Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1223 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Firefly Universe Online
9. Re: Firefly Universe Online Jan 5, 2013, 20:32 ViRGE

Panickd wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 19:06:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jan 5, 2013, 18:53:
I wonder how much money changed hands? I expect they want a cut of the IP they killed a decade ago in their infinite wisdom.

Fuck you, Fox. Forever.

Given that Joss Whedon is now a mega director of the highest grossing movie out there I suspect Fox wants to keep from rocking that particular boat and since Whedon is a big supporter of his fans this was probably just a move to stay on his good side. I seriously doubt any money changed hands here seeing as this project doesn't have any to give. I wouldn't rule out Fox shaking them down in the highly unlikely event that this game turns out a winner though.
Except Disney owns Whedon, not Fox.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The War Z at War
5. Re: The War Z at War Jan 4, 2013, 10:37 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:31:
ASeven wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 10:27:
You reap what you sow and these guys sure are reaping a plentiful harvest of nastiness.

Pretty much. I can't say I feel pity for them, after everything that happened.

You should. As crappy as the situation is, a DoS attack is never the answer. Especially since DoS attacks have high amounts of collateral damage.

News Comments > LEGO: Legends of Chima Announcements
8. Re: LEGO: Legends of Chima Announcements Jan 2, 2013, 17:12 ViRGE

is scheduled to be available for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system and for the PSŪVita system in summer 2013
Calling it now; the Vita version is going to be a port of the 3DS version. 3DS games do not port well to the Vita, unfortunately. It's not just a matter of failing to tap the hardware's capabilities, but the controls don't map well either. All of the 3DS game ports released so far (admittedly, there are only a few) have been poorly received for that reason.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/lego-batman-2-dc-super-heroes

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 21, 2012, 00:42 ViRGE

Kitkoan wrote on Dec 20, 2012, 23:50:
Seems to happen with every update from Apple...
That's the thing. It doesn't really happen, people just suddenly start using their phone a lot more and suspect something is wrong as a result.

News Comments > THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale
21. Re: THQ Files for Chapter 11; Plans Sale Dec 19, 2012, 16:36 ViRGE

Well crap. I really hope this doesn't mean they start screwing with the dev cycles of the few games they have in production. THQ has a good lineup planned, but if they aren't allowed to incubate then it won't really matter.  

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
51. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 19:29 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 18:35:
People who consider online "features" in a game like this aren't necessarily wrong, but neither are those who dismiss it outright as draconian DRM. The difference is in the perception of what's actually "featured" and how it is delivered. In a vacuum, it would be easier to make the case that Diablo 3's and Simcity 4's online "features" are just that - features. Even then, given the arbitrary and limiting nature of the "features" in question, I'd argue that it would still be a tough sell for a lot us (certainly myself).
Exactly. At this point SimCity V being a server-side game isn't merely DRM, but rather it's a fundamental design decision for how they want to build and deliver the game. It's clearly the wrong decision, but there's a lot more going on here than having a multiplayer component for DRM purposes.

News Comments > Iron Sky: Invasion Demos
5. Re: Iron Sky: Invasion Demos Dec 18, 2012, 18:58 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 17:04:
Moon Nazi's? Give me a break, if they are that clueless when it comes to immagination, can't say much for the game itself.
Clearly you haven't seen the movie. Sad There's no lack of imagination, that's for sure.

News Comments > Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Released
6. Re: Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Released Dec 17, 2012, 18:10 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 17:26:
I might agree with you, if the Xbox 360 controller's D-pad wasn't a piece of shit. The analog stick IS better than that. One of the comparative strengths of the PS3 controller, which doesn't have the luxury of being made standard by daddy Microsoft.
It's a bad D-Pad to be sure; in fact it's mechanically more of an analog stick. But it's still going to be the preferable way to play a 2D platformer, unless you want Mega Man sliding all the time.

News Comments > Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Released
4. Re: Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Released Dec 17, 2012, 17:00 ViRGE

I won't give the game too much crap since it's free, but the fact that it doesn't support the Xbox 360 controller's D-Pad is a massive oversight for a platformer. That's by far the most popular PC controller, and trying to play a 2D platformer on an analog stick is silly.  

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
6. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 14, 2012, 20:33 ViRGE

SirKnight wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 20:01:
I found Rage to be quite fun and enjoyable so I look forward to this DLC. Too bad they could not have expanded on the MP a bit more. What was there was fun, but there just wasn't enough of it. Also some classical MP game modes would have been nice too.

What I really want is the freaking SDK/mod tools already. But they keep pulling the people working on that to other things so it keeps getting pushed back.
I enjoyed RAGE too. But it's hard to get excited at this point. This DLC basically should have come out a year ago.

News Comments > HAWKEN Beta Opens
13. Re: HAWKEN Beta Opens Dec 13, 2012, 19:24 ViRGE

PHJF wrote on Dec 13, 2012, 14:16:

Anyone approaching this as a Mechwarrior style game will be disappointed. It's much closer to the Heavy Gear franchise. The mechs move faster and die faster.

There's nothing wrong with that but, again... you can't just release a deathmatch game in 2012 and call it a day. People expect more than that, or if that's really all there is it had better be the best fucking DM since Q3A.
I'd be perfectly cool with it being just a DM game. But making a F2P/progression game out of a DM game just kills it for me. It's the same dumb thing that Tribes: Ascend did.

News Comments > SimCity Trailer
9. Re: SimCity Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 00:01 ViRGE

No matter how hard I try, I just can't get excited for this game. The server-side nature of it and the small cities are killing my interest. Which is a shame, because I like SimCity and I want to see the latest iteration be successful so that EA doesn't sit on it for another decade.  

News Comments > GeForce Optimizer
14. Re: GeForce Optimizer Dec 11, 2012, 14:28 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 13:18:
I guess I am a 'total nub' because I like this idea. I will try it out and see if it works for me in practice.
Nah, you're not a nub. It really is a good idea. I got into the beta and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I still tweak my settings a bit more (it and I have a disagreement on whether FXAA is a good thing) but it's a great way to get an idea of approximately what my system can handle.

News Comments > Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Next Week
7. Re: Free Street Fighter X Mega Man Next Week Dec 10, 2012, 03:24 ViRGE

Fan made or not, it looks fun.  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Nears
4. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Closed Beta Nears Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 ViRGE

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 00:18:
So is THQ publishing this?
Yes.

News Comments > GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer
35. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 9, 2012, 07:41 ViRGE

Flatline wrote on Dec 9, 2012, 06:41:
Whats interesting is that Flight Sim X is in there. I know there's still a relatively strong community surrounding the MS Flight Sim games. That must have pissed a lot of people off.
The FSX guys can just directly connect to servers (which is why I don't think this issue should be conflated with dedicated servers). Still, they're none the bit pleased about this.

27. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 20:15 ViRGE

Overon wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 19:28:
Another argument for dedicated servers.
This has nothing to do with dedicated servers. It has everything to do with the server browser itself.

17. Re: GameSpy Sale Ends Sniper Elite Multiplayer Dec 8, 2012, 16:04 ViRGE

Dev wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 14:41:
Protip: Use steam and things like this can be avoided. I think GFWL was in existence even back then, so even that piece of crap could have been used and probably gotten a kickback from MS.
Until 5 years ago, Gamespy was where Steam is today when it comes to multiplayer server backend services. Gamespy's master server had extremely high availability, scaled well into the hundreds of thousands of simultaneous clients, and their SDK was simple and easy to integrate into most games. When games like Sniper Elite were made, this was by far the best choice for a 3rd party server browser backend.

Furthermore at the time the idea of Gamespy changing hands was right up there with Gabe selling Valve. It just wasn't on the radar - there was no reason for Gamespy's owners to ever do it as the server backend service always turned a reasonable profit.

Of course in 2012 Gamespy isn't used nearly as much as it was back then. The core technology is sound, but it's archaic; it was designed in the era of Quake, optimized for arena shooter style dedicated servers, complete with heartbeats and people browsing lists of servers to find what they're looking for. It never properly evolved to handle P2P matchmaking (a something foisted on to PC users by console ports), and the lack of ancillary services (chat, etc) only widen the gap. Steamworks has effectively supplanted Gamespy in this day and age due to the combination of services Steam can offer and the vastly superior P2P matchmaking. Or to put that another way, with game companies doing so few native PC games and so many PC ports, these days they wanted a service that closely emulated Live/PSN to ease the porting, and that's something Gamespy couldn't do as well as Steam.

At this point Glu is straight up trying to extort game developers. Before the sale the going rate on something like Sniper Elite would be in the 4 digits; with the common Gamespy API and relatively few users, the load was minimal and Gamespy didn't need to do anything special to support the game. By charging tens of thousands of pounds Glu is trying to maximize their profits and milk everyone dry by charging rates many times the cost of providing the service. If they want tens of thousands of pounds for Snipe Elite, I can only imagine what they're charging EA for the earlier Battlefield games, which are far more active.

In any case, this is a shameful end to the Gamespy service. While it hasn't been relevant for new games for some time, it deserved better than to go out like this, with a vulture gaming company shaking down developers for every last cent they can get.

Dev wrote on Dec 8, 2012, 14:43:
I RTFA and got this:
There will be no disruption in service to GameSpy's current customers and contracts as a result of this acquisition by Glu.

If rebellion has a contract about the service they could probably sue to get it back on, especially since they can show they said publicly it wouldn't change.
The deals developers made with Gamespy depended on the developer, but from what I understand they'd sign a multi-year contract to cover the first couple of years of the game (when it would be the busiest) before reverting to a year-to-year basis. As usage for any given game dwindled, Gamespy kept their rates low, which meant even for a small number of users it was practically pocket change to keep paying Gamespy to continue supporting the game. Most likely Rebellion's 2012 contract has expired, and they are unwilling to pay Glu's rates for the next year. So there would be nothing to sue over; the contract ended and then Glu jacked up the rates immensely.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2012, 20:17.

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
12. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 13:37 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 12:40:
PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:06:
Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.

I like Warhammer fantasy, 40k bores the shit out of me.
Funny. I like 40K, while Fantasy bores the shit out of me.

1223 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo