Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1224 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
23. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 04:00 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:53:
Well it took forever but kudos to id and Bethesda for following through with it. I sincerely hope there are still some modders who will make good use of it, would be really interesting to see what users come up with in that engine.
Agreed. It's very late, but it's better late than never.
Soulburner wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 03:49:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:19:
Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?

John Carmack did say they are using a 300 core renderfarm for that purpose. Remember, you are not dealing with standard textures here, that's gigabytes of data that needs to be uncompressed. No matter how much you might dislike how Rage looks, it's a totally different technology to UE3 or CE3.
Indeed. It has been no secret that idTech 5 requires a ton of baking to produce the runtime assets. I don't think most people realize just how much baking that it until they see it in action though. After all you're basically breaking down every texture to a fixed size JPEG2000 image. JPEG2000 isn't fast to encode for to begin with, though that's in part due to the lack of meaningful work put into optimizing compression speed there.

In any case, developers may have to get used to this. Epic hasn't said a ton about UE4, but there's been some speculation in light of the recent console speculation that it's going in a similar direction (leveraging AMD's virtual texture tech).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming
4. Re: Ubisoft Results: AC3 Sells > 12 Million Units; New AC Coming Feb 7, 2013, 23:08 ViRGE

ExGemini wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 21:12:
I wonder how many more AC will they push out...
Too many. They'll undoubtedly run it into the ground like Call of Duty.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 7, 2013, 14:55 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2013, 13:13:
I think the Wii-U also does the whole "tied to one console" bullshit, right?
Only for downloads. There's no kind of locking on the discs themselves.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
13. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 4, 2013, 14:23 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2013, 14:14:
What we lose when we lose CT is a guy who loves to make games. He doesn't do it for the money, or for the fame, or anything like that. He's doing it for the love. He's also trying to do right by his employees and make sure they're taken care of. I actually wish he was less honorable, b/c he may have been able to pull the KS off if he hadn't shut down the studio in the middle of it.
Indeed. The idea that we're somehow better off with Gas Powered Games going out of business is absurd.

What replaces them? Another Activsion/EA cookie cutter studio that gets assigned a random project/IP with no real stake in it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 4, 2013, 14:19 ViRGE

"Scene.org Demoscene Awards discontinued"

Aww. I always thought they did a great job of picking out the best works of the year. They're going to be missed.

News Comments > Pandora: First Contact Announced
1. Re: Pandora: First Contact Announced Jan 31, 2013, 20:07 ViRGE

What the heck is with naming every planet Pandora lately? They couldn't think of something else even a little more unique?  

News Comments > EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a "Rest"
28. Re: EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a Jan 31, 2013, 14:41 ViRGE

TheDevilYouKnow wrote on Jan 31, 2013, 08:48:
"Despite a challenging quarter, we were able to deliver non-GAAP EPS at the high end of our guidance range," said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello. "We are investing for the future wave of growth that we foresee in digital and console."

What does that mean? They do not even speak the same language as gamers. They are completely out of touch with the folks who buy their products. If they went under I wouldn't shed a tear, although it makes me sad that so many of their titles are re-hashed garbage and everyone still continues to buy it. Vote with your dollar folks - It'd better to keep on playing a great old game than to waste your hard earned money on re-packaged tripe.
Not to belittle you, but is "digital and console" really that hard to grok? EA is hedging their bets that those two areas will see significant sales growth.

News Comments > EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a "Rest"
8. Re: EA Financials - Medal of Honor Getting a "Rest" Jan 30, 2013, 21:50 ViRGE

I'm bemused how they're treating game titles as something akin to a prized race horse, as if it somehow needs to rest up between races.  

News Comments > Junction Point Studios Closed
15. Re: Junction Point Studios Closed Jan 29, 2013, 14:52 ViRGE

avianflu wrote on Jan 29, 2013, 13:51:

The disconcerting part is that it only takes one poorly performing game and a studio is completely axed.
It could be a well performing game and they still could get axed. Closing studios keeps costs down by avoiding the need to give employees raises, COLAs, additional time off, and other perks. Now Disney will start a new studio and hire many of these guys back at their old wages, but without needing to offer them any perks.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Open Beta Begins; Tutorial Video
2. Re: Crysis 3 Open Beta Begins; Tutorial Video Jan 29, 2013, 10:44 ViRGE

Did anyone seriously play C2 or C1 multiplayer? When I think Crysis, I think single-player game.  

News Comments > Crytek Opens Austin Studio With Vigil Staff
2. Re: Crytek Opens Austin Studio With Vigil Staff Jan 28, 2013, 20:26 ViRGE

Where the heck does Crytek get all of this money? Crysis 2 sold well, but not that well.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
17. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 28, 2013, 03:10 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:39:
FOV is not an artistic decision, unless you're doing mech or something. Otherwise its a biological necessity. FOV is tied to distance from the screen and how your brain expects images to appear. NOT artistic
It's an artistic decision if you want to go for suspense. Tight FOVs are a staple of the horror genre, and for good reason: preventing the players from seeing more than a sliver of the word at once builds tension and makes it easy to surprise the player.

Not that I'm saying this is what Bioshock is going for; only that there are good, non-technical reasons for a fixed, narrow FOV.

News Comments > New Wildman Video; Tiers
11. Re: New Wildman Video; Tiers Jan 28, 2013, 03:04 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:32:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:15:
This one isn't going to make it

It'll be a tight one at best - what % of a Kickstarter's funds typically come in the last couple of days?
It depends on the game. Sometimes you get something like Star Citizen that becomes a complete blow-out. But for most games that make it, it seems like 25% of the project goal is the best they can hope for in the final couple of days.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Q&A
3. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Q&A Jan 27, 2013, 16:23 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2013, 16:19:
Q: What are your plans for widescreen in BioShock Infinite?

Chris Kline: Weve done a lot of work for BioShock Infinite to support a wide range of display setups and resolutions, so Im confident youll have a great full-screen play experience when it is released.

more 65 degree FOV I'm guessing, someone will probably release a tool to set it higher but why can't they just add this to games ported to the PC.
Because 65 degrees is intentional? I don't know why everyone assumes it's a technical limitation when it's sometimes done for artistic reasons.

News Comments > On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4
1. Re: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 Jan 26, 2013, 17:46 ViRGE

I loved the first two games, but I never could get into the 3rd. The shift to a 16 bit RPG after being a nice, casual 3D RPG was just too jarring. Chrono Trigger may have been a great 16 bit RPG, but not all of us liked Chrono Trigger.  

News Comments > THQ Sale Results?
33. Re: THQ Sale Results? Jan 23, 2013, 18:28 ViRGE

I can't believe Sega paid 26mil for Relic. That strikes me as obscene.  

News Comments > Chris Taylor on Wildman
8. Re: Chris Taylor on Wildman Jan 19, 2013, 20:46 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 19, 2013, 18:20:
Did he not see this coming before tossing up the KS? Was this really the best time for it?

From what I understand, up until now the staff had been working on the prototype. Had they started the KS any earlier the prototype would not be presentable, which would have made it difficult to raise funds in the first place.

This whole thing is a hail mary. The layoffs weren't sudden and unexpected, but rather planned (to some degree) based on how long they needed to develop the prototype versus how much cash they had left.

News Comments > Wildman Footage
10. Re: Wildman Footage Jan 18, 2013, 20:16 ViRGE

Wildone wrote on Jan 18, 2013, 19:57:
yea, GPG is no more...
At first I thought this was a troll. Then I saw the news. They aren't closed (yet), but they now have very little staff to speak of.

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
24. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 20:42 ViRGE

bhcompy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:32:
Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.
The Arkham games were never really part of the DCAU, even if they did reuse the VAs. Certain aspects of the game just don't align, as it was never meant to.

News Comments > Batman and Arkham Domains
1. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 10:05 ViRGE

I don't like where this is going...  

1224 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo