Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 201 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Gold - Children of the Nile
2. Re: Jesus Oct 26, 2004, 19:34 BIGtrouble77

Despite the retarted name i'm actually interested in this. Children of the Nile sounds so damn sissy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Civilization IV Dawning?
18. Re: Dawning?? Oct 21, 2004, 21:47 BIGtrouble77

ack! ack! I'd recommend a 2-4 week course on Contracts at a local community college.

For someone just out of college it was a sweet gig, and a great potential resume builder(game companies expect you to have games under your belt to even consider you).

I only worked on the animations for about 2 weeks so it was not a huge waste, but I was disappointed to say the least. The biggest problem I had was rendering out the animations in max 2, on a 600mhz athlon- I found myself only sleeping between renders.

News Comments > Civilization IV Dawning?
14. Re: Dawning?? Oct 21, 2004, 14:32 BIGtrouble77

I was hired to do graphics animations for civ 3. I did the work, but because they didn't use it I didn't get paid. I think they were in panic mode when they went to CES and saw that they had fallen behind the ball and had to make serious changes (that's the explaination I got at least).

As a result eye candy was scrapped and more game features added(which I would normally prefer). I think the fact that many people don't like the game much is that it appears it was rushed out the door.

News Comments > Game Reviews
9. Re: Port Royale 2 review Oct 18, 2004, 22:51 BIGtrouble77

I wish I checked back on this thread earlier. Here's a few things you failed to mention in your crappy review:

1. Sea battle sequences are completely different than in PR1, and it's been a controversey in the PR community for quite a while.
2. New arcade style swashbuckling has been added (to the dismay of most)
3. New 3d visual enhancements, like nice reflective water.
4. New 'Captain Trading' feature to make auto trade routes much easier- much less micromanagement.
5. You now have the ability to start you own town (up to four) from the viceroy of each nation.
6. The game now only supports 1024x768, a downgrade from previous versions(which went up tp 1280x1024).

I can go on, but these are the most obvious. If you actually played both games, like you lead us to believe in the review, you would have most definately noticed these changes. Plus you also fail to mention anything about the rich game play late in the game, like missions to attack pirate hideouts, capture the spanish treasure fleet on it's way back to europe, establish you own towns... the list goes on.

In all honesty the review sounds like it came from someone who liked the idea of the game, just didn't have much patience to play it through. And to add insult to injury you posted the wrong screenshots. I was a little harsh in my first comment because it was more of an accumulation of reading crappy reviews for so long. I love this game and I just wanted you guys to give it the attention it deserves- both GOOD and BAD.
That's all.

-BT

This comment was edited on Oct 18, 22:57.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Port Royale 2 review Oct 18, 2004, 09:57 BIGtrouble77

This has got to be the worst review ever. All the screen shots are from the first game. Even the ones blended in with the article. As far as the content in the writing, there virtually is none- sounds like most of it came from Ascaron's press release.

Blue, I'd advise you not to post review from this site anymore. I love strategy games too much to support this hack of a website.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. PSP not looking good... Oct 8, 2004, 13:14 BIGtrouble77

The PSP is looking more and more like the Turbo Express every day- An incredably powerful and impressive piece of hardware, just not accessable to the general population. These things are gonna be returned so quick if the battery lasts less than 2 hours.

News Comments > Gold - Pitfall: The Lost Expedition
2. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 12:10 BIGtrouble77

Is this gonna be any different than the Xbox version released many months ago?

News Comments > More Daemon Tools & Knights of Honor
6. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 00:20 BIGtrouble77

I can't figure why, but I just love Germans trying to explain themselves in English.

News Comments > Knights of Honor & DAEMON Tools
18. Re: uhh Oct 4, 2004, 16:41 BIGtrouble77

Damn, and I wanted to snag this game. I'm not even sure it's gonna be available in the US anyway.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Horrible iPod review Oct 4, 2004, 16:35 BIGtrouble77

I agree about the style thing, but aren't hardware reviews supposed to look beyond that? I can understand some 13 year old teeni-booper getting caught up in that, but not some fat pipmly hardware reviewer who's style has to be 25 years out-of-date.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Horrible iPod review Oct 4, 2004, 09:02 BIGtrouble77

I'm getting so sick of these horribly biased iPod reviews. Seems like virtually every site reviewing them thinks their absolutely perfect. For all of you thinking of buying one consider these points:

-about half of the 4th Gen iPods have interference defects
-sound quality is relatively poor
-requires iTunes
-cannot be used as a portibale HD (it can but it's limited)
-forced to support Apple's DRM and lacks support for others (this could be a + or - depending on your stance on DRM tech)
-units are featureless(limited recording capabilities)
-cannot copy songs off the unit in a reasonable manner
-very expensive to have virtually no accessories
-headphones are crap (don't believe everything you read, these are good headphones for $4 price range)
-limited codec support (no vorbis?!?!)
-Even with the battery enhancement in later models it's still bad (iPod mini is atrocious)

On the plus side they are gorgeous and the scroll pad with the user interface is phenominal- far better than any other player out there. And it still is the smallest 20gb+ player. I still think the Rio Karma and iRiver H120/140 are leaps and bounds better.

-BT

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Knights of Honor
4. Re: Great game! Oct 2, 2004, 10:54 BIGtrouble77

Sadly, I don't think the game is gonna be release in the US. I am really impressed with Sunflowers with this one.

-BT

News Comments > Pirate Ships Ahoy - Port Royale 2
6. Re: Bad writing Sep 23, 2004, 13:53 BIGtrouble77

It is a good game but Ascaron has some MAJOR problems making their games accesable to US gamers. This press release is a wonderful example.

News Comments > Help Wanted
1. interesting Sep 15, 2004, 13:28 BIGtrouble77

Seems like an aweful lot of positions need filling for a game that was supposed to be out last october.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bit
6. Re: Creative adds Sep 12, 2004, 18:12 BIGtrouble77

I was aware of this quite a while ago. This is why I will NEVER buy a creative product ever agian no matter how good it is. It also forced me to purchase a $25 program called Notmad Manager in order to use my Nomads without spyware infested software.

Also, because you can't find this specific file doesn't mean that your current creative software isn't doing the same thing, just in a different way. You need a software firewall to monitor outgoing traffic to truely know. Who knows, maybe it's transfering the marketing info when you do a CDDB request through playcenter (I'm assuming pc has this feature).

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 18:13.

News Comments > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space
3. Re: definite dates Sep 1, 2004, 12:32 BIGtrouble77

I played the original one a couple times. I just didn't get it. Can a game last more than 3 minutes?

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Q&A
23. Re: Too much Teal'c Aug 30, 2004, 23:15 BIGtrouble77

A startgate RPG would be killer, something like galactic civilizations but tied closer to the stargate storyline.

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Q&A
11. Re: Too much Teal'c Aug 30, 2004, 12:37 BIGtrouble77

I personally enjoy both of the SG series. I just don't care for the episodes that center on the cast's personal lives.

Now the series was never that great, it just kind of grows on you over time. I have so much invested in the stupid show it's be a waste to stop watching.

With that said, I think the writers are doing a great job writing for 2 shows with such a small staff. Things are also looking more polished then they did years ago.

-BT

News Comments > Port Royale 2 Demo
7. Re: Can't get demo working :/ Aug 16, 2004, 22:54 BIGtrouble77

I have a very similar system and the game works perfectly. I believe i'm using directx 9.0b, tho.

News Comments > Port Royale 2 Demo
5. Re: Port Royale Aug 16, 2004, 16:43 BIGtrouble77

I found Port Royal to be tedious, Pirate Hunter fixed that but was way too dumbed down for my taste. This game actually looks fun. Ascaron's games are evolving pretty well.

201 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo