Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 249 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2014, 12:36 BIGtrouble77

There's nothing wrong with the 5"+ devices. People want them so companies make them, it's that simple. There's enough choice in the market to convincingly say this trend is customer based.

I have a iPhone 6+ and use it like I did my last phone, but it also takes the place of my iPad. I watch a lot of gaming videos on youtube and my old iPhone 5 just didn't have enough resolution or a large enough screen to get in enough detail. The 6+ just barely pulls it off, which is awesome because I didn't expect it would.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 18, 2014, 23:24 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 22:40:
Oh oh Don't get me started on Endless Space... while an OK game, it's also extremely dumbed down and simple. I actually supported that back in it's "whatever it was" phase.

Ha, I agree there. I could never get into that game but I sure do wish DW had it's graphical polish.

5. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 18, 2014, 13:47 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r, I almost exclusively play complex strategy games, may favs being from Paradox and Matrix games. I look at realtime pauseable games like Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis IV and Distant Words to be an evolution of the grand 4x turn based strategy games.

RTS' are generally about frantic resource management, DW is nothing like that. It's much closer to GalCiv in the way it plays. Everything you state above regarding what you want is covered in DW. With that said, I completely understand why you may not like DW, it's a game you really have to work at to find the gameplay that you find enjoyable. That's the nature of the Sim first, Game second approach that DW takes.

Anyway, I'll pick up GalCiv III since I loved the previous 2. I'm not sure I'll play it as much since it just seems like and upgrade to GalCiv II, but we'll see. I'm definitely not bitter about the 4x landscape, I think there's a lot of great stuff out there. Maybe you should try Endless Space?

3. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 18, 2014, 10:58 BIGtrouble77

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 18, 2014, 04:55:
I am sorry, but a 4x game where entire colonies build a single "factory" with literally no unique ideas that put it apart from the paint-the-stars-your-color bullshit that this genre stagnates in for 2 decades now.. just does not make me care ;/

Why can't developers make a proper 4x, with new ideas?

I guess you haven't tried Distant Worlds: Universe?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 15, 2014, 17:13 BIGtrouble77

I thought Bono's apology was sincere, he basically says U2 was a bit arrogant thinking people would love getting their music for free- he did use some big words so I assume some here may not have gotten that detail.

What Apple should have done is make the album available as a free iTunes download from the iTunes store. Doing that cheesy beam the album to everyone's devices by touching bono's hand was just horrific. The whole thing was misguided, but hardly something to be outraged over. The only people negatively affected were the ones that set their music to be automatically downloaded, which is not the iOS default.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne Arrives
1. Re: Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne Arrives Oct 14, 2014, 21:15 BIGtrouble77

Love this DLC, but I can't stand the $8 in minor DLCs, this should be part of the $15 package.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 15:22 BIGtrouble77

Beamer wrote on Oct 10, 2014, 12:53:

Yeah, never threaten to quit if you aren't willing to back it. Likewise, never accept a counter-offer if you give 2 weeks notice.

Also, I realize there was some significant entitlement in my "jump jobs" comment. I'm a single dude. I've lived in nearly every part of this country because, as a single dude, jumping jobs is pretty easy. I'm willing to move from the northeast to the south to the midwest to the pacific northwest. No skin off my back - my only pickiness is that I can't be in a city that sucks more than the one I'm leaving (a list that keeps shrinking.) If someone has a family or even just a spouse, that's not quite as feasible.

I agree, I have never done heavy negotiating without having something in my back pocket that I was content falling back on. It allows me to go into these types of discussions with unwavering confidence.

As far as performance is concerned, where I work this is a farcical game. The current director of engineering has told everyone that he expects us to produce 1,000 lines of code a week and actively tracks our number of github commits. As a result, he's created a metric that everyone now games. People do commits that just move code around for no real purpose other than to look busy.

The worst part is, if I go in and clean something up, my code deletions are not in his metric, so I actually end up hurting myself. This escalated to HR after I was criticized on my yearly performance review for not contributing enough lines of code despite the fact I'm effectively a manager and pair program with many of the people I train.

I can't imagine the environment MS' stack ranking created, it must have been insane for the people involved. The CEO's comments are born out of the same arrogance that forms when one is separated from the people that work on the front lines for an extended peroid of time. Hillary Clinton did the same thing when she forgot to tip a waitress a few years ago, it never occurred to her since her servants are always handling these things.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2014, 10:50 BIGtrouble77

Every significant raise I've ever gotten (as a software developer) was a result of threatening to leave. It's not a malicious thing, it's just reality. I get a max automatic 3% yearly raise. I've gotten up to a 50% raise just by requesting to switch departments. I seriously doubt the MS operates differently.

I have noticed that women where I work are less likely to be bold in this regard. I don't think they are discriminated against, the men just seem to know how to play this game better for some reason.

News Comments > Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday
18. Re: Star Citizen at $56M; CitizenCon Friday Oct 8, 2014, 10:27 BIGtrouble77

Since the elite beta 2 has come out, I'm quite convinced that I chose the correct horse in this space (pun intended). Elite's star mapping system, open sandbox and commodities market are turning out to be really killer features. This game has true vision and it's reflected in the product I'm playing.  

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 6, 2014, 18:29 BIGtrouble77

dj LiTh wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 16:33:
If i was makin that kind of money and could afford multiple pairs, i'd be sporting nothing but these audeze cans
Amen.

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2014, 18:24 BIGtrouble77

I was ready to buy Life is Feudal the other day, but Mac's review confirmed my biggest fear. I don't want to grind on something that's currently incomplete and unsatisfying. I'll wait till this is complete and will most definitely be picking it up, but this just doesn't look like a good title to pick up on early access.  

News Comments > Front Page Sports Football Released
1. Re: Front Page Sports Football Released Oct 2, 2014, 19:38 BIGtrouble77

This is one of those things I'd buy site unseen, but then I glanced at the steam reviews...

You;d think the people that made this game would at least understand what the expectations are with this IP. The fact that it appears that they didn't come close to meeting them means I will most likely never buy this game. You seriously can't change player names and 4 yard penalties?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 30, 2014, 17:54 BIGtrouble77

Loopy wrote on Sep 30, 2014, 17:45:
They think the iPhone 6 makes you look funny? Wait until I start walking around holding my tablet up to my head!
Or wait until those google glassholes put computers on their face, haha, I'm so fucking clever.

People buying a product they find useful does not mean they are sheep or less informed than you douches. So sick of the negativity and holier than thou attitude you all have here.

News Comments > Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY Released
1. Re: Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY Released Sep 27, 2014, 17:57 BIGtrouble77

I'd love to pick this up, but I would need to clear my calendar to justify the price and learn this beast.  

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches
2. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Launches Sep 26, 2014, 21:22 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2014, 21:16:
Looks pretty good. Anyone playing it?

I picket it up for $9 a month ago, but have not had much time with it. Space Game Junkie loves it tho:
http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/previews/starpoint-gemini-2/

He did an interview with one of the devs which convinced me to pick it up, they still have big future plans.

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 25, 2014, 10:21 BIGtrouble77

I have a 6 Plus and find it really hard to see how someone could bend this thing and not realize it. I wear skinny jeans and the phone fits really nicely, I don't feel any concerning pressure.

That said I'm 6'4", so my long legs may make me an outlier.

News Comments > Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans
10. Re: Double Fine Taking Heat for Spacebase DF-9 Release Plans Sep 20, 2014, 15:18 BIGtrouble77

The game isn't bad, it just doesn't come close to reaching it's potential. These types of Rogue-likes generally have an extreme amount of depth, by comparison this game is pretty shallow.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 14, 2014, 08:24 BIGtrouble77

But what I'm suggesting is at the core of what Radio Shack was in the 80's. Selling cell phones and bluetooth headsets came later. Like others have said, they are competing in a commoditized industry that's being obsoleted. I would gladly go to that store and pay a few bucks more if they were all about DIY electronic projects. Nothing like that exists today, sadly.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2014, 13:01 BIGtrouble77

I always thought Radioshack had a huge opportunity to get into the enthusiast PC components business, they would have been really well positioned after CompUSA went under.

Today they should be the goto place for picking up arduino/raspberry pie micro controllers and parts. They should be the place to build and buy quadcopters. Instead they decided to sell commoditized cell phones to redneck and ghetto clientele. How could that have gone so wrong?

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
8. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 20:09 BIGtrouble77

I picked up a steam code on the Humble Bundle promo for $9. Kind of feel bad for picking it up so cheap.

I just paid more for my Crusader Kings 2 DLC.

249 Comments. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo