Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Don

Real Name Don   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Absolution
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 27, 2004, 14:54
Total Comments 141 (Novice)
User ID 20026

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Stuttering Update, SDK & Surprise Plans
63. It was good (spoiler) Nov 25, 2004, 14:51 Absolution

I enjoyed playing it. The combine level is amazing. The only part I really disliked was at the end when you're trying to get to the top of the teleporter and have to do all of these jumping puzzles. There's one where you have to jump on these platforms that are rotating around the teleporter, yet for some reason you have to 'balance' on them as they move around. That one took me about 20 minutes. It was very annoying.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Controller mod Nov 24, 2004, 12:57 Absolution

Okay, I am so making that Xbox controller PC mod. For some games a controller really is better and consoles do make good controllers.

6. Re: meh Nov 23, 2004, 13:52 Absolution

It's also good for those using windows 2000 since we can't get SP2. I love Firefox. It's a very clean app and has tabbed browsing of course. Like you said, it is slower to start (MAYBE 1 second longer on my comp), but that's because it's not integrated so that's not really it's fault. There is only one page I visit that Firefox has issues with. It's my web-based email. Firefox keeps prompting me over and over for user/pass in a seperate pop-up box. There's probably a way to disable that though.

News Comments > Game Movies
6. Looks good Nov 23, 2004, 12:04 Absolution

The game looks beautiful. I really have no interest in MMPORG, mainly due to the price, but this one almost makes me want to pay to play. This will be the first Blizzard game I don't buy right away. :/

11. Re: slim tube CRT TVs Nov 19, 2004, 14:24 Absolution

Fine if you're going to go supernerd picky with me:

Even the best RP CRT still looked bad compared to the best CRT in my opinion.

Grand Wega (not Vega): Pronounced Vay-Guh. Even though they decided to be creative with the spelling, they still distinguish the W with two V's.

Ya, I get LCD and DLP confused, but they both look better than CRT projection and I like the picture in both. From normal viewing distances I haven't noticed any screendoor effect on Sonys and neither do most people. That's an annoying problem, but the technology is much more mature now and that is really unfair to bring up in reference to new LCD panels. Maybe you notice it, but most just bring it up as a talking point (i.e. they hear people say it so assume it's true). Regardless, LCD is sharper and clearer, but DLP has a deeper black. Blah blah blah blah. I'd go with either, but the Grand "W"egas are still my favorite.

Feel free to correct every little error in my post, I know you can't resist.
This comment was edited on Nov 19, 14:28.

3. Re: slim tube CRT TVs Nov 19, 2004, 09:51 Absolution

I just bought a CRT this year. I've never liked Plasma. The picture isn't that great, it's over priced, and they have issues like burn in and low lamp life. LCD looks promising, but it's also expensive and has a ways to go. People only buy those because they are trendy and go well with their decorating scheme. REAL men don't care about such things and are willing to buy 250 lb behemoths in order to get the best picture. Rear projection has always been bad, but DLP looks very promising. I'd probably buy a Grand Vega if I could afford it. The picture is very nice on those. Once I move above 40" I'll probably go DLP, but that's only because it would take a crane to get a 40+" CRT in my home.

1. Speakers Nov 17, 2004, 09:32 Absolution

Summary of Home Theater Shopping list: Buy cheap products, get cheap sound. :/ Basically, he suggests buying speakers and receivers from companies with a solid history in such products (Paradigm, Klipsch, Yamaha, etc...). That means big bucks any way you look at it. If you want a quality receiver with 90+W per channel you're going to pay for it.

Any quality system (i.e. not your all-in-one home theater in a box) is going to be more than enough for the vast majority of people. The big jumps in performance are really from home-theater-in-a-box (probably a few hundred) to a mid range system with seperately purchases components (probably between 1 and 2 grand), and then from the mid range to the high end THX Ultra-2 certified beasts that aim to recreate and most times surpass your local theater in the room you probably specially built for the task (now we are talking over 10 grand). You need to be a serious audiophile to really care beyond that; however, if that is the case, you probably also want to spend a few grand on cables for the system and there really isn't much help for you.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Yes Nov 17, 2004, 08:59 Absolution

Half-life 2 is awsome.

Steam... not so much.

I'm on dial-up and it took me 45 minutes to get a single player game installed on my computer. Boo!

Oh, and I think the G-man seems to stutter because his voice is sythesized. Which is cool because we are in store for some really nice mods.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 09:00.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2
30. What I want to know Nov 16, 2004, 08:53 Absolution

Is how long does it take to authenticate a retail copy over dial-up? Is it just a matter of a handshake or do you have to download some bloat? I hope it's not the latter. I'm going out to get mine this afternoon.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 08:53.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Voodoo 2 Patch
17. Hmm Nov 15, 2004, 11:56 Absolution

I like all the eye candy kiddies bashing the port. Of course, in this case they may have a point because it's not like you play Doom 3 primarily for the gameplay. I'd like to make the argument that even if it looked bad (and actually it's not as terrible as some are saying) it would be good enough because gameplay is what's important, but this is Doom3. :/ And, I'm not bashing Doom3 here because it is what it is and doesn't pretend to be something else. It's a mindless shooter, but also a very impressive technology demo. So, aside from demonstrating your leet haxorz skillz, getting it to run on old hardware is somewhat pointless.

Gameplay will always be the priority over graphics. You can put a bow on dog crap, but it's still... You get the idea.

46. Remembrance Day Nov 11, 2004, 15:39 Absolution

I also thank those who fought and fight for the freedom I enjoy today. Even though many like to poke fun of its current state, the Canadian military deserves just as much recognition as any other and I thank them.

12. Re: Ban Comic Sans Nov 11, 2004, 09:04 Absolution

Andale Mono - love it, use it.

News Comments > Star Wars RTS Revealed
17. Re: BIT@H Slap this guy Nov 10, 2004, 12:17 Absolution

This game will take the (real-time strategy) genre in a new direction and will balance gameplay between the hard-core gamers who buy these games and the broader audience that's familiar with the "Star Wars" brand.

Kiss o death. I read we want to make this game fun for people who play our console games.

Pretty much. Get ready for auto-everything. You'll probably control at most 3 main units and the rest will pretty much run on autopilot. And forget about things like macromanagement, multitasking or anything else interesting. Now, why does that sound familiar?

I'm praying that Starcraft 2 will save us and put the S back in RTS, but I'm also not holding my breath.

News Comments > New NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
6. Re: Highlights Nov 9, 2004, 14:21 Absolution

To use all 512MB of memory just for a single frame buffer, you'd need to run at 8000x8000, for 32-bit color and 32-bit Z-buffer
I agree it's probably a terminology mistake, but I can think of a reason to do the above.

Film grade rendering.

That would be nice if there were a monitor that could support it. Probably around 4000x4000 we won't need anti-aliasing anymore. At a certain point more pixels aren't going to help image quality on any reasonably sized monitors. Let's put that extra power towards things like real-time global illumination and ray-tracing.

7. SoundMax Nov 9, 2004, 09:24 Absolution

Built into my ASUS P4C800 Deluxe is a SoundMax audio chip and it's better than any pci board I've owned.

14. Outlook Nov 8, 2004, 11:45 Absolution

I've always used Eudora (+Spambayes) and it serves all my needs. It's free too for the sponsered version and the ads are unintrusive. Oh, and spambayes is great. Between that and my ISPs filter, I have received about 1 spam email in the last 6 months. I almost opened it because I momentarily felt proud of the guy who could get 1 unsolicited email past all of that. Thankfully, that moment was infinitesimal and I promptly sent it off to spambayes for classification.

News Comments > Mac DOOM 3 Preorders
6. Re: This just in Nov 3, 2004, 15:56 Absolution

The difference will be that in the game, you can only use Apple branded batteries in your flashlight. Any other kind and the flashlight won't work...

Well yes, but the flashlight will be ubercool and skinable. Also, your BFG will have a built in vase for your daily flower pickings.

News Comments > Mac DOOM 3 Preorders
2. This just in Nov 3, 2004, 15:22 Absolution

Mac Doom 3 preorders smash previous preorder record for Macintosh of 10 with a cool dozen. Id is hoping that upon release, all 25 high-end Mac users will have purchased the game. The remaining majority of Mac users are expected to baulk at the game as it is not pretty enough to be loaded onto their machines.

We caught up with several Mac users and here is what they had to say:

"Like OMG, that box is just nasty looking. That game totally doesn't go with the colour of my Imac or my VW Beetle."

"Umm, if I can't control it with one button, I don't want to know about it."

53. More on everybody's favorite singer Oct 29, 2004, 15:33 Absolution

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/28/60minutes/main652196.shtml

Funny stuff.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
108. Re: PACKET!! Oct 22, 2004, 20:45 Absolution

>>>b) Runs processes in the background
>>>when I'm not even using it.

I just turn it off. It's not that hard. Right click -> exit.

Firstly, that's annoying to have to do.

Second, some programs won't let you.

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 21:30.

141 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo