Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 3724 (Veteran)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Dec 4, 2013, 09:34  Blue 

panbient wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 08:01:
Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 23:28:
Chance to check out Fallout 4 if you're in Dallas. Lucky bastiges!

Where they're calling it 'upcoming and released' games, it sounds more like a job playtesting ports. Especially where this is a voluntary position that features an NDA.

Well, being in Dallas, I'd actually expect this to be testing at id Software.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 10:36  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 10:03:
Well, I was going to ask, but glad you mentioned Huddy was home, I was concearned how Gunnar would take it - but pets understand death to - so I am glad everyone was home so Gunnar could also understand the absence and grieve.

She probably went an hour or so before we woke up, so Gunnar got to experience it first. By the time we discovered her, he was no longer even paying attention to her corpse, he just concerned himself with comforting us, he knew already that even though her body was there, she was gone.

It's amazing how clearly he understands what happened, and I can see the wisdom of the advice to let them have this closure. He was previously more attached to Huddy than to either of us, to the extent that he was starting to get mopey because she was doing poorly. He's already back to his happy-go-luck self, whereas in the past, if Hudson left the house without him, he couldn't be distracted by anything but waiting for her until she returned, so if she had just gone off to the doctor's one day and never returned, we would have had a difficult situation with him.

We are here for you brother.

Thanks, it's a great comfort.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
9. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 22, 2013, 11:50  Blue 

Atomic wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 11:48:
Can someone explain to me why a new game would be considered Fallout 4? Why is NV not counted as number 4?

Because NV is not the Roman numeral for four?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending
10. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:34  Blue 

El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:22:
Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 23:38:
Ver ist Berlin?!

Where is Berlin? = Wo ist Berlin?

Who is Berlin? = Wer ist Berlin?

Learning German - Lesson 1

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:35  Blue 

DrSquick wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:31:
Blue, that got me thinking - do you prepare Saturday's and Sunday's posts ahead of time? Or have you worked seven days a week for the last 15 years?

The latter.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2013, 12:07  Blue 

nin wrote on Oct 30, 2013, 11:02:
He used to post some around halloweens, when they dressed up, but I've not seen pictures in a few years.

Do a search around previous halloweens...

There's a "Misc" section in the Screenshots archive

Hudson the puppy (2001)
Hudson Halloween 2004
Gunnar the puppy (2004) Includes Hudson's infamous pink cast
Hudson's Teeth
Hudson and Gunnar Halloween 2007
Hudson and Gunnar Halloween 2008
Hudson and Gunnar Halloween 2010

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

47. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2013, 09:48  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 24, 2013, 16:50:
So then what is the point of the bags and "recycling" if they just get thrown in the garbage. I won't even go into the comments about drinking that squirrel piss coffee. I thought you burred your own.

We do grind our own, the Starbucks bags are for French Roast whole beans. To my tastes they result in an excellent cup of coffee.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

44. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2013, 15:38  Blue 

Ant wrote on Oct 23, 2013, 09:56:
Efflixi wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 14:58:
I remember when you got Hudson Blue. I loved seeing you dress her up for halloween! I am certainly sending good juju your way!
Do you remember when it was mentioned on BN? I'd love to reread that again!

First mention of her coming to live with us:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/19640/out-of-the-blue

First mention of her by name:
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/19737/out-of-the-blue

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 13:05  Blue 

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 12:49:
Dogs don't like pills (full or part of), it's tricky to make them eat them. I used a pill cutter and stuffed it in a soft treat. Smiley

You cannot underestimate Hudson. She is not highly food-motivated to begin with. Also, she is like the princess and the pea with pills. She can pick through anything but peanut butter and spit the pills out, and after she decided I was trying to poison her with antibiotics, she stopped eating for basically three weeks. She still carefully picks through everything I give her, and refuses to eat peanut butter, and I don't know if I will get her past that.

Believe it or not, she puts up with the pills as I do them better than trying to trick her. She's just too smart and wary to be tricked anymore.

Finding a 24hr pet hospital, just in case of emergency always helps. Wink

I have the number of two places if she has an off-hours emergency. The place to take her to save her, and the closer place to take her to just put her out of her misery. I've discussed with the vet the possibility this will come to that, and while she cannot rule it out, she says most cases like this will involve a slope of decline, rather than a cliff. We will keep assessing her condition in light of that going forward.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 22, 2013, 12:26  Blue 

Ladron3dfx wrote on Oct 22, 2013, 10:36:
"she is beginning to suffer from congestive heart failure."

Blue, last year my dog had the same. She needs medicine right away or fluid will build up in lungs again (very bad). My veterinarian prescribed 3 medications.

Enalapril Maleate
Furosemide
Vetmedin

Dosage will depend on dogs weight.

Ask the veterinarian about the medicines I mentioned.

I would have a pretty poor vet who would have let me leave without prescriptions. CHF in dogs is treated with a cocktail of drugs, and Hudson is on Enalapril, Vetmedin, another heart medication, and two diuretics.

That I still have fingers after stuffing all those pills down her throat is a testimony to her devotion.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 19:13  Blue 

Hudson is home and doing much better at the moment. I'll provide more details on her future, but right now let me address the one that's come up about her present.

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:03:
Hence my reluctance to say anything... and I'm not really judging Blue in my comment, as I said only he has all the information. It's just that in my lifetime I've seen too many people put their pets through living hell and hold out until the bitter end simply because they can't let go.

If I've made some social faux pas I apologize, and Blue can delete my post. I will take no umbrage if you do so.

Not at all, I understand your concern. I have not posted all the details of how all this has gone down, so let give a chronology that can help you decide if you would handle this differently.

• Hudson went in for a routine checkup 5 weeks ago, and was prescribed an antibiotic for a hot spot from her allergies. She was otherwise fine, and the heart murmur she's had for years was unchanged.

• She had a severe reaction to the antibiotic, and began throwing up and having diarrhea.

• The vet advised us to take her off the antibiotic, and the vomiting ceased, but by then she stopped eating.

• After almost two weeks of barely eating her weight loss became alarming, and I got her back into the vet's last week thinking she was through, and I was going to send her off.

• The doctor determined her heart was working out of kilter, and while the prognosis for treating a dog with such problems after a history of heart issues is that she probably doesn't have a year left, a good quality of life could be restored by medication. She's 13+ years old, so we weren't sure she'd have another year anyway.

• She saw the vet on Friday and was doing better, I had gotten her to start eating again and the doctor adjusted her medication.

• Sunday evening she had several incidents where she had episodes of distress, which where hard to pin down to breathing or digestion or what.

• She was scheduled for tests today with the cardiologist, and had an episode as he saw her, and he aspirated fluid from her lungs and put her on some diuretics, as it was due to fluid in her chest cavity, which is common in these cases.

• She's home now resting comfortably, eating solid food, and peeing like a racehorse.

• I don't know where along the way there I should have acted differently, with the exception of possibly taking her to a pet emergency room Sunday night.

I'll add there is only one time in her adult life that Hudson has resisted getting in the car, and that was for the trip where I thought we would decide to put her down. Earlier that day I thought she was saying she wanted it to end, but everything else she has shown me since has been that she's not ready to go at all. We know she's a stubborn Terrier, so we won't wait until she surrenders, but she seems very happy to fight this for now, and is certainly pleased be home and comfortable at the moment.

We'll gladly take whatever time she has left to give, but are determined not to make her soldier on when she's done. She's deserves better than that.

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2013, 19:28.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 12:31  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 12:22:
    Keep yer chin up, Huddy! And I hope this isn't all too stressful on the Gunnar-man either.

The past several days he's become quite concerned about her, as she'll have episodes of extremely labored breathing and great distress. He keeps her constant company, and can't even eat for more than 10 seconds straight without running in to check on her. He's also concerned when she leaves, but now that she's been gone at the vet for a while he settled down. I think he trusts she's coming back. I wish I was as confident, and hope that he's right.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2013, 08:55  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 18:05:
    Sydney Tunnels Have Giant Water Holograms.

fuggin genius!

It is. However, the claim that they cannot do more to prevent oversized vehicles from destroying the tunnels seems amazingly stupid.

Around here there are pre-barriers before tunnels that are the same height as the tunnel. Can't pass under the sign and you get stuck there and not in the tunnel. Seems an easy step they are not following.

(Edit: Spelling)

This comment was edited on Oct 21, 2013, 09:56.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 20, 2013, 11:31  Blue 

Krovven wrote on Oct 20, 2013, 10:30:
    Creston wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 20:42:
    xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 19, 2013, 19:46:
    Who ended up fisnihing the BN logo for our Crew? Is it possible to do the background black and then Blue? Or does it not show well? Was thinking about changing our crew color white if we leave the emblem the way it is, just to make it pop more. White box on cars and shirts looks kinda goofy.

As seen here?

Or frame it, that would be better I guess, just add a border around the outside? Don't even know if that is possible.....lame ass tools.

I thought Blue had made a more Vice City'ish logo?

How to make a transparent background.

I made the backgroung transparent. How is it now?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

20. Re: Hey Blue Oct 2, 2013, 15:10  Blue 

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 15:08:
    2 Questions: 1) Can we use your logo for the GTA club, 2)is there a HD version of the logo anywhere?

1) Sure and 2) I dunno, the one in the corner is a high-rez png, it's just small. You want a larger one I presume?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

22. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2013, 19:18  Blue 

Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 14:02:
    Blue,

how much extra are they charging you for Genie? I've been thinking about getting one.

$3.00 more per month as a "whole home" DVR charge and no installation charges. They did, however, rope me into a two-year contract.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 29, 2013, 11:09  Blue 

Julio wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 10:49:
    When there's no chair throwing, no point in watching Ballmer.

Bah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edN4o8F9_P4

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2013, 10:02  Blue 

Verno wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 09:59:
    Just a heads up Blue, the Morning Patches section is duped. They give you too much codeine?

Actually this is mostly a "problem" with my new PC being too fast and responsive as I post the stories, as it's registering some inputs twice if I'm a little heavy-handed on the keyboard. I'm working on how to fix that on my end, but obviously I also need to keep a more careful eye out for when it happens in the meantime.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2013, 23:02  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 19:01:
    Blue, I was still getting the white space issue, I installed an ad-blocker and it went away - so your thoughts on the issue are true.

Ads I show active on the page.
    Facebook Social Plugins
    Google +1
    Google Analytics
    Intergi (*assuming it is this one)

Yeah, I was told today that they are actively working on addressing this and the ads that have been popping out on mouseover. Sorry about the problems, hopefully they will be addressed soon enough.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Op Ed
    61. Re: Op Ed Sep 26, 2013, 09:54  Blue 

Verno wrote on Sep 26, 2013, 08:38:
    RollinThundr wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 11:59:
    Fact of the matter is

My fault for trusting this wouldn't go this far.

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 21, 2013, 19:23:
    Liberal tears are so delicious.

As are the tears of those banned for trolling, I warn you.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3724 Comments. 187 pages. Viewing page 12.
    < Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo