Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 187 (Novice)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 30, 2014, 09:21 BIGtrouble77

I assume FTL on Android would be very difficult to support because of the varying screen sizes. FTL needs 4:3 aspect ratio, which is the only aspect ratio the iPad supports.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support
17. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Adds Oculus Rift Support Feb 28, 2014, 12:27 BIGtrouble77

Now I'm curious if they just flipped a switch to turn on something the underlying engine already supports. Was this a $1m stretch goal?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 21, 2014, 20:19 BIGtrouble77

I sat next to Jim at RubyConf 2011. The guy was just a bundle of positivity, everybody loved him. To hear he had a heart attack at work, just after he had done some github commits and tweets is so disturbing. To have so much life one moment then nothing the next is hard to accept. RIP.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 27, 2014, 17:52 BIGtrouble77

I'd really like to see Romero produce something new of note. I would have thought the ability to self publish games so easily today would have lit a fire under his butt to produce something interesting. Nostalgia is great and all, but the dude still has time to create something else other than doom that's great.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Into the Black Jan 24, 2014, 22:21 BIGtrouble77

I'm not defending the practice of these companies, but the salaries in the Silicon Valley area is absolutely insane. I have a friend that is a mid level designer and he just got a $110k job out there. He wasn't making $60k in NYC.

Positions comparable to mine out there are going for as high as $250k (web developer, infrastructure architect) which is way higher than what I make in the NYC market.

Not sure how you fix this problem, because these salaries are not sustainable. We are in a bubble now, but it's not going to last. I think you'll end up seeing these companies doing more international recruiting in the next few years (possibly to south america which has some amazing talent).

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 15, 2014, 19:45 BIGtrouble77

I am loving the new 2d tools they released back in November. I'm sure many people have issues with Unity, but I'm in awe of how far it's come and how powerful it is for cross platform game development.  

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
37. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 13:17 BIGtrouble77

I've been using steam on the mac since the beta, and I have to say it's a dream. I know it does not compare to the windows library, but what I do have to choose from is so much better than before steam came along. I'm currently playing Crusader Kings 2, Europe Universalis IV, FTL, Spacebase 9, Civ V and a few other indies.

I'd love to play Skyrim or Star Citizen or Battlefield 4, but I'm content to wait it out. I really want to see linux support take off because that's the best scenario for gamers. We build out game boxes on linux and work in whatever the hell we want. I really don't want MS dictating the future of PC gaming as they are currently terrible caretakers.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 16:33 BIGtrouble77

Blue, I wish you the best. It's been fun reading of Hudson's shenanigans over the years.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $26 Million
6. Re: Star Citizen Passes $26 Million Nov 4, 2013, 19:31 BIGtrouble77

After gaming on a mac for the past 6 years, I might have to buy a PC just to play this game. If they think they can manage the feature creep, by all means keep going for it. I've architected large systems and the reality is, if you have a very strong foundation you can add features quite efficiently.

I would have no faith EA could pull this off, but I think an independent studio could because it can operate without all of the meddling. I really want to see this game be a massive success.

News Comments > Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham Next Month
1. Re: Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham Next Month Oct 22, 2013, 21:50 BIGtrouble77

With all of the seamlessly integrated DLC's this game has on top of a rock solid core, I have to say this is the most authentic feeling game I've ever played. I can't take civilization seriously anymore, it doesn't come close... it feels like a toy in comparison.  

News Comments > Europa Universalis IV Patch & DLC
1. Re: Europa Universalis IV Patch & DLC Sep 24, 2013, 23:23 BIGtrouble77

I still have a few of the Crusader Kings II DLC's to get through before I even consider buying this. CKII ruined Civilization for me, I'm afraid to even touch EUIV now.  

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 20, 2013, 21:11 BIGtrouble77

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2013, 20:08:
And while you wait for your new phone for Apple they will be happy to send you an American flag to burn while you wait.

Wha?

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 17, 2013, 09:44 BIGtrouble77

I completely disagree. This is about Apple not wanting gobs of carrier-ware on their phones making their products reduced to utter garbage. Apple supports their product with a completely different model than any of the other phone oem's and thus don't want the headache of these carriers screwing up what they've worked hard to perfect.

You can not like their products, but the "there telling you how you need to use your phone" is complete bullshit.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
10. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 5, 2013, 22:37 BIGtrouble77

Jensen wrote on May 5, 2013, 19:46:
Glass is headache-inducing too; you're more or less cross-eyed when focusing on something so close to your face.
I would assume you'd be *less* cross-eyed than when looking at any other personal screen, as its simulated distance is very far away. And good luck looking to the upper right and crossing your eyes at the same time.

Cross-eyed comment aside, I could not focus on the screen for the life of me. The text always had a halo and focusing was a real struggle. With that said, others had not problems at all. Maybe this will be like 3d movies, some love the experience, some hate it (I'm in the later group there as well).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 5, 2013, 18:15 BIGtrouble77

I've used GG for about 15 minutes. I was highly unimpressed. The first issue I had is that it was very difficult for me to focus on the display. I think my problem was because the bridge of my nose is bigger than most. I also found looking up to the left to be very fatiguing.

And then interacting with the thing was a pita. The swipes were very awkward and the voice controls just seemed creepy.

I completely agree with the author that tech bloggers are loving this thing because it's very different from the bazillion android phones they review each month. It's definitely not a boring device, just not a very good device in general. I highly doubt this thing catches on in it's current state.

I think when the smart watches come out, this thing will be forgotten pretty quickly. I actually think the watch concept has loads of potential.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
10. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 22:20 BIGtrouble77

Hilarious, "The most expensive free iphone game" was playing Ultima VI midi on the last level.  

News Comments > Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced
3. Re: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced Apr 16, 2013, 00:13 BIGtrouble77

The original game is the reason I got a Sega Genesis. The polish in that game was stunning for the time.

I'm surprised that this isn't showing up on tablets, seems like it would be a good fit.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted
22. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarted Apr 8, 2013, 16:08 BIGtrouble77

It's funny how so many people have a different favorite Ultima. My personal favorite is Ultima VI and Savage Empire at a close second. It's mostly nostalgia, but I was absolutely blown away by how wide open ultima VI was and how deep the storyline was. Ultima VII is also fantastic... Currently playing through Ultima IV and V on my ipad.

I pledged $62 for Shroud of the Avatar, really wish I could have gone for the $125 package, but with a little one on the way my wife would have killed me.

Anyone concerned with them using the Unity Engine? I've made some basic games with Unity, but it always felt like a toy engine. Graphically it's not the greatest, but they should be able to get everything done on time, especially if the community gets involved in building assets.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 26, 2012, 08:06 BIGtrouble77

Believe it or not, it takes quite a bit of skill to code games at the level Zynga can. Blame the execs and game designers for their lack of originality, not the devs.

I was being courted by them a few months ago. They contacted me about a week before the stock fraud stories came out. I had no interest whatsoever in leaving my current kush job to go work for a company with a tainted reputation, legal trouble at the highest levels and notorious for demanding, but not paying, OT. And they tried to sell it all as a dream job making video games. Maybe I would have gone for that at 22, but not now.

News Comments > Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games
61. Re: Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games Feb 28, 2012, 14:29 BIGtrouble77

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 14:09:
B) Destroyed well-loved game studios

I still have not forgiven them for killing off Origin Systems. Then the ultimate insult was turing what was left of Origin into this piece of shit distribution system.

187 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo