Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jow

Real Name Jow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 20, 2003, 03:46
Total Comments 356 (Amateur)
User ID 19744

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Announced
4. Re: C&C4 Announced Jul 9, 2009, 13:20 Jow

oh god, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
113. Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 16:29 Jow

Wow. Just wow. I didn't really need another reason to not buy this game but I got one free of charge. Thanks Blizz.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II Map Tool Nears
2. Re: Dawn of War II Map Tool Nears Jun 24, 2009, 23:18 Jow

unfortunately this is still way off, probably around 2 months at this point.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Confirmed
37. Re: What they need to do... Jun 10, 2009, 20:07 Jow

I really liked the naval combat a lot myself but it's likely never coming back. DICE nixed it in BF2 due to griefing in 1942 (people getting into the ship driver's seat and then driving it off the map, depriving teams of spawn points, prematurely ending rounds, etc).  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Announced
64. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Announced Jun 1, 2009, 16:53 Jow

I agree it is too soon, but everybody seems okay with a new Call of Duty being released each year, so when Valve does it it's somehow a crime?

I definitely am not. Played the original Call of Duty, then the sequel, and haven't touched any of the subsequent games. Two games was more than enough of me to tire of the heavy duty on-rails gameplay those games offer. I downloaded (yeah, pirated) the 5th one just to see how multiplayer was for a LAN party we were planning and it was uninstalled and deleted within a couple of hours. *shrug* Obviously some people are still gaga over them because they continue making them.

Add me to the list of people disappointed in the longevity of L4D. There's a good reason TF2 is getting so much more attention - it's an objective-oriented game with varied game types, not a game developed around a particular cinematic experience like L4D. Additionally, with the class-based system, it's a game where developing new and interesting content is intuitive enough that they can keep up the flow, improving the game without completely changing the original design.

That said, for all you people lamenting the lack of real DLC for L4D, what sorts of things can you imagine as DLC that wouldn't completely change or dilute the original experience? New weapons? More maps? More game modes? The problem as I see it is that even if you do add all this stuff, the end product will still revolve around the basic cinematic experience of zombie killing. The game was wonderful as a proof of concept and perhaps as a tech demo (AI director and all the other technology they improvised for the game) but once that novelty wears out there really is nothing left.

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Trailer
12. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 15:05 Jow

since the first one was crap, I can't imagine any reason this one would come out all shiny and wonderful. Still, if you loved the first one... party on.  

News Comments > Supreme Commander 2 Trailer
2. Re: Supreme Commander 2 Trailer May 29, 2009, 12:44 Jow

The video has no gameplay, but it does have giant robots.

Wow, just like the original game.

News Comments > TF2 Update, Free Weekend, Sale
17. Re: TF2 Update, Free Weekend, Sale May 21, 2009, 23:04 Jow

welp, speaking for myself, I LIKE earning them through the achievements. Most of the achievements are entertaining enough and I'm patient enough to wait for the unlocks. I just wish they'd stuck to their guns and given us an option of how we wanted to approach the unlocks, rather than making them independent of the achievements globally.  

15. Re: TF2 Update, Free Weekend, Sale May 21, 2009, 22:51 Jow

Something interesting in the changelog - apparently unlocks aren't tied to achievements anymore. I thought at one point they mentioned they were going to allow the people who enjoyed unlocking via achievements to still do and the whiners to get them by other means? Bah.  

13. Re: TF2 Update, Free Weekend, Sale May 21, 2009, 22:36 Jow

i generally don't play for a week or two after major class updates to avoid all the asshattery, and am planning to follow suit here as well as I'm expecting Retardo Nation with all the spies and snipers that'll be running around for a while. Looking forward to checking it out once the furor dies out.  

News Comments > TF2 2 Sniper Spy Update
7. Re: TF2 2 <strike>Sniper</strike> Spy Update May 16, 2009, 09:16 Jow

as much as i hate hate hate spies, they badly needed a boost because right now it's way too easy to shut them down.  

News Comments > TF2 Game Mode & Maps Planned
2. Re: TF2 Game Mode & Maps Planned May 13, 2009, 20:33 Jow

just wisdh they were able to come up with some l4d content that had the same oomph.  

News Comments > L4D Survival Pack Tomorrow
2. Re: Left 4 Dead Survival Pack Tomorrow Apr 20, 2009, 21:22 Jow

question is, is anyone actually still playing?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Demigod
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 13:33 Jow

This might be a great game in the end, but:

Developed by renowned gaming studio Gas Powered Games

“Demigod in many ways captures the combined spirit of two hit Gas Powered Games titles – Supreme Commander and Dungeon Siege

Definitely not a good way to pimp this title.

News Comments > TF2 Sniper Update Details
5. Re: TF2 Sniper Update Details Apr 2, 2009, 22:19 Jow

Team Fortress 2: making Left 4 Dead and Battlefield Heroes more pointless by the day.

Aaaaaaamen.

News Comments > StarCraft II Beta Invites Coming?
2. Re: StarCraft II Beta Invites Coming? Mar 19, 2009, 22:57 Jow

*spurt*  

News Comments > On Digital Distribution
9. Re: On Digital Distribution Mar 4, 2009, 18:17 Jow

Here's a partial list of stuff that's been going on (from someone who's been involved since the Soulstorm closed beta):

--Downloading of both the beta and the full game itself was plagued with problems. Personally, it took 3 attempts to download both the beta and the full because downloads kept hanging, pausing, going back to "download starting..." over and over, and whenever it'd resume it'd always start back over at the beginning. I actually had one download tell me it was complete but half the game's files were mysteriously missing and I had to start over. It was amazingly frustrating and I've not experienced this with any other steam downloads/patches, etc.

--There were issues with the memory heap in 32-bit Vista, such that any machines running that flavor of OS and running the game on higher than medium graphics settings were crashing fairly frequently due to running out of texture memory. I was part of this group as well and though they released an update two weeks to fix it, running on ultra settings (which my computer runs rather well gameplay-wise) is still impossible as it results in the same dump183 bug.

--Multiplayer has a gamebreaking bug in it right now where reinforcing squads costs more in popcap than it should, artificially inflating what you have in the field, raising upkeep costs, and eventually preventing you from reinforcing or buying more units despite the fact that you should have plenty of cap room. This was discovered on release day but despite a bunch of meandering about how long it takes to get code fixes pushed and what GFWL has to do to approve patches, it's now been two weeks since release and we don't have a fix for this. Multiplayer is completely in the can because of this.

--There are a bunch of niggling little bugs that appear in both the campaign mode and in multiplayer. Occasionally, units will stop responding to movement or toolbar commands and will just continue the tasks they were doing when they went unresponsive until killed or the mission ends. Something I've seen 3-4x thus far - occasionally the screen will suddenly take on a will of its own and shoot to some far corner of the screen where nothing is going on. Hitting something to return to a squad or unit jumps back there briefly, but then it flies back to the same exact extreme of the screen where it was before. I've been able to get this to stop behaving this way by going into the mouse settings and changing the scroll speed, but this is completely ridiculous. Also, there are occasional things like units coming out of buildings permanently stuck behind bits of scenery (had this in a campaign mission earlier, which caused me to be unable to retreat or progress, so I had to exit the mission and lost a day of progress), units dying instantly despite not getting hit by anything (had Thaddeus killed in the middle of a jump from max health with nothing actually there just earlier today), and on and on.

Each one of these things is pretty minor, but when you take em into account as a whole and that they're really just the tip of the iceberg... anyone who's been playing without any issues at all is extremely fortunate.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2009, 18:17.

5. Re: On Digital Distribution Mar 4, 2009, 16:17 Jow

The Dawn of War II thing isn't going to last. There were TREMENDOUS launch issues for a lot of people (myself included) related to Steam. Launch in general was pretty much a disaster with newly introduced bugs (one gamebreaker of which still hasn't been fixed), etc. I like Relic but this has been arguably the worst launch in their history.  

3. Re: On Digital Distribution Mar 4, 2009, 15:13 Jow

on top of all these other issues, there's always the joy of having your purchases tied to being online. Digital distribution isn't this utopian model they claim it to be, obviously... yet.  

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2009, 11:50 Jow

Valve has for the fourth time unintentionally managed to turn their game into a wasteland of human desperation, greed, selfishness, malevolence, and irritation.

The community at-large out there is like that anyway - it just comes out more at times like these.

356 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo