Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Joe Smith

Real Name Joe Smith   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BIGtrouble77
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 26, 2004, 18:42
Total Comments 329 (Amateur)
User ID 20018

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 15, 2015, 09:38 BIGtrouble77

They reality with getting any kind of funding is the need to have a good looking, working demo. It just has to show the vision. I think this is why Bard' Tale did so much better than the Ultima Underworld remake.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Jun 10, 2015, 18:31 BIGtrouble77

So excited for this one, Paradox is on a a great 3 year roll.  

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update
8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Free Powerplay Update Jun 5, 2015, 20:09 BIGtrouble77

Wasn't expecting this to hit today... I was planning on buying an Imperial Clipper today, 3 months in the making.  

News Comments > DayZ Downturn
11. Re: DayZ Downturn Jun 5, 2015, 11:46 BIGtrouble77

MajorD wrote on Jun 5, 2015, 10:49:
I have not played ARMA 3 yet, is that engine that much better than ARMA 2s? How is the UI in comparison?

I've always felt that Arma 3 looked gorgeous and generally feels very immersive. It's the cutscenes that I can't stand. Digital actors still look incredibly creepy. I never played Arma 2 so I can't say if it's better, but the UI has been fine in my experience.

News Comments > Football Manager 2015 Free Weekend
1. Re: Football Manager 2015 Free Weekend Jun 4, 2015, 20:55 BIGtrouble77

And this is the time of year I buy FM.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale May 28, 2015, 22:03 BIGtrouble77

Wow, Distant Worlds at that price is a steal.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift Price Discussed
28. Re: Oculus Rift Price Discussed May 28, 2015, 14:05 BIGtrouble77

I'm guessing it will go for $499 unbundled. You heard it here first.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 22, 2015, 10:14 BIGtrouble77

"Galactic Civilizations 3, more of a refresh than expected, but still hands down the best modern way to conquer unknown space."

Umm, Distant Worlds Universe wipes the floor with this game. GalCivIII is a pretty minor upgrade from GalCivII which was fun for the time, but the sheer scope of DWU makes this game feel like a toy.

News Comments > Cossacks 3 Announced
3. Re: Cossacks 3 Announced May 19, 2015, 10:51 BIGtrouble77

I played the original to death. It looks like they are going with the exact same game mechanics... I kind of wish they would add a bit more depth. The original game worked fine for 2001, but I'm not sure how that well that will translate today. Total War has kind of filled the niche Cossacks started.  

1. Re: Game Reviews May 19, 2015, 02:02 BIGtrouble77

That dude Russell Archery loves everything he plays. I mean, he gave Basketball Pro Management 2015 a 9.5.  

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup May 17, 2015, 16:48 BIGtrouble77

There's already a long standing game series on Steam called Victoria:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29109/

I doubt Paradox will care much, but why not check to see if a game of the same name already exists that will ultimately drown out your google search presence?

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 17, 2015, 14:06 BIGtrouble77

I don't understand why everyone here bitches to no end on how useless steam machines and linux are for gaming, but at the same time condemn MS for shit like this. You realize Valve is preempting moves that MS is taking to stifle the gaming industry to meet their fucked up agenda, which is most definitely console/tablet-first.

At least Valve's agenda is mostly in line with PC gamers. Windows 10 really scares me, it's shaping up to be the ultimate data mining platform and it's going to get massive traction because it's free. Get out of your comfort zone and support an open platform and force publishers to take our interests seriously.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 14:26.

11. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 13:55 BIGtrouble77

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:18:
The stock argument is that, late game, you will have so much combat that you'll never finish.

I can kind of see it but at the same time I don't find the combat viewer enjoyable and never finish games anyway, so...

One of my favorite old 4x games is Knights of Honor. It had a very nice combat mode that you could opt out of. I found that I rarely took part in any battles, but it was nice to join the occasional critical battle. It would be really nice if GalCiv provided that.

8. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 12:18 BIGtrouble77

Silicon Avatar, I haven't come across all of those bugs you mentioned, but I'm sure I will with my current game. I only play in sandbox mode, I've never played any of the galciv campaigns.

I'm ok with the combat being pretty simple, but I guess I would expect more from galciv in this regard because the ship building is so robust. Why have such a simple combat model when the ships are so detailed?

Anyway, space 4x games are my favorite so I'm especially hard on stardock when I think they are getting a little lazy. It will probably take a few DLC before this game reaches its potential.

6. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2015, 23:19 BIGtrouble77

I've been playing GalCivIII for a bit and I would give it no more than an 8, probably a 7. It's the exact same formula as GCII, there still are a bunch of bugs and it's simply not as good as Distant Worlds Universe.

My existing game I just set the frequency of habitable planets to be extremely rare (in the gigantic universe). I have already colonized about 10 planets in my vicinity that are greater quality than earth- one of them being a class 19 paradise world- this is not the kind of game I wanted to play.

When I zoom in close, maneuvering is impossible as the move sensitivity never adjusts. This actually triggered a bug where my cursor kept moving and would not stop- had to restart to fix.

They also sell this game as the largest space 4x game ever. That's absolutely laughable when compared to Distant Worlds. That game's size and scope absolutely dwarfs GalCivIII. I could easily fit all of GalCiv III (in it's largest config) in one sector of DWU (DWU goes up to 15x15 sectors). Size doesn't make a great game, but I do feel real-time pausable beats turn based especially in the late game.

With that said, I need to get Kerbal. I've dismissed that game for so long, but i'm finally seeing the light. It looks fantastic.

News Comments > Saturday Screenshots
13. Re: Saturday Screenshots May 16, 2015, 23:06 BIGtrouble77

So why do the Steam screenshots look like they were rendered on PCs powered by unicorn blood? Aren't they required say "not actual game footage" or something?

News Comments > Space Rogue Early Access
5. Re: Space Rogue Early Access May 15, 2015, 19:31 BIGtrouble77

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2015, 14:22:
I just don't think that what the FTL guys did was easy or simple by any stretch.

They definitely perfected their game model with the Advanced Edition. It's kind of sad (on my part), but I've put in nearly 100 hours in on FTL and still consistently get to the end battle and die with only one or 2 hits left. That's pretty amazing balancing.

I want to see someone make a game like FTL that does more to create an open universe experience, more robust ship customization and more interesting trading. Just those things would be a dream come true.

Maybe Space Rogue achieves that, but what I saw in the video looked like it came straight out of FTL, so I'm highly skeptical it will introduce any interesting mechanics.

News Comments > Space Rogue Early Access
2. Re: Space Rogue Early Access May 15, 2015, 14:13 BIGtrouble77

This looks to be borderline ripoff of FTL. I don't understand why they would try to compete with FTL by using the exact same game mechanics.

FTL nailed the game mechanics for the narrow scope it operates in. Why would you just clone that game with a graphical 'upgrade'? Are people really that anti-pixel art? There's so many interesting ways to expand that base game, I would never think to just clone it with a 3d makeover.

7. Re: Game Reviews May 13, 2015, 17:24 BIGtrouble77

Two perfect 10 reviews for a game on the same day, is that a record here at Blues?

As far as Project Cars is concerned, I really like Mac's Worth a Buy review. Makes me want to go out and buy a Wheel. I'll take a realistic sim over an arcade game any day.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming
4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Steam Keys For All Players Coming May 8, 2015, 22:58 BIGtrouble77

Very nice, I've been hoping for this since the steam announcement. It's probably going to give elite a big boast in reviews, I'm assuming most will be positive.  

329 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo