Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN
7. Re: Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter Becomes TAKEDOWN Mar 26, 2012, 22:36 Teddy

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 20:25:
Unfortunately this looks like it's too little too late, but at least they're learning their lesson. "Crowdsourced Hardcore Tactical Shooter" was a horrific name. The slick fancy branding and pretty pictures might've helped them gain more momentum early on. Then again those pictures look pretty crummy to me. I'm still 100% behind the idea of the game, though, and it's a shame that this project, at least, isn't looking like it'll see the light of day. There's always Ground Branch, I guess, which has been in development forever but which still seems to be going along.

My understanding of the situation is that he plans to put up another Kickstarter project with the additional information, title, and concept art when this one inevitably fails. Have a feeling he's shot himself in the foot by not being sufficiently prepared the first time around. News sites may be less likely to pay attention to a second attempt at the same thing (or at least not as MUCH attention) and people who upped for the first one may take a wait and see with the second.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Plans
21. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Plans Mar 24, 2012, 18:33 Teddy

MajorD wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 18:08:
Please speak for yourselves, as most people would use it

I don't really care one way or the other about VOIP, but seriously? Do I really need to point out the flaw in this statement?

News Comments > Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors
26. Re: Prey 2 Cancellation Rumors Mar 24, 2012, 16:38 Teddy

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 24, 2012, 10:44:
It looked like a mainstream version of E.Y.E. If they got the PC version right without gimping it for consoles I would have gladly picked up a copy. Unfortunately we may never know. Thanks again, Bethesda!

1st strike: Rage
2nd strike: Prey 2

So releasing a game that wasn't very good earns a strike in your book, and refusing to release a game because it's not very good also earns a strike? That's pretty faulty logic.

News Comments > More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
41. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 23, 2012, 16:28 Teddy

Titus wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 16:16:
I think this is the video he is referring to, it's the only video atm with an explorable dungeon run.

The only rezzes that can be seen there are fight to survive, player rezzes, and after death respawns at respawn points in the dungeon

In the video it's clearly pointed out that if you die inside an explorable dungeon, you can (almost instantly) respawn in the dungeon itself, at the last unlocked waypoint, and run back into a fight. They also state that encounters inside the dungeons are explicitly designed around this.

However, you do get damage to your items, and if all your items are damaged, you need to repair in town.

After seeing this, I wonder what use a resurrection orb is at all, perhaps other than to prevent one of your items being damaged.

heh. That's the exact video I watched and edited my comment based on afterwards.

It should bear saying that a "resurrection orb" exists in the original Guild Wars, though only in a specific misson if I read right (I've never seen it myself). What it did there was resurrect all nearby dead allies when it was dropped.

So it is theoretically possible that this could be a form of mass resurrect for your whole party, which could make it immensely powerful. But then we know next to nothing about it, it could have a cast time like a standard res and be interruptable on damage (presumably not using up the item if the cast is not successful) or it could be something you use on yourself as we've been speculating so far.

39. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 23, 2012, 15:40 Teddy

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 23, 2012, 01:46:
Teddy wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 23:31:
Who said they let you rez in combat?

There's video of people doing it in the last beta weekend. I think it's the explorable dungeon run.

I've watched just about every video I can find from the beta weekend, and I don't recall seeing anything of the sort. They showed the 'fight to survive' mechanic a bunch of times with the self-rez if you successfully kill a mob, or the bandage rez if you aren't damaged for a long cast heal. I saw no instant rez using a resurrection orb.

Do you have a link to a video showing it?

Edit: While I found no videos of it occurring, I found a few that discussed death mechanics in greater detail which tend to suggest that the orb probably does function in combat. That said, it's not nearly as powerful as people are perceiving it to be for a few reasons.

1) There are no raids, period. There are bosses that take many people to kill, but they're open to anyone who participates so there's no "lfg with 10 orbs or more" bs that some people are suggesting will happen with those encounters. The only place something like that COULD come up is looking for random groups to do 5 man explorable dungeons with.

2) Fights are not locked out as they are in other MMO's. If you die in a fight and can not be resurrected by the standard game mechanics, you can just respawn at the nearest checkpoint and run back in to rejoin the fight in progress.

3) As the fights are not locked, all forms of resurrecting already function in combat. There are no limited number of battle rez's. As long as a friend can get the "cast" off without being interrupted, they can get you up mid-fight. Or if you take no damage for a set period of time you can get yourself back up, or you can get back up if you kill a mob while in a downed state.

The point being, resurrecting in combat doesn't seem to be as rare a thing as it is in WoW or other MMO's. They've purposely removed the ability from any PVP including WvWvW (as stated in the tooltips in the pictures provided of the item shop earlier in the thread) and with the plethora of resurrect abilities that already function in combat, it has to in some way devalue the usefulness of the orbs though to what extend remains to be seen.

This comment was edited on Mar 23, 2012, 16:22.

30. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 23:31 Teddy

Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 23:04:
Endo wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 22:15:
No, these aren't items that are generally considered "Pay 2 Win". The items referred to as P2W are items you MUST have to be able to compete with other players, whether it be in PvP or for PvE slots in a good group.

Like orbs that let you rez up in the middle of a boss fight? Pretty sure every idiot group leader's first question is going to be "how many orbs u got?"

Who said they let you rez in combat?

22. Re: More on Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 22, 2012, 18:12 Teddy

Prez wrote on Mar 22, 2012, 17:58:
Okay. I just heard everyone saying that the only thing the cash shop would be selling are vanity items. Knowing that the only way to get these items is to grind for them or pay cash for them makes the game less enticing to me, but we'll see.

The original sold character slots too. You had 8 character slots, and if you wanted more than that, you could buy additional slots. Beta videos have shown a default of 5 character slots to start with in GW2.

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions
49. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 16:53 Teddy

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 16:41:
Teddy wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 16:03:
And again, no evidence produced by you. Your best claim was "they said there will be more MT's in GW2". More what? Of what type? Can you provide ANY examples whatsoever? No? Didn't think so. Can you provide ANY details on costs associated with the game and how much has to be made up by MT's? No? Didn't think so.

Apparently you STILL don't understand what conjecture is. You've tried to claim something true while providing absolutely zero evidence to back your claim up. THAT is conjecture.

As I said before, the only thing we can do is wait and see. Your claims to know otherwise are nothing but BS at this point and anyone with half a brain can see that.
You really don't get it do you? I was trying to be civil, but I guess you don't like that, so I'll stop. I'm not going to go out of my way to dig up the specific "evidence" and "proof" you want because frankly it's irrelevant and your disbelief on this doesn't mean jack fucking shit to me. I couldn't give half a rat's ass if you believe me or not. Whether you believe me or not doesn't change what they're going to have to do. Any idiot with two brain cells can figure it out.

So like I said: don't believe me. I really don't care. You'll see when they release the game. But for the love of sanity, please STFU and quit whining for evidence and proof where it's not needed. Also, any further responses from you will be ignored.

Yep, who needs to prove statements these days anyways. Just make up some bullshit, type it out and claim you don't give a fuck when someone calls you out on it. You sure showed me.

You're not going out of your way, because you don't HAVE any sources to back up your claims, and it's just a convenient way to brush aside the fact that you're full of it.

45. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 16:03 Teddy

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 15:53:
I understand the definition of conjecture perfectly well. You however clearly don't understand the definition of "100%".

But hey, don't believe me. It's really nothing to me whether you do your you don't. You'll see soon enough when the game is released.

And again, no evidence produced by you. Your best claim was "they said there will be more MT's in GW2". More what? Of what type? Can you provide ANY examples whatsoever? No? Didn't think so. Can you provide ANY details on costs associated with the game and how much has to be made up by MT's? No? Didn't think so.

Apparently you STILL don't understand what conjecture is. You've tried to claim something true while providing absolutely zero evidence to back your claim up. THAT is conjecture.

As I said before, the only thing we can do is wait and see. Your claims to know otherwise are nothing but BS at this point and anyone with half a brain can see that.

42. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 15:38 Teddy

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:53:
Teddy wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:39:
That's all very nice, but also 100% conjecture on your part. You have no idea how much anything costs the company or how many sales they require to provide service, or how much they expect to have to make from microtransactions to support the rest of the costs.

As I said, time will tell. Doom and gloom conjecture is neither proof, nor fact.

Not 100% conjecture at all. We know operating costs aren't cheap. We know they're putting in a cash shop with more than what GW1 had, they've already given away that much.

And what makes you think it's doom and gloom? It's simply looking at things realistically. It's certainly not going to drive me away from the game. I've played other cash shop games before, and it's never been the cash shop that caused me to stop. It's always been the gameplay. Personally, I prefer the cash shop model (even if it's somewhat P2W) simply because it lets me keep an account active without paying when I'm not actively playing. Then when I DO play, I can pay to maximize my time. The only time I've ever been pissed off about a cash shop was when City of Heroes went to that model, and they took away perks and chracter slots I'd already paid for.

con·jec·ture
&#8194; &#8194;[kuhn-jek-cher] noun, verb, -tured, -tur·ing.
noun
the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.
an opinion or theory so formed or expressed; guess; speculation.
Obsolete. the interpretation of signs or omens.
verb (used with object)
to conclude or suppose from grounds or evidence insufficient to ensure reliability.

Since you seem to lack an understanding of what conjecture is, I provided a definition for you.

You do not know how much operating costs are, you just declare them "not cheap" and assume that's somehow sufficient proof of your point. You do not know what the costs are, how much of each purchase is put toward those costs, or how those costs scale with population size. Again, the claim that they "have" to cross the line with MT's is 100% conjecture on your part.

Find some actual evidence that anything they're going to offer from MT's is going to detract from anyone's enjoyment of the game, and then I'll have reason to believe you. Until then, you've proven nothing and provided nothing to actually back up your argument outside of your own speculation on vague comments made by the developers.

28. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 13:39 Teddy

Endo wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:16:
Teddy wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 13:04:
Having played (or rather still playing) the original Guild Wars, I've seen what they did with the microtransactions (MT's) in that and it gives some hope. Most of the MT's in that were related to costumes or polymorphs that had no impact on the game itself. Another big one was the ability to bring one of your previous characters along as a hero character when creating/leveling an alt. The most questionable one was the ability to unlock huge chunks of skills in game, though you still had to spend the time/effort in game to buy them after they were unlocked. It just saved you the grind of running around looking for mobs that had those skills to capture for yourself.

They may cross the line with GW2, but I found what was there in GW1 to be fairly well balanced, nothing that dramatically changed the way you played the game. Most of the things I thought were absurdly overpriced as well, but that's me.
Of course they're going to have to "cross the line" with GW2. It's an actual MMO. It's going to cost a lot more money to run than GW1 does. You say you're still playing GW, how can you not see this? It's the same move as Blizzard going from Diablo 2 to WoW. I fully expect to see most of the standard fare you see in totally F2P MMOs. Going by what other MMOs charge in subscription fees or what they make you want to buy in cash shops, $60 per player should be enough for about 3-6 months, maybe 8 tops. We all know they won't have a new expansion ready by then (and even if they did, expansions aren't cheap to develop either). So with no subscription fee, where the hell do you think the money is going to come from? An extra character slot or recustomization now and then? You know that's not enough revenue to keep things going.

That's all very nice, but also 100% conjecture on your part. You have no idea how much anything costs the company or how many sales they require to provide service, or how much they expect to have to make from microtransactions to support the rest of the costs.

As I said, time will tell. Doom and gloom conjecture is neither proof, nor fact.

21. Re: On Guild Wars 2 Microtransactions Mar 21, 2012, 13:04 Teddy

Alamar wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 12:33:
Keilun wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:48:
wusel wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:22:
Item shop unlocks are for "account services and on time-saving convenience". To generate a demand for "time-saving convenience"-items, Anet must have left inconvenient game mechanics in the game ..so much for the promise of "no grind, just fun".

That statement there is a bit of a leap. Inconvenient game mechanics doesn't exclude fun. Most game activities generate gold naturally (eg. quests). So unless you tend to play your games by computing how to maximize gold gain, rather than you know enjoying yourself, then it's not exactly a grind. Or rather, it's only a grind if you make it one. Yes some games can create grinds (a la WoW or Lineage), but I'm inclined to at least give ArenaNet the benefit of the doubt that they've added enough variety through their personal stories and dynamic events that the game itself will stay fresh.

Your post screams naivety to me... So I may be misunderstanding, but it seems like you're saying WoW can be grindy, but GW2 isn't going to be because you earn gold while playing?

If the costs in GW2 take a day or two each, that might seem reasonable, but once you have to play, at max level, for a week (or play the AH), to buy one measely little item/buff/whatever, that's a whole different thing.

Also, this is the exact style of 'microtransactions' that has made mobile games so much money... You can play and play and play and unlock things as you go, or just pull out some cash and get it NOW... I personally like that the choice is there, but the counter-argument is that the game is purposefully slowed to 'make' people buy the currency instead...

-Alamar

Having played (or rather still playing) the original Guild Wars, I've seen what they did with the microtransactions (MT's) in that and it gives some hope. Most of the MT's in that were related to costumes or polymorphs that had no impact on the game itself. Another big one was the ability to bring one of your previous characters along as a hero character when creating/leveling an alt. The most questionable one was the ability to unlock huge chunks of skills in game, though you still had to spend the time/effort in game to buy them after they were unlocked. It just saved you the grind of running around looking for mobs that had those skills to capture for yourself.

They may cross the line with GW2, but I found what was there in GW1 to be fairly well balanced, nothing that dramatically changed the way you played the game. Most of the things I thought were absurdly overpriced as well, but that's me.

News Comments > Dragon Age Entering "Next Phase"
59. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 20, 2012, 22:12 Teddy

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 17:55:
Teddy wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 16:23:
Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:17:
Which group should we listen to?

The group that's larger. Business 101.

In a business that's as loyalty driven as gaming, I'd say that's not always the smartest decision.

Creston

Loyalty driven? Are you kidding me?

Feel free to start up a company, ignore the majority of your customers in favor of a minority of 'loyal' customers and let me know how that goes.

If people were complaining that the 'story' in ME2 was too complicated, then that aside from the obvious that those people are idiots, it also states pretty clearly that THEY BOUGHT THE GAME TOO. So how does you giving a company money for a product make you more "loyal" than someone else who gave the same company the same money for the same product? I'll answer that for you, it doesn't. That's just you trying to justify the nonsense that your opinion somehow matters more (or should matter more) than any other customer.

That doesn't mean they made the right decisions, or changed the right things, but to suggest that companies should listen to you more because you declare yourself more loyal is sheer idiocy.

55. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 20, 2012, 17:48 Teddy

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 16:29:
Teddy wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 16:23:

Judging by the DA:O and DA2 sales comparisons they're listening to the wrong group then.

And here's some fun for the PC elitists around here who like to pat themselves on the back and claim they're more savvy and intelligent than console gamers.

http://greywardens.com/2011/08/dragon-age-ii-how-badly-did-it-sell/

DA2 outsold DA:O on PC in that same 10 week span, while the console players shot it down pretty quickly.

53. Re: Dragon Age Entering Mar 20, 2012, 16:23 Teddy

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 14:17:
Which group should we listen to?

News Comments > On Guild Wars 2's Personal Stories
8. Re: On Guild Wars 2's Personal Stories Mar 20, 2012, 16:13 Teddy

Fion wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 13:44:
While GW2 doesn't seem to have stories that are quite as 'focsed', they are a big part of the game obviously and include actual choices that can dramatically change your story.

This remains to be seen. Bioware says your choices in Mass Effect dramatically change your story too.

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
13. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 11:56 Teddy

InBlack wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:45:
I'm one of the few people who's still playing it actually, but yeah we've seen a dip in subs

Heheh, great jab at TOR. Also KUDOS for mentioning Skyrim, a single player game.

Fairly certain he meant one of the few people (from their development team) that's still playing it. I doubt Blizzard's PR would allow anyone to make an openly derogatory comment about competition.

News Comments > Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic
12. Re: Blizzard: Some WoW Subs Lost to The Old Republic Mar 20, 2012, 11:54 Teddy

nin wrote on Mar 20, 2012, 10:28:
but it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it's not surprising.

Uh-huh...

Yep, it's not like there's a history of that happening over the last 6 years with all their expansions. A drop in subscribers, then a resurgence with the release of BC, then again with Wrath, then again with Cataclysm. But you must be right, he's just making it all up.

News Comments > Wing Commander Saga Correction
6. Re: Wing Commander Saga Correction Mar 18, 2012, 17:07 Teddy

Prez wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 16:53:
Is EA going to "FOX" this now???

Just wait until it's released and shows any signs of popularity. Then it'll get stepped on and EA will announce an official Wing Commander reboot or something like that.

News Comments > Portal 2 BAFTA's "Best Game"
14. Re: Portal 2 BAFTA's Mar 17, 2012, 16:59 Teddy

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 17, 2012, 15:32:
Not saying I disagree or not, but seems like plenty of back patting to most of the major players. Give it Hollywood, they'll give awards to obscure flicks if they feel them worthy.

You mean like giving Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet an award over big name titles like L.A.Noire and Rift?

And for whoever asked it, yes the sports category is absolutely absurd. Kinect Sports 2 was competing in the category with Dance Central 2, FIFA 2012, and Dirt 3 (yes, the racing game)

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo