Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 187 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bit
6. Re: Creative adds Sep 12, 2004, 18:12 BIGtrouble77

I was aware of this quite a while ago. This is why I will NEVER buy a creative product ever agian no matter how good it is. It also forced me to purchase a $25 program called Notmad Manager in order to use my Nomads without spyware infested software.

Also, because you can't find this specific file doesn't mean that your current creative software isn't doing the same thing, just in a different way. You need a software firewall to monitor outgoing traffic to truely know. Who knows, maybe it's transfering the marketing info when you do a CDDB request through playcenter (I'm assuming pc has this feature).

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 18:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
3. Re: definite dates Sep 1, 2004, 12:32 BIGtrouble77

I played the original one a couple times. I just didn't get it. Can a game last more than 3 minutes?

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Q&A
23. Re: Too much Teal'c Aug 30, 2004, 23:15 BIGtrouble77

A startgate RPG would be killer, something like galactic civilizations but tied closer to the stargate storyline.

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Q&A
11. Re: Too much Teal'c Aug 30, 2004, 12:37 BIGtrouble77

I personally enjoy both of the SG series. I just don't care for the episodes that center on the cast's personal lives.

Now the series was never that great, it just kind of grows on you over time. I have so much invested in the stupid show it's be a waste to stop watching.

With that said, I think the writers are doing a great job writing for 2 shows with such a small staff. Things are also looking more polished then they did years ago.

-BT

News Comments > Port Royale 2 Demo
7. Re: Can't get demo working :/ Aug 16, 2004, 22:54 BIGtrouble77

I have a very similar system and the game works perfectly. I believe i'm using directx 9.0b, tho.

News Comments > Port Royale 2 Demo
5. Re: Port Royale Aug 16, 2004, 16:43 BIGtrouble77

I found Port Royal to be tedious, Pirate Hunter fixed that but was way too dumbed down for my taste. This game actually looks fun. Ascaron's games are evolving pretty well.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: IE is evolving (not) Aug 12, 2004, 22:38 BIGtrouble77

I'm really happy that article also gave some props to Opera. It does cost $30, but damn it's impressive. Out of the box it's pretty horrendous looking, but it's so customizable that it becomes a moot point. And it renders pages lightning fast.

I still find myself directing people to firefox, tho. Mostly because casual users will not pay for something when there are so many free alternatives out there. It's so frustrating that firefox and opera render pages perfectly on my xslt web applications, but look like crap on IE. Problem is that the users are gonna assume my site is broken, never that their crappy OS integrated browser is the root of all their internet woes.

News Comments > Far Cry SDK
28. Re: Which Engine Should I use? Aug 2, 2004, 22:08 BIGtrouble77

"Honestly, for that type of project, I think that the Source engine from HL2 would work best."

That's what I was thinking, but I think i'm gonna goof with the far cry engine a little. I have sooo much prep work to do (modeling and textures) that the actual engine won't matter for some time to come.

-BT

News Comments > Far Cry SDK
11. Which Engine Should I use? Aug 2, 2004, 15:36 BIGtrouble77

I'm planning on starting a project to do a multiplayer wild west shootout mod. My main concern is the visuals being that i'm much more of an artist than a programmer. Now that all the tools are out I'm thinking about using the far cry engine. Would it be worth it to hold off and use the doom3 or HL2 engines?

News Comments > Impending DOOM
40. Re: Doom Dilemma Aug 2, 2004, 11:50 BIGtrouble77

"Us 'stupid' laymen know that if you take something without paying for it (when it has a sales price) - that's called stealing."

Geez Geese, I'm sure someone here can show you how to set up port forewarding so your doom3 torrents comes through quicker.

In all seriousness, better distribution models need to be employed to discourage pirating.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Previews
132. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 08:52 BIGtrouble77

I was using the wrong terminology and screwed everyone up. The conclusion of all of it is that the extra video memory required to power a second monitor (at 1280x1024) made the game run extremely sluggish. I have to disable the monitor whenever I want to play the game now:(

-BT

129. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 08:31 BIGtrouble77

"qigtrouble77, do you have 512MB of RAM on your videocard? Because that's what you need for Very High quality [as stated by iD, I didn't make this up]."

I screwed up, I meant 'High Quality".

44. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 22:19 BIGtrouble77

Found the root of my initial performance problems... The game doesn't seem to like having a second monitor enabled. I guess the guys at doom don't like using dual monitors, shame cause the game probably would have been out several months earlier if they did.

31. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 20:35 BIGtrouble77

"t's 512MB of video RAM, not regular RAM. AFAIK, there are not 512MB video card yet."

You only need 512mb for the highest setting and I think the only difference is that the textures are uncompressed- fixes some aliasing. My 256mb card works fine at the "very good" setting. I meant I have 1gb of system memory.

21. Re: Well crap... Aug 1, 2004, 19:45 BIGtrouble77

"Did you guys have it delivered to your house, or is it the torrent that you managed to get?"

It's all over the place now, the usenet and there are a few torrents. The game is amazing and I hope that the people that were planning on buying it still do even if they're able to download it. And that goes for every game, not just this one.

I have an athlon 2500+ overclocked to 2.33ghz, 6800gt, and 1gb of memory. The game runs perfectly at 1280x1024, very high quality and 4x antialiasing(haven't tried the higher settings yet). Those of you with older hardware should be fine.

18. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 19:38 BIGtrouble77

Not sure what the performance problem I had was, but it runs great now that I updated the drivers. I have 1gb of ram so i'm good there. I can't believe how well this runs at 1280x1024 with antialiasing.

6. Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 18:47 BIGtrouble77

I'm having some performance issues with Doom3 ATM. Before ya'll freak out I have the damn game pre-ordered. Running on Very High Quality with my 6800GT, I get great frame rates in spots, but it stutters quite a bit, like it's trying to load too many textures. Using the 61.76s, getting the 61.77s now. So far the visuals look quite a bit better than far cry's.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Trailer
244. Re: Current Profit Loss. Aug 1, 2004, 16:11 BIGtrouble77

I still think the best model for anti-piracy is stardock's (makers of galactic civilizations). They just keep supporting their games(bug fixes and added features) for years after they're released for those who purchased them. If you like the game, and you're a pirate, you'll eventually want to get the newest patches.

When calculating those torrent numbers you also have to realize that many people pirate games simply to have it- they may play it the night they get it, but that's about it. You can't consider that a lost sale.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Q&As
56. Re: No subject Jul 23, 2004, 10:08 BIGtrouble77

I thought i'd jump into the nvidia v. ati flame war. I'm not loyal to either side, my last card was a 9700pro AIW and I just snagged the PNY6800GT (this thing overclocks like a beast!).

Anyway, I had to use the directX drivers in 3ds max cause the radeon's openGL performance was absolutely horrific. ATI's drivers, in general, were a huge disappointment- I ended up using the Omega drivers most of the time. Nvidia's Nview desktop tools are just amazing if you have multi monitors... ATI lacks in this area bigtime.

Nvidia on the software end is just leaps and bounds beyond ATI so even if ATI does have the better hardware it's a moot point if the drivers suck.

News Comments > LucasArts Bash
7. Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 11:45 BIGtrouble77

It's amazing... in the early to mid 90's I considered LucasArts and Origin to be, hands down, the best two PC gaming companies. Jump 10 years, origin is no more and lucasarts is a pathetic shell of what it used to be. Darkforces and Xwing were great and innovative, but everything they make today is just a remake of what someone else developed with a starwars theme. That bores me to no end.

187 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo