Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Stephen Heaslip

Real Name Stephen Heaslip   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Blue
Email blue@bluesnews.com
ICQ None given.
Description I can make any car pop a wheelie.
Homepage http://www.bluesnews.com/
Signed On Dec 0, 0000, 00:00
Total Comments 3739 (Veteran)
User ID 2

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 17, 2013, 12:14  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 11:55:
Anyone doing an experiment with proper scientific procedure is a scientist...

Just trying to be brief but informative. From the article:

The experiment earned the five students top honors in a regional science competition. Moreover, according to a teacher at their school, Kim Horsevad, a professor of neuroscience at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden was so impressed with the experiment that he is interested in repeating it in a controlled scientific environment.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2013, 12:12  Blue 

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 12:09:
I'm only a couple of hours north of you, Blue and the snow is hitting us as well. I guess the foot of snow we got over the weekend wasn't enough. It was -2 when I left for work this morning! My coworker said it was -12 at his place this morning. uuugh. I'm not a fan of all this snow.

I was surprised how cold it was this morning too. I had to refill the bird-feeder and my fingers stuck to the metal!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
28. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 11:19  Blue 

ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 11:09:
Blue wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 11:03:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:54:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:46:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:33:
Your jokes would be funny if they were based in reality. Adding more people to a project slows it down in the short term rather than speed it up. It's much worse when it's multiple teams in different locations. That's absolute truth in the software industry and that's part of his explanation for the delay.

________

He explains that the overabundance of funding they received has allowed them to proceed faster than anticipated, which, counterintuitively means they are delaying the dogfighting module they intended to be one of the first elements of the game released to the public.

Ya reading is hard...

That's Blue's interpretation of what Roberts said. The only thing close to that that he said was that they were able to implement some features that they didn't expect they could do so soon. I'm guessing he's talking about mocap primarily. What he said though is that their teams are ramping up and synchronizing everything when the teams are still being set up is tough.

I disagree. I think what I wrote is a fair summary of what Chris wrote, which is this:

The incredible surge in funding this year has helped the long term picture. We have been able to ramp up sooner and wider than we originally thought. This means more features and content will be in the game at launch. We’re further along than originally planned in building the tech for the persistent and instancing server backend which will ultimately drive Star Citizen. Both Squadron 42 and First Person Personal combat / boarding have full teams working in parallel, in addition to the teams in Los Angeles, Austin and Montreal working on the Dogfighting and Planetside components. We have smaller groups of people supporting these efforts from CGBot in Austin & Monterrey, Mexico and Void Alpha in San Francisco.

Long term, this is great for the game, but in the short term, getting multiple teams up to speed has definitely taken some bandwidth from myself and the initial team members.
Which brings us to the Dogfighting module;

I guess you could read it that way, but I think that the delay is because of the teams and not these extra features. Whatever, you're right, I'm too starstrucked from being replied to by Blue.

Perhaps you are attributing some of the comments in this thread to me? I don't see where I said the extra features caused any delay. What I wrote was that Roberts says that the money has helped them proceed faster, but they are delaying this module, and I called that counter-intuitive... I don't consider that an editorial stretch.

And there's certainly no need to be startstruck, I am just concerned with addressing whether I added some spin to this that wasn't there. (And apologies for all the nested quoting, it was hard to figure out a way to trim this mess down.)

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay
23. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Delay Dec 17, 2013, 11:03  Blue 

ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:54:
dj LiTh wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:46:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 17, 2013, 10:33:
Your jokes would be funny if they were based in reality. Adding more people to a project slows it down in the short term rather than speed it up. It's much worse when it's multiple teams in different locations. That's absolute truth in the software industry and that's part of his explanation for the delay.

________

He explains that the overabundance of funding they received has allowed them to proceed faster than anticipated, which, counterintuitively means they are delaying the dogfighting module they intended to be one of the first elements of the game released to the public.

Ya reading is hard...

That's Blue's interpretation of what Roberts said. The only thing close to that that he said was that they were able to implement some features that they didn't expect they could do so soon. I'm guessing he's talking about mocap primarily. What he said though is that their teams are ramping up and synchronizing everything when the teams are still being set up is tough.

I disagree. I think what I wrote is a fair summary of what Chris wrote, which is this:

The incredible surge in funding this year has helped the long term picture. We have been able to ramp up sooner and wider than we originally thought. This means more features and content will be in the game at launch. We’re further along than originally planned in building the tech for the persistent and instancing server backend which will ultimately drive Star Citizen. Both Squadron 42 and First Person Personal combat / boarding have full teams working in parallel, in addition to the teams in Los Angeles, Austin and Montreal working on the Dogfighting and Planetside components. We have smaller groups of people supporting these efforts from CGBot in Austin & Monterrey, Mexico and Void Alpha in San Francisco.

Long term, this is great for the game, but in the short term, getting multiple teams up to speed has definitely taken some bandwidth from myself and the initial team members.
Which brings us to the Dogfighting module;

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

16. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 16, 2013, 19:02  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 18:39:
Julio wrote on Dec 16, 2013, 17:43:
Love the sidewalk truck. Totally deserved.

What the hell is that? I didn't know VW make pickups. I've certainly never seen one in my life. Man, I'd love one of those. It's so hard finding a small pickup here. Nevermind anything that's AWD and diesel. Which is precisely what I need.

You might be able to get a good price on that one.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
64. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 14, 2013, 10:14  Blue 

DG wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 08:24:
boo, might have gotten around to playing if I could have left them in the list there. Oh well thanks

With their strident anti-DRM stance, it would be more than a little odd for GOG.com to offer Steam keys.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 14, 2013, 10:10  Blue 

nin wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 00:37:
Prez wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 00:30:
It's fairly new but I get the feeling the middling reviews hurt sales.

Whole team got axed.

Is our slightly klugy search system the reason when things like this come up that people end up referring to stories on other sites rather than when it was reported here? I see it happen fairly often, so I'm thinking this is something I should concern myself with.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

29. Re: removed Dec 12, 2013, 19:06  Blue 

scarlet wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 16:03:
Clearly, Einstein, as if I were questioning that.

Merely making an observation and the callous nature of decision to remove my harmless comment. My sincerest apologies if that doesn't sit well with you. Who am I to question the mighty grand poo-bah, "The Half Elf", who speaks on behalf of the administrator of this site?

Sorry, at this point we've had so much political trolling that randomly invoking health care flags your post as destructively off-topic.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 12, 2013, 12:03  Blue 

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 11:51:
El Pit wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 11:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 11:25:
Who buys from Zavvi when you can buy from Amazon? Honest question here, is it a UK only thing? Why would you choose them over Amazon?

Because Amazon would let you keep the accidentially sent PS Vita. Sure.

I doubt they'd let you keep it for free, but Amazon would probably be smart and offer a rebate to those who got one by accident ^^

In the U.S. you are legally entitled to keep goods sent to you by mistake as a "free gift," according to the FTC.

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?
A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Q. Must I notify the seller if I keep unordered merchandise without paying for it?
A. You have no legal obligation to notify the seller. However, it is a good idea to write a letter to the company stating that you didn’t order the item and, therefore, you have a legal right to keep it for free. This may discourage the seller from sending you bills or dunning notices, or it may help clear up an honest error. Send your letter by certified mail. Keep the return receipt and a copy of the letter for your records. You may need it later.

Source

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2013, 20:03  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 19:53:
Oh come on, that wasn't that bad and those people deserve that. If you believe in fairies, clap your hands!

RollinThunder got banned for political trolling. You are supposed to get a pass because...?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

2. Re: removed Dec 11, 2013, 09:30  Blue 

nin wrote on Dec 11, 2013, 09:21:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Dec 11, 2013, 09:30.

Sorry, I don't think I want these forums to be that kind of springboard.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

38. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2013, 14:13  Blue 

Frags4Fun wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 13:47:
Atomic wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 12:33:
Creston wrote on Dec 10, 2013, 10:35:
I think my dad still has that modem somewhere, but I'll be buggered if I can remember that init string!

The best string was AT &F V1 &C1 &D2 X4 &K0 S11=50 S46=136 if you had a US Robotics Sportster 56K, but who didn't, right?

Did 56k modems even exist yet when Doom was in its prime? Maybe you weren't talking about that period in time. I know that when Quake came out, I had a 28.8k modem and didn't get a 56k until Quake 2 or Tribes came out (Can't remember which). It wasn't the best at the time though (the 28.8k) so maybe I'm wrong about the 56k.

No I don't think so... I remember writing about 56K modems as a future thing in news stories on this site. If I recall there was a debate in the DOOM days over whether it was actually helpful or not to go past 9600 baud or if that was the "sweet spot" for best gameplay.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

29. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2013, 13:46  Blue 

Quboid wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 13:39:
Established 1995. Over three-quarters of a billion visitors since 1997.

Congratulations!

Nice catch! And thank you (and everyone else).

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 6, 2013, 08:50  Blue 

nin wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 08:49:
Pachter: "I don't know why Iwata is I'm still employed".

What do I win?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2013, 09:35  Blue 

fujiJuice wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:10:
Just from looking at today and yesterday the "Starbound Beta Details" and from yesterday the "DICE pauses all future products". There is probably more. Basically any story that links to previous stories on bluesnews.com excluding the "read more" link.

Thanks for pointing that out... I think I have all the broken links fixed. Sorry about that.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Dec 4, 2013, 09:34  Blue 

panbient wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 08:01:
Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 23:28:
Chance to check out Fallout 4 if you're in Dallas. Lucky bastiges!

Where they're calling it 'upcoming and released' games, it sounds more like a job playtesting ports. Especially where this is a voluntary position that features an NDA.

Well, being in Dallas, I'd actually expect this to be testing at id Software.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2013, 10:36  Blue 

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 10:03:
Well, I was going to ask, but glad you mentioned Huddy was home, I was concearned how Gunnar would take it - but pets understand death to - so I am glad everyone was home so Gunnar could also understand the absence and grieve.

She probably went an hour or so before we woke up, so Gunnar got to experience it first. By the time we discovered her, he was no longer even paying attention to her corpse, he just concerned himself with comforting us, he knew already that even though her body was there, she was gone.

It's amazing how clearly he understands what happened, and I can see the wisdom of the advice to let them have this closure. He was previously more attached to Huddy than to either of us, to the extent that he was starting to get mopey because she was doing poorly. He's already back to his happy-go-luck self, whereas in the past, if Hudson left the house without him, he couldn't be distracted by anything but waiting for her until she returned, so if she had just gone off to the doctor's one day and never returned, we would have had a difficult situation with him.

We are here for you brother.

Thanks, it's a great comfort.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
9. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 22, 2013, 11:50  Blue 

Atomic wrote on Nov 22, 2013, 11:48:
Can someone explain to me why a new game would be considered Fallout 4? Why is NV not counted as number 4?

Because NV is not the Roman numeral for four?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending
10. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Ending Nov 13, 2013, 07:34  Blue 

El Pit wrote on Nov 13, 2013, 01:22:
Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2013, 23:38:
Ver ist Berlin?!

Where is Berlin? = Wo ist Berlin?

Who is Berlin? = Wer ist Berlin?

Learning German - Lesson 1

Ich bin ein Berliner!

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

13. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2013, 11:35  Blue 

DrSquick wrote on Nov 8, 2013, 10:31:
Blue, that got me thinking - do you prepare Saturday's and Sunday's posts ahead of time? Or have you worked seven days a week for the last 15 years?

The latter.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3739 Comments. 187 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo