Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 304 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 5, 2015, 12:25 BIGtrouble77

I get sick from playing FPS games with a wide FOV. If these headsets ever launch, motion sickness rate is going to be one of the biggest selling points for me. I really hope this is true as I can't even consider an Oculus at this point.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 15:43 BIGtrouble77

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 15:23:
I'm curious on what vitriol though and from who.

I'm mostly referring to the trolling, the threats going back and forth, mostly stuff on twitter. I think Brianna Wu is displaying vitriol, but it pisses me off that asshats troll her with death threats- she is practically a martyr now. Wardell get death threats quite often, he engages his 'attackers' on twitter and seems to keep a level head.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 2, 2015, 14:57 BIGtrouble77

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 13:44:
He's also the first big name former dev to publicly attach his name. There are also several people at other major studios who've come out in support for GG

Is Brad Wardell of Stardock a big name ceo/dev? He's about as pro GG As you get, just without the vitriol.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 27, 2015, 09:55 BIGtrouble77

Cool story, but man I would have had a million questions for the guy, that article is criminally short.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 15:10 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2015, 13:39:
But you can thank Andrew Wakefield and Jenny McCarthy for the shit you had to go through.
Agreed, these people have no concept what life was like before vaccines. Living in a world where it's accepted that there's a pretty decent percentage that you may die from one of these horrible diseases is a heavy burden.

My wife and I just felt that it was better to use a schedule that had decades of proven results rather than the more current ones that are extremely hard on an infants body- remember that a vaccine is and agent that replicates a disease-causing microorganism, so applying many of these at once is probably safe, but I'd rather go with what I'm sure is safe.

This was 6 years ago at the height of McCarthyism so you are probably right.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2015, 12:19 BIGtrouble77

Regarding the Vaccination story... I'm a huge proponent of vaccinations, I'd be an idiot not to, but the idea that you have any issues with the current scheduling immediately puts you in the group with the wackos is incredibly frustrating.

I decided to have my son vaccinated with the same schedule that my wife and I had 30 years ago (basically not getting them all at once, but all (eligible) within the first year of birth) and had the hep-b put off till he was one and a half.

I can't tell you the shit we had to deal with. One doc said our child's death would be on us simply for waiting till he was 1.5yrs for the hep-b, this being a vaccination for a sexually transmitted disease.

The current schedule is structured to get them all out of the way asap to account for the lowest common demoninator- irresponsible parents that don't follow through.

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2: Secrets of Aethera DLC Released
12. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2: Secrets of Aethera DLC Released Feb 20, 2015, 01:50 BIGtrouble77

zzokalj, thanks for taking the time to post here. You guys seem to be on a roll, I hope the dlc works out well. I'm going to have to circle back on this game again at some point, never gave it the attention it deserved.  

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Total War: ATTILA
7. Re: Ship Ahoy - Total War: ATTILA Feb 17, 2015, 17:54 BIGtrouble77

I'm enjoying Rome 2, it's worth $15, hardly worth $59. I'm also not playing the buggy and fundamentally broken version that came out at release.

I really wish Paradox, Matrix Games or TW series would take on Ancient Egypt or Ancient Sumeria. Kind of sick of Rome/Medieval/WW1/WW2 historical themes.

Kind of sad the Children of the Nile is the defacto Ancient Egypt strategy game.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 15:23 BIGtrouble77

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 14:18:
Mack is entertaining but his revisit of H1Z1 is a bit off. But like he says he is simply stating his opinion of it being "worth-a-buy" not reviewing it.

Yeah, I get that about him, but his reviews have been very consistent with the games I have so I usually give him the benefit of the doubt. I want to buy one of the these zombie survival games, but they all seem incredibly flawed.

I'm just amazed that Total War: Attila is so far down the list, isn't that still considered a AAA franchise?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 15, 2015, 13:45 BIGtrouble77

So how long is this age of "post-apocalyptic zombie survival crafting games" going to last? The Worth a Buy on H1Z1 showed me enough to stay a mile away, at least for now.  

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence
75. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:15 BIGtrouble77

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:06:
That's very PC these days.... anyone saying anything negative or potentially "hurting someone's feelings" is considered "bullying".

So, I guess the bottom line is... I (and others, apparently) take issue with you labeling the interview as "bullying". Badgering... maybe... Bullying... I disagree, mainly because it's so easy to label anything harshly non-PC into that category, these days. TOO Easy.

Fair enough, that word has a lot of baggage. I think I made my point that I don't feel the punishment many feel he deserves fits the crime.

73. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:06 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 12:02:
That is why I go to the Cube winner.

It is mean spirited having a contest, that is what that was and then not pay up to the winner in which you pocketed money from that contest. That is a very big no no. Do that anywhere, local raffle and you will see venom from your surroundings, EVERY EVERY TIME. That is why I consider that situation the lowest point.

Hell I'm even a social liberal, but we even have to have a bar somewhere, right?

He said he still plans to reward the Cube winner, but it's contingent on finishing the game. Not saying that fixes everything, but if he still delivers and delivers with a better, more complete game, does that ultimately make this issue right?

70. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 12:00 BIGtrouble77

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:54:
I have no problem believing that, he's still wronged people, one shamefully. This isn't world peace at stake, he has a condition, we all do, he's a dreamer, but there is a reality part to any dreamer that still exists which everyone has to live in. I don't want to afford him as being the victim in this case, as he tried to make is sound with the RPS interview, Clint said it best "A man has to know his limitations". Like you, like me, we have to see our bad patterns and improve upon them.
Pretty much what I was trying to say, but much more elegantly.

62. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:45 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:36:
And just for the record, the tone in that interview was simply that of one scorned fan. And if you have fans that hate you, maybe you should rethink your PR strategy and not do interviews like this? Nobody forced him at gunpoint to talk with RPS (Which is what it would take to make me talk with em ;p).

Very true, but there would have been blowback from cutting the interview short as well. Even the most wildly successful companies are going to have their scorned critics so there's nothing positive to gain from sparring with them in public.

59. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:36 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:26:
As far as I - and many others - are concerned he's getting off lite. I'd personally like to see that fucker lose everything. Couldn't happen to a more deserving person. The reason people like him get away with their shit is people like you. Grow a pair and start holding people accountable for their actions FFS.

This is what I'm talking about, your interest is seeing him "loose everything". The dude shipped: Populous Series, Powermonger, Syndicate, Theme Park, Magic Carpet Series, Dungeon Keeper, Black and White Series, Fable Series

That's an impressive run. I can't say I've even achieved a fraction of that. His crime is just getting too fucking excited about his projects and committing to a bit more than he can deliver. Yeah, that's not a great trait to have, not not worthy of deserving to "loose everything".

58. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:28 BIGtrouble77

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:18:
WSJ... part of the "Mass Pussification" of America that's on a mission to get everyone "Politically Correct".

That's what the hell is wrong with him.

So because I wrote code I somehow have editorial influence?

54. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:16 BIGtrouble77

Redmask wrote on Feb 14, 2015, 11:04:
This is such a bullshit argument. If it doesn't matter then why are you here talking about it? Different things matter to different people. Every person can't be out curing cancer or solving world hunger, its a fucking message board for video games so people are talking about video games.
No, you guys are talking about how you are enjoying watching this guy be publicly flogged. I take exception to that and the tone of RPS. Otherwise the situation is very interesting and relevant to me. The negative energy directed at this guy does not meet the "crime", imo.

53. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 11:12 BIGtrouble77

Yeah guys, it's fucking bullying. Sorry, don't mean to come off as a hotshot, just saying I have some real world experience with these things.

There's a difference between asking tough questions and what RPS did. Sorry but I don't agree, you guys are mean spirited and want to destroy a human, I just don't subscribe to that shit.

49. Re: Peter Molyneux's Vows of Silence Feb 14, 2015, 10:22 BIGtrouble77

I'm a developer myself, I'm a CTO and founder in a startup and worked for the WSJ for 8 years as a lead architect. Whenever I start a project, especially something that I'm leading, there's an incredible amount of positive energy at the start, everything is on the table and everyone's intentions are genuine. Problem is, once things settle and the economics of the situation flesh out, the picture can change quite drastically, but we all know that.

I think PM should have known better after 30 years in the business, but I see how the combination of Kickstarter, a marketing blitz and the excitement of a new project can lead to what ultimately happened. The problem is that the kickstarter supporters aren't going to be very open to some pivoting on the original idea especially if stretch goals and/or tiers aren't met.

I think the RPS interview was extremely mean spirited. Whether they were fair or not, it only existed to create a public shaming that benefits RPS' click counts. The reality is that there are still some capable guys working on the game, which is great, they may be able to get into a great groove and make some huge progress. Let give them a chance.

I did not back this project, I've never purchased a PM game, but I hate bullying. This guy deserves to be taken to task, but not bullied like this. Fuck all of you that enjoy and encourage this. Man, if you guys just directed this energy to shit that really matters...

News Comments > Offworld Trading Company Early Access
2. Re: Offworld Trading Company Early Access Feb 12, 2015, 17:56 BIGtrouble77

This was on a holiday sale for like $12 not long ago. I didn't jump because there was nothing to play. Kind of disappointed this is going for so much, it looks like a great concept. I'm just not sure how this will turn out, Stardock seems to be stretched a bit thin.  

304 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo