Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 337 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Arma 3 Video Diary
3. Re: Arma 3 Video Diary Jul 31, 2015, 01:34 BIGtrouble77

Amazing this is being produced as DLC And not an entirely new game. I've seen less progression in FarCry 3-4 than what I'm seeing here.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 26, 2015, 13:12 BIGtrouble77

I've been using AppleTV for a few years, but ever since I got my Tivo Roamio I've almost completely abandoned it. The Tivo can aggregate shows from the dvr, netflix, amazon prime and other services. Blows everything else I've used away.

For streaming my own content (movies and shows on a 4tb drive) I started using Plex on the Fire Tv. Only thing I use the fire tv for, but it's glorious(roku works just as well).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2015, 19:03 BIGtrouble77

DrSquick wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 15:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 14:14:
Apple To Axe Major Component In iPhone 7.

The walled garden?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

SIM cards if anyone wants to avoid the click bait title. It will be a hard wired internal SIM card so you can't change carriers.

"This would allow users to easily change carrier, without going through the rigmarole of switching-out sim cards and potentially having to unlock the device."

Just once I'd love to hear out an Apple naysayer that actually has some factually true and compelling to say.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 16, 2015, 14:59 BIGtrouble77

I'm in the process of moving to Canada from the US and this is the first thing my son noticed when we visited BC a few weeks ago. The ironic thing is that his favorite show (Mighty Machines) is not available in Canada despite being a Canadian show.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 14, 2015, 03:56 BIGtrouble77

InBlack wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 02:14:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 13, 2015, 23:28:
I use my macs for critical development work and I'll gladly pay the premium for that kind of service.

What exactly is 'critical development work' and why does it require Macs? Do the software tools run better on a Mac? Are they unavailable on desktop PCs? Is the Mac inherently more stable?
I'm a web developer that's completely optimized for *nix environments. I spend at least 50% of my day in the terminal. My tools are all based on the Mac ecosystem, which I think is superior to windows, but that's very subjective. What's not so subjective is the fact that the gnu open source tools are just light years beyond what windows offers.

I could use Ubuntu (I did for 4 years), but it hasn't quite met my standards lately, but I do love Linux. I use virtualbox so I can run headless Linux server on my Mac. I've had great luck stability wise... I've had over 200 days uptime on my mbpro, that's pretty insane for a laptop. I almost never reformat my macs, my windows boxes get wiped all the time. There's almost no Mac spyware/viruses. Mac ecosystem is getting very strong. Device hand off actually works well for me, iCloud works pretty well.

I still have a good gaming rig, but it's only for games. I have trouble managing windows apps, I always seem to install way more crap than I want to so I'm suspicious of every download. Security in windows still seems wonky. If I just stick to steam, everything just works on my pc so that's all it does.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 13, 2015, 23:28 BIGtrouble77

I was just in the Apple store this past weekend. I set an appointment with a "genius" to look into my mbpro sleep issues. The dude sat with me for 45 minutes trying to figure out the problem. We ultimately identified it was a bug in virtualbox's kernel extensions that was causing the problem.

Say what you will about apple, but they take care of their customers and don't insult our intelligence. I use my macs for critical development work and I'll gladly pay the premium for that kind of service.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 11, 2015, 22:34 BIGtrouble77

I listened to a pair of Beats Solo 2's in the Apple store yesterday. Hooked it into my iPhone and played some rock/metal tracks. I have to say, you can do much worse for a $150 on a set of portable headphones.

I strongly prefer the Koss PortaPro's which are under $40, but they aren't even close in comfort and look horrific in public. The Beats were extremely comfortable. They really didn't sound that bad either, I can see why people might prefer them for rap and hip hop.

Every pair of Bose headphones I've tried simply sound awful, I have no idea why people buy that crap. I have a pair of modded Grados that I use at home with a dac and amp. As much as I like this setup, it's completely unpractical to use outside of my home. Add to that the Grados aren't all that comfortable, they are too light and all the components (except the drivers) feel like they came out of a dollar store- definitely the opposite extreme to Beats buying people.

Headphones are always going to be a give and take between price/style/build/sound. All of us have different criteria and pockets. I try not to be so judgmental now a days.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
26. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 9, 2015, 21:58 BIGtrouble77

I don't despise Smart like many of you here do, I think he has some interesting things to say. But... man he can be hard to listen to. He tends to contradict himself a lot. For instance he says "It's not about blame, it's about accountability". Umm, is there some nuance in those two words that I'm not aware of because I think they pretty much insinuate the same thing.

Then he goes on rants about suing. Like, "they better not sue me" and "I'll sue them if they do X". I dunno, I think that's ignorant and petty language.

If the guy took a few minutes to organize his thoughts and just eliminate the verbal vomit, he has some interesting perspectives. I wish he would not talk so confidently, like he's a legal expert because he clearly isn't. I guess the bravado is what turns people off on him, it is off the charts.

Regardless, SC is turning into a disaster of epic proportions. I was skeptical several months ago that things were doom and gloom, but I'm very quickly agreeing with the naysayers. This ship is way out of control and this is just the beginning.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2015, 01:51.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 15, 2015, 09:38 BIGtrouble77

They reality with getting any kind of funding is the need to have a good looking, working demo. It just has to show the vision. I think this is why Bard' Tale did so much better than the Ultima Underworld remake.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 10, 2015, 18:31 BIGtrouble77

So excited for this one, Paradox is on a a great 3 year roll.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 20:09 BIGtrouble77

Wasn't expecting this to hit today... I was planning on buying an Imperial Clipper today, 3 months in the making.  

News Comments > DayZ Downturn
11. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 11:46 BIGtrouble77

MajorD wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 10:49:
I have not played ARMA 3 yet, is that engine that much better than ARMA 2s? How is the UI in comparison?

I've always felt that Arma 3 looked gorgeous and generally feels very immersive. It's the cutscenes that I can't stand. Digital actors still look incredibly creepy. I never played Arma 2 so I can't say if it's better, but the UI has been fine in my experience.

News Comments > Football Manager 2015 Free Weekend
1. Re: Football Manager 2015 Free Weekend Jun 4, 2015, 20:55 BIGtrouble77

And this is the time of year I buy FM.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 28, 2015, 22:03 BIGtrouble77

Wow, Distant Worlds at that price is a steal.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
28. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 14:05 BIGtrouble77

I'm guessing it will go for $499 unbundled. You heard it here first.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 22, 2015, 10:14 BIGtrouble77

"Galactic Civilizations 3, more of a refresh than expected, but still hands down the best modern way to conquer unknown space."

Umm, Distant Worlds Universe wipes the floor with this game. GalCivIII is a pretty minor upgrade from GalCivII which was fun for the time, but the sheer scope of DWU makes this game feel like a toy.

News Comments > Cossacks 3 Announced
3. Re: Cossacks 3 Announced May 19, 2015, 10:51 BIGtrouble77

I played the original to death. It looks like they are going with the exact same game mechanics... I kind of wish they would add a bit more depth. The original game worked fine for 2001, but I'm not sure how that well that will translate today. Total War has kind of filled the niche Cossacks started.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2015, 02:02 BIGtrouble77

That dude Russell Archery loves everything he plays. I mean, he gave Basketball Pro Management 2015 a 9.5.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup May 17, 2015, 16:48 BIGtrouble77

There's already a long standing game series on Steam called Victoria:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29109/

I doubt Paradox will care much, but why not check to see if a game of the same name already exists that will ultimately drown out your google search presence?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 14:06 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand why everyone here bitches to no end on how useless steam machines and linux are for gaming, but at the same time condemn MS for shit like this. You realize Valve is preempting moves that MS is taking to stifle the gaming industry to meet their fucked up agenda, which is most definitely console/tablet-first.

At least Valve's agenda is mostly in line with PC gamers. Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 14:26.

337 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo