Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ted Smith

Real Name Ted Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Teddy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 5, 2004, 02:08
Total Comments 1063 (Pro)
User ID 20096

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warhammer Online Ends in December
11. Re: Warhammer Online Ends in December Sep 19, 2013, 03:18 Teddy

MonkeySpank wrote on Sep 18, 2013, 23:12:
8 years? Que?

It's phrased a little oddly, but yes. 8 years CREATING and running the game. They're not claiming it's been out for 8 years, but that they've been working on it for 8 years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sky Pirates of Tyria Content Next Week
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sky Pirates of Tyria Content Next Week Jun 21, 2013, 23:05 Teddy

Wash Washburne wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 14:13:
Keep'em coming ArneaNet, brilliant work fellas!

Love the game and the little addons they keep tossing in. The only thing that irks me is that the story dungeons for these events are only open for a short time.

There really should be some way to access them again after the event is finished, like connecting it to the fractals or something.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Fist Puncher
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Fist Puncher Jun 21, 2013, 23:01 Teddy

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 22:32:
Title is on par with "War Fighter"

Except one was trying to be serious.

News Comments > Whore of the Orient Raises Cash
14. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 19:04 Teddy

Wildone wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:05:
so its about Asian hookers? Im in

<insert Steel Panther's "Asian Hooker" here for theme music>

News Comments > GameStop Stops Rainbow 6 Patriots Preorders
7. Re: GameStop Stops Rainbow 6 Patriots Preorders May 17, 2013, 12:39 Teddy

netnerd85 wrote on May 17, 2013, 10:32:
Kinda good. Maybe they will actually make a TACTICAL SHOOTER now?

No, they'll just say that they didn't get enough pre-orders to date and that proves to them that the genre is dead. Then they'll either fire the team or switch them over to making another Assassin's Creed game.

Edit: Incidentally, both the official twitter and facebook pages haven't been updated in over a year. I'd wager it's dead.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2013, 12:46.

News Comments > Ubisoft Financials
3. Re: Ubisoft Financials May 15, 2013, 21:00 Teddy

Trevellian wrote on May 15, 2013, 20:26:
Amazing what backing off of ridiculous drm will do for business isn't it Ubisoft.

That's some seriously delusional thinking there. The DRM did not make this difference.

PC is roughly 9% of Ubisoft's sales. per VG247.

What made this difference was Far Cry 3 being a surprise hit, selling far more copies than anticipated and Assassin's Creed 3 selling 70% more than the previous Assassin's Creed title.

It had virtually nothing to do with the PC, or their DRM issues on it.

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
22. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 00:42 Teddy

Creston wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:01:
It actually surprises me that EA was paying a licensing fee to use real-life firearms in their games. I mean, if anything, you're basically advertising these guns for free, right? Why would you need to license them?

Then again, Rockstar never uses real life cars precisely for licensing reasons, and I would assume it's basically the same idea?

Creston

Exactly the same. Much like the cars that someone else mentioned, where companies don't want their products destroyed in video games, gun manufacturers are very wary about their products placed in video games where they could be used to say... shoot police officers, or innocent civilians like the CoD airport level.

Doesn't matter that this stuff already happens in the real world with their products, they just don't want it shown in video games. Yet somehow, they're fine with them being used in movies where gangsters shoot police or what have you.

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
20. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 8, 2013, 00:38 Teddy

Slick wrote on May 8, 2013, 00:12:
everything you've ever seem in a tv show, movie, or any other visual medium are usually real-life products. you don't re-imagine every piece of furniture in a living room TV set because you don't want to license from lay-z-boy. costs of production would skyrocket if you had to re-invent anything seen into a fake-brandless non-existant item.

It goes the other way around in movies, actually. Companies pay veritable fortunes to movie studios to have their products used in movies and TV shows, as opposed to their competitors. Think Audi and Converse in "I, Robot". That's just an example of the more obvious ones.

Morgan Spurlock made a documentary talking about this exact subject, called "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold".

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2013, 23:26 Teddy

Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I just noticed "Monaco: What's Yours is Mine" showed up on steam's front page with an unlock date of April 24th...

The preorder stuff has been up on their website for ages but I hadn't seen an actual date posted before now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/113020/

News Comments > Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing
8. Re: Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing Apr 18, 2013, 23:14 Teddy

According to wikipedia, also his last game.

Mikami stated that this will be the last game he directs. He stated that it will be a "true" survival horror game, "one in which the player confronts and overcomes fear."

News Comments > Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing
4. Re: Bethesda's Almost Done Teasing Apr 18, 2013, 22:17 Teddy

Evidently a new survival horror IP by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

Link here

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
38. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 23:15 Teddy

Sho wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 15:24:
Ok, let me clarify: I believe they should have publicized the details of their licensing agreement with Microsoft with regard to what it allows them to do and what it doesn't. I'm getting the impression that they did not do that, which feels rather cagey to me.

You don't think that's relevant info for a potential investor? Kickstarter isn't a shop. It's a funding round. Investors have broader stakes than getting a pre-defined set of goods.

-----------

Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter FAQ wrote:
What type of account system/DRM can we expect?

While the details are still being worked out, we hate draconian DRM as much as the next guy. We expect there will be an account system but it would be primarily used to enable the social elements of the game like mission and character sharing--not to restrict access to the game itself.

Note the bold section. This was on their FAQ during the kickstarter, openly stating that the details of the DRM were still being worked out.

I can't find one single place they ever said they were releasing the final product without DRM. Only that the backers would receive DRM free versions. If you can find one, by all means, feel free to post it.

Anyone crying fraud or lies needs to get their heads checked.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 28, 2013, 21:16 Teddy

Axis wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 20:33:
Do not doubt what the Ouya is going to do... it's going to blow the shit up in the console market -- bigtime.

There's a shitton of indie/linux guys who will propel this through the roof if it even comes close to delivering.

Still lotta nubs out there still think that beefy hardware is key - not true at all. 99% AAA titles are shit, only innovation is coming from indies. People's money is tight and all the cards could just fall perfectly...

Which only works if people actually HEAR about the product. Ask anyone who plays games but doesn't obsessively visit game new sites what OUYA is and not one of them will have a clue. Not a great sign so close to launch.

It'll do decently well, I imagine but there's no way in hell it's going to 'blow the shit up in the console market'. Most gamers won't give a shit about it if it can't play the newest Halo or CoD or what have you.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead Space 3 Feb 5, 2013, 21:54 Teddy

Ars reviewed it and said it was more action and less atmosphere than the first two. If you enjoyed the first two for that reason, might want to wait and see on this one.
review here

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer
22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Story Trailer Dec 28, 2012, 22:40 Teddy

Trevellian wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:37:
1badmf wrote on Dec 28, 2012, 21:12:
it was frankly shocking how much better KoH director's cut was compared to the theatrical release.

as for prometheus, i hafta agree with dades - it wasn't a salvageable script. just because it had a bit of subtlety thematically doesn't overcome the incredibly braindead plot or characters. a great movie can't be that flawed and still be great. trev you imply that those of us that didn't like it, simply didn't understand it. i hafta say, dude, it wasn't that difficult to grasp at all, and it still sucked. big donkey dick. if you thought it was that complex, maybe it's you that needs to expose yourself to more art and culture, and eventually you'll see that its subtext end up being more insulting than enriching.

Just because I enjoyed a movie that you did not, does not make me uncultured. It's ridiculous to even insinuate such a thing. You're just being insulting for the sake of being insulting.

Conversely, just because he didn't like a movie that you did, doesn't mean he didn't understand the movie and you did. It's ridiculous to even insinuate such a thing.

Funny how it's alright in your mind to insinuate that people are too stupid to 'understand' a movie, and yet insulting for someone else to suggest you don't 'understand' art and culture.

News Comments > SOE on PlanetSide 2 in 2025
19. Re: Bad first impression... Dec 1, 2012, 19:48 Teddy

JohnBirshire wrote on Dec 1, 2012, 18:48:
I believe their biggest failure so far, and a very damaging one to the games long term success, was by doing an atrocious job of introducing the game to new players. PS1 had a training program environment that allowed you to familarize yourself with the controls, spawn vehicles and use them, test different weapons, etc. PS2 just throws you into the middle of a fight to die instantly as you're struggling to figure out what's going on. This approach is fine for veterans or for people who know how great this game can be, but a lot of other new players are saying screw it and logging out immediately. Not good, and rather embarrassing when I am telling someone how much fun this game is and their first impression of it is total shit. Im really disappointed in the developers for this decision, but it hurts them more than myself.

While I tend to agree that there needs to be better familiarization for new players, what kind of idiots download a game to try then log out and never play again after they die once? If they're that fragile, then they wouldn't last long in the game no matter how you prepare them for it. They're going to die eventually.

News Comments > Nuketown 2025 II Map Pulled from Black Ops 2 Playlists
12. Re: Nuketown 2025 II Map Pulled from Black Ops 2 Playlists Nov 20, 2012, 01:11 Teddy

Beamer wrote on Nov 20, 2012, 00:29:
Which makes sense - only people that preordered have this map. There's no solution possible without fractioning the community far too much (as right now you can bet about 75%+ of players have that map.)

A problem created by the idiotic decision to offer a map only to pre-order customers.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II
61. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II Nov 13, 2012, 16:05 Teddy

Darks wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:25:
Okay, I see. So I guess youíre one of those guys who thinks every James Bond movie is the same to because it has the name James Bond in every movie title, yep that makes sense to me. Insert "Sarcasm" right?

I think itís you that is confused!

No, you just seem completely oblivious to the differences between movies and games. Unsurprising really.

A movie is a story, period. A game (of this sort) on the other hand is a combination of story and mechanics designed to make interaction WITH the story entertaining.

Changing one aspect of it does not make it a new game. If they'd built a new engine, or made significant improvements over the last. Made some attempt at real change to the mechanics AND changed the story, that's a new game.

Note that when people do remakes of games, the same story as before but they change the engine, they charge a cheaper price for it. Funny that it doesn't seem to apply the other way around, when they change nothing in the engine but just tack on a new story, somehow that's worth full price in their minds.

Simple fact of the day, Movies != Games. Learn it.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
50. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 23, 2012, 03:04 Teddy

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 02:58:
Mark of the Ninja is indeed great. It actually rewards players for true ghosting (no killing, no incapacitating, no detections, no alarms). It always makes me sad when stealth games give you "Ghost" rewards or achievements for knocking people out when that is only superficially different than killing them (DX:HR and Dishonored, I'm looking at you). Leaving piles of bodies (either dead or unconscious) in your wake doesn't qualify as stealth.

That's promising to hear. I'd heard that it was in a weird situation with that, where it would reward you for things like that, and encourage you to play stealthy but all the bonuses you could get were related to killing, none for distraction or anything of the sort that might help with being more stealthy.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patched
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patched Oct 2, 2012, 19:22 Teddy

Cutter wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 17:10:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 2, 2012, 16:36:
I have a few questions. I sometimes get some weird ping sound or whatever when I am exploring. Its not the sound for finding a waypoint or something. Its different. I would really like to know what that means.
Also I have no clue how to discover the "undiscovered vistas". When I go there, I don't see anything of interest, nor will it "discover".
Also, are there no visible pants available? My female char looks like a prostitute.

Yeah, dunno what that sound is. A vista is a specific point - generally up above you somwhere - that you have to figure out how to get to. It has a little glowing flag type icon you use when you get to it and that's how a vista is discovered. And pants are visible, it's just whatever your current chest piece is that's covering it.

Could also been a boon ping. There's a sound that goes off when you get one. Took me a while to realize what the sound was on mine. Was running with a signet that gave a boon every 10 seconds, so I kept hearing very quiet sounds and wondering what the hell they were. Turned out it was the boons going up every 10 seconds.

1063 Comments. 54 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo