Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 3754 (Veteran)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 27, 2014, 10:48  Blue 

1badmf wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 10:17:
just bought an ultrabook from amazon, forgot to use the ad, sorry blue =(

did you ever figure out how the thing works?

Their reporting system is being flaky atm, but I spoke with someone there and I think I have a proper handle on this. Apparently the referral code is stored in a cookie for 24 hours, though it will be overwritten by another referral code if you end up clicking a link elsewhere that uses one (so it's possible you referred it to us anyway).

It seems we will get a small referral bonus for items bought by customers using our code, and they don't seem to have a problem with me presenting it as I am: as an opportunity to support the site.

Thanks to everyone for the interest in this.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Aug 27, 2014, 08:46  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 08:32:
Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 22:46:
My dog has to go into surgery on Thursday, followed by 8 - 16 weeks of rehab.

Happy dog day, Luna.

Damn, Creston, hope everything turns out ok!

Same here... here's hoping both of you pull through fine.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
5. Re: Amazon Orders Aug 26, 2014, 18:48  Blue 

Will W wrote on Aug 26, 2014, 15:52:
I have to order a serial server for work and Amazon has a good price for it, I'll order it with the referral link if we know that it's working now.

That's very kind of you.

I *believe* this is working, but as of now, I have no definitive answers, as Amazon's reporting system is broken at the moment. I will update here as soon as this clears up.

The good news is that I have confirmed that the referral works through a cookie, so it seems like concerns about whether the referral code is visible in the amazon URL are probably not an issue.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

33. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 17:41  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 16:58:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 16:56:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 16:14:
*Standing up and raising my hand and proclaiming* "Fellow Bluesers, I am NOT ashamed to admit that All the 'My Little Pony' material WILL be ordered from me...uh...for my uh...nephew..

I see your pony merchandise and raise you a turkey baster, several jars of nutella and some stainless steel clamps.

Everyone's invited!

Apparently they sell a 50 gallon drum of lube, that got mentioned all over the web a year or so ago...(not googling that at work, sorry).

Silicone Lubricant, 50 Gal Drum, NSF H-1. Price: $2,787.43 + $278.86 shipping.

Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 15:44  Blue 

SlimRam wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 15:27:
Blue wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:16:

I appreciate your guys' willingness to go through some aggravation for this. From what I can see of Amazon's reporting system, I won't be able to see items ordered until the following day, so I may not know about today's activity until tomorrow.
Wait, sooooo like...well this is ALL hypothetical *cough* so...uh...IF someone was to order a book through the ad that MIGHT be called, "Adult Male Bedwetting - A Self-Help Guide To Stopping The Midnight Menace" uh... Blue do you actually SEE everything that people buy...uh...hypothetically ofcourse *cough*

It seems I do, though there's no indication of who bought what.

And nin, I'm looking at those widgets... just trying to figure out a few different things at once as far as design elements go.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 12:16  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:13:
Will W wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 12:10:
Ok, I emptied out my cart and closed the window. Then I clicked through the link. I did see the referral code on the inital page, but it disappeared once I went past that page. (I am a prime member, don't know if that matters)

Same experience here: Once I did a search, I believe it disappeared. Hopefully it still applies, and is in a cookie or such.

I appreciate your guys' willingness to go through some aggravation for this. From what I can see of Amazon's reporting system, I won't be able to see items ordered until the following day, so I may not know about today's activity until tomorrow.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 25, 2014, 11:21  Blue 

Will W wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 11:07:
How does that amazon click-through ad work? I have some stuff in my cart that I want to buy, can I click on that link and checkout for Bluesnews to get the credit, or do I have to add it after clicking through there, or do you only get credit if I buy the item advertised?

Here's what I think happens. If you click through that ad, and add something to your cart and checkout during that session, a small percentage comes back to us. This works if our referral id is part of the URL, but I'm not sure it does if it isn't, so as someone pointed out, simply clicking on the Amazon logo to go back to their front page may be enough to void this. I believe the essential part of the referral code is: "&tag=blsne09-20".

I am still working on figuring this out, and will try to follow the suggestion of making a more prominent link to help with the process. Meanwhile, if it can help us understand how this works, I made a general forum post listing the referrals Amazon is reporting to help understand what does and does not count as coming from here.

Thanks again!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

General Discussion > Amazon Orders
1. Amazon Orders Aug 25, 2014, 11:19  Blue 

Thanks for your willingness to support the site with your Amazon purchases. Here is a list of items that Amazon says were bought through here, to help figure out what is and isn't being credited as an referral. This list is current as of 11:15 am August 25:

The Strain Volume 2
The Strain Volume 3 The Fall
The Strain Volume 4: The Fall

Samsung Galaxy S5 Essential Home and Car Charger Kit - Includes (2) 3 Ft Cable USB 3.0 Charging/Data Sync Cables, (1) Dual Port Car Charger, and (1) H

Samsung Electronics 64GB EVO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 48MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MP64DA/AM)

Breaking Bad: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Breaking Bad: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
Breaking Bad: Season 3 [Blu-ray]

Sperry Instruments GFI6302 GFCI Outlet Tester

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > MMOGs Under Attack
19. Re: MMOGs Under Attack Aug 25, 2014, 10:58  Blue 

Ant wrote on Aug 25, 2014, 10:46:
Did BN ever get DDoSed?

Well, yes and no. We were not the targets (AFAIK), but we were victims of one of the original DOS attacks on the Internet when the site was still on Panix.com, as Panix suffered a massive attack in late 1996 that prompted us to move to our own domain. Panix was apparently targeted due to their activism on behalf of the EFF.

Found an article on it. According to Cisco, this was *the* original denial of service:

The first DoS attack occurred against Panix, the New York City area's oldest and largest Internet Service Provider (ISP), on September 6, 1996, at about 5:30 p.m. [14]. The attack was against different computers on the provider's network, including mail, news, and Web servers, user "login" machines, and name servers. The Panix attack was a SYN Flood attack deriving from random IP addresses and directed toward server Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) ports. More specifically, Panix's computers were flooded by, on average, 150 SYN packets per second (50 per host), so Panix could not respond to legitimate requests [15]. Because the attackers used spoofed source IP addresses intraffic their packets, the addresses could not be traced and malicious could not be filtered. For that reason the attack was not immediately confronted. The solution was to use a special structure, instead of full Transmission Control Block (TCB), to hold half-open connections until the last ACK packet was received. In that way, the listen queue was large enough to keep all the SYN requests before the half-open connection timed out. The timeout, on the other hand, was adjusted to 94 seconds [16]. However, although Panix overcame this attack, the new threat (DoS attacks) made administrators worry.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2014, 08:57  Blue 

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 16:44:
Blue wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 12:20:
Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 12:15:
Hey Blue, just saw the little notice at the Amazon banner which said that if you buy something from Amazon after clicking the banner, you get a cut. Do you know if that's just for the advertised product (which was a freaking FIVE HUNDRED dollar PS3...) or for anything?

If for anything, I'll happily click on your Amazon links first before I do any shopping there.

AFAICT I think it's supposed to be for anything during that visit. If anyone knows if this works differently, please set me straight.

Alright, I just bought 40 bucks worth of DVDs through the link, so I'm curious to find out if you see any of that, and how long it takes. (or if you'd rather not divulge any such information, just whether it works or not. )

According to Amazon, there is a pending purchase credited to here... someone bouoght three seasons of Breaking Bad... is it you I have to thank for that?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 22, 2014, 12:20  Blue 

Creston wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 12:15:
Hey Blue, just saw the little notice at the Amazon banner which said that if you buy something from Amazon after clicking the banner, you get a cut. Do you know if that's just for the advertised product (which was a freaking FIVE HUNDRED dollar PS3...) or for anything?

If for anything, I'll happily click on your Amazon links first before I do any shopping there.

AFAICT I think it's supposed to be for anything during that visit. If anyone knows if this works differently, please set me straight.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs
2. Re: Hack Your Fiends in Watch Dogs Aug 22, 2014, 09:13  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 09:10:
to the first-person phoner

er...?

Don't let your facts interfere with my hilarity!

But thanks.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 21, 2014, 18:04  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 16:59:
Once we decide, I think I will make a second group for us and we can do a "spread" type pick every week as well. See who the TRUE masters are. heheheheh

I've only checked out the ESPN site so far, but it seems fine. I like the idea of a spread league as well.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2014, 12:29  Blue 

Prez wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 12:03:
Everything but some of the vocals in these half-time shows is pre-recorded. What does it matter who performs? The shows always suck anyway. Not to mention the obscenely long half-time show hurts the game because the players sit idle too long to stay warmed up. I say get rid of it.

They could get rid of the performances and halftime would still be longer than regular games. The allure of squeezing in extra commercials at astronomical Super Bowl rates ensures it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 20, 2014, 10:08  Blue 

InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:03:
Lol...

Just a matter of curiousity, how do they get past your fence? Or am I right in guessing that the flowerbeds are right next to the fence?

This flowerbed is in the front yard, outside the fence. Wouldn't matter though... our fence is four feet tall, and as Batman noted, even small deer are capable of vaulting it from a standing start.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's Released
2. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Released Aug 20, 2014, 10:05  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 09:54:
Is there a known phobia of dolls and shit like this coming to life? Cause I totally have it, and can't play shit like this...

Always found puppets used in ventriloquism extremely creepy, I think it's the eyes (and they blink, dear god, they blink!).

<shudder!>

It's called automatonophobia. To my experience it seems pretty common. I always had the opposite... I always loved ventriloquists and puppets. It seems related to fear of clowns, which I don't suffer either, but I know a lot of people with that one too.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 08:42  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 17:04:
People really need to stop using commercial cleaning products. They're bad for you, your pets and the environment. The only things you need to make everything you need at home are white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, borax, soap, isopropyl alcohol. I make all my own cleansers.

Want to see what's in that Oreck sheisse?

Oreck Spot Remover Material Safety Data Sheet

If you don't want to read all 6 pages, in short it's a carcinogen that's bad for everything.

Now here's one simple, effective DIY stain remover.

DIY Stain Remover

It has 3 things. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. I wouldn't use Dawn - or any other major commercial brand - but even if you do it's impact is still minimal by comparison.

I'm happy for you making your own soap and stuff, but that doesn't entitle you to make up your own facts, especially under the "People need to stop..." heading. I did read all six pages, but I'm not sure you did, because there's not one word about the ingredients or their combination being carcinogenic.

In fact, it says the opposite:

Carcinogenicity: Not hazardous by OSHA criteria.

California Proposition 65:
This product does not contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth
defects or other reproductive harm.

You are correct that it does need to be and used properly to safeguard the environment... not unlike the handful of chemicals you mentioned brewing together.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Aug 16, 2014, 08:03  Blue 

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 15:09:
So, perhaps we should call it all

Afternoon Legal Briefs
Afternoon Metaverse
Into the Orange

I guess Blue's got plans tonight.

I mentioned it a couple of times earlier in the summer: I've been trying to finish early on Fridays as "summer hours." Only two more weeks until Labor Day, so by the time you get used to it, things will change back.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 07:57  Blue 

Fletch wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 05:33:
Bitdefender detects a trojan at the "Only 3 Men In History Have Walked on water..." link. Anybody else?

Hmm, not here... when I just went there I got a Bitdefender ad, but no alert. Is anyone else seeing a problem?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 07:56  Blue 

SlimRam wrote on Aug 15, 2014, 18:38:
  • Discovery channel Shark Week debunked.
  • I'm still waiting for Shart Week personally. I think that would be fascinating television.

Comedy Central is there for you.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3754 Comments. 188 pages. Viewing page 5.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo