Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 339 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Version 1.1
30. Re: Star Citizen Version 1.1 Mar 22, 2015, 23:20 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand why this just don't use Semantic Versioning like pretty much every one else does now-a-days: http://semver.org

Claiming SC is at or beyond 1.0.0 is just opening them up for massive amounts of criticism even if it's for just one of the modules. You can have each on the modules at or below 1.0.0, but for gods sake don't claim SC is at 1.1.

I played the free weekend thing and thought it looked fantastic visually, but that there was no game to speak of. There's great potential, but I don't see how they are getting to a polished product next year.

I think Frontier did things right with Elite... they took on a fraction of the scope and released something that was light on unique content, but has endless procedurally generated content. Now they just need to keep on adding new content on a regular basis to keep up with the community- the game keeps me busy, but I don't put in 6 hours a day on it.

I'm worried SC will eventually start to crumble under it's own weight as the realities of a monolithic project rears its ugly head.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 22, 2015, 13:40 BIGtrouble77

[VG]Reagle wrote on Mar 22, 2015, 13:36:
City building games are so lame. Call me when you can kill all the people and add nuclear weapons. Its right up there with the Sims.
There will be a mod for this unless there already is one.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 22, 2015, 12:06 BIGtrouble77

harlock wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 17:17:
there are thousands of adware infested apps in the app store.. apple doesnt give a shit about it - id consider it malicious but i guess they dont

I guess if they are using iAds then it's all good. My wife downloads this shit (unknowingly) all the time and it negatively affects her phone's performance. If you are going to impose a review process then filter out this shit too.

8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 22, 2015, 12:02 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 12:36:
What you're saying is the app review process is infallible but the let through these do nothing apps. Doesn't the latter fact invalidate the former opinion?

I'm not saying it's infallible, I'm just saying the review process mitigates things a bit and the sandboxing makes it nearly impossible to create a useful virus detection app.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 22, 2015, 11:37 BIGtrouble77

I'm puzzled at how we started with BF: 1942 and ended up at Hardline. Seems like a lesson in how to systematically dumb down and destroy a ground breaking franchise.  

2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 21, 2015, 10:22 BIGtrouble77

Xil wrote on Mar 21, 2015, 10:00:
because there is no such thing as a virus in iOS, how dare these apps make people think that !!

Actually, you are correct, there are no known iOS virus' unless you jailbreak. The iOS sandboxing rules and app review process pretty much guarantee that. It's been proven that most of those apps do nothing, they don't have the system privileges to do anything useful. The question is why were they even approved in the first place?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2015, 19:55 BIGtrouble77

Romero's development chops have to be kind of weak if he's only churned out what's amounted to a handful of Flash games since leaving iD. I don't understand why he wouldn't use his notoriety to create something interesting in Unity/CryEngin/Unreal.  

News Comments > Civilization III Steamworks Update Live
2. Re: Civilization III Steamworks Update Live Mar 17, 2015, 12:08 BIGtrouble77

Amazing this game is still alive. It's one of the first games I did contract work on.  

News Comments > Joe Montana Football 16 Revealed
6. Re: Joe Montana Football 16 Revealed Mar 17, 2015, 12:06 BIGtrouble77

There's no American football games on Steam so just having this in a terribly mediocre state will essentially guarantee decent sales. I'm pretty certain it will ultimately have zero depth and play more like an arcade game.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Video
16. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 11:24 BIGtrouble77

Luke wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 11:09:
Alot of convincing going on here for those WHO think they are part of something...... Clown 's

I'm not on the hype train for this game one bit. I am so happy with how Elite turned out that this game delivering is just icing on the cake.

13. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 11:01 BIGtrouble77

Zor wrote on Mar 16, 2015, 10:46:
curious to know how you went about installing it?

code: SXSWFREEFLY2K15

http://bit.ly/1bbPvUh

4. Re: Star Citizen Video Mar 16, 2015, 10:03 BIGtrouble77

I installed SC yesterday to take advantage of the free week. Putting all the hype and ridiculous promises aside, I like what I see. It is beautiful and it felt pretty good. It does feel more like a tech demo, but I expected that considering the early stage of development.

This game has become the Waterworld of crowd sourced games. People are offended by the excess of money and are extremely skeptical that the promises will be met. The only thing I worry about is the pay to win aspect. In elite it took me forever to get my fully decked out ASP and I'm still far from getting an Imperial Clipper. But the path I took to get to where I am is the game. I don't know what the SC game will be like when people start out with ships that should take a year to acquire.

With all that said, SC looks good and I will definitely be buying in with the crappiest ship possible. The game may ultimately turn into a misguided mess, but it doesn't look like it's going that way right now.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
22. Re: Mar 15, 2015, 19:41 BIGtrouble77

Ant wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 15:37:
After I made a new account. :/
I probably have a space. I did and got the same error.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
34. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 13, 2015, 23:33 BIGtrouble77

Bought it the other day, figured I'd play for 10 minutes to see how it ran... Well 10 minutes turned into 45, or so I thought. I had no idea I completely zoned out for 3 hours on this game.

The killer feature is the districts, I had so much fun with Farmland battling it out with Progressville (ore industrial). Then the traffic issues hit and it was time for bed.

News Comments > Star Citizen is Huge
88. Re: Star Citizen is Huge Mar 12, 2015, 17:31 BIGtrouble77

IMO, the only way to make a game of this scope manageable is to have a considerable procedural component. I think Elite does it masterfully.

The scope of SC is just ludicrous. If you seriously need 100gb patches then you failed. Code should never be that large compressed. This obviously means BS like assets and cutscenes are being pushed in updates.

If these truly are "module" then they should be able to work independently and synchronize with a centralized system... that way update could also be modular. I build and design large scale systems, we call this vertically scaling systems. That means everything scales in one huge beast. Something like this needs to be horizontally scaling, each module needs to work independently and gather state from another system.

I'm almost certain this is what Elite does, it has Redis packaged so it's obviously doing some kind of data caching or state management to handle the BILLIONS of star systems that are in the game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 12:25 BIGtrouble77

I get sick from playing FPS games with a wide FOV. If these headsets ever launch, motion sickness rate is going to be one of the biggest selling points for me. I really hope this is true as I can't even consider an Oculus at this point.  

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 15:43 BIGtrouble77

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 15:23:
I'm curious on what vitriol though and from who.

I'm mostly referring to the trolling, the threats going back and forth, mostly stuff on twitter. I think Brianna Wu is displaying vitriol, but it pisses me off that asshats troll her with death threats- she is practically a martyr now. Wardell get death threats quite often, he engages his 'attackers' on twitter and seems to keep a level head.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 14:57 BIGtrouble77

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 13:44:
He's also the first big name former dev to publicly attach his name. There are also several people at other major studios who've come out in support for GG

Is Brad Wardell of Stardock a big name ceo/dev? He's about as pro GG As you get, just without the vitriol.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 27, 2015, 09:55 BIGtrouble77

Cool story, but man I would have had a million questions for the guy, that article is criminally short.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 15:10 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 13:39:
But you can thank Andrew Wakefield and Jenny McCarthy for the shit you had to go through.
Agreed, these people have no concept what life was like before vaccines. Living in a world where it's accepted that there's a pretty decent percentage that you may die from one of these horrible diseases is a heavy burden.

My wife and I just felt that it was better to use a schedule that had decades of proven results rather than the more current ones that are extremely hard on an infants body- remember that a vaccine is and agent that replicates a disease-causing microorganism, so applying many of these at once is probably safe, but I'd rather go with what I'm sure is safe.

This was 6 years ago at the height of McCarthyism so you are probably right.

339 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo