Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1418 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Epigenesis
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Epigenesis Aug 2, 2014, 04:20 ViRGE

Has anyone tried this?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TOXIKK Announced
3. Re: TOXIKK Announced Aug 1, 2014, 20:11 ViRGE

bigspender wrote on Aug 1, 2014, 19:53:

And of course others would argue that having vehicles and massive nuke guns isn't exactly a fair fight, which seems to be another one of their selling points in the trailer.

You have played UT2004, right? This is clearly a homage to that.

News Comments > TOXIKK Announced
1. Re: TOXIKK Announced Aug 1, 2014, 19:22 ViRGE

I was a bit leery on this at first, but boy does this trailer sell it. There's something oh so right about fragging someone while jumping down a waterfall...

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this to catch it once it's in testing.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 1, 2014, 02:12 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 21:33:
NKD wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 20:52:
Was just linked this image purporting to be a press release from San Diego police.

If true: In short, no attack happened. She slipped and fell near the pool, and injuries are not consistent with any kind of assault. She fell 6 feet.

EDIT: This article has been updated with the same info. Looks like the investigation is closed and they won't be releasing any more info.

Ah, that makes more sense. Kind of neatly fits all the pieces together, doesn't it? I hope this is the case. And I hope that any charges against the BF are dropped, assuming he even is her BF, something he's strenuously denied from the start. I wish her a speedy recover regardless.
29 on 17. That just looks all kinds of bad for him.

News Comments > Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit
10. Re: Gearbox Fights Aliens Lawsuit Jul 31, 2014, 21:47 ViRGE

They argue that as the developer they should not be held accountable for the game and it's marketing, which were the responsibility of publisher SEGA.
That is admittedly a sound argument. SEGA would indeed be responsible for any advertising and any shenanigans thereof.

News Comments > On the Legality of "Code Stripping"
5. Re: On the Legality of Jul 31, 2014, 16:44 ViRGE

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 09:58:
Obviously the solutions are: Sell regionally, with a reasonable price. None of this, it's $39 pounds here, 21 euro's there, and $19 in North America. And people won't want to find cheaper copies.
The problem is that when cheap gamers see how little buyers in underdeveloped nations such as Malaysia (and even Russia) are paying, they suddenly get angry and feel like they're paying too much. Except they have cause & effect reversed.

Underdeveloped nations get cheap games because the options for a publisher are simple: release it at a price the locals can afford or they'll just pirate it. It's the difference between making at least some revenue in that territory and making none.

However sales in those regions generally don't make or break a game, again because they're so low. Westerners paying full price for a AAA game is where the bulk of the revenue comes from. So without price discrimination there would either be (even more) rampent piracy in underdeveloped nations if everyone paid western prices, or game development would cease being viable as revenues would be too low if everyone paid underdeveloped nation prices.

News Comments > Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek
13. Re: Deep Silver Acquires Homefront from Crytek Jul 30, 2014, 17:09 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2014, 13:31:
The curse of Homefront is passed on...

Indeed. Poor Deep Silver and poor Volition. They're screwed and they don't even know it.

News Comments > Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM
16. Re: Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and SecuROM Jul 29, 2014, 16:32 ViRGE

pagb wrote on Jul 29, 2014, 09:36:
Wasn't it the DRM featured in the game back then? I don't see EA spending time to remove it for a "free" release.
Bingo. This is the same DRM it always had and always will have. Even if EA was giving it away free forever - and they're not, they're still charging for it after this promo is up - it still wouldn't be worth their time to do a build and QA cycle for a new version without SecuROM. After all it's a free game.

News Comments > No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers
3. Re: No Stained Steam Keys for Bundle Buyers Jul 28, 2014, 20:22 ViRGE

Blackhawk wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 20:02:
They refuse to supply paid for, promised products and think it will result in people buying another copy just to be nice to them?

I can see why they're having problems.

From what I understand, Indie Royal bundle buyers already have a DRM free copy. So this is akin to Humble Bundle sales where the Steam key is distributed as a secondary freebie to buyers.

However even after reading through the entire post, I'm not sure why the developer has ceased distributing Steam keys. As far as I know the keys are free. So I am unsure whether it's a concern about time commitments or something else entirely.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Jul 28, 2014, 18:59 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 10:54:
I think the fact that they found the old myth of cartridges being buried in the desert to be true is quite interesting, but it's interesting solely as a fact.
It was not and never was a myth. There are NYT articles from the 80s discussing the burial. That every Tom, Dick, and Jane didn't know the exact location does not make it fictitious nor supernatural.

Fact of the matter is that I'm not even sure why someone would want to dig all of this stuff up. It's junk, which is why it was sent to a landfill in the first place.

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 28, 2014, 17:54 ViRGE

ldonyo wrote on Jul 28, 2014, 12:38:
NYT must be desperate for readers if they're sinking this low for headlines about Comic-Con.
Once you read the story it's a far less provocative title than it first appears. And actually this is rather consistent with how they title their slice-of-life articles.

News Comments > The Walking Dead: Season Three Confirmed
7. Re: The Walking Dead: Season Three Confirmed Jul 27, 2014, 18:40 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on Jul 27, 2014, 15:26:
what i don't like is they intentionally keep the graphics bad so it can be easily ported to mobile/tablets.
While I don't doubt that's part of the reason, I suspect the more simplistic look is so that art development doesn't take too long. Art is already the single biggest cost of any AAA game, and if you want to release frequently like TTG does then you don't want to be in a position where each episode needs years of art.

News Comments > Screencheat Embraces Screencheating
13. Re: Screencheat Embraces Screencheating Jul 25, 2014, 16:36 ViRGE

Heh, that's amusingly clever. I'll definitely have to take some time to try out the beta next month.  

News Comments > Titanfall Update to Add Marketplace, Not Microtransactions
7. Re: Titanfall Update to Add Marketplace, Not Microtransactions Jul 24, 2014, 16:47 ViRGE

Beelzebud wrote on Jul 24, 2014, 12:37:
The last time I checked this turd still doesn't have basic SLI support, but they're working on crap like this?
And it never will. Their rendering method is inherently SLI-incompatible.

News Comments > Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris in December
2. Re: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris in December Jul 23, 2014, 16:43 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:38:
looks cool but also a one and done play through, every time I play a coop game like this the rest of the party wants to treat it like a speedrun.
It's all about who you play with. Unfortunately my pals are the same way, so I feel for you.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
21. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 22, 2014, 03:41 ViRGE

SlimRam wrote on Jul 21, 2014, 22:38:
This is from they're website:

..and I have no idea what it means
They're basically defining themselves as a think tank now.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 21, 2014, 21:06 ViRGE

The problem with the ESPN2 special is that it was clearly a Valve production that was almost certainly meant to be a Twitch show only to get bumped up to ESPN2. Which is to say that it was designed for the start for the DOTA2 hardcore, and without the meaningful involvement of ESPN.

Given how close to the event the special was announced, I don't know if they didn't have enough time to plan it or what. It was a decent show for its intended audience, but it had no business being on ESPN2.

Edit: I'm starting to wonder if Cutter is right and Valve paid ESPN for this...

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 2014, 21:15.

News Comments > PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name
4. Re: PC Gaming Alliance Gives Up, Changes Name Jul 21, 2014, 20:56 ViRGE

With no snark intended here, I'd call this a loss, but I'm honestly not sure what the PC Gaming Alliance ever accomplished. Outside of the occasional press release I can't recall their name ever popping up, so if they were achieving anything it was behind the scenes and being done very quietly. I suspect that was not the case however, and they simply failed to meet their objectives.

In which case I wish them the best of luck as the OGA. Hopefully they have more success here than they did as a PC organization.

News Comments > Subscription MMOG Market Analysis
15. Re: Subscription MMOG Market Analysis Jul 19, 2014, 16:13 ViRGE

As the mobile games market grows more crowded, the anticipated value of brands is starting to become evident as we observed the explosive success of Kim Kardashian: Hollywood (Glu Mobile). The game managed to become a top grossing mobile title in just a few weeks, due to a combination of the high visibility of Kim Kardashian, experienced game design from Glu Mobile and a clear targeting of female mobile gamers. Provided its success persists, the title is currently on track to generate $200 million this year.
God that's just sad.

News Comments > The International Tourney on TV
9. Re: The International Tourney on TV Jul 17, 2014, 20:41 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2014, 18:52:
I wonder how much this set Valve back. They had to pay ESPN for this coverage for sure.
Eh? I'd think it would be the other way around. ESPN would be paying for access.

1418 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo