Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1418 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen at $48 Million
15. Re: Star Citizen at $48 Million Jul 15, 2014, 01:41 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 20:42:
Alien Languages – Do you speak Banu? We will work with real-world linguists to create distinctive and realistic alien languages for Star Citizen’s three biggest alien races, the Vanduul, the Xi’An and the Banu.

*Checks link. Makes sure it's not from The Onion.*

As a supporter of this project, even I think this is ridiculous.
Agreed. But the vote was that RSI should continue offering stretch goals, so they're going to have to get increasingly loony since Roberts doesn't want to go against the customers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battleborn Impressions
3. Re: Battleborn Impressions Jul 12, 2014, 15:08 ViRGE

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 12, 2014, 13:26:
Sounds like Super Monday Night Combat, which is a hoot but has fairly bland environments. It easily makes up for them with ridiculous commentators and very expressive characters. Wouldn't complain about another game in that style, and this looks to be it.
Agreed. Though SMNC was a disaster (F2P, too much MOBA); MNC on the other hand was a riot. It's still my favorite MP FPS from this decade.

News Comments > Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs
4. Re: Grim Fandango HD Remake Coming to PCs Jul 9, 2014, 19:06 ViRGE

As if there was any doubt...

Still, it's nice to get confirmation that it's coming. Not nearly enough people got to know Manny.

News Comments > CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak
17. Re: CliffyB Announces F2P PC Shooter Blue Streak Jul 8, 2014, 21:16 ViRGE

Bleh. I don't harbor any ill will towards CliffyB, but I can't get behind F2P. It's almost always done wrong, in a manner that sacrifices gameplay for profits.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 29, 2014, 18:54 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jun 29, 2014, 16:53:
Hey Blue, I think there's a typo in this list. It's inconceivable that Skyrim isn't #1.

In all seriousness, how can someone not own Skyrim at this point? It sold so many copies that I don't understand where the additional sales come from.

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
26. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:38 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:22:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:05:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 20:00:
Not Rebellion's pool. A retailer's pool. And it depends entirely on how they got in and what they had access to. The AMD hack retrieved the keys out of a bog standard text file for example; AMD's other keys weren't exposed because they didn't have a copy stored like that.
So again, where are the hack reports of this happening? It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure out who the keys would have come from. There's no information on it, no retailer and rebellion isn't saying what retailer either. All they're coming across as saying it "they was stolen!eleventy one!!!111!" Security through obscurity isn't a plan, neither is refusing to divulge a retailer who has piss poor security, and can't keep moderately-secure information secure.

They are not going to accuse another company of anything until they're damn sure what's going on. That's how you get sued, and Rebellion are sure to be quite familiar with that.
Bingo. Rebellion isn't going to name & shame anyone at this time, and the retailer isn't going to self-report unless customer data was exposed. In fact if it was just keys that were taken, then it's unlikely the retailer will ever come forward since it would just scare off customers.

21. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 20:00 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 19:58:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 19:53:
Hacked as in stolen from another retailer's key pool. Presumably they would have needed to hack into that retailer to get the keys.
So you're saying that there was a major breach of rebellions auth pool? And Rebellion isn't reporting it to the public, or that various retailers had a breach of their auth servers as well and they're not reporting it? Sorry doesn't fly. Because if it was true, you'd see other keys being revoked as well.
Not Rebellion's pool. A retailer's pool. And it depends entirely on how they got in and what they had access to. The AMD hack retrieved the keys out of a bog standard text file for example; AMD's other keys weren't exposed because they didn't have a copy stored like that.

19. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 19:53 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 19:49:
Still wondering how you end up with "hacked" keys. A key works, or it doesn't. A key is region locked, or it's not. Simple as that, unless of course they're saying that someone figured out how to generate keys. Or someone from their own company stole a batch of keys and sold them.
Hacked as in stolen from another retailer's key pool. Presumably they would have needed to hack into that retailer to get the keys.

16. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 19:45 ViRGE

Quinn wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 19:34:
If the keys were truly stolen from a particular source, there are two possibilities:

1. The source didn't know they were stolen, which means doubles should've gone around with some people getting a message that "the key is already redeemed";
2. The source did know they were stolen, acted accordingly and people wouldn't have been able to redeem their blocked key.

None of the above is the case.
But isn't the case #2? The keys were stolen, it was reported, and the keys were revoked.

Keep in mind that the time it takes to do the above is not instantaneous. So if the keys were stolen and immediately usable, then some (if not many) would be activated before the issue was discovered, reported, and the revocation went through.

Moog wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 18:52:
CJS have another take on the situation... http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/blog/
Oh man, reading some of those posts cracks me up. All of the scumbag resellers got pinched by this, and now they're freaking out. Laugh

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2014, 19:51.

12. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 18:14 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:25:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:15:
How on earth do digital keys GET stolen anyway?

I wondered that as well. A retailer gets them, gets hacked, and then the hacker resells them to another retailer? And these other retailers are buying keys from some random person who approaches them?
To answer the first question about how they get stolen, you are fundamentally correct. There have been a few different incidents of servers being hacked and Steam game keys stolen. The most famous of which is probably AMD's servers being hacked to access their nearly million key supply of one of Codemasters' racing games (DiRT 3, I think it was). Generally one protects keys very well, but as the saying goes nobody is perfect. Though I would also note that in all of these cases the weak link has been the retailer/distributor and not the developer or publisher since the latter doesn't engage in direct key sales with individuals (so there's no reason to believe the keys were stolen directly from Rebellion).

The second question about the retailers then, the issue is always with shady 3rd party retailers. If you buy from Steam then you are buying from the source. But there are a number of other sites out there that are focused on selling Steam games at cutthroat prices or offering an eBay-like multi-vendor storefront for the former, such as Kinguin. These retailers will buy keys from anyone who is selling, particularly Russian and 3rd world distributors who are engaging in arbitrage. In these cases a key can potentially change hands several times before finally being sold.

Most likely what happened is that one of the shady retailers thought they were buying keys from Russians, only to instead end up with the hacked keys. And of course they operate a very low margin business, so they're pissed.

Meanwhile nothing about Rebellion's story looks out of place. While they're scummy for their stupid trademark dispute, this is exactly how a stolen keys scenario would play out.

The moral of the story being that this is why you should always buy from a legitimate retailer, such as the publisher or Steam (edit: or GMG). Because there are plenty of criminals out there who will gladly sell you stolen keys if they can get their hands on them.

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game
8. Re: Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game Jun 26, 2014, 19:32 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 13:32:
Given how quickly Sleeping Dogs went to $5 I wonder if they lost money on it and lost confidence in the AAA model.
Sleeping Dogs turned a profit and was good enough to justify a sequel. So they couldn't have done too poorly.

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
2. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 09:37 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:33:
Never would have guessed it would get so popular, but good for them. Fun game...

Indeed. I bought it back in Alpha; but I never thought it would take off like this.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 26, 2014, 00:25 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 21:22:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 18:13:
Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:29:
eSports competitors have had a hard time being recognised by the US government. League of Legends was last year deemed a professional sport by the US government, meaning international competitors can now travel to the US as professional athletes.

Oh lord. And the US wonders why it has an obesity epidemic.
It's a classification for visa purposes, not a statement on physical activity.

Uh, I fucking know. Is there some reason they can't be considered professional gamers?
Because the US doesn't have a category for that yet. It's easier to add new professions to existing categories than to go through a long process of adding new categories entirely.

Despite being seemingly open to anyone that wants to come as a tourist, US policy is generally unfriendly to anyone that wants to come on a visa to work here. Doubleplus so if it's someone from a country we do not like.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 25, 2014, 19:10 ViRGE

Reason number 532 why the Internet press annoys me: Why is "apologized" in quotes? It implies that she did not apologize and that there is a double meaning to that word, when in fact there is not.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 25, 2014, 18:13 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:29:
eSports competitors have had a hard time being recognised by the US government. League of Legends was last year deemed a professional sport by the US government, meaning international competitors can now travel to the US as professional athletes.

Oh lord. And the US wonders why it has an obesity epidemic.
It's a classification for visa purposes, not a statement on physical activity.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 24, 2014, 23:47 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 22:50:
The only difference between Ben's articles and a Gamefaqs post these days is that he runs a spell check.
Hey now, Ben is one of the better writers of this era. And in this specific case he's 110% correct.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Jun 24, 2014, 16:36 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 11:10:
Fan reaction to Garden Warfare has been nothing short of amazing.

Really? Where? In some local cafe down your street or something? Did you get confused between this and PvZ 2?

Launch trailer contains no gameplay footage. Mention of booster packs, in-game coins, etc. so monetized out the ass. Sounds like a winner.

I had relatively high hopes for this one since it's a lighthearted team based shooter. But leave it to EA to ruin it with P2W nonsense...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2014, 16:53 ViRGE

Ahh the modern age. Even when you buy the game on disc you still have to download your game.  

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
45. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 22:02 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:13:
Of course, with only 48 hours of it being free, I couldn't even get it downloaded in time on account of the insane size of their sound files.
To be clear, it's 48 hours from the time you start the game, not the download.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 20, 2014, 21:57 ViRGE

I can't say I'm surprised. For anyone that has played FTL the screen size problem would be pretty obvious.  

1418 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo