Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 336 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 15:23 BIGtrouble77

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 14:18:
Mack is entertaining but his revisit of H1Z1 is a bit off. But like he says he is simply stating his opinion of it being "worth-a-buy" not reviewing it.

Yeah, I get that about him, but his reviews have been very consistent with the games I have so I usually give him the benefit of the doubt. I want to buy one of the these zombie survival games, but they all seem incredibly flawed.

I'm just amazed that Total War: Attila is so far down the list, isn't that still considered a AAA franchise?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 13:45 BIGtrouble77

So how long is this age of "post-apocalyptic zombie survival crafting games" going to last? The Worth a Buy on H1Z1 showed me enough to stay a mile away, at least for now.  

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
75. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:15 BIGtrouble77

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
That's very PC these days.... anyone saying anything negative or potentially "hurting someone's feelings" is considered "bullying".

So, I guess the bottom line is... I (and others, apparently) take issue with you labeling the interview as "bullying". Badgering... maybe... Bullying... I disagree, mainly because it's so easy to label anything harshly non-PC into that category, these days. TOO Easy.

Fair enough, that word has a lot of baggage. I think I made my point that I don't feel the punishment many feel he deserves fits the crime.

73. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:06 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:02:
That is why I go to the Cube winner.

It is mean spirited having a contest, that is what that was and then not pay up to the winner in which you pocketed money from that contest. That is a very big no no. Do that anywhere, local raffle and you will see venom from your surroundings, EVERY EVERY TIME. That is why I consider that situation the lowest point.

Hell I'm even a social liberal, but we even have to have a bar somewhere, right?

He said he still plans to reward the Cube winner, but it's contingent on finishing the game. Not saying that fixes everything, but if he still delivers and delivers with a better, more complete game, does that ultimately make this issue right?

70. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:00 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:54:
I have no problem believing that, he's still wronged people, one shamefully. This isn't world peace at stake, he has a condition, we all do, he's a dreamer, but there is a reality part to any dreamer that still exists which everyone has to live in. I don't want to afford him as being the victim in this case, as he tried to make is sound with the RPS interview, Clint said it best "A man has to know his limitations". Like you, like me, we have to see our bad patterns and improve upon them.
Pretty much what I was trying to say, but much more elegantly.

62. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:45 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:36:
And just for the record, the tone in that interview was simply that of one scorned fan. And if you have fans that hate you, maybe you should rethink your PR strategy and not do interviews like this? Nobody forced him at gunpoint to talk with RPS (Which is what it would take to make me talk with em ;p).

Very true, but there would have been blowback from cutting the interview short as well. Even the most wildly successful companies are going to have their scorned critics so there's nothing positive to gain from sparring with them in public.

59. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:36 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:26:
As far as I - and many others - are concerned he's getting off lite. I'd personally like to see that fucker lose everything. Couldn't happen to a more deserving person. The reason people like him get away with their shit is people like you. Grow a pair and start holding people accountable for their actions FFS.

This is what I'm talking about, your interest is seeing him "loose everything". The dude shipped: Populous Series, Powermonger, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet Series, Dungeon Keeper, Black and White Series, Fable Series

That's an impressive run. I can't say I've even achieved a fraction of that. His crime is just getting too fucking excited about his projects and committing to a bit more than he can deliver. Yeah, that's not a great trait to have, not not worthy of deserving to "loose everything".

58. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:28 BIGtrouble77

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:18:
WSJ... part of the "Mass Pussification" of America that's on a mission to get everyone "Politically Correct".

That's what the hell is wrong with him.

So because I wrote code I somehow have editorial influence?

54. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:16 BIGtrouble77

Redmask wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:04:
This is such a bullshit argument. If it doesn't matter then why are you here talking about it? Different things matter to different people. Every person can't be out curing cancer or solving world hunger, its a fucking message board for video games so people are talking about video games.
No, you guys are talking about how you are enjoying watching this guy be publicly flogged. I take exception to that and the tone of RPS. Otherwise the situation is very interesting and relevant to me. The negative energy directed at this guy does not meet the "crime", imo.

53. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:12 BIGtrouble77

Yeah guys, it's fucking bullying. Sorry, don't mean to come off as a hotshot, just saying I have some real world experience with these things.

There's a difference between asking tough questions and what RPS did. Sorry but I don't agree, you guys are mean spirited and want to destroy a human, I just don't subscribe to that shit.

49. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 10:22 BIGtrouble77

I'm a developer myself, I'm a CTO and founder in a startup and worked for the WSJ for 8 years as a lead architect. Whenever I start a project, especially something that I'm leading, there's an incredible amount of positive energy at the start, everything is on the table and everyone's intentions are genuine. Problem is, once things settle and the economics of the situation flesh out, the picture can change quite drastically, but we all know that.

I think PM should have known better after 30 years in the business, but I see how the combination of Kickstarter, a marketing blitz and the excitement of a new project can lead to what ultimately happened. The problem is that the kickstarter supporters aren't going to be very open to some pivoting on the original idea especially if stretch goals and/or tiers aren't met.

I think the RPS interview was extremely mean spirited. Whether they were fair or not, it only existed to create a public shaming that benefits RPS' click counts. The reality is that there are still some capable guys working on the game, which is great, they may be able to get into a great groove and make some huge progress. Let give them a chance.

I did not back this project, I've never purchased a PM game, but I hate bullying. This guy deserves to be taken to task, but not bullied like this. Fuck all of you that enjoy and encourage this. Man, if you guys just directed this energy to shit that really matters...

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Early Access
2. Re: Offworld Trading Company Early Access Feb 12, 2015, 17:56 BIGtrouble77

This was on a holiday sale for like $12 not long ago. I didn't jump because there was nothing to play. Kind of disappointed this is going for so much, it looks like a great concept. I'm just not sure how this will turn out, Stardock seems to be stretched a bit thin.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
15. Re: Game Reviews Feb 12, 2015, 17:52 BIGtrouble77

Mack has stated many times that he's not a proper reviewer. He's just letting us know if the game is worth our money. Every review is very cost-centric. I personally think he's great, I've been following him since the mac and mesh days.

Only thing he does that pisses me off is when he goes off on misogynistic rants. I can deal with the language, but that shit needs to be tabled.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2/Total War: ROME II Free Weekend/Competition
6. Re: Company of Heroes 2/Total War: ROME II Free Weekend/Competition Feb 12, 2015, 17:41 BIGtrouble77

I'm finally trying out Rome... I've been holding off for ages. I still have Alea Jacta Est to play, which is much more up my alley, but I figured I'd give this a try. I can justify $15 if this is somewhat decent, but the truth is that Paradox and AgeOD have ruined all other historical simulators for me.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 27, 2015, 22:50 BIGtrouble77

Back in 2006 I bought WOW and obsessed over it for 3 months. I must have played around 4-6 hours a day. After the initial 3 month subscription ended, I lost my job (unrelated). I did some reflecting and couldn't figure out what the hell happened to the past 3 months, it was like I was in a coma.

I decided that I needed to apply that energy somewhere productive, so I challenged myself to learn web development and do it with the same intensity that I had with WOW. I ultimately managed to learn object oriented programming, ruby and built a few web apps in Ruby on Rails. I ended up getting lucky and got a good job which I'm still at 8 years later as a Senior Software Architect.

I absolutely love games, I always will, but I can't imagine what it's like for people who can't get out of the negative cycle. I guess if playing games that much makes you truly happy, then all the power to you. It just fucking depressed me once I realized my most basic needs weren't being fulfilled.

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
27. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 11:32 BIGtrouble77

Can anyone say where Skara Brae originated? I find it strange that this is a significant location in Ultima and Bard's Tale. I assume it originated in Bard's Tale as Lord British pretty much just took everything he was interested in at the time and jammed it into Ultima.  

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
40. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 12:22 BIGtrouble77

I worry that with each release we get closer to integrating xbox live as a first class citizen at the expense of Steam & GOG (perhaps with compatibility issues with older games?).

Microsoft is not a good steward for PC gaming, I'd much rather give my money to the guys focused on PC gaming as their sole purpose.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:17 BIGtrouble77

I think when Frontier originally discovered the glitch, they wanted to be cool about it and just let the players keep their newly gained fortune, but... they realized that It definitely affects the long term integrity of the game. These people (some innocent and some not so innocent) do not deserve to be the first players to get a $1 billion capital ship (if that ever happens) and they should not be able to saturate trade routes artificially.

Tough call to make, but I think Frontier is making the right decision. I would also argue that winning the glitch lottery effectively ruins the game for that player.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
18. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 23:22 BIGtrouble77

I can't believe the vitriol towards Steam Machines. Do you all honestly think Microsoft is a good steward for PC Gaming? I think Valve's interest are much more aligned with ours than MS'.

This is all about getting gaming on a Linux box so that Microsoft's iron fist doesn't continue to control the industry and hold it back. But you guys are in your comfort zone so I can see why this would seem so frightening.

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
14. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 19:49 BIGtrouble77

I'm a bit uncomfortable with VR in general because I already get sick from standard FPS' on my 27" monitor. I keep thinking my body will get used to it, but I just don't play games enough to get over this hump. This tech looks amazing, but if it exacerbates my issue I'll hate it.  

336 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo