Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
77. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 15:34 Teddy

wtf_man wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 09:13:
I won't debate whether that thinking is correct... but the bottom line is pretty much all Obsidian had to do was come up with the content.

Which is pretty much what I said. Changes to the engine and mechanics of the game were pretty much nil, which cuts out a decent chunk of development time and resources. Apparently as a concept, that's either confusing, or somehow insulting to people to state outright though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 07:41 Teddy

Acleacius wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 02:54:
Teddy wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:40:
And considering a vast amount of resources from FO3 were reused in FO:NV, including the engine with very few modifications, it SHOULD have taken them half the resources and time to make NV.
Fine Teddy, give me a comparison, what's your point of reference, what game and budget achieved your results? Quantify.

CJ Parker that post was really to ridiculous to even bother.

What game and budget achieved my results? As in, what games were produced for significantly less cost than the original in significantly less time while using the same base engine? You really need the answer to that one? Pretty much any Call of Duty following Modern Warfare, all based on the same base engine with minor alterations where the bulk of the work was on 'new' content.

The point was very simple. When the base engine is already made for you, and all you're doing is throwing in new content with a tweak or two here and there in terms of technical differences then the game is going to take significantly less time and cost significantly less to make than one where the base engine needs to be created or needs drastic alteration to use. Less time coding, less time debugging = less cost. It's pretty basic logic.

38. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 23:52 Teddy

Paranoid Jack wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 22:06:
I'm sitting here trying to figure out all these "buggy as shit" comments. FNV was ten times better in almost every aspect compared to F3. I'm baffled. I never got far into Fallout 3 because the constant crashes drove me bat-shit crazy. It started thirty seconds outside of Vault 13. And after suffering through the most horrid tutorial phase of any game created... I shudder to think about starting F3 over as a baby.

Bethesda claimed it was my sound card. I removed the drivers and the card itself and the game continued to crash randomly no matter what I tried. I just shelved it and after they patched it I'd try to play it over and over again always giving up.

If it were not for FNV I doubt I would have bought Skyrim. My opinion of Bethesda was so low I didn't think I wanted to suffer through another crash-fest. And I remember Morrowind and Oblivion being buggy too. Though nothing compared to the mess F3 was.

After playing dozens of hours of FNV I think it crashed to desktop maybe three times. I even played it on my older machine to see if it was the machine or the program. FNV played fine on the same machine F3 was extremely unstable on.

I know Obsidian makes a lot of bad decisions when it comes to the deals they sign with the Devils of the industry... but damn. They need to start learning from these things. Maybe they should have flown in the gaming media from around the world... paying for all the food, booze, and prostitutes they could possibly handle like Bethesda did when they started up the hype machine for the F3 release?

You should know by now that any individual's experience with a game is not guaranteed to be the norm. There's people out there in the exact opposite position that you're in where FO3 ran flawlessly and NV crashed repeatedly.

Incidentally did anyone actually follow Chris Avellone before? It seems suspicious to me that his twitter account simply vanished as soon as this story hit and that was the only evidence of this story being 'true' in the first place.

34. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 23:40 Teddy

Acleacius wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 23:03:
This is bullshit and so is bethesda. Middlefinger

Obsidian had less than half the resources and time bethesda took on Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas was a better game by all accounts for the limited time and money they had budgeted.

And considering a vast amount of resources from FO3 were reused in FO:NV, including the engine with very few modifications, it SHOULD have taken them half the resources and time to make NV.

News Comments > Diablo III May 15th
144. Re: Diablo III May 15th Mar 15, 2012, 20:24 Teddy

Fibrocyte wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 20:15:

Ehhh... it's equally funny to see people complaining about a persistent connection requirement given where we are with technology today.

I get it. Some people are poor. Fine. You probably shouldn't be spending your money on video games anyway.

It sure is a good thing you're here to tell everyone what they should or shouldn't be spending THEIR money on.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
40. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 22:25 Teddy

Ant wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 22:19:
Ugh, bad timing for me. I hope they do more!

Got spare guest passes if you want one, 7 days vs the 3 day weekend deal, and you use it when you like.

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning
76. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Ending; Wasteland 2 Kickstart Beginning Mar 13, 2012, 22:23 Teddy

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:55:
Publishers: Wake up, you're following the music industry down the self-immolation path.

Give gamers what they want. Let the developers build the games they want. Gaming was successful before marketing research, focus group testing, and MBA-style corporate management nearly sucked the life out of it.

Wasteland 2 is on track to get half of the needed funding in 24 hours.

Wasteland 2 was rejected by a few publishers last year.

Wakey wakey...

Have to wonder though if they asked for the same amount of money from a publisher that they're asking for from KS.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access
51. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 13, 2012, 21:27 Teddy

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:17:
PHJF wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 21:10:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but why would a persistent world cost a lot more hardware and bandwith? If you have 200,000 people playing, you have 200,000 people playing, whether they're in instances or in one huge world?

Logistics?

In what way?

Creston

There's certainly a greater cost in bandwidth, though how much is a question. Just a function of more information that needs to be sent to each client. Chat channels that were only available in cities in the original now need to be sent while outside, more players in the world around you means more info your client needs on their status/location/hp/damage/etc, and that of any mobs they're fighting in the area when in an instanced situation, the only mobs engaged are the ones you and your team is fighting.

33. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 20:24 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 20:12:

Well that's enough of your stupidity. One more moron goes on ignore.

Goodness, what will I do now with one less hypocrite listening to me?

27. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 19:41 Teddy

Fion wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 15:38:
It's EA, the price won't 'ever' decrease. Okay, 'ever' is the wrong term. 'For another decade' is about right though.

Yep. EA never cuts prices or offers sales, like the 50% off list on origin right now of Battlefield 3, The Sims 3, Fifa 12, Arkham City, Crysis 2, etc, etc.

26. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 19:36 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 16:31:
They expect people to download 30 or 40 gigs for a weekend pass? LOL! Keep on smokin that rock, fellas! With virtually every other MMO out there being F2P you'd think they'd realize that the client has to be cheap or free ASAP. Wait till GW2 arrives, then you'll see them scrambling to do some shit. However, It'll be too late after that regardless of what they do.

So when GW2 expects you to download the entire client for a beta weekend, that's "standard". When SWTOR expects you to download the entire client for a free weekend (SAME THING) they're "smokin that rock".

You sir, are a complete fucking tool.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:21 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:08:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 11:00:
The PVP thing is NOT an unlock. It says itself "Earn some Glory with this ONE-TIME USE Chalice." It sounds very much like it's a currency bonus for PVP same as the one time use guild currency bonus. Either way, one time use bonuses are pathetic offerings for the extra money they're asking.

'Earn some extra Glory with this one-time use chalice. Use Glory to unlock rewards in PvP as well as compare your progress against other players.'

Ok, so semantically, if 'Glory' is the PvP currency, it's not directly an unlock, but that doesn't change the argument that it makes sense being one time (either per character or per account and shared across characters).

-Alamar

I'm not suggesting they should make the chalice a multi-use thing. I'm suggesting they come up with something else, or add something else to the DDE to make it worth the $20.

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 11:00 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:54:
Teddy wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:42:
Having just checked the game's site, the DDE looks WEAK. For the extra $20, you get a one time use PVP bonus, a one time use Guild influence bonus, a mobile banker that says you only get to use him for 5 days, and one elite skill unique to the DDE/Collectors buyers.

So 3 of the bonuses simply vanish on you after use or x amount of days, leaving you with the only worthwhile bonus of the skill which has to be balanced out so it's not OP anyways.

Edit: Forgot there's also a non-combat pet (miniature) that doesn't vanish.

Why is that worth another 33% cost?

The PVP thing is an unlock, and the guild thing gives your guild 'currency', so it makes sense they're one time uses...

The banker though, for 5 days, makes no sense... So you can access your bank for the very early part of your character's 'career'... If it's per character, maybe the idea is for twinking, but I'd imagine the bank would be available in major cities at least, so yes, very odd it's time limited.

Also, Blue, any idea why your text says 'three-day head start', and the press release you copied says 'one-day headstart'? Their site also listed three... Odd...

-Alamar

The PVP thing is NOT an unlock. It says itself "Earn some Glory with this ONE-TIME USE Chalice." It sounds very much like it's a currency bonus for PVP same as the one time use guild currency bonus. Either way, one time use bonuses are pathetic offerings for the extra money they're asking.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:43 Teddy

Acleacius wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:41:
Wow, had no idea they were going to continue the previous model of no monthly fees!

A quick look at the FAQ on the official link, doesn't mention content differences between the 3 different versions, anyone found info on this?

Thanks.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:42 Teddy

Having just checked the game's site, the DDE looks WEAK. For the extra $20, you get a one time use PVP bonus, a one time use Guild influence bonus, a mobile banker that says you only get to use him for 5 days, and one elite skill unique to the DDE/Collectors buyers.

So 3 of the bonuses simply vanish on you after use or x amount of days, leaving you with the only worthwhile bonus of the skill which has to be balanced out so it's not OP anyways.

Edit: Forgot there's also a non-combat pet (miniature) that doesn't vanish.

Why is that worth another 33% cost?

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2012, 10:47.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 10:32 Teddy

Yakubs wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:24:
What is a "beta weekend event" ?? Does that mean doing this pre-purchase doesn't get you into a full-fledged beta but rather some kind of limited Saturday/Sunday-only thing?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Same sort of thing that SWTOR did.

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 10:16:
Can GW2 be played / adventured, alone? as I have no friends. I couldn't get into wow, it was a culture that wasn't part of me, perhaps GW2 is more up my alley. never played gw1. I like action RPG's.

Yes you can, though there are group based dungeons that you won't be able to do. There are still lots of areas where you can explore on your own, and meta-events that you can participate in with other people without having to know them or be part of a party/raid/whatever.

News Comments > Romero on Making an Old School FPS: "I Have Plans"
10. Re: Romero on Making an Old School FPS: Mar 11, 2012, 15:14 Teddy

AnointedSword wrote on Mar 11, 2012, 14:30:
I will keep an eye out for his work. We can call him names and condemn him to hell but when he left ID...a big part of what made ID great was missing...

I tend to agree. When he left an important part of what made ID great was lost. The catch is, it goes both ways. Since leaving, Romero hasn't had a team that has compensated in the areas that HE doesn't do well. It's left his games just as mediocre (or worse) than what ID's put out since.

News Comments > Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced
43. Re: Three Battlefield 3 Expansions Announced Mar 7, 2012, 17:52 Teddy

Tumbler wrote on Mar 7, 2012, 13:38:
Battlefield 3: Close Quarters -- In Battlefield 3: Close Quarters, players are dropped into a frantic, infantry-only theatre of war.

You can still have infantry only sections of a map where people who want that COD experience can fight in close quarters while another battle with all the elements of Battlefield is going on.

Like a shopping mall where the inside is basically infantry only and the outside all around the mall is full on balls to the wall combat with tanks, jeeps, jets, helo's. If you wanna be a little bitch and go play in the fountains and shit go for it but we'll be tearing shit up in the parking lot.

I hate all the maps where they were obviously trying to give it the COD treatment. They are horrid maps. Metro...my fucking god how did someone not pull that fucking disaster of a map on the drawing board?

This game would be so much better if they'd quit trying to change the core experience. It's a battlefield. Anything Goes. This is not some random corner of a building with a dozen guys having a gunfight. We want the whole goddamn building and 64 people and 6 blocks around as well and we want to bomb the shit out of people and fly around in a whirly death machine spitting cannon rounds at the poor bastards running around on the ground.

Man the FUCK UP you bitches. (DICE)

How dare other people get what they want too?! I demand that only MY wishes be catered to! *shakefist*

As for Metro, whether you like it or not, it's one of the most popular maps in BF3 with numerous 24/7 servers running it. But yeah, you're right, clearly no one likes it and it should have been removed.

Tool.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Dropped
14. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Cross-Platform Play Dropped Mar 6, 2012, 15:15 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 14:38:
Real question: who wants PC vs console gaming?

Anyone?

I do.

I know it's shocking, but people have these things called friends and sometimes these friends prefer to play games on other platforms.

News Comments > Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart
33. Re: Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstart Mar 4, 2012, 21:02 Teddy

Dmitri_M wrote on Mar 4, 2012, 06:14:
ArmA's failing is it requires a VAST amount of modding to get it to a point where it becomes something truly special and unique with features not available in any other tactical shooter to date.. The built in campaigns, maps and features are terrible and BIS themselves have made little effort to take the game into a meaningful creative direction.

If you view R6 as a CQB shooter, Ghost Recon as a mid range shooter, then ArmA is the long range\size over detail shooter.

Of those three titles it is the least accessible though. Requires a lot of patience and the right level of mods to really enjoy. You can tailor it to be any sort of shooter you like. Most gamers can't invest the time in it.

On a base level though you'd still have to cope with the non-ID engine inherited control school with the characters head acting as a camera, rather than the player's view being tied directly to the weapon as it is in ID engines\conventional tac shooters. Personally it's never bothered me, but then I'm not a little bitch like many gamers. Even back when tactical shooters ruled the market, we'd have many hardcore PC guys LAN with us and complain about dying too easily in Swat, or the movement being too slow in R6 (compared to Quake) or the controls being clunky in OFP\Arma. Today's shitty consolised versions of R6 and Ghost Recon. That's what gamers really want. Enjoy guys.

I agree on most points. The problem is, you can't release a game today that isn't something special on it's own. If it requires a "VAST amount of modding" just to enjoy the game, then that's a complete failure of game design.

I'm sure my take on it isn't much different from many people who tried it. I heard the hype, said 'alright, I'll give it a shot.' Bought the base game, loaded it up, tried to like it. Deleted it a week later. Everything about the way the game handled screamed amateur, as though these people had never been introduced to the concept of a user-friendly interface/control scheme. They seriously need to hire someone competent in that field. Anyways, story continues, when I comment on my response to the game I'm told, "Oh, you need to have this expansion pack and these mods for the game to be 'really good'." I laugh my ass off and say fuck that, I already wasted enough money on that PoS, I'm not shelling out double the cash, much less spending the time needed to track down the mods and keep them updated just in the hopes that these people are right.

The way I see it, they made a shoddy ass product, filled with bugs and unnecessarily awkward game-play and then the gamers fixed it for them. That's not something I intend to reward a company for, even though I do applaud them for allowing their game to be modded in the first place.

Who knows, maybe BIS will make Arma3 something special right out of the gate, but I'm not holding any real hope for that after having been sorely disappointed by ARMA 1 and 2.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo