Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1355 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:08 ViRGE

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.
Aye.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 00:07 ViRGE

Removing set bonuses is a start. Now if they'd just remove everything else other than the stock weapons and the game would be restored to its proper glory.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Campaign Soars
8. Re: Star Citizen Campaign Soars Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 ViRGE

John wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 11:24:
Wow, where do they keep getting money from?? I backed this on KS but I'm surprised they are still making millions without any kind of advertising that I know of. I just hope they use some of that money to improve/expand the SP portion of the game.
Squadron 42 has already been "locked in" as it were since the bulk of the early goals were for SP as opposed to MP. 50 missions, a full orchestral score, and celebrity voice acting (they're bringing back one of the WC favorites; dollars to donuts says Hamill). There's even a further 16 mission expansion campaign planned, which all of the original backers will get for free.

At this point all additional funding (besides offsetting the need to take private money) is technically for further enhancing Star Citizen. Though sharable assets such as additional mo-cap and new ships become available for S42 should they choose to use them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
37. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 05:16 ViRGE

loomy wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 05:02:
there is no game yet right? if you are irritated by watching the development process, you should not watch it
Indeed. It's only 7 months into what's expected to be a 24 month production process for Squadron 42, and longer yet for the complete Star Citizen. It's still early. There won't be much to show until the dogfighting module is near completion.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 12:58 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

News Comments > Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD
20. Re: Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD Jul 5, 2013, 19:35 ViRGE

Frijoles wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 13:41:
I also enjoyed Rage. Way too short though. And I could do without the driving fluff. Just give me some maps to crawl through with lots of atmosphere.
Agreed. If they had ditched the driving sections and given it a better final act, I think it would have done very well for itself.

News Comments > Unannounced Epic Game Revealed
11. Re: Unannounced Epic Game Revealed Jul 5, 2013, 19:18 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 18:14:
Does anybody honestly care about what Epic does outside of their tech development? As far as I know none of the original team are still there. And Fortnite looks like shit.
I do. They're still one of the better game development houses.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
30. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 03:12 ViRGE

At least this is more a matter of scope/feature creep than it is just outright going over budget on a fixed scope. The outcome still isn't great - having to sell a game early is a bit troubling regardless of everything else - but at least backers are getting more bang for their buck than was originally planned.

Still, it's a sign that Double Fine needs to bring in a strong project manager to keep their projects on task. This kind of directionless scope creep should never have happened.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 18:11 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:34:
El Pit wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 12:48:
Install Windows 8, download and install classic menu, and you got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win8 is rock stable.

Install Windows 7, and you've got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win7 is rock stable.
Sadly it lacks native USB 3.0 support, coalescing clock timers, advanced GPU error recovery, and eDrive support (for self-encrypting SSDs), among other things.

Not that Win7 is a bad OS, but it's coming up on 4 years old now. It's no longer a spring chicken. New technologies come out and it gets slowly outdated. For equally old machines that's fine, but sticking with Win7 on a Haswell Ultrabook for example would be absurd.

News Comments > Total War: ROME II Specs & Panorama
8. Re: Total War: ROME II Specs & Panorama Jun 29, 2013, 00:51 ViRGE

Wow. That's an impressive screenshot.

It's not just incredibly big, but when you zoom in to 1:1 everything looks great for an RTS game of this scale. Hats off to CA; they seem to be on top of their game right now.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
17. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 29, 2013, 00:00 ViRGE

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 22:37:
My biggest puzzler with these kick-starter games, especially niche markets, this is...

OK, you get your startup/production money from the customers instead of some investment by PublisherX. That's cool, then all of the profits are yours and you don't have a publisher telling you what you should be doing and changing your vision.

But... just about everyone that donates gets a copy of the game. So you get your building costs but you lose a sale.

In this case: he has a LOT of donaters. So... once he's done and releases it, how many potential customers will be left?
So that's a very good question. And the answer is that no one really knows.

I forget the precise numbers, but based on previous successful kickstarters, the percentage of sales that comes from crowd funding/pre-orders depends on how well the final game is received. For something that receives rave reviews like FLT, that percentage may be as low as 10%, meaning 9x as many copies will be sold after the fact. For a less well received game that percentage may be 40-50%, which still means more than half of all sales come after the game is released.

The point being that based on previous games, even the pessimistic projection would have RSI doubling their sales. In other words, he would still have a lot of customers left. Of course no one has attempted a crowd funding attempt on this scale - or leaving the pre-order window open this long - so experience from other games may not fully apply here. Whether it's better or worse than those experiences remains to be seen.

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
14. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 23:49 ViRGE

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:46:
I thought he had all the private funding he needed?
At this point he's essentially trying to replace private funding with crowd funding. The turnout from his crowd funding efforts have blown past all of his projections; when he started he thought he'd have to get the majority of the necessary $21M from private funding - raising a few mil at best from the public - but he's now half-funded from crowd funding (pre-sales) in under a year.

So these latest efforts are further attempts to continue to promote the game to land the last 10mil(ish) in crowd funding that would be necessary to complete the game. If he can raise the full $21M in this manner, then he wouldn't need to turn to private funding at all, allowing the profits to be funneled into the team, the project, and future projects. Otherwise if he comes up short he can always tap private funding, but of course they'll then want a share in the revenue. Put another way, this is a shot at cutting out the middleman entirely.

News Comments > Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two
10. Re: Game Demos vs. Sales, Part Two Jun 28, 2013, 11:03 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:28:
Following his logic games like Duke Nukem Forever or Aliens Colonial Marine should sell twice as many copies as Bioshock 1.
Not quite. His logic would be that Bioshock 1 would have sold twice as many copies if there wasn't a demo. You can't really prove this after the fact, but it goes without saying that there are a lot of stupid people out there that will buy a game if they can't try it for free.

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds
17. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 10:59 ViRGE

but one of these days an announcement will actually come, right?
If Valve doesn't want to make HL3, then they won't make HL3. It could very well never arrive, as Valve is going to do whatever they find interesting/profitable.

Their success with Steam ensures that they never have to actually finish anything if they don't want to. Which puts them in the literary equivalent of getting half-way through a project and realizing you did all the fun stuff, and all that's left is the hard work (an all too common problem for nerds).

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
15. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 21:04 ViRGE

Warskull wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 13:15:
El Pit wrote on Jun 27, 2013, 11:41:
Wow! You guys know Atlus? When I read the headline, I was like "WHO?" Seems they release JRPGs, and that's why I don't know them. So, I hope for the fans of JRPGs that they can be "rehabilitated".

Atlus does JRPGs, but they aren't just JRPGs. They create and translate quirky Japanese games. Their games tend to be very unique. It can be nice to play something different from time to time, hence why losing Atlus would suck. They are the company willing to take risks on things no one else would. As mentioned they brought Demon's Souls to countries outside of Japan when no one else thought it could succeed.
They're also the publisher for the Trauma Center games, Catherine, and the forthcoming Dragon's Crown.

News Comments > Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges
3. Re: Atlus Parent Files for Bankruptcy; Faces Fraud Charges Jun 27, 2013, 10:12 ViRGE

Aww crap.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 ViRGE

I have to agree with Beamer here. What's being presented is a non-issue.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
12. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 27, 2013, 00:22 ViRGE

1badmf wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 14:19:
Rattlehead wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 12:58:
She definitely is my favorite female actor and she conveys alot more depth than other popular actors like Stephen Blum

really? i thought blum was perfect with his understated approach to Spike in cowboy bebop. also samurai champloo.
IMHO, the only logical thing to do is to pair Blum and Hale together.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep Jun 25, 2013, 12:10 ViRGE

Damn, that's a good trailer.  

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins
19. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 00:54 ViRGE

wallace321 wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:57:
"Unnecessarily" if you didn't want to play it any more, I guess. The servers were shut down.
Exactly. It was Steamworks or nothing for CoH1. For CoH2 I'm not sure they really have a choice either; what else would you even use these days? Origin?

Anyhow, my patch-weary bones are glad that this is being launched on a service that will take care of all of this automatically. The heavy DLC is odd, but since it's skins I can't really complain.

1355 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo