Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 201 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA Gets Physical
28. Re: Cool Mar 20, 2006, 14:37 BIGtrouble77

I have no issues with including physics processing onboard, but they're including proprietarty technology. Now there's a good chance that ATI includes a totally different stanadard. Now we have fragmentation.

I have a feeling that this is going to come back to bite us. Nothing good comes out of being forced to use proprietary standards. Are gonna have to pay a Havok tax on these cards in the future?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations II Patch Plans
23. Re: huh? Mar 15, 2006, 17:39 BIGtrouble77

I bought a Drengin.net account (now called total gaming) to get GalCiv1. It was $75 I think. From that $75 I got Galciv1, the Alterian Propecy addon(got to beta test), The Corporate MAchine, the Political Machine, Gish (undependent game of the year for 2005) and Uplink. In addition, I got to betatest GalCiv2 and own the final version.

I also got these games which I never played:
Celtic Kings
Disciples II
RObin Hood: Legend of Sherwood
World War II: Frontline command
Nexagon
Lightweight Ninja

Plus a whole bunch a credits to download from a pool of about 30 additional games. I was absolutely amazed. Granted alot of the games are crap, but some are actually pretty good.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 17:40.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Six Vistas Mar 6, 2006, 18:04 BIGtrouble77

I'm using Ubuntu on my laptop right now, and use Gentoo on all of my other machines.

I thought that article was kinda funny because it sounded like those guys talking never really used linux and were just throwing around the idea of switching over. The reality is, if you've become dependent on MS software then you're gonna be stuck for the long haul.

It was so much work to get my company to be OSS friendly, but I accomplished it. I now have Linux and Windows desktops living in harmony. It took me 6 months of intense self education to get to the point of being comfortable administering linux servers and desktops. There is no way Vista will ever make it on my network.

I just don't think these guys have a clue about how to go about doing that. Novell isn't gonna be the force that makes linux viable, we just need admins that aren't morons.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Stern suit... Mar 4, 2006, 14:11 BIGtrouble77

I listened to Stern since '95 till he moved to Sirius. I listened mostly out of habit. I really didn't care for him that much but he's was alot better than the competition.

I have to say, tho, he was so out of control the last few months of his contract. I can't imagine any employer putting up with that. Unfortunately for CBS there was too much money on the line to silence him.

Now Stern's show is a constant infomercial about how great he is and how bad David Lee Roth is. I don't like what the FCC did to stern, in fact I think they were borderline criminal in their approach, but Stern is now a bitter old man that has completely lost sense of reality.

Good Riddance.

News Comments > Friday Game Reviews
5. Re: Galactic Civilizations II Mar 3, 2006, 23:17 BIGtrouble77

I haven't touched the campaign yet. Been playing the sandbox mode a few times. So far it's great fun. So much room for different style games depending on the choices you make.

I'm about 4 hours into a game at intelligent level and am holding my own at the moment. Using some strategies I've come up with from my fist couple games. If I can win then I feel bad for this AI that everyone is saying is so amazing...

News Comments > Games at Retail
5. Re: Well Feb 28, 2006, 16:40 BIGtrouble77

Their digital download system is the best i've seen to date. No drm, no memory resident programs, frequent updates, constant content updates, unlimited installs, etc. Plus they let you beta test their games if you have a Stardock account.

News Comments > Sims 2: Family Fun Revealed
11. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2006, 12:01 BIGtrouble77

I have to say, tho, there are some games i'd love to have a zillion expansions for so I can't blame the developers. I'm sure there are many people that love all of the addons.

I only played the original Sims2 a few times, but it seemed to be a pretty compete game.

News Comments > GalCiv2 Patch Plans
4. Re: huh? Feb 24, 2006, 17:08 BIGtrouble77

I'm a strat game junkie and this is hands down probably the most fun strategy game i've played to date. I'm definately enjoying it more than civIV which I really like too.

As far as bugs go, I'm just dealing with frequent drops to desktop. By frequent I mean about every hour or so. To work around it I just updated the auto save every 2 minutes rather than 5.

It's also worth mentioning that stardock is the greatest online game distribution service hands down. There's absolutely no DRM and updates are very frequent and you can download the game as many times as you like.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Crap GalCiv Preview Feb 21, 2006, 12:39 BIGtrouble77

Fist off there's no multiplayer as the previewer states exists. There's only the metaverse to compare single player game scores.

He also criticizes the graphics as flat, but fails to mention that the game can run at any resolution beyond 1024x68 and that the camera has full rotate capabilities.

Sounds like he just read the marketing info and glanced at a few screenshots. Blue, why do you endorse these ultra crappy reviews? Some of these review sites you link to are pathetic.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: windows genuine authentication foiled Feb 12, 2006, 01:05 BIGtrouble77

Innocent, are you kidding? If not, just search ms update and javascript and you'll be good to go.

News Comments > Dear Diaries - Halo 2 PC
14. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2006, 21:19 BIGtrouble77

Why can'y MS just release a small footprint game os? I'd actually buy it. I will not be using Vista in any capacity because it is so freakin' anti consumer. The Sh*t ms is trying to pull with vista is amazing.

It's so disturbing that i've almost entirely switched over to linux which has been a phenominal experience.

News Comments > Dear Diary - Gal Civ II Demo Plans
3. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2006, 14:10 BIGtrouble77

I've been playing the beta for a while. I'm having alot of fun with it, but I haven't gotten very deep yet.

The fact that this game runs at any resolution is a huge plus. It looks gorgeous at 1920x1080.

Hopefully people will notice that galciv1 was getting enhancements more than a year after it's release.

Finally, I'm happy they concentrated on the single player aspect and AI. A multiplayer addon is a better idea, but I won't be buying it.

News Comments > Tesseraction versus DreamCatcher
25. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 23:21 BIGtrouble77

No. We don't have to do a goddamn thing, you fucking shit mcmuffin. Uwe Boll still manages to produce film after film of the most horrible crap you'll ever see, but that doesn't mean he deserves any respect. Look, Smart has lied, flamed and sued his way through his entire life, and where i come from we don't give people like that any credit. Not even a little. That's like saying "hey, you gotta give Charles Manson some credit, that guy sure knew how to murder people!" And you know, Charles Manson has a following too... hmm...

There are many, many more people in this world that deserve your respect over Dr. Derek Smart DDS PhD MD. You won't get any fucking sympathy from me or most likely anyone else here (besides Hellbinder) if you're going to positively reinforce this douchebag. You, sir, can take your "credit" and shove it up your fucking ass.
Brilliant, thanks for putting me in my place so eloquently.

21. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 22:45 BIGtrouble77

If you have a different opinion, feel free to post it as I'd like to hear it.
I don't have an opinion of this subject. I just wanted to hear dsmart's comments but you guys flame him off way too quick. You gotta give the guy a little credit, he does get his games published and he does seem to have a following.

17. Re: Are there ... any honest publishers Feb 1, 2006, 21:09 BIGtrouble77

To the parallax dude,
I've been lurking these boards for a very long time. For some reason I think you've stated you you were, in fact, in the game industry. Can you point me to some of your credentials? At least with dsmart we all know that he's successfully published a bunch of titles, asshole or not. Just wanna know how seriously I should take your posts because I think they are mostly full of shit. Please prove me wrong.

News Comments > Civilization IV Patch Plans
12. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2005, 09:28 BIGtrouble77

Thanks Plink, not sure how I could have missed that. I'll have to check it out tonight. I knew there had to be a better way to find those units rather than scanning the map.

News Comments > Civilization IV Patch Plans
9. Re: No subject Nov 17, 2005, 08:47 BIGtrouble77

The only glaring problem I've had to deal with is that it's sooo difficult to manage attacking barbarians and enemy forces late in the game.

I only play in humongous maps, so keeping track of the invading forces becomes really difficult because the invade graphic disappears so quickly. They should keep a little menu open of all the enemy forces on your land.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 08:48.

News Comments > Darwinia Gets Steamed
3. Re: Woohoo Nov 15, 2005, 14:32 BIGtrouble77

Does this mean the linux installer is no more???

News Comments > Strange Adventures in Infinite Space Source Code
3. Re: Source Code Nov 12, 2005, 21:37 BIGtrouble77

Hopefully someone makes a linux version. I'd definately make graphics and music for a project like that if given the chance.

News Comments > New Darwinia Linux Demo
3. No subject Nov 6, 2005, 22:46 BIGtrouble77

I'm trying this one out. So far it's interesting... Not sure if I could really get into in the long term. I love the stylistic approach, tho. Hey, I gotta support publishers that take a chance on linux by at least trying the demo.

201 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo