being fixed, but honestly, that seems like a pretty small patch list, considering some of the issues remaining in the game.

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy the game, but I'd hope they were working on it more than it looks like they are working on it.

Bear in mind that this isn't an offical patch list from DICE or EA. This is just a list of things that a fansite was able to glean from twitter comments of devs.

News Comments > etc.
138. Re: etc. Jan 31, 2012, 12:43 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 17:21:
I can tell you that hate is not something true Christians partake in.

And this is precisely my point. To try and justify your claim of generalization, you need a qualifier, in this case "TRUE" Christans.

I'll give you a counter example. The Westboro Baptist Church. I assure you, everyone involved with that misguided and hate filled group thinks they are TRUE Christians too. The Army of God is another obvious example, and there are many more. While these are extreme examples, chosen to highlight the differences in beliefs, the Christian community as a whole is not a polarized community. There aren't the "good" Christians who are wholly nice and loving people, and then the "bad" Christians who are evil and hate filled. There is a full spectrum of belief and behavior. Not all are as extreme as the examples listed, but there are plenty in the middle ground.

Remember, while many christian churches will tell you "Hate the sin, love the sinner", WBC and it's ilk are carrying around signs of "God Hates Fags", "God Hates Jews", "Got Hates Obama", "Thank God for Dead Soldiers", etc.

As far as those you met in churches, see what I said before about how people tend to behave while in churches. All piety, purity and love. You'll rarely truly 'meet' a person in a church. You meet the facade they want everyone to see and hear. Who they are outside the church is a far better test, but as with anyone Christian or not, unless they know you well enough to let that facade fall, you may never know who they really are.

A simple example of that is a man I once worked with. While I knew him at work, he was the nicest guy you could imagine. Always there to help, quick with a joke or a laugh. He even helped set up various charity efforts we were working on at the time.

Then one day he didn't show up for work, thought it was odd of him not to call. The next day, he was on the news (live), holding a woman hostage with a gun downtown. Apparently he had horribly beaten his wife and children and was on the run. The SWAT team put a bullet through his head on live TV just as he was about to shoot the random woman he'd grabbed as a shield. Point is, you can never really know how good or evil people may be based on what they show in public. Oh, and incidentally, he was also a Christian.

News Comments > etc.
118. Re: etc. Jan 30, 2012, 16:56 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 14:59:
It has been my experience that, generally-speaking, Christians are intolerant of homosexuality but do not hate homosexuals.

Christianity is far too large a group of people with vastly disparate beliefs even within their own denominations to consider anything "generally" true of them.

I suspect if you ask an actual Homosexual about their experiences with Christians, you might find the answer very different than asking the Christians that you know what they think of homosexuality.

I've had plenty of experience with "Christians" who profess purity, honesty, integrity and love while inside a church but once outside in the real world, they prove themselves to be very different people. Conversely, I've met some truly wonderful people that are Christian.

Just because someone calls themselves a Christian, doesn't mean they're -good- Christians, nor does it give any indication that they believe or behave in the same manner as you would expect.

That all said, I agree with the initial point and applaud someone actually pointing out that words do indeed have different meanings.

News Comments > Minecraft Interview
12. Re: Minecraft Interview Jan 29, 2012, 21:43 Teddy

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 21:36:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 29, 2012, 18:47:
In any case... I have zero interest in Minecraft.

Guess what! Notch doesn't care. Nor does anyone else here. Get over yourself. That self-important attitude belongs on Facebook, along with all the other conceited dullards who think anyone else gives a fuck about what they think.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Guess what! wtf_man doesn't care. Nor does anyone else here. Get over yourself. That self-important attitude belongs on Facebook, along with all the other conceited dullards who think anyone else gives a fuck about what they think.

Thank you, have a nice day.

/mockery

Just so I understand right... What he thinks isn't welcome here as far as you're concerned, but what you think is just fine to post here all you want? Newsflash, you just posted your own self-important and conceited opinion.

/insert obligatory "Don't presume to speak for me" comment as well.

Needless to say, get over yourself, hypocrite.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus
3. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - SOL: Exodus Jan 25, 2012, 22:22 Teddy

There's a purely awesome quote on one of the screenshots on that site.

"The People have risen up against the COD!"

How dare they oppose our aquatic overlords!?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong?
10. Re: Battlefield 3 Bans Gone Wrong? Jan 24, 2012, 14:22 Teddy

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 14:19:
Remind me why I want to use Origin again?

Remind me why you're stupid enough to interject Origin bashing into a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with it?

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
46. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 16:27 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 15:46:
Why is it that whenever a new MMO comes out there are people who actually root for it to fail?

Guilty. I can't speak for others here, but in my case it's because I utterly detest all MMO's. They are the worst thing to happen to modern gaming this side of Activision in my opinion.

That's pretty pathetic, don't you think? If you don't like them, don't play them. There's plenty of other games out there, but instead you desperately hope they fail so that the people who DO enjoy playing them get screwed?

45. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 16:24 Teddy

Creston wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:58:
Doombringer wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:37:
Creston wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 23:18:
and again Bioware punishes people for playing their broken game in a way that's allowed by the system. Creston

Because this is the first time this has ever happened in any MMO, ever, and Bioware is the first developer to punish players for "creative use of game mechanics" ...

RIGHT. If I had a dollar for any time a developer had to rollback or take action against a player, guild or raid group for cheesing a loot system, Honor system, or in general using a bug to their advantage... I'd be a rich man.

Don't make Bioware out to be some huge badguy here. This happens very often, in many MMOs. Just recently, Blizzard took action against raids who cheesed the LFR loot system, exploiting it, in patch 4.3... a patch that was on PTR for weeks upon weeks.

Fair enough, but have the other MMOs ever BANNED players for it? Not for cheating, but for playing a clearly broken mechanic?

I have no problem with them rolling back the ill-gotten gains, but why are people being banned for playing the game?

Creston

Yes. WoW banned several guilds (the people involved in the actual incidents) for abusing obvious bugs in boss encounters.

You're not "playing the game", you're abusing a mechanic in such a way that it detracts from the enjoyment of other people who also paid to play the game. Griefing is technically "playing the game" by your definition. It's also harassment and something that will get you temporarily banned in just about every MMO in existence if it's proven you're doing it, which isn't that hard to do in a game that logs everything you do in the first place.

Just like the people who intentionally abused the bug early in Battlefield 3 where you fell through the terrain but could still see/shoot through it. If they were intentionally doing it, they got banned from any decently moderated server for doing so, and they deserved it, every one. This is no different.

19. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 07:41 Teddy

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 07:00:
So people who were playing the game, within the rules of the game, will be penalised for the lack of forsight by the patch creators / developers?

Glad I cancelled my account.

If what those people were doing doesn't SCREAM exploit to you, then I'm glad you cancelled your account too. One less retard looking to abuse game mechanics to ruin other peoples' experiences.

I'll bet you're a hypocrite too and were one of the people screaming for bans over people that used exploits in CoD or Battlefield.

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
163. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 20, 2012, 12:49 Teddy

Verno wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 11:15:
As for TOR itself, most of my friends who hopped in for the initial zerg rush are already planning on quitting. It's kind of a shame to see these things flame out so quickly, hopefully the licensed content keeps the masses coming back for awhile as this failing will put a lot of people out of work.

That's a pity, but it's the exact opposite of the experience I've had. Every one of my friends that moved to ToR is still having a great time playing through multiple character story-lines and hasn't shown any intention of leaving.

162. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 20, 2012, 12:47 Teddy

Admitedly I havent played TOR but most of the complaints are aimed at the fact that its basically a single player game with some MMO elements. Something that WoW wasnt at LAUNCH.

So again as someone else has pointed out, you've not played the game at all, yet you think you know what it's like? I have no problem with people disliking a game that they actually tried, this is just sheer stupidity, though.

It featured a huge open world, instances, PvP areas, taverns, and a shitload of other stuff including some end game content "gasp!" AT LAUNCH.

And what part of that does ToR not have? Let's see, it has instances all the way up from level 10 to 50, it has hard mode instances for max level players (WoW didn't have this at launch). It has 2 raids which also have hard modes (WoW had 1 at launch, no hard mode) It has open PvP areas on multiple planets, it has a dedicated PvP zone (which is presently buggy as hell). It has dedicated PvP equipment and rewards (WoW did not have at launch) While the planets are instanced, combine them all and you have roughly the same amount of free roaming area as WoW had initially as well.

Edit: ToR also has multiple PvP battlegrounds (WoW started with exactly 0)

What exactly are you suggesting it's "missing" that would make it a "real" MMO?

Frankly the people who are complaining it's a single player game are likely just idiots with no friends that are expecting the game to make people play with them. There are plenty of group instances, plenty of group quests. If people choose to play alone, it's because they prefer to, or they can't find anyone that wants to play with them.

138. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 22:11 Teddy

Prez wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 22:02:
Wow- this thread took off all of a sudden.

Some observations:

There's a reason that Blue's descriptor for a person with a low post count is "suspect". There's double the reason to be suspicious when said suspect's few posts are belittling others for not liking game 'A' or saying something negative about game 'B'. You suspects know who you are; no reason to name names.

The only thing that having a high post count tells about a person is that they like coming to a particular forum and spend a lot of time discussing things there. I never got the whole "says the guy with 80 million posts" silliness. What does that even mean?

Finally, if your first entry in a thread is to say " good riddance" to others explaining why they are quitting a game and to call everyone "amoebas", AND you are one of the aforementioned "suspects", don't expect to be welcomed with open arms. We'd love to have some new blood around here, but if you come across as a close-minded belligerent shill, I doubt most people are going to be too interested in what you have to say.

Right. Close-minded belligerent shills aren't welcome. Only Close-minded belligerent cynics belong here.

132. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 21:30 Teddy

ASeven wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:23:
if we're going OT then let's go fully. Waiting for Monaco to come out. Their new trailer makes me wish it's out now, this game has the potential of being bloody, off-the-scale, fun.

Now that looks interesting. I'm not sure I dig the way it displays blacked out areas of view. It's very visually distracting when it doesn't need to be to create the same gameplay effect. Though I suppose it does give the game a unique look.

130. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 21:21 Teddy

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:17:
Teddy wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:15:
Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:12:
So I'm guessing Blue's children are:

Sephroth
Teddy
nin

A few accounts were passed down to children or friends right?

Goodness, someone on the internet questioned my age? What to do, what to do... I've never encountered this before...

You've missed quite a few insults there Teddy

Really? That's your response? Oh wait, I've got this one:

Says the guy that has 83 posts.

That'll show him.

125. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 21:15 Teddy

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 21:12:
So I'm guessing Blue's children are:

Sephroth
Teddy
nin

A few accounts were passed down to children or friends right?

Goodness, someone on the internet questioned my age? What to do, what to do... I've never encountered this before...

118. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 21:04 Teddy

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:57:
Teddy wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:55:
Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:50:
I'm confused here enlighten me on what boundary I've crossed?

Besides the fact that I've piqued your self interest.

I'm genuinely curious what sort of idiot uses "Says the guy with <insert inane detail here>" as a primary argument while actually thinking he's made a legitimate point.

Wow. The fact that someone had 20000 posts here is inane.

Calling me an idiot.

You take the cake there friend.

Because you've somehow proven that you're not? And yes, someone having X number of posts on bluesnews is an inane detail to bring up in an argument.

For reference, inane means stupid and insignificant. So yes, inane.

113. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:55 Teddy

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:50:
I'm confused here enlighten me on what boundary I've crossed?

Besides the fact that I've piqued your self interest.

I'm genuinely curious what sort of idiot uses "Says the guy with <insert inane detail here>" as a primary argument while actually thinking he's made a legitimate point.

109. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 20:47 Teddy

Pyloff wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:43:
nin wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 20:40:
Last word dude.

What does that have to do with you having a STD? And why did you have to tell everyone about it?

sayith the guy with 24000 posts

Oh, oh, I've got this one.

Says the guy with 77 posts.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo