Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 3724 (Veteran)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 10:41  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 10:29:
Not having used Chrom myself - is there a reason to put up with such a problem and continue using it? What are the bennies of using the browser? Looking for input, as Firefox, even though they have fixed the biggest problem of being a resource whore, I need something different/better.

Most simply, the HTML editor I use can create drag and drop hyperlinks from webpages, and while MSIE and Chrome both create a link using the "title" tag from the page, links created in FireFox just use the URL.

So if I want to create a link to Blue's News in my editor using MSIE or Chrome it will come out like this:

Blue's News - All the carnage that's fit to post!

In Firefox it comes out like this:

www.bluesnews.com

And since I do that a million times a day, it's sort of a deal-breaker. Don't know what FF's problem is with this, but it's been present in every form of the browser.

How is this important? It's exemplified by this tweet about a recent story:

Out of 100+ sites, @bluesnewsdotcom was the only one to get the spacing and intercaps of "PC PowerPlay" correct. Cheers!

Also, the several second delay in launching FF to test that this is indeed still the case is another factor. Chrome launched with huge speed advantages over rival browsers, and while they've caught up since being challenged on their wretched performance, Chrome's zippiness had already won me over in spite of that bug.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 10:47.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 08:10  Blue 

zirik wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 22:18:
blue gonna start jogging across the entire country for no reason at all?

Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More Sony Hacking
9. Re: More Sony Hacking Oct 12, 2011, 13:21  Blue 

Atomic wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 12:52:
Using a name and password that is not yours to gain access to an account that is not yours is hacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)

Part 2 Research and Information Gathering It is in this stage that the hacker will visit or contact the target in some way in hopes of finding out vital information that will help them access the system. The main way that hackers get desired results from this stage is from Social Engineering, which will be explained below. Aside from Social Engineering hackers can also use a technique called Dumpster Diving. Dumpster Diving is when a hacker will literally dive into a dumpster in hopes to find documents that users have thrown away, which will help them gain access to a network.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More Sony Hacking
5. Re: More Sony Hacking Oct 12, 2011, 12:04  Blue 

Jivaro wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 11:26:
Yeah, umm..Blue...your headline is a bit misleading don't you think? I mean, Sony didn't get hacked this time.

A headline rarely captures every nuance of the story.

That said, the statement "Sony said it suspected that hackers had obtained login data from other Web sites or sources and used those to try to gain access to Sony accounts" seems to clearly indicate that this was "hackers" attempting "to try to gain access to Sony accounts." How is the headline misleading?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 11:18  Blue 

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 21:54:
I have some sheets myself. I also have a bicentennial $2 bill.

Woz is purposely being misleading in the video, if you read the link I posted from his site you can tell that "being misleading" is apparently a hobby of his

Yeah, now that I read that it's obvious he's just messing with people. It's not hard to imagine a stoner millionaire from the early days of silicon valley would be such a prankster. It's almost harder to imagine that more of them don't spend their time like this.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 11:11  Blue 

nin wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 10:41:
After that it's downhill all the way, and by midwinter I expect to be ready for my ZZ Top audition.

And what does MrsBlue think of this?

Not much. She's fine with a neat summer beard, but was a little wary of last year's winter beard, which I only started in December. I expect the six month beard to be pretty extreme, so we'll see if I have to fight to keep it after a certain point.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 20:49  Blue 

Ant wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 19:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 18:34:
PhysicalEd wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:33:
(didn't you used to post under quakenews? I'd swear you switched from quakenews to bluesnews long long ago, but I cannot find any record of that.

It was "blue's Quake Rag" prior to the domain switch. The site operated for a bit over a year prior to that, starting in the summer of 1995.
What was the URL to it back then?

http://www.panix.com/~sheaslip/3d/quake.shtml

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 18:34  Blue 

PhysicalEd wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:33:
(didn't you used to post under quakenews? I'd swear you switched from quakenews to bluesnews long long ago, but I cannot find any record of that.

It was "blue's Quake Rag" prior to the domain switch. The site operated for a bit over a year prior to that, starting in the summer of 1995.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
21. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 17:54  Blue 

Theo wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:51:
dont agree on a bunch of points...

Particularly since I don't do this kind of thing regularly, I'd be very interested in hearing your areas of disagreement if you care to elaborate.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
19. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 17:21  Blue 

Bhruic wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:50:
One of the most memorable experiences of my gaming life was a late night when my party got killed in the depths of a Diablo II dungeon: We literally spent hours working out how to retrieve our items from where they dropped.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Diablo I? In II, when you died, your items would stay on your body, sure, but if you didn't think you could get to where your body was, you could just leave, make a new game, and your body would be in town. The only thing you'd lose was any gold/potions that might have dropped, and some XP.

Hmm, if that's the case, then I am thinking of Diablo 1.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > RAGE Tweaks
11. Re: RAGE Tweaks Oct 4, 2011, 15:18  Blue 

Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:58:
Ugh... I don't prefer to have auto-updaters enabled in my system. I hope I can grab this manually - alternatively I guess I can enable/disable Nvidia Update but would prefer not to.

Yeah, that one is particularly obnoxious. I found a new user account on my machine and when I Googled it, I found it was created by that auto-updater, which seems amateur at best. Needless to say I uninstalled it immediately.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale
5. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale Oct 4, 2011, 14:09  Blue 

necrosis wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:04:
I did the unheard of... I Googled it!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+portal+2+dlc+free+on+360

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2011, 14:15  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 13:17:
So long as Job is still doing his thing to the Final Countdown, I'm good.

Great, now I have that song running through my head.

And it's "Gob."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Activision Independent Games Competition
5. Re: Activision Independent Games Competition Oct 3, 2011, 14:13  Blue 

LgFriess wrote on Oct 3, 2011, 14:05:
What was last years winner?

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=594349

The winners are being rewarded for their hard work and creativity with cash prizes to be used further develop their winning ideas. Dstroyd by Peter Angstadt won the first place cash prize of $175,000, while Rigonauts: Broadside by Engient took the second place cash prize of $75,000.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
83. Re: What's it take to get banned? Oct 2, 2011, 12:45  Blue 

WeAreLinked wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 03:04:
As for Cutter, he is this guy named "fredrickson" that has been here for 10 years. When Blues mom died, fredrickson said "What are you doing at the funeral instead of taking care of the website?".

Blue didn't do anything.

For a long time this forum didn't have a ban function. It was something that followed folks like Fred. He's been banned a few times since then.

But that Woody motherfucker? He gets the ban the minute he shows his face.

Yeah, actually I take racist and antisemitic posts from some sort of white supremacist more seriously than most trolling.

I'm not trying to be the thought police here, and people should be allowed to express opinions, even if they are disagreeable. I tried to delete out the personal attacks from this thread, and will remind everyone once again that personal attacks on each other are not allowed.

I suppose I need to expand this to disallow personal attacks on others too... If you want to express the idea that a developer is a sellout, it can can be done without calling them a whore (and this after I just made a joke with that term the other day, I guess I need to watch myself on that too). It may take the fun out of posting about Bobby Kotick for some of you to have to avoid making childish puns out of his name, but I'm seeing more and more discontent here about they crap that goes on due to lax moderation, so I'm going to tighten things up a bit out of respect for those of you who don't need to be policed to act like adults, and that will be the first step.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

26. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 16:22  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 15:26:
Blue wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 15:03:
Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 13:16:
Blue, any idea whenever I load the site that on the front page I'm loading UGO's main page in the ad box at the top of the page? An ad I can understand but if I wanted to load their entire stupid page - which I don't - I'd be going to their site instead.

This site long ago broke ties with UGO... where are you seeing ads for them now?

It's just on the front page, main ad box below the Blue's logo, every time - and I do mean every single time - I come to the site. And its been that way for a while now. I don't see it on any of the pages when I go into the comments sections. And I don't know why seeing as I have UGO cookies blocked. So somehow they're doing an end-run around you here. And again, it is their entire front page loading in the little box, and when I check the properties witha context click it does show up as www.ugo.com. If you could find a solution I'd be grateful. That sort of weasely shit really gets on my tits.

It sounds like there's something wrong on your end. Maybe you could send me a screenshot? If I were you I'd try clearing my cache, as well, though for you to be getting stuff from UGO though a caching error it would have to be from around two years ago. I'm definitely puzzled.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 30, 2011, 15:03  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Sep 30, 2011, 13:16:
Blue, any idea whenever I load the site that on the front page I'm loading UGO's main page in the ad box at the top of the page? An ad I can understand but if I wanted to load their entire stupid page - which I don't - I'd be going to their site instead.

This site long ago broke ties with UGO... where are you seeing ads for them now?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

74. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 09:03  Blue 

Kosumo wrote on Sep 29, 2011, 03:41:
Also you could get a cat and post about that.

Being a cat person and not a dog person means that, although I like the Gunner man and Hundson the wonder dog, I would like more stroies of cats (in the Bluestower!)

After all the internet is made of cats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8VTeDHjcM

Haha, I love cats, and MrsBlue does too for that matter, but she is deathly allergic, and I mean that literally, she was hospitalized before we met after stopping breathing during an asthma attack as she tried to brave through these allergies to own a pair of cats. I'm sure the dogs would love it if we had cats too, but it's not in the cards.

I want to thank everybody for all the feedback in this thread, I will consider your suggestions. It's also helpful to know that the bulleted lists about which I wrote are actually appreciated by a lot of readers, as one of my concerns is that there are so many links in them that they were getting ignored.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Syndicate Reboot in February 2012
6. Re: Syndicate Reboot in February 2012 Sep 28, 2011, 11:17  Blue 

WyldKat wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 11:12:
From announcement to release in under 6 months, clearly the mark of a quality title.

I have no idea what level of quality this game will represent, but it does bear noting that some games are announced before production even begins, while some others are only announced as they near completion.

In this case, the first reports about "Project Redlime," a Starbreeze-developed EA remake, appeared in February 2008:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/85358/project-redlime-revealed

And the first indications that this was Syndicate-related came in October of that year:

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/92353/syndicate-to-return

So it seems the game has been in development for well over three years.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2011, 11:04  Blue 

ZeroCougar wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 10:59:
As long as it doesn't turn into Kotaku's style of news, or the wtf is this disaster? Shacknews. Websites I'll be fine. (those are my opinions of them)

I'm very curious as to what elements of their approaches you find problematic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3724 Comments. 187 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo