Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart
9. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 3, 2012, 16:18 Teddy

Shineyguy wrote on Mar 3, 2012, 15:14:
For years, fans of tactical shooters have been crying out for someone to make a quality, hardcore, tactical shooter.

So what the hell is Arma then?

Not as well received as people who play it would like to think?

Largely inaccessible due to poor control/UI design?

Not a CQB infantry game like this one is intended to be?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
109. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 18:54 Teddy

Prez wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 15:02:
Except that I'm not the one that said it. I'm repeating what someone else brought as their argument. To be a strawman argument, I'd have to be misrepresenting what was said. I'm not.

You deliberately used it in a manner completely out of context from the way it was said, so yeah, strawman. In fact, I can't think of a more perfect illustration of the deliberate misrepresentation of an argument that constitutes the exact kind of unfair debating that makes the internet such a waste of time to debate on.

I took nothing out of context. I stated previously that he had agreed to a software agreement wherein the provider had given themselves the 'right' to scan a system to provide better service. He then attempted to oversimplify and draw an ad absurdum argument wherein rape was equivalent to scanning hard drives within the context of a software agreement.

That's the exact context the argument was made, and the exact context I took it when I stated that EA was being made out to be the equivalent of rapists.

If you can't see that in obvious clarity, then yes, debating is a waste of time.

103. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 14:55 Teddy

Prez wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 09:40:
...keep on raging about how evil EA is and how they're somehow equivalent to rapists and whatnot.

THAT would be a strawman. Thanks for the illustration.

Except that I'm not the one that said it. I'm repeating what someone else brought as their argument. To be a strawman argument, I'd have to be misrepresenting what was said. I'm not.

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:35:
Oh yeah, they could put in their EULA that they have the right to come over whenever they want to and rape my family. Somehow I doubt that that'd be considered okay.

Creston

96. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 29, 2012, 07:47 Teddy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 16:38:
Teddy wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 15:28:
You'd have to push pretty damn hard in a court of law to prove any form of damage actually occurred from this to gain any measure of recompense.
The privacy act and the law governing computer misuse here in Canada covers things that you don't specifically authorize on your PC. So, if they are indeed scanning your PC for it, they're breaking the law and committing a criminal act. Probably in Germany too, canada's privacy law is modeled after germany's. Damage doesn't matter, all that's required it intent or action without the users consent.

Then take them to court and try it. I don't believe for one second that you'd even come close to winning. If anything you'd just be throwing more precedent behind the legality of EULA's when you come to court with the "I know they told me but I didn't bother to read it." defense. Works well in contract disputes too, I hear.

What's more, you don't even have any evidence that it's actually happened. You're just relying on hearsay and presumption. Has is not occurred to anyone that they got the information directly from Steam/Valve? As in the company? Just because you bought an EA game through Steam doesn't change the fact that you bought the game FROM EA, THROUGH Steam. Guaranteed EA has a record of the sale.

It's clearly not searching the registry for games, nor is it searching your HD, despite the whines of the masses. Origin came up with games that I've never had installed on this machine, ever, ones that also have exactly zero registry entries.

For all we know, Valve gave them the information necessary to do this. But hey, by all means, keep on raging about how evil EA is and how they're somehow equivalent to rapists and whatnot. Don't let facts get in the way of your rhetoric.

70. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 15:28 Teddy

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:35:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:33:
Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:31:

Is a EULA binding if I never read it? Many law professors and judges say that it can't be binding if people are expected to never read it. It's still a legal gray area.

Creston
No. Neither is the part about waiving your right to a trial or court and going directly to binding arbitration, at least not here. But that's in their eula too.

Oh yeah, they could put in their EULA that they have the right to come over whenever they want to and rape my family. Somehow I doubt that that'd be considered okay.

Just because they put shit in their EULA doesn't make it automatic law, even though certain corrupt asshole judges are trying their very fucking hardest to make it so.

Creston

Pretty heavily leaning on a strawman there. No, they cannot create an EULA that gives them the right to commit a crime against you (ie. rape). That doesn't mean they can't create one that gives them the right to do something that is not a criminal act. (ie. scanning your Hard Drive for EA games to provide links through their own service for games you already own).

You'd have to push pretty damn hard in a court of law to prove any form of damage actually occurred from this to gain any measure of recompense.

21. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 11:12 Teddy

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:00:
I'm pretty sure that I never allowed EA to scan my system at will,

Origin EULA wrote:
2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services

If you agreed to Origin's EULA, then you did exactly that.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta FAQ
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta FAQ Feb 23, 2012, 23:42 Teddy

My reply was from noreply@guildwars2.com and I didn't click on any links from emails, went straight to the site, downloaded app, ran, etc.

So assuming it's actually FROM noreply@guildwars2.com and that's not just a spoofed address, then you should be fine.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta FAQ
14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta FAQ Feb 23, 2012, 19:11 Teddy

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 17:22:

Yes, you CAN finish the game solo and max out solo. No, you CANNOT do every single side-mission or challenge solo—some are for groups only.

Creston

As I'm reading it, the question is, how MUCH content are you able to do as a single player, vs how much requires a group. It's one thing to say "You can get to max level solo!" without mentioning, that you do so buy killing 1,000,000 boars and missing out on all the actual fun stuff in the game.

That said, the original Guild Wars made it fairly doable playing solo (if you count having NPC minions/heroes as playing solo). You were able to run through all the game content that way. Some parts were absurdly difficult with the dim-witted minions, but they were doable.

My impression thus far of GW2 is that they're not going to have minions. That the main world and the story that you play through there is all soloable, but the dungeons are all group only. The 'meta-events' that occur out in the game world look somewhat similar to Rift's events (with the idea behind them expanded upon) where you come across something happening and whether or not you take part is up to you. No group/raid joining necessary, no schedules or preparation required.

Anyways in short, 'finishing the game' in the way they're referring to it means finishing the main story arc and reaching max level. It does NOT mean experiencing ALL content in the game.

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Announced
2. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Announced Feb 21, 2012, 16:16 Teddy

Wildone wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 16:02:
lol another mech fail. Guys in suits with chunky arms or the 2 legged reverse leg macross robot/ED209 rip offs/sigh

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

ED209 rip off? The Battletech universe including designs and artwork which the Mechwarrior games are set in predate Robo-cop. ED209 was a direct rip off of their designs, not the other way around.

News Comments > Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale
12. Re: Killing Floor Sells 1M; On Sale Feb 15, 2012, 00:11 Teddy

WarpCrow wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 23:44:
Eh... I probably would have bought it before now except for the fact that Tripwire saw fit to censor it here in Germany. I got around that for RO2 but it's a bit of a hassle every time.

Saw fit to? Isn't that an obligation under law there? I was under the impression that the regulations in Germany were more strict than most other places in the world and thus game companies MUST provide a censored version, or not sell at all there.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
30. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 14, 2012, 22:35 Teddy

born2expire wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 21:09:
I don't get it, I've tried 3 times to get into the original ME, but could never be bothered for more than an hour all three times. Got ME2 for free, tired it for an hour, yawn. And after 30 mins I alt F4'ed this, yup its Mass Effect, i don't get the appeal.

Bioware still sucks. Do a PROPER Baulders Gate sequel/reboot and don't use the Bioware formula (ie interactive movie) and then I'll be interested.

Plenty of people enjoy them so there's clearly a market for them. I'm just not sure what it is, myself. As a shooter, this game is absolutely awful with some of the most poorly thought out and frustrating mechanics I've ever seen. As an RPG it's character development is superficial at best.

The horde mode multiplayer dealie is entertaining enough, up until enemies start lobbing grenades at you and makes obvious the failings of a catchall button that does like 9 different things. Whoever thought up the idea of having the spacebar be the run button, and the dodge/roll button, and the cover button, and the leap to other cover button, AND the use button all rolled into one needs to be fired or at least moved away from any job where they can influence UI or control mechanics. That all aside, that side of the game is entertaining enough for free, but I'm sure as hell not buying it.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
61. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 23:38 Teddy

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 19:28:
Teddy wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 18:53:
Yifes wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:40:
Just curious, but what functionality does Steam provide that Origin doesn't?

Voice Chat
Multi-user chat windows
Game Recommendation system
Community Groups System
Steam Workshop
Patch Notes (product update) page for every game
Videos and/or Screenshots for every game available
Metacritic rating integration for most titles
Integration of Major Video Game news sites (PC Gamer, Eurogamer, Kotaku, etc)
Screenshot sharing system
Integrated Video Driver update System
Built in game backup system to avoid repeated downloads

Some of my favorite options on top of the ones you listed:

Flawless auto-resume on game downloads that actually works
Auto-patching feature (with the option to disable it if you prefer older builds).
Easy as pie game installation from archives again that actually works
Notification of which friend is playing which game with one-click join functionality.
A working (finally) offline mode.
Easy and robust gifting and trading features.

Unless something has changed since I tried it, Origin offered none of these.

Origin does have an offline mode, it's one of the options in it's menu (gear icon). It also has auto-patching, though it's an all or nothing feature in Origin, whereas in Steam you can select whether to auto-update on a per-game basis.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
53. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 18:53 Teddy

Yifes wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 16:40:
Just curious, but what functionality does Steam provide that Origin doesn't?

Voice Chat
Multi-user chat windows
Game Recommendation system
Community Groups System
Steam Workshop
Patch Notes (product update) page for every game
Videos and/or Screenshots for every game available
Metacritic rating integration for most titles
Integration of Major Video Game news sites (PC Gamer, Eurogamer, Kotaku, etc)
Screenshot sharing system
Integrated Video Driver update System
Built in game backup system to avoid repeated downloads

Shall I go on?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
45. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 11, 2012, 23:07 Teddy

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 11:15:
Why would anyone want to play this when JA2 and the 1.13 mod are still eminently playable.

And people wonder why developers don't make more games like this, when people refuse to even try new games in favor of playing 10 year old games.

The reason I'm playing it is because I bought it and I tend to like playing games I bought. The reason I bought it is because I actually like developers to make games in this particular genre, instead of just giving up on the whole subsection of games people won't buy anything new when "JA2 is still eminently playable".

Incidentally, people are already making rudimentary mod tools. The first of which allows you to modify the stats of mercs, so you can create one to your liking out of the lower tier mercs. Not as nice as having an in-game system to create a balanced custom merc, and you'll have to make do with that particular merc's picture and voice for now, but it's a start and a way to get one with a unique set of stats and perks that you like.

41. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 11, 2012, 00:01 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:16:
What else can i compare it to but the top reference.. true its a mod but it still enhances the core game this remake is supposed to be remaking.

Thats the first thing a remake should have taken inspiration from, no? Modders literally already made a JA2 remake, and thats JA2 1.13 - the standard reference for this genre with no equal.

As someone else has mentioned, it would be awesome if they could have done this but at the same time, that mod has been in development for 7 years. Yes, just the mod alone. Considering that, plus the near 5 year development time for JA2 and you've got a development timeline that is impossible to match for any but the largest and most well funded studios, and none of them would be willing to spend that much time on a genre that isn't in vogue at the moment, not to mention on a single platform.

I'd love to have seen a lot of the features from 1.13 make it into the game, I'd love to have seen most of the features taken out from vanilla in the game, but neither is really likely to happen. For now I'll enjoy the game for what it is, and I'll keep bugging the developers to implement new (or old) features.

They've already said they've not ruled out fog of war as an option in the future. They said they tried it and it 'wasn't fun', which is a pretty idiotic thing to say, but with enough cajoling we might get them to put it back in as an option at the very least.

To each their own, but unlike some here I'd rather support a developer that is remaking or continuing titles I enjoy and encourage them to try and improve, rather than refuse to buy and insult the devs until no one bothers making these games again, ever.

As I said earlier in the thread, the game has been decent fun for me and as far as I'm concerned, it's a solid game. It's not as good as the original, but if people are only going to accept a game as "good" if it's better than arguably the best tactical game of all time, then all they've done is guarantee their own perpetual disappointment.

39. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 23:41 Teddy

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:07:
JoeNapalm wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 10:13:
Eh, I'm a huge JA fan...and amazingly, it's not the Real-Time-with-Pause thing that bothers me, so far (BE5, while tragically flawed, convinced me that RTWP can work).

What is keeping me from playing the game, right now, is that Back in Action, as a remake, has a whole laundry list of major features that they simply tore out.

yeh, i'll add that it doesnt have stealth mode, or climbing.. which are entirely fucking essential to JA2.. as well as destructible walls, etc, that you mentioned

You can add that all you want, it doesn't make it true. There is climbing, but yes only in specific locations (ladders), so you can still get on the majority of the rooftops. It'd be nice you could climb just about anything, but that doesn't make the current ability to climb on top of buildings suddenly not exist.

Destructible walls are the same deal, they exist, but only in specific locations. Not ideal, but again, they exist.

As for stealth mode, there's no 'mode' anymore. It's built into the entire game system. The closer you are to lights and the front of an enemy's field of view, the more likely they are to see you. The stance you choose (standing firing position, running, crouching and prone) all define how much noise you make along with your stealth stat. As well, there's a camouflage system wherein the clothing you're wearing affects your stealth level if you're in the right area for it (urban camo doesn't help as much in forests, and vice versa).

There's also a bar on your character icon that shows your current likelihood to be noticed.

The stealth system is VASTLY improved over the original JA2's, particularly when combined with the camo system.

But yeah, go ahead and keep making stuff up. Don't let the truth get in the way of your game bashing.

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 10, 2012, 00:48 Teddy

space captain wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:31:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 00:25:
it isn't a bad game.

thats wrong.. it is a bad game

Are you planning on filling this entire thread with childish responses like this? Your opinion is that it's bad, we get it. His opinion is counter to that, so is mine. I don't think it's a bad game at all. It's not a great game, but it's been decent fun so far for me.

The RTwP has worked fine for me thus far. I'd prefer turn based, and there's plenty of things in the game that I'd like to see done differently, but they did keep a lot of depth that doesn't exist in other RTS games. Sunglasses improve vision during the day and detract at night, vice versa for night-vision. Multiple stances affect accuracy, visibility and noise made while moving. Tons of weapons with specific addons, like optics, silencers, etc.

The game does a lot of things right as well as several things very wrong. It's not going to be for everyone. It'll tide me over for a short time while I wait for another interesting title, and really, it's $40 vs the standard $60 price tag for new games these days.

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Jagged Alliance - Back in Action Feb 9, 2012, 23:09 Teddy

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 21:07:
Thanks for the comments, I was waiting for reviews and comments, this wasn't a pre-order for me.

And they already have 3 DLC out for this?

So far as I can tell, those are actually the various pre-order bonuses so people can buy them afterward if they want. The desert combat one is the same as the steam pre-order bonus that was offered.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
24. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 5, 2012, 23:04 Teddy

Lorcin wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 19:04:
I appear to have wondered into a parallel universe - one where Space Marine tops any kind of sales chart. I shall call it the facepalm universe and hope to get home soon.

66% off is a powerful motivator. Put just about any title with a decent name to it at that discount and it'll be number one for that week. It'll disappear just as quickly next week when there isn't a sale on it.

News Comments > Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives
34. Re: Reckoning Dev: Piracy Prevents PC Exclusives Feb 2, 2012, 16:18 Teddy

PropheT wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 13:05:
What major non-MMO PC-exclusive games are there anymore since Titan Quest besides Crysis, a game that was also pirated to hell and back?

ANNO 2070
Heroes of Might and Magic VI
Starcraft 2
Shogun: Total War 2
Civilization V

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo