Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Nashville, TN 02/27

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 281 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Announced
27. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Announced Jan 25, 2015, 11:32 BIGtrouble77

Can anyone say where Skara Brae originated? I find it strange that this is a significant location in Ultima and Bard's Tale. I assume it originated in Bard's Tale as Lord British pretty much just took everything he was interested in at the time and jammed it into Ultima.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
40. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 12:22 BIGtrouble77

I worry that with each release we get closer to integrating xbox live as a first class citizen at the expense of Steam & GOG (perhaps with compatibility issues with older games?).

Microsoft is not a good steward for PC gaming, I'd much rather give my money to the guys focused on PC gaming as their sole purpose.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback
10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Economic Rollback Jan 9, 2015, 13:17 BIGtrouble77

I think when Frontier originally discovered the glitch, they wanted to be cool about it and just let the players keep their newly gained fortune, but... they realized that It definitely affects the long term integrity of the game. These people (some innocent and some not so innocent) do not deserve to be the first players to get a $1 billion capital ship (if that ever happens) and they should not be able to saturate trade routes artificially.

Tough call to make, but I think Frontier is making the right decision. I would also argue that winning the glitch lottery effectively ruins the game for that player.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
18. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 23:22 BIGtrouble77

I can't believe the vitriol towards Steam Machines. Do you all honestly think Microsoft is a good steward for PC Gaming? I think Valve's interest are much more aligned with ours than MS'.

This is all about getting gaming on a Linux box so that Microsoft's iron fist doesn't continue to control the industry and hold it back. But you guys are in your comfort zone so I can see why this would seem so frightening.

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
14. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 19:49 BIGtrouble77

I'm a bit uncomfortable with VR in general because I already get sick from standard FPS' on my 27" monitor. I keep thinking my body will get used to it, but I just don't play games enough to get over this hump. This tech looks amazing, but if it exacerbates my issue I'll hate it.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up
15. Re: Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up Jan 5, 2015, 13:14 BIGtrouble77

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 13:09:
You mean an Adder? It is cheaper I guess... Hmm... will have to do the math on upgrading it's FSD.

The Hauler is way cheaper: (just do 2 runs with this)
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Zorgon_Peterson_Hauler

Then get the Cobra:
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Cobra_Mk._III

The Cobra can do anything, it's the best multi purpose ship and it's very cheap.

13. Re: Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up Jan 5, 2015, 13:06 BIGtrouble77

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 13:03:
Yeah.. the cheapest would be Viper, but I have to buy it, upgrade the FSD probably at least to a B grade, (and the Power Plant?), the cargo holds -- that's a lot more than 300k.

I would buy a hauler and just use it for 2 runs of rare items which will net around $500k, then sell it for a Cobra Mk. III. Skip the Viper entirely unless you really want it over a Cobra.

Just do this run there and back: (you will need a good fuel scoop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeL9fJSmYMQ&index=3&list=WL

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up Jan 5, 2015, 12:57 BIGtrouble77

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 5, 2015, 12:52:
I only started four days ago, but getting over that beginning hump is a bit of a challenge. I have made about 300k (in probably 25-30 hours of play), half of which has gone into upgrades of the Sidewinder, but it seems like an upgrade to another ship is still a long ways away.

Once I figured out the rare item trade routes I was making almost that in one run. You may want to look into a bit of trading rares. You will need a Hauler with 20 tons of capacity (which means no shields).

Edit: actually, now that I think of it, I was making over 300k. Rares go for around 15k-17k each, times 20 tons of cargo capacity. It took me only 2 runs to get into a Cobra with some nice upgrades.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2015, 13:03.

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Server Issues Follow-up Jan 5, 2015, 12:46 BIGtrouble77

I have not had a single issue over the holidays except for 15 minute downtime for server restarts (at 2am), which only resulted in 5 minutes downtime for me. I only had one incident where I clicked on my hardpoints accidentally outside of a station and was immediately destroyed, despite not having any weapons equipped. Cost me about $1million since I had 100 tons of rare cargo + plus the insurance payout.

As for the cheating, there's always going to be players that are looking for max return on what they are doing, so if that means gaming the AI or cheating or just taking advantages of glitches, it's going to happen. These people only play to improve numbers.

On the other hand, just enjoying the game for what it is and getting immersed is what Elite is all about. If you get 100 million with no effort, then you missed out on 85% of the game. If you never experienced getting interdicted in a shieldless hauler with 300k of rare goods at your final destination, then you are missing out.

This game is an absolute blast in Solo mode, but I will start playing in open mode when I am financially secure. I'm not confident that all of the server issues are sorted out enough to do $4 mill trade runs in open mode. When I get to around $50 million in the bank I'll buy a few decked out ships to drop at certain locations so that I can get heavier into combat and not risk my massively lucrative rare items trade runs.

Anyway, the holidays went great for me, I went from about $200k to $8 million with around 20 hours of play. Came up with some great trade runs and have a maxed out Type 6, getting ready to buy a Type 7 soon. Good times.

News Comments > Christmas Eve Metaverse
6. Re: Christmas Eve Metaverse Dec 24, 2014, 20:30 BIGtrouble77

I'm thinking Apple doesn't want to be a part of this fucking circus. Sony should be ashamed, this whole thing is a joke on us.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 23, 2014, 17:57 BIGtrouble77

The reality is that Apple's hardware and software dev cycles need to be in sync for each yearly hardware release. This is always going to put a ton of pressure on the software dev team to release stable code with limited time with new hardware. In general, you probably want to buy a new iPhone after it's been out several months.

That said, I just used a relative's brand new (high end) Android device that runs an official build of Cyanogen Mod and it was simply awful. It crashed and had numerous glitches. Complete garbage. I have Nexus devices for testing that are mostly fine, but don't come close to what Apple delivers as far as functionality and stability are considered.

I love Android, I have many devices, but there's still a wide gap in quality.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 21, 2014, 16:39 BIGtrouble77

Rome II Total War seems to exists solely for these steam sales...  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
3. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite Dangerous Dec 16, 2014, 10:01 BIGtrouble77

The only stability issues I've had during the beta/gamma have been during the gamma phase. I really hope this release goes off well because I don't want it to be overshadowed by technical issues.  

News Comments > No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe
30. Re: No Elite: Dangerous Launch Wipe Dec 9, 2014, 12:21 BIGtrouble77

I've been playing as a trader and just bought my first Hauler. It would have really sucked if I lost this ship as I've put in a decent amount of hours to get the 53,000 credits.

I pretty much only play in Solo mode, mainly do trade runs, some exploration and the occasional mission. I absolutely love this game; I'm really looking forward to the Universe opening up after getting this ship.

The game has not changed at all in the past couple months except for additional polish. The people whining are justified in being annoyed by the policy changes, but it doesn't change anything we've already been experiencing. This game is still amazing and worth every penny.

Also, this game is not like a typical MMO, you are not at a severe disadvantage if you just have a sidewinder. I've seen videos of people easily defeating vipers with stock sidewinders. The dogfighting is more about skill than gear.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 8, 2014, 10:26 BIGtrouble77

Not surprised about Sprint's horrible customer satisfaction rating. My parents and I filed multiple FCC complaints with Sprint due to their horrible policies. Sprint also has the worst phone unlocking policy of any carrier in existence. They are the only carrier where it's nearly impossible to unlock an iPhone.

I hate Sprint, I hate the time they've sucked out of my life. I hope they die a painful death.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
21. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 7, 2014, 02:32 BIGtrouble77

So "Best Remaster" is a category worth mentioning but "Best Strategy/Simulation" isn't? Wtf is a Remaster anyway? Is that the new word for port?  

News Comments > Evening Patches
3. Re: Evening Patches Dec 5, 2014, 21:25 BIGtrouble77

I was able to pick up Xenonauts up at gog for %50 off during their sale. This game does not seem to go on sale often.  

News Comments > Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail
12. Re: Peter Molyneux Hitting The Trail Dec 2, 2014, 12:14 BIGtrouble77

"Christ, we've only got 10 days to go and we've got to make 100,000, for f**k's sake, let's just say anything"

Fraud: Fraud is a deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain (adjectival form fraudulent; to defraud is the verb).

News Comments > This War of Mine Recoups Costs in Two Days
6. Re: This War of Mine Recoups Costs in Two Days Dec 1, 2014, 19:04 BIGtrouble77

This game looks superbly executed, but the subject matter is just too depressing. I don't think I could sleep after playing this for an hour.  

News Comments > On Sale
15. Re: On Sale Nov 26, 2014, 09:42 BIGtrouble77

Are there any must haves on the Slithering/Matrix list? I already have Distant Worlds Universe (which is not on the list but on sale). I was thinking about grabbing Alea Jacta Est and Command - Modern Air / Naval Operations (but $50 is still really high).  

281 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo