Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1628 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.com Additions
8. Re: GOG.com Additions May 12, 2015, 02:49 ViRGE

Generally I'm happy for DRM-free games. But for SR3, I'm just having a hard time imaging it without Steamworks. That was not a game that made trivial use of Steam, especially for MP.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Fallout 4 Speculation
17. Re: More Fallout 4 Speculation May 11, 2015, 15:46 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2015, 09:37:
I'm just really tired of being treated like a second banana by Bethsoft. Stop being so fucking cheap you bastards and build a proper and good PC UI. Jesus, we built your fucking company!
Because we're not the ones that sustain it in 2015.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization May 11, 2015, 15:37 ViRGE

Is Final Fantasy Type-0 HD coming to PS Vita?
As a Vita owner, I can safely say the answer to any "is good game X coming to Vita" question is no. Sony is kind enough to continue supporting the Vita and backing indie releases so that it's not entirely dead, but AAA devs are no longer bothering with it.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Voice Cast
5. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Voice Cast May 7, 2015, 22:35 ViRGE

bigspender wrote on May 7, 2015, 21:27:
Kevin Conroy is batman!
Indeed. Conroy and Strong are the VAs you expect to return; they're playing their characters. I think Cutter was complaining about the silliness of hiring A-list screen actors to voice the other characters.

News Comments > Star Trek on GOG.com
16. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 14:43 ViRGE

Flatline wrote on May 7, 2015, 14:28:
ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:28:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:24:
Needs: Bridge Commander and Klingon Academy. I enjoyed KA way, way, way more than BC.
Agreed. If you're going to release a Star Trek collection I guess you need to include Starfleet Academy, but it wasn't a very good game (the phasers weren't even phasers!). Klingon Academy was vastly superior as far as gameplay goes.

On the other hand, I'm glad they've included 25th and Judgement to start things off. Those are some excellent games all-around.

Klingon Academy was a Taldren game if memory serves. At least, they used all the models from Starfleet Command.

God that brings back memories. I know most people didn't like it (it was basically Starfleet Battles board game on the computer) but I played the F*CK out of SFC2. Too bad the multiverse/multiplayer mode never panned out for Taldren.

Edit: KA was a 14 degrees east production, which I guess was a precursor to Taldren
Taldren was a European company, IIRC. 14DE was an internal Interplay studio.

Parias wrote on May 7, 2015, 14:40:

Nah, Klingon Academy was an Interplay / 14 Degrees East endeavour AFAIK - Taldren wasn't involved. I don't think they could just bring over the SFC models either because they needed ships that were a lot more detailed for the "ginsu" model the game had -- the functionality that let ships dynamically break up into different chunks and pieces based on damage received.
Ahh Ginsu. There's nothing like blowing a hole in the Enterprise.

Though I do love some of the bugs in KA. The original version had an issue where the Assault Phaser would gradually take up more and more power as you fired it. I once kited the Fed BS in a Bird of Prey until it broke itself firing the AP at me, and then was able to (slowly) take the BS down.

10. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 13:46 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:33:
ViRGE wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:28:
Klingon Academy was vastly superior as far as gameplay goes.

On the other hand, I'm glad they've included 25th and Judgement to start things off. Those are some excellent games all-around.

Sadly I'm at the point where I think no one knows who owns the rights to KA. I'm just glad I've got a CD copy of the game and it still works so when I get the itch I can play it.
I'm pretty sure Interplay owns the rights, just like Starfleet Academy. It was all done by the same developer for the same publisher, so I don't see why the rights would be any different.

7. Re: Star Trek on GOG.com May 7, 2015, 13:28 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on May 7, 2015, 13:24:
Needs: Bridge Commander and Klingon Academy. I enjoyed KA way, way, way more than BC.
Agreed. If you're going to release a Star Trek collection I guess you need to include Starfleet Academy, but it wasn't a very good game (the phasers weren't even phasers!). Klingon Academy was vastly superior as far as gameplay goes.

News Comments > Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos
7. Re: Star Wars: Battlefront to Support Dolby Atmos May 6, 2015, 13:20 ViRGE

Does anyone know how Atmos differs from DirectSound3D, or any number of software HRTF solutions?  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black May 4, 2015, 21:19 ViRGE

Tom wrote on May 4, 2015, 21:14:
He was great in Spaceballs!
Holy cow, that was Tim Russ?!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 30, 2015, 16:18 ViRGE

I continue to be impressed by PS4 sales. For something so close to a PC (and not especially aggressive on specs) it's really cleaning up in such a short period of time.  

News Comments > Steam Game Bans
47. Re: Steam Game Bans Apr 30, 2015, 16:14 ViRGE

I see a lot of people here stating that a ban means you're locked out of the game entirely. Has that been confirmed anywhere? I wouldn't expect a ban to lock you out of game, just the MP portion.  

News Comments > More Star Wars Classics on GOG.com & Steam
19. Re: Multiplayer? Apr 29, 2015, 07:58 ViRGE

Ant wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 05:25:
InBlack wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 05:20:
Ant wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 05:17:
Do the old games, with their multiplayers, still work today? I still have my original games. :O

No. (That's an educated guess by the way )
Not even with (hack/mod)s? Darn. I'd love to replay them online!
You need to use a LAN bridge like Hamachi, but yes, they work. You just can't do "native" internet gaming since the MSN Zone is no longer in existence.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass and Premium Edition Details
6. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Season Pass and Premium Edition Details Apr 29, 2015, 01:36 ViRGE

Wait, race tracks?  

News Comments > More Star Wars Classics on GOG.com & Steam
11. Re: More Star Wars Classics on GOG.com & Steam Apr 28, 2015, 23:52 ViRGE

Task wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 20:51:
NICE. GoG pulled through, they said they would get the '94 X-Wing and '95 TIE up and they sure did!
Just to be clear for anyone who doesn't know their X-Wing/Tie Fighter versions, the list is such.

X-Wing
1) X-Wing '93: DOS Floppy Disk - VGA Graphics (320x200), flat shaded polygons, dynamic iMuse MIDI music, both expansions released on floppy disk
2) X-Wing '94: DOS CD-ROM Collectors Edition - VGA Graphics (320x200), gouraud shaded polygons (uses Tie Fighter engine), dynamic iMuse MIDI music, balance changes (X-Wing is notoriously difficult), both expansions built-in
3) X-Wing '98: Win9x Collectors Edition - SVGA Graphics (640x480) with texture mapped polygons + optional 3D hardware acceleration (uses X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter Engine), static CD audio music, both expansions built in

Tie Fighter
1) Tie Fighter '94: DOS Floppy Disk - VGA Graphics (320x200), gouraud shaded polygons, dynamic iMuse MIDI music, only first expansion released on floppy disk (making the floppy version essentially incomplete)
2) Tie Fighter '95: DOS CD-ROM Collectors Edition - SVGA Graphics (640x480), gouraud shaded polygons, dynamic iMuse MIDI music, both expansions built-in
3) Tie Fighter '98: Win9x Collectors Edition - SVGA Graphics (640x480) with texture mapped polygons + optional 3D hardware acceleration (uses X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter Engine), static CD audio music, both expansions built in

The #2 versions (DOS CD-ROM) were not initially released on GoG; only the #1 and #3 versions were available. Today's update fixes that, as GoG is now releasing the DOS CD-ROM versions of both games to buyers.

Anyhow, the importance if this is that depending on who you ask, either the DOS CD-ROM versions or the Win9x versions are the definitive versions. So for some people this means the definitive versions have only just now been put up for sale.

The Win9x version is the newest version (fewest mission bugs, best balanced) and is much, much better looking due to texture mapping plus hardware texture filtering, and offers Windows joystick support. On the other hand because CD audio was all the rage in 1998 and MIDI was rather unreliable, it lacks the iMuse dynamic music, which a lot of people liked and really set the environment for some of these missions.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2015, 00:02.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches
10. Re: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches Apr 27, 2015, 23:56 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 21:46:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 20:05:
Today: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches

Tomorrow: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Crashes Due To Lack Of Thrust to Reach Escape Velocity

The solution is simple: More Thrusters. The solution is ALWAYS more thrusters!
The Day After: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.1 Explodes On Launchpad Due to Poorly Engineered Rockets

News Comments > Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods
24. Re: Bethesda on Paid Skyrim Mods Apr 27, 2015, 20:15 ViRGE

Kajetan wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 19:26:
Apparently Valve pulled out. Paid mods have been removed from the Workshop. If this is permanent or just temporary ... no confirmation yet.

reddit
Wow, that was fast.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches
4. Re: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches Apr 27, 2015, 20:05 ViRGE

Today: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Launches

Tomorrow: Kerbal Space Program Version 1.0 Crashes Due To Lack Of Thrust to Reach Escape Velocity

News Comments > Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours
17. Re: Lost GTA5 Accounts Restoration Within 24 Hours Apr 23, 2015, 20:13 ViRGE

Krovven wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 11:50:
Just want to add that if this were indeed a data breach with Rockstar, this would not be limited to PC customers, which is currently seems to be. Console (only) users would be having the same problem in larger numbers. And as I said in one of the other threads, this doesn't seem to be widespread but rather a small number compared to the amount of Social Club users they actually have across 5 platforms.
Would there be any point in stealing console accounts though? PC accounts get you the game, AFAIK console accounts do not.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2015, 18:58 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 11:20:
Not surprising considering most engines are CPU bound when loading assets, and not IO bound (When using an SSD, anyway)
Indeed. And when a game is loading, it's typically a large, sequential access across and archive file. SSDs are fast sequentially, but it's their random access that really makes them sing.

It's the fact that you can load Windows in 10 seconds and not have your drive get bogged down just loading Word that makes SSDs so wonderful.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China Trailer
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China Trailer Apr 20, 2015, 21:54 ViRGE

We really need some gameplay video. That trailer ended up showing very little of how the game plays.  

1628 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo