Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 212 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 14, 2014, 08:24 BIGtrouble77

But what I'm suggesting is at the core of what Radio Shack was in the 80's. Selling cell phones and bluetooth headsets came later. Like others have said, they are competing in a commoditized industry that's being obsoleted. I would gladly go to that store and pay a few bucks more if they were all about DIY electronic projects. Nothing like that exists today, sadly.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Sep 13, 2014, 13:01 BIGtrouble77

I always thought Radioshack had a huge opportunity to get into the enthusiast PC components business, they would have been really well positioned after CompUSA went under.

Today they should be the goto place for picking up arduino/raspberry pie micro controllers and parts. They should be the place to build and buy quadcopters. Instead they decided to sell commoditized cell phones to redneck and ghetto clientele. How could that have gone so wrong?

News Comments > Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer
8. Re: Starpoint Gemini 2 Nears; New Trailer Sep 11, 2014, 20:09 BIGtrouble77

I picked up a steam code on the Humble Bundle promo for $9. Kind of feel bad for picking it up so cheap.

I just paid more for my Crusader Kings 2 DLC.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Sep 7, 2014, 23:50 BIGtrouble77

I found Mac's YouTube channels by chance a few years ago; now I always look forward to his posts for a good laugh.

The only problem he has is that he's extremely misogynistic which has already gotten him some heat. He did a review of a Fire and Rescue game that just went too far.

I think his stuff is great, but kids watch his channel and Worth a Buy is getting more popular, so I think he really needs to reign in the highly offensive stuff.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 5, 2014, 22:50 BIGtrouble77

I'm not defending this practice, but the salaries in Silicon Valley are insane. I'm a lead architect at a very well know news organization in ny and effectively get paid 1/2 of what a mid-level web dev gets out there. I have a buddy that just got an entry level design job and he's getting $10k more than me. A mediocre dev I replaced transferred out there to a $250k job. Insane.

My wife vetoes any California talk so I won't be making my way out there, but man it hurts to know I could be making 2x what I am.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 1, 2014, 18:00 BIGtrouble77

For now I'm content that elite is shaping up to be exactly what I want. I'm concerned that SC is going to do what shroud of the avatar has done, which is make high paying backers first class citizens and the rest of us chumps.

I'm optimistic for SC, but I already know Elite is going to be a home run.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 31, 2014, 18:28 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand the logic behind pre-ordering a digital download either.

I think civ V is the last civ game I'm likely to buy... I've gotten way more enjoyment out of victoria II/crusader Kings 2/EU 4 to the point where I haven't even considered any of the civ V DLCs. Compressing the timeline (like eu4 does) makes the game so much more immersive.

I did contracting work on civIII so that nostalgia is still there, but I just don't find the games fun anymore.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Aug 29, 2014, 21:55 BIGtrouble77

Got Starpoint Gemini 2 on the Humble sale and "Rajas of India" Crusader Kings 2 DLC on amazon sale. Gonna be a nice little holiday.  

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 24, 2014, 16:54 BIGtrouble77

Every review of DayZ I've read says it's not that great so I'm curious why it's still so popular at $30.  

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway
30. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Beta Underway Aug 14, 2014, 17:45 BIGtrouble77

I will be buying this simply because of how great GalCiv II (still) is, but there are a lot of players today.

I'm not sure if this game can pull me from Distant Worlds any time soon. I'm also concerned that the game mechanics have not improved much. Hopefully the new scale is enough to make the game play less predictably.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 4, 2014, 18:49 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 11:53:
It's not called Ultima, but RG's kickstarted RPG seems to be proceeding along fairly smoothly.

I backed Shroud of the Avatar (at around $70) and am having buyers remorse. I'm not finding it all that fun and it's not visually great. I also find the instancing really annoying, it completely removes any immersiveness.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of Venice - Gold Edition
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of Venice - Gold Edition Jul 18, 2014, 21:14 BIGtrouble77

Is this just Port Royale 3/Patrician III hybrid?

I like these games, but once you figure out the game mechanics the fun is pretty much over.

News Comments > Sacred 3 Preorders
2. Re: Sacred 3 Preorders Jul 2, 2014, 21:02 BIGtrouble77

Did the people that formerly made up Ascaron make this or did they sell off the IP?  

News Comments > Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight
19. Re: Ubisoft's Newfound DRM Insight Jun 21, 2014, 12:30 BIGtrouble77

Flak wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 12:03:
Kevin Lowe wrote on Jun 21, 2014, 11:52:
Then why is the PC Master Race pirating their products in the first place? If you guys don't see value in what they're producing, then why spend time on them?

Anyone over the age of 18 who pirates games is just an asshole. I used to pirate hundreds of games as a kid...a kid with parents that wouldn't buy him conputer games, no access to money to buy said games, and unsupervised access to the internet and the Kazaa/Limewire craze of 10+ years ago...but again...that's when I was a stupid kid.

If you're an adult who has the means to own a computer powerful enough to play these games with an active internet connection and can't budget your life to afford a few games, you're simply an asshole who's stealing because you're too much of a cheap bastard. Don't blame PC gamers for the actions of children and cheap assholes who still live with mom at the age of 40.

I've retroactively purchased every game on Steam that I've pirated in my youth, my library I think just passed 300 titles, each that I purchased and most over $10 at the time of purchase. I honestly don't even remember the last game I pirated and I've probably pirated more software than the majority of 'pirates'.

Making blanket statements about piracy on PC proves you're either a troll, a complete dumbass, or an Ubisoft schill, or sadly maybe a combination of all three.

When I was a kid my perspective was so different than it is now. I had a limited ability to buy games myself so I had to be resourceful. I started a pirate BBS in the early 90's, moved to FTP sites, then graduated into usenet. After I started making a reliable income this all became more of a hassle that it was worth.

I can say with 10 years of experience pirating games, copy protection never once stopped me from getting what I wanted. On the other hand, copy protection in stuff I bought ultimately pushed my away from pc gaming until steam really started to take off. I know we all bitch about steam's drm, but it solved some major problems that made installing games not so much of a hassle.

I just bought FarCry3 on the steam sale yesterday and already have buyers remorse... had I known I'd need to sign up for uPlay I would have never bought it. So I'm not sure what this UBIsoft guy is proposing will fly with me.

The bottom line is just support the game well after release, offer high quality DLCs and use keys for online play. I've never seen anyone show evidence that this strategy is flawed.

News Comments > Xenonauts Released
10. Re: Xenonauts Released Jun 17, 2014, 18:04 BIGtrouble77

JaguarUSF wrote on Jun 17, 2014, 16:10:
Here's my video review.

Ha, I was just going to link you your review James- love your channel. I was really pumped about this game, but the fact that the battles are not randomly generated just killed the whole thing for me. If I'm mistaken on that detail, please correct me. That was the main draw of the original game for me. It's unfortunate because it looks like they really nailed some of the other parts of the game.

I think I'm going to hit up openxcom to get my fix first, http://openxcom.org/2014/06/openxcom-1-0/

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
22. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 13:42 BIGtrouble77

ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 11:31:
I don't believe CryEngine 3 is even available on Mac OS X, is it? CIG can't do a Mac version until they have Mac capabilities available upstream.
It is possible that SC team is aware of an OSX port of CryEngine that they intend to support, but can't commit publicly to it.

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
2. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 10:18 BIGtrouble77

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:58:
...just...lol...
Most of the Macs use Intel integrated graphics, so it really isn't a platform to consider :p

Umm, and you think this isn't also true for PCs?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 3, 2014, 12:41 BIGtrouble77

Pigeon wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 09:07:
Now you can play Candy Crush with 8xAA, 16xAF and full detailed shadows!!

Or you can play PC ports like "XCOM: Enemy Unknown" with 8xAA, 16xAF and full detailed shadows!!

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 2, 2014, 00:01 BIGtrouble77

NKD wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 21:54:
I can't play Distant Worlds because I can't read the font on my monitor :/ Haven't found a mod for it either.

A lot of people seem to have this problem. I think the fonts are easier to read in DW than Europa Universalis IV. I'm using a 27" iMac (2560x1440) which is only 109 dpi... I guess higher DPI monitors could be a problem.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 1, 2014, 20:50 BIGtrouble77

ASeven wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 17:35:
Nice to see Distant Worlds in the list. Despite its hefty price, it's easily the best 4x space game ever made and the devs are making a mistake pricing this game so high.

I was going to say the same thing. I'm in the middle of a game right now... once you figure out the mechanics it's so immersive and the scope is just incredible. DWs makes Galactic Civilizations II feel like child's play. It's insane that one person developed this game, what an achievement.

I'm quite certain this game will easily give me 200+ hours of enjoyment so $50 is a no-brainer.

212 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo