Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1223 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2013, 19:12 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 18:55:
So people have EVERY opportunity to tell EA to fuck off, yet they choose not to. Which is why the "Worst Company in America" label is some bullshit.
Exactly. Every time EA wins this I just bury my face in my hands.

Are they a terrible company? Absolutely!

But the worst company in America? Not by a long shot. This is a case of The Consumerist's readers having unrealistic priorities.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX on Tomb Raider Shortfall
39. Re: SQUARE ENIX on Tomb Raider Shortfall Apr 9, 2013, 18:24 ViRGE

News like this makes my gut turn. On the one hand this is SE's own doing. On the other hand I don't want to see them pushed into a financial corner and hop on the derivative "dudebro" train to get out of it. Or heaven forbid stop using Steamworks.  

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Preorders
5. Re: Poker Night 2 Preorders Apr 9, 2013, 17:55 ViRGE

Oh good, they kept the price at $5. It's good for about 5 hours entertainment, so that's a reasonable deal.  

News Comments > Grimlands Kickstarter
15. Re: Grimlands Kickstarter Apr 8, 2013, 16:49 ViRGE

Backing an MMO? Yeah, because that's going to end well.  

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
23. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 17:02 ViRGE

Well crap. I lost my copy of NOLF 2 long ago. I'd love to rebuy it and NOLF 1 had I been given the chance.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; "Subtly" Teases Horses
7. Re: Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; Apr 5, 2013, 12:09 ViRGE

Minecraft is really starting to feel like this decade's Myst. It's conceptually simple (what was Myst but a slideshow), but the package as a whole and the gameplay is unlike anything that has come before it. It really is the game every PC owner needs to have.

Now I'm curious to see if it has the legs to become the best selling PC game of all time. The Sims 2 is estimated to have sold 20mil copies (though I suspect EA is inflating that number). At this rate Minecraft is only half-way there, but it's been selling at a surprisingly consistent rate for the last couple of years now. On the other hand another 2mil copies and they'll pass everything that isn't The Sims.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:19 ViRGE

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:07:
I wonder how Sony is going to protect this Kernel and OS from being JailBroken and hacked to pieces to play all media content once again.
By not being stupid, I imagine. It was their screw-up with their initial implementation of ECDSA that led to this problem in the first place, after all. The PS3 as implemented is still secure after you throw out the systems with the hardcoded compromised key. Meanwhile with the PS4 Sony gets to start with a clean slate, as the bad keys don't affect them.

Of course they probably will implement a new security system just because (probably something similar to the Vita's), but from a security perspective their fixed ECDSA implementation for the PS3 is more than good enough. The underlying architecture won't change that.

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Confirmed
1. Re: Poker Night 2 Confirmed Apr 3, 2013, 09:07 ViRGE

Half of me wonders what Brock Sampson is doing in a video game. Then the other half of me slaps the first half for even caring, since it's Patrick Warburton being a badass. Between those characters the one-liners are going to be a riot.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:04 ViRGE

Epic seems to have thought that about the previous gen as well, no?
No.

Epic always gets excited when new, more powerful systems come out; they make their money selling game engines, after all. But the PC comparison is quite new. Compared to the previous generation of consoles that used weird PPC CPUs and in the case of the 360 a GPU unlike anything else, the PS4 is essentially a highly tuned PC running a custom software stack.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC and Patch Released
4. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC and Patch Released Apr 3, 2013, 01:12 ViRGE

StreetPreacher wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 00:48:
I've gotta be honest - I'm not real thrilled as a Season Pass holder. 11 more XP levels and some more guns? Meh. This is nowhere near the "new content" of an expansion the likes of Scarlett, Torgue, or Hammerlock. I feel kinda cheated as I would've certainly passed given the the option of buying it individually.

I mean, could you imagine the outcry if BF3 released DLC that just let you become a Lvl 120 Colonel and added a couple extra guns? It's "Downloadable," but is it "Content?"
But this isn't the 4th campaign DLC. That doesn't come until June.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Defiance Reveal Tomorrow
3. Re: Deus Ex: Human Defiance Reveal Tomorrow Mar 31, 2013, 15:50 ViRGE

nin wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 15:37:
Legal Disclaimer: Tomorrow is April 1st.

Aww hell.

I'll be in hibernation until April 3rd then (because someone always has to be a smartass and run their unfunny "joke" on the 2nd).

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry in May
2. Re: Leisure Suit Larry in May Mar 28, 2013, 22:06 ViRGE

If you change the puzzles, then is it really LSL1?  

News Comments > Total War: ARENA Announced
2. Re: Total War: ARENA Announced Mar 28, 2013, 21:11 ViRGE

Well they're also working on a proper Total War game, so I suppose I can't give them too much crap. But a F2P MOBA-like Total War isn't inspiring confidence in me.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 24, 2013, 21:58 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 24, 2013, 19:22:
Is it bad that you already know all the words.. *coughs*

But seriously, why couldn't Capcom remaster all the classic Mega Man games instead?
They tried. The remasters (Maverick Hunter X and Mega Man Powered Up) flopped.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 22, 2013, 03:51 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2013, 21:27:
Mmm Harely is teh hawtness!
She gets skimpier and skimpier in every game. In this case I don't consider that a good thing.

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition?
9. Re: Mortal Kombat Game of the Year PC Edition? Mar 17, 2013, 17:52 ViRGE

JohnBirshire wrote on Mar 17, 2013, 14:39:
What's with these games that weren't even in most people's Top 25 list being called "Game of the Year"?
GOTY is now commonly used and commonly recognized as the flag indicating that it's a re-release, specifically one containing any expansion packs, add-ons, and DLC that was released between the initial release of the game and the release of the GOTY version.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
114. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 18:17 ViRGE

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 18:09:
You all wanted a patch. You got your patch. We patched out the ability to access the debug mode and play it single-player!

Yeah, stolen from Reddit.
EA just keeps on telling lies.
Ashamed at how mad Cliffy B. is at us for not giving EA even more money,
Ray
That's not surprising. The moment someone found that it was going to be obvious that EA was going to take it out.

News Comments > Minecraft Optional Subscription Mode Plans
6. Re: lol Mar 14, 2013, 11:57 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:40:
I don't think them offering server hosting is really greedy. It's hard to find a reliable server host for Minecraft at a reasonable price, and even harder to find an existing server that isn't filled with nightmarish douchebags. Especially for the younger players they seem to be trying to cater to here.
Agreed. I'm not sure why anyone would think adding 1st party server hosting to the existing 3rd party hosts is a bad thing.

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
84. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 22:10 ViRGE

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 17:54:
So at the end of the day, it doesn't change the basic problem - there isn't a lot of CPU/RAM to go around per player at any given point. The server nodes in a cluster model here would have to be cost effective at some fraction (after the re-seller cut, EA cut, the Maxis cut, etc) of a single $60 per player purchase.
Correct. SimCity isn't a game with a recurring subscription (or any significant microtransactions) so on the server side it clearly can't require too much in the way of resources, as EA wouldn't be bringing in money on a regular basis for frequent server upgrades and maintenance. So your basic supposition is correct. All I'm really saying is that it's not so lightweight that it's 100K people spread over 23 CPUs. It has to be at least a bit heavier weight than that.

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
79. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 16:52 ViRGE

JohnnyRotten wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:16:
The region processing cannot be very CPU and/or RAM intensive at all. How could it be? 23 servers CPU's and RAM for tens of thousands (at least) of players at once. The amount of CPU/RAM slice per player must be very thin indeed for this to work at all.
You're being too literal. A "server" in this case would be a server cluster composed of an unknown number of nodes. There's at least one beefy machine doing all of the database work, they may have a proxy layer, nodes doing the regional simulation, etc. We have no way of knowing precisely how many individual drive a server cluster, but I'd expect there to be a lot of them handling the regional sim.

1223 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo