Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 3714 (Veteran)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 17, 2011, 09:31  Blue 

Beamer wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 09:21:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 14:53:
Seats? You were sitting?

I hate people that stand at a concert with seats.

As I mentioned before, we were literally in the front row. So it was not going to improve our view at all to stand, and if we did, we'd have had to constantly be checking behind us to make sure we weren't blocking the people behind us.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2011, 10:45  Blue 

Killer Kane wrote on Oct 16, 2011, 10:08:
My buddy Jimmy plays guitar in Hunter's band. I saw Mott back in the day (they were the first rock band to play on Broadway)and his solo tours with Mick Ronson, great shows

Is that "Jimmy the Greek?" He was completely awesome!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

50. Re: Chrome Oct 14, 2011, 09:24  Blue 

Jim wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 19:33:
This is the only site that I visit regularly that forces them, and as a web developer (13 years) I don't recall one incident where this became an issue.

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought you were asking for code to remove underlines, but it sounds like we are adding code that forces them?

Can you clarify that for me? And as Sarris says in Galaxy Quest, "Explain as you would a child."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 17:57  Blue 

Fang wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 16:26:
Now I'm really curious which HTML editor you are using.

It's actually the much-reviled FrontPage 2003.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 15:20  Blue 

Enahs wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:21:
Chrome not creating proper links in my HTML editor works fine for you?
You said FF was not creating proper links, not Chrome. And I said FF does, for me. You said your technical issue with FF was it not creating proper links; but that tech related issues works fine for me. So yes, my original comment still stands.

Yeah, I meant Firefox.

The Pyro wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:54:
3) His HTML editor doesn't support the data format(s) which Firefox uses to include the web page title in a dropped hyperlink.

That's most assuredly it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

25. Re: Chrome Oct 13, 2011, 14:08  Blue 

Jim wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:01:
Blue, I had mentioned this a couple times in the past, but could you kindly remove link underlines in your CSS? This would make this site much easier to read in Chrome and go a long way in getting me to finally ditch Firefox.

Thanks

I'm sorry, but there are no plans to do this. For most users underlined links are considered standard, so removing them is a problem for more people than leaving them. If there were something I could add or remove from the CSS to make underlines optional, I would gladly do that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 13:19  Blue 

Enahs wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 13:05:
So, either your HTML editor is using some archaic standard that FF ditched but the others still support; or something else is going on!

Right, it can't be that this is a bug in Firefox since version 1, because Firefox is infallible, and the fact that Chrome came out years later and works fine is because they are supporting some "archaic standard that FF ditched." I am growing more comfortable than ever before that you are trolling me.

I am not telling you to stop using Chrome; I could care less what you use. I am just saying; your main tech related issues works just fine for me.

Chrome not creating proper links in my HTML editor works fine for you? Trollbashing

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 12:20  Blue 

Enahs wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 11:33:
Blue, When I drag and drop links with FireFox, it uses the Title property and not the link URL.....You must not be dragging and dropping properly!

Man, do you love disagreeing with me!

Or it is finally implemented in the latest version. Or you have something configured oddly.

Or we are talking about two different things. This works correctly when creating desktop shortcuts, but not in my HTML editor.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Celebrating Ten Years of GTA3 - Mobile Versions Coming
8. Re: Celebrating Ten Years of GTA3 - Mobile Versions Coming Oct 13, 2011, 11:06  Blue 

InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 10:56:
Are you being sarcastic Blue? Because both GTA 1 and 2 were open world sandbox games, they just happened to be in 2d, and were top down...at least thats how my frayed brain remembers them. Lets see here...home garage, check. Two or three factions that you can do missions for, check. Police reputation, check. Big living city with pedestrians and cars you can steal, destroy demolish, check. Hookers, check....Not to mention the fact that there wouldnt be a GTA3 without 1 and 2...

Fair enough, I guess my response really should have centered on the 3D part. I still stand by my main thought on this: If not for the last two games, the first two would be largely forgotten.

The point about there not being a GTA3 without 1 and 2 may be true, though I think the modern sandbox game would have been invented along the way anyway. In either event, GTA3 is the game that put this series on the map, and the GTA1/2 thing seems as relevant as saying there wouldn't have been GTA1 were it not for Spy Hunter.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Celebrating Ten Years of GTA3 - Mobile Versions Coming
5. Re: Celebrating Ten Years of GTA3 - Mobile Versions Coming Oct 13, 2011, 10:52  Blue 

InBlack wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 10:45:
What about the original release? This is like celebrating Terminator 3, what gives?

GTA3 was a revolutionary, open-world sandbox game.

The first two GTAs were top-down driving games that would be largely forgotten today were it not for GTA3 and GTA4.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 10:41  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 10:29:
Not having used Chrom myself - is there a reason to put up with such a problem and continue using it? What are the bennies of using the browser? Looking for input, as Firefox, even though they have fixed the biggest problem of being a resource whore, I need something different/better.

Most simply, the HTML editor I use can create drag and drop hyperlinks from webpages, and while MSIE and Chrome both create a link using the "title" tag from the page, links created in FireFox just use the URL.

So if I want to create a link to Blue's News in my editor using MSIE or Chrome it will come out like this:

Blue's News - All the carnage that's fit to post!

In Firefox it comes out like this:

www.bluesnews.com

And since I do that a million times a day, it's sort of a deal-breaker. Don't know what FF's problem is with this, but it's been present in every form of the browser.

How is this important? It's exemplified by this tweet about a recent story:

Out of 100+ sites, @bluesnewsdotcom was the only one to get the spacing and intercaps of "PC PowerPlay" correct. Cheers!

Also, the several second delay in launching FF to test that this is indeed still the case is another factor. Chrome launched with huge speed advantages over rival browsers, and while they've caught up since being challenged on their wretched performance, Chrome's zippiness had already won me over in spite of that bug.

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 10:47.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 08:10  Blue 

zirik wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 22:18:
blue gonna start jogging across the entire country for no reason at all?

Now you wouldn't believe me if I told you, but I could run like the wind blows. From that day on, if I was going somewhere, I was running!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More Sony Hacking
9. Re: More Sony Hacking Oct 12, 2011, 13:21  Blue 

Atomic wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 12:52:
Using a name and password that is not yours to gain access to an account that is not yours is hacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(computer_security)

Part 2 Research and Information Gathering It is in this stage that the hacker will visit or contact the target in some way in hopes of finding out vital information that will help them access the system. The main way that hackers get desired results from this stage is from Social Engineering, which will be explained below. Aside from Social Engineering hackers can also use a technique called Dumpster Diving. Dumpster Diving is when a hacker will literally dive into a dumpster in hopes to find documents that users have thrown away, which will help them gain access to a network.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > More Sony Hacking
5. Re: More Sony Hacking Oct 12, 2011, 12:04  Blue 

Jivaro wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 11:26:
Yeah, umm..Blue...your headline is a bit misleading don't you think? I mean, Sony didn't get hacked this time.

A headline rarely captures every nuance of the story.

That said, the statement "Sony said it suspected that hackers had obtained login data from other Web sites or sources and used those to try to gain access to Sony accounts" seems to clearly indicate that this was "hackers" attempting "to try to gain access to Sony accounts." How is the headline misleading?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 11:18  Blue 

Sepharo wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 21:54:
I have some sheets myself. I also have a bicentennial $2 bill.

Woz is purposely being misleading in the video, if you read the link I posted from his site you can tell that "being misleading" is apparently a hobby of his

Yeah, now that I read that it's obvious he's just messing with people. It's not hard to imagine a stoner millionaire from the early days of silicon valley would be such a prankster. It's almost harder to imagine that more of them don't spend their time like this.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 11:11  Blue 

nin wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 10:41:
After that it's downhill all the way, and by midwinter I expect to be ready for my ZZ Top audition.

And what does MrsBlue think of this?

Not much. She's fine with a neat summer beard, but was a little wary of last year's winter beard, which I only started in December. I expect the six month beard to be pretty extreme, so we'll see if I have to fight to keep it after a certain point.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

41. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 20:49  Blue 

Ant wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 19:27:
Blue wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 18:34:
PhysicalEd wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:33:
(didn't you used to post under quakenews? I'd swear you switched from quakenews to bluesnews long long ago, but I cannot find any record of that.

It was "blue's Quake Rag" prior to the domain switch. The site operated for a bit over a year prior to that, starting in the summer of 1995.
What was the URL to it back then?

http://www.panix.com/~sheaslip/3d/quake.shtml

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

38. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 18:34  Blue 

PhysicalEd wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 13:33:
(didn't you used to post under quakenews? I'd swear you switched from quakenews to bluesnews long long ago, but I cannot find any record of that.

It was "blue's Quake Rag" prior to the domain switch. The site operated for a bit over a year prior to that, starting in the summer of 1995.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
21. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 17:54  Blue 

Theo wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 17:51:
dont agree on a bunch of points...

Particularly since I don't do this kind of thing regularly, I'd be very interested in hearing your areas of disagreement if you care to elaborate.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview
19. Re: Blue's Diablo III Beta Preview Oct 4, 2011, 17:21  Blue 

Bhruic wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:50:
One of the most memorable experiences of my gaming life was a late night when my party got killed in the depths of a Diablo II dungeon: We literally spent hours working out how to retrieve our items from where they dropped.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Diablo I? In II, when you died, your items would stay on your body, sure, but if you didn't think you could get to where your body was, you could just leave, make a new game, and your body would be in town. The only thing you'd lose was any gold/potions that might have dropped, and some XP.

Hmm, if that's the case, then I am thinking of Diablo 1.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3714 Comments. 186 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo