Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1223 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
26. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 05:44 ViRGE

mag wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 21:41:
As for the server being required to play the game, he tells them SimCity does no significant game simulation on the server side:

I was pretty skeptical of that claim. It would be absolutely ridiculous for them to take on that amount of processing power themselves. Extremely expensive.
You have to differentiate between the city sim and the region sim. It's clear the city sim (the most CPU intensive part of this) is taking place on the client. However the region sim is currently taking place on the server, which is consistent with what EA has said before. This is what allows them to do the kind of drop-in/drop-out multiplayer that the game uses.

Ultimately with enough time and enough effort all of that could be moved offline, but the mere idea of a regional sim has been made a core component of the game (the endgame is effectively managing several cities). So merely running the city sim on its own is not especially useful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 20:56 ViRGE

dj LiTh wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 20:35:
Funny, as my upgrade from 2 years ago already will beat it by their current specs.
Sure, if you have a discrete video card. But the vast majority of computers don't have that, and rely solely on the iGPU. Unfortunately it will be years before AMD and Intel's iGPUs catch up to the PS4's GPU.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month?
11. Re: Battlefield 4 Reveal This Month? Mar 9, 2013, 00:08 ViRGE

siapnar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:33:
It's fucking stupid that they're releasing this so soon. BF3 has long legs.

Why not another IP?
They tried another IP. Medal of Honor flopped hard, twice.

News Comments > SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand
39. Re: SimCity Pares Down Features to Meet Demand Mar 8, 2013, 00:02 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:36:
EkimDeLhi wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 23:22:
Starting to realize... this could be a really good thing. I'm not one to hope for other people's failure, but this chabacle may actually bring mainstream attention to this problem. This has got to be pissing a LOT of ppl off.

Doesn't matter. If Sim City preorder/launch sales break even or generate any profit you will only see more bullshit like this. If the game is a loss for EA you will never see another Sim City again.
Heads I win, tails you lose.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Delayed
1. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Delayed Mar 6, 2013, 21:14 ViRGE

Unfortunate, but not unexpected with the acquisition. On the positive side this means Sega is giving it the development time it needs rather than shoving it out the door to quickly recoup their money.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2013, 20:43 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Mar 1, 2013, 19:50:
Eh, his main point is correct even if his presentation needs some work. I don't think he intended to communicate anything along the lines of "the vocal minority has no rights because they are the minority", I think the point was more along the lines of "if there are people willing to spend the money...there are people willing to take it."
Agreed. EA will do whatever is most profitable, so if gamers don't want microtransactions then they need to stop buying them. Yelling at EA while at the same time buying DLC and other microtransactions does nothing but validate EA's models.

News Comments > Star Wars: 1313 on Hold?
11. Re: Star Wars: 1313 on Hold? Mar 1, 2013, 03:55 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 21:44:
There's a huge audience waiting to buy updated versions of X-Wing and Tie Fighter.
No. There's a small, vocal audience wanting to buy updated versions of X-Wing. Meanwhile there's a large audience waiting to buy Star Wars CoD, Star Wars Halo, or Star Wars The Force Unleashed 3.

Star Wars doesn't get to skip the fact that any kind of successful game needs to include consoles, and only certain genres are currently selling on consoles. Space sims are not among those.

News Comments > EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers
36. Re: EVE Online Boasts 500K Subscribers Feb 28, 2013, 17:03 ViRGE

GayBlade wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 08:52:
I really do love playing EVE, but I do not play anymore due to the $14.99 subscription model.

As the MMO industry has evolved away from charging subscriptions, I too have evolved in not wanting to pay for one.

If CCP would move to a free to play model, I would be back in a heartbeat.
If they did that, CCP would have to give up their current development model of giving everyone free upgrades, which is a huge part of how the current universe operates. Basing future development off of subscription revenue means that CCP can work on whatever they think will improve the game, be it refactoring code or introducing new ships.

An expansion pack model not only fractures the community (it would be very difficult to try to separate old and new content in a game without levels or zones), but it effectively locks CCP into having to deliver major new content additions every time.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Revolution
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Revolution Feb 28, 2013, 16:50 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 16:43:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2013, 16:33:
LOLZ@n00b ... Firefox + AdBlock Plus = Problem solved

Man, wouldn't it be great if everyone did this! Blue would have such great revenue!
Blue's is one of the sites I specifically disable ABP on for exactly that reason. It's not just about impeding him from making money, it's about the fact that loading the site without loading ads costs him money.

News Comments > EA All-in on Microtransactions
44. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 21:59 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 15:07:
Stop it? We encouraged this shit. Cost of developing game goes up, willingness of gamers to pay full retail price for game goes down. Logical conclusion is that businesses must go outside the "retail box gets you everything" business model to make their balance sheets add up.

We short-sighted fucks would apparently rather pay for a $50 box and $50 more in DLC over a year than pay less than $100 up front and get everything. Go figure.
Sad, but probably true.

News Comments > EA All-in on Microtransactions
36. Re: EA All-in on Microtransactions Feb 27, 2013, 14:19 ViRGE

deqer wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 12:12:
How do we stop this new generation of dumb ass kids and parents from supporting this shit? How do we stop kids/parents from sinking money into this type of shit?

Anyone? Anyone know how?

We can't. We'd have to somehow make it so that buying power didn't work out for them.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2013 Dates Announced
10. Re: QuakeCon 2013 Dates Announced Feb 26, 2013, 22:53 ViRGE

Rea1One wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 18:41:
Hopefully Doom 4 is shown
I'd think they would have to show D4. What else is there to show?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2013, 23:58 ViRGE

I don't know. I think we could see $70 for top-tier titles. The increase in hardware capabilities will drive up the cost of game development, and in the meantime the small user base of a recently launched console means there are fewer units over which to spread costs. Not that I want to pay $70, but it's not unrealistic, or even all that unreasonable.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks
7. Re: BioShock Infinite Steam Pre-purchase Unlocks Feb 22, 2013, 19:54 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Feb 22, 2013, 18:05:
I really despise this new "gaming" of pre-order perks.
Agreed.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Shown
36. Re: Battlefield 4 Shown Feb 20, 2013, 16:36 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 09:19:
SXO wrote on Feb 20, 2013, 08:41:
I am immune to the hype machine. As far as I'm concerned, a true successor to BF2/2142 has yet to be released. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed BF3, but it felt like a hybrid of the series that leaned more towards Bad Company 2.

Yeah I'd really like to see something along the lines of BF2142 but the success of BF3 + Grinder maps with the pointwhores average folk means that will likely just see another iteration like it.
That's pretty easy to solve though. Just get rid of the RPGization of Battlefield. If it were a game of pure skill and not skill + gear, point whoring would lose a lot of its appeal.

News Comments > Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition
11. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 02:23 ViRGE

Finally!

You now have my attention, Hi-Rez.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
11. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 23:22 ViRGE

mag wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:39:
? If nothing is impacted, then why fire 25 people? Might as well have said nothing. My ASSUMPTION is that the mobile and hardware sections aren't doing as projected and they cut a lot of fat from those projects.....

Maybe 25 people are fired exactly because nothing is impacted. They were unnecessary. Superfluous. Excess.
If things are good, then your business is growing and you need more people. Which means if any individual position is necessary, you will typically cross-train them for where you do need them. Booming businesses don't have superfluous people.

News Comments > More Valve Layoffs
4. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:42 ViRGE

I appreciate Valve's right to privacy in this matter, but I can't help but wonder. Valve has never had a large layoff like this before; and if Gamasutra is right, it's apparently not across any single division. Valve should be rolling in money, so either their finances aren't as strong as we think, or something is afoot.

You don't mass fire people when things are good.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
32. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 20:10 ViRGE

Narf2029 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 17:42:
DEMOS KILL SALES: A demo of a shitty game lets people know it's shitty before they buy. Thus, less sales. Next!
Am I the only one that sees this slightly differently? That this isn't about game quality?

Demos don't kill the sales of games based on their quality, but rather based on their hype. If you throw an 8 digit marketing campaign behind a game, you're going to build up a ton of hype for that game. People are going to be talking about your game, theorizing about your game, wanting your game. The entire point of marketing is to create demand for a product; to convince consumers that they absolutely must buy your game.

To that end, releasing a demo is shooting yourself in a foot. You've spent all this money creating demand, so the last thing you want to do is to give consumers a way to satiate their demand for free. If there's a demo, some portion of the consumer base is going to have their product lust satisfied. Conversely withholding a demo means that the only way they can satisfy that lust is to buy the game.

When purchasing decisions are based on emotions and irrationality, demos are your enemy. Demos are for people making rational decisions, which is not what heavily hyped AAA games are going for.

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
23. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 04:00 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 20:53:
Well it took forever but kudos to id and Bethesda for following through with it. I sincerely hope there are still some modders who will make good use of it, would be really interesting to see what users come up with in that engine.
Agreed. It's very late, but it's better late than never.
Soulburner wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 03:49:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 8, 2013, 21:19:
Reading the pdf and there's some hilarious tidbits about how non-functional this editor is. First, the install is up to 45GB. Ok, I have a 1TB HD and can give that one a pass. But then loading a map takes upwards of 60 minutes. Loading simple assets takes 30 minutes. Smaller maps take 30-40 minutes. Who is going to put up with such long and numerous load times to mod a game so few are playing?

John Carmack did say they are using a 300 core renderfarm for that purpose. Remember, you are not dealing with standard textures here, that's gigabytes of data that needs to be uncompressed. No matter how much you might dislike how Rage looks, it's a totally different technology to UE3 or CE3.
Indeed. It has been no secret that idTech 5 requires a ton of baking to produce the runtime assets. I don't think most people realize just how much baking that it until they see it in action though. After all you're basically breaking down every texture to a fixed size JPEG2000 image. JPEG2000 isn't fast to encode for to begin with, though that's in part due to the lack of meaningful work put into optimizing compression speed there.

In any case, developers may have to get used to this. Epic hasn't said a ton about UE4, but there's been some speculation in light of the recent console speculation that it's going in a similar direction (leveraging AMD's virtual texture tech).

1223 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo