Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jow

Real Name Jow   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jow
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 20, 2003, 03:46
Total Comments 357 (Amateur)
User ID 19744

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced
7. Re: Carmageddon: Reincarnation Announced Jun 1, 2011, 10:37 Jow

lots of great memories of LANing the original games that buddies and I still talk about occasionally. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 15:21 Jow

grabbed. I'm a sucker for this indie stuff.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Frozen Synapse May 26, 2011, 14:48 Jow

I'm intrigued by this, especially with the "free copy for a friend" deal.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 26, 2011, 13:03 Jow

I think the BFBC2: Vietnam bit is a mistake since it appears the ign store has the original game for 50% off, not the expansion.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Patch
8. Re: Dragon Age II Patch Mar 17, 2011, 15:39 Jow

ya know, the current state of pc gaming demands a pretty much persistent state of "caveat emptor". As shitty as it is, if you're impatient enough to pay top dollar to buy a AAA game immediately after release, you should EXPECT the game to be buggy and in desperate need of patching. If you don't want to deal with that, put the wallet away and wait. There's a certain degree of wahwah-victimhood to all this that could be greatly mitigated if people read the writing on the wall.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day
49. Re: Dragon Age II Controversy of the Day Mar 15, 2011, 15:29 Jow

that anyone could call the combat in DA2 "the best rpg combat ever" shows how far the industry (and our expectations) have fallen.  

News Comments > Transformers Online Announced
2. Re: Transformers Online Announced Mar 14, 2011, 21:20 Jow

huge appetite, really?  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City in October
9. Re: Batman: Arkham City in October Mar 11, 2011, 13:44 Jow

I'll be first in line for this one. Can't wait.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus
29. Re: Battlefield 3 Footage, Preorder Bonus Feb 23, 2011, 11:18 Jow

yeah, 60 bucks is definitely not okay. This has become a wait-until-price-drop purchase rather than the day 1 it was previously.  

News Comments > New Relic RTS Plans
14. Re: New Relic RTS Plans Feb 15, 2011, 11:22 Jow

They've already announced they're going to begin work on DoW3 when Retribution finally hits shelves, with an ETA of the final game about two years later. I gotta imagine it's something Homeworld-related since the last Company of Heroes retail product didn't sell so well and their online version of CoH tanked.

I may be in the minority but I've been less and less impressed with DoW2 multiplayer over time, mainly due to balance issues. I think they tried to keep too much of the Company of Heroes framework for multiplayer and that ruleset just doesn't translate very well to the Dawn of War universe imo.

News Comments > Art of Video Games Voting
7. Re: Art of Video Games Voting Feb 14, 2011, 23:14 Jow

was just voting on these and the site went apeshit. None of the images load or anything now just blank black boxes. Was all excited about this too. Blah.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Retribution Beta Begins
7. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Beta Begins Feb 11, 2011, 12:17 Jow

the problem as I see it is that they already have a bitch of a time balancing properly in this game due to the number of variables involved. The game's been out for 2 years and they are still monkeying around with very basic weapons and abilities. Customizing wargear choices and a "bunch" of new upgrades and powers would compound this dramatically imo.

As much as we like having new toys, I'm a big proponent of "less is more". I'd even be content with new races and no new units if it meant they'd finally be able to balance the damn game.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Details
21. Re: Battlefield 3 Details Feb 8, 2011, 12:17 Jow

I'd be very seriously bummed if they didn't get commander mode in there.  

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month
13. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Closed Beta This Month Jan 18, 2011, 11:17 Jow

i went crazy when the beta for dow2 hit, going so far as to buy a copy of soulstorm just to get into it early. Fast-forward 2 years later and I can only say it was one of the biggest gaming mistakes I've ever made. This game was a bugfest and balancing nightmare from day 1 and I eventually gave up on it.

Don't get me wrong - the single player campaign was a blast, even better in Chaos Rising. Multiplayer, however, has been a joke for a long time. They have indeed supported the hell out of the game, but many of those patches were to fix major issues they introduced in other patches. Balance has been a ridiculous problem as well, with patch after patch fixing some problems but creating others. I came to the conclusion a while back that the game is going to be ever-changing because it's not truly possible to balance it completely (four races, so many different abilities, etc).

Anyway, having bailed on multiplayer for good, I'm not interested in paying $30 for a single-player campaign so I'm passing on this one. Hopefully they get their acts together a bit more for DoW3.

News Comments > Shogun 2 in March 2011
10. Re: Shogun 2 in March 2011 Nov 11, 2010, 18:34 Jow

Agreed with the naysayers on the AI front. Overblown, really?  

News Comments > Bejeweled 3 Next Month
3. Re: Bejeweled 3 Next Month Nov 1, 2010, 11:59 Jow

I'm not sure I've ever seen the word 'mellifluous' used in a press release before. Kudos.  

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine & Red Faction: Armageddon Delayed
6. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine & Red Faction: Armageddon Delayed Sep 13, 2010, 21:13 Jow

Glad to see they're giving Space Marine the extra time in the oven that Dawn of War II would have benefited tremendously from. Maybe learned their lesson?  

News Comments > Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced
5. Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Aug 17, 2010, 15:08 Jow

Singleplayer is definitely up my alley as well but unfortunately I'm not thrilled about what they've done with multiplayer either. What I'm REALLY looking forward to at this point is the next major base game release.  

News Comments > StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch
12. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 3, 2010, 12:41 Jow

Not really intended to be a lure, or even a troll... but it's because the success of this game broadcasts (with flashing lights) that 1) this industry is driven financially by brand recognition and 2) gameplay is ultimately less important than re-enchanting the gaming public with antiquated game design.  

News Comments > StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch
8. Re: StarCraft II is Year's Biggest PC Game Launch Aug 3, 2010, 12:22 Jow

PC gaming isn't dying, but if this game is supposed to be the harbinger of a healthy industry, the title that makes people take a good look at PC gaming again... we're in a lot of trouble.

nin wrote on Aug 3, 2010, 11:10:
OMFG PC GAMING IS DYING!!!

<sob sob>

357 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo