Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1234 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Partners to Close?
13. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:22:
Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:19:
No surprise here, EAs future plans seem to be doubling down on internal projects and microtransactions. Shame, Partners had some very creative stuff released but ultimately EA is more focused on things they can iterate on every year, their entire business is structured around it now.

I'd call it a huge surprise.
Agreed, though for different reasons. The Partners label was easy money; EA does publishing work for-hire (on contract) and that's it. It's not a traditional investor-publisher relationship where they're investing money into games and then losing it on underperforming sales. As long as EA publishes partner games they make money.

So why they would be shutting down Partners is beyond me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
11. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:52 ViRGE

Gearbox, huh? I can't say I was expecting that. But at least they're going to ensure the first two games get properly redistributed.  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
10. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:19 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:13:
So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?
Who would even pay more than $50K for Homeworld? Sure it was an interesting series, but having been dead for a decade there's not much value to it right now.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams
7. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 13:22 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 11:44:
and a setting that pretends that all games after Monkey Island 2 do not exist

Ron Gilbert to Telltale Games: Fuck you.

Which is weird, because the Telltale Monkey Island series was pretty fun.

Creston
My thoughts exactly. That's just being harsh to TTG, and more than a bit odd since Gilbert worked on that game.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage
19. Re: Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage Apr 16, 2013, 20:49 ViRGE

Wow. They have my attention.  

News Comments > Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced
1. Re: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced Apr 15, 2013, 20:08 ViRGE

Mickey is back and he looks fantastic.
I wouldn't know. The trailer is completely pre-rendered.

News Comments > EA Ending Three Social Games
10. Re: EA Ending Three Social Games Apr 15, 2013, 10:29 ViRGE

wtf_man wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 10:17:
Well... if they are only being paid per ad hit... like YouTube pays a couple bucks per 1000 video hits... then probably there needs to be huge activity before the game can generate a profit. So once activity drops below a certain threshold, it probably starts losing money as EA has to pay whomever maintains the code, etc.

I don't know how the model works, nor how Facebook pays for the games.
The above was just a guess on my part.
...not that I really care about Facebook, social games, nor EA.
It's a correct guess. These games are supported through ads and whales (the dumb people that spend hundreds of dollars). Even with the two the average per-user take is very low due to the fact that ads pay poorly and whales are a tiny percentage. So if your user count drops below enormous levels, you can quickly reach a point where minimal dev costs and service costs outstrip your income. This is especially bad if you disproportionally lose your whales, leaving behind a bunch of people essentially playing for free.

News Comments > Free Hyperspace Pinball
1. Re: Free Hyperspace Pinball Apr 12, 2013, 07:20 ViRGE

This is the first I've heard of Desura. So it's yet another Steam clone? Pass.

I like free games (and pinball too!), but I'm not going to install yet another digital distribution client for it.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Footage
12. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Footage Apr 11, 2013, 05:53 ViRGE

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 05:20:
Texture quality and voice acting is bit on the meh side.
Okay, so I'm not the only one that noticed that? The character models look rough for 2013; both the texture resolution and the poly count seem unusually low.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - ShootMania: Storm
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - ShootMania: Storm Apr 10, 2013, 17:52 ViRGE

Has anyone actually tried ShootMania yet? Based on their previous games I think it looks interesting, but I'd like to hear from someone that has actually played it.  

News Comments > EA "Wins" Consumerist Poll Again
8. Re: EA Apr 9, 2013, 21:31 ViRGE

Saboth, I agree that this is consumer issues. But how is this the worst company in America? Worse than Verizon, who can't get their billing system right and is literally costing people money? Worse than United who crams people into tiny seats and if you're lucky doesn't leave you on the runway for hours when things get bad?

A video game company simply cannot be the worst company in America; they can't harm anyone. Not when there are other consumer-focused companies out there that are actually causing harm.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2013, 19:12 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Apr 9, 2013, 18:55:
So people have EVERY opportunity to tell EA to fuck off, yet they choose not to. Which is why the "Worst Company in America" label is some bullshit.
Exactly. Every time EA wins this I just bury my face in my hands.

Are they a terrible company? Absolutely!

But the worst company in America? Not by a long shot. This is a case of The Consumerist's readers having unrealistic priorities.

News Comments > SQUARE ENIX on Tomb Raider Shortfall
39. Re: SQUARE ENIX on Tomb Raider Shortfall Apr 9, 2013, 18:24 ViRGE

News like this makes my gut turn. On the one hand this is SE's own doing. On the other hand I don't want to see them pushed into a financial corner and hop on the derivative "dudebro" train to get out of it. Or heaven forbid stop using Steamworks.  

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Preorders
5. Re: Poker Night 2 Preorders Apr 9, 2013, 17:55 ViRGE

Oh good, they kept the price at $5. It's good for about 5 hours entertainment, so that's a reasonable deal.  

News Comments > Grimlands Kickstarter
15. Re: Grimlands Kickstarter Apr 8, 2013, 16:49 ViRGE

Backing an MMO? Yeah, because that's going to end well.  

News Comments > No One Knows Who Owns NOLF
23. Re: No One Knows Who Owns NOLF Apr 6, 2013, 17:02 ViRGE

Well crap. I lost my copy of NOLF 2 long ago. I'd love to rebuy it and NOLF 1 had I been given the chance.  

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; "Subtly" Teases Horses
7. Re: Minecraft PC Sells $10MM; Apr 5, 2013, 12:09 ViRGE

Minecraft is really starting to feel like this decade's Myst. It's conceptually simple (what was Myst but a slideshow), but the package as a whole and the gameplay is unlike anything that has come before it. It really is the game every PC owner needs to have.

Now I'm curious to see if it has the legs to become the best selling PC game of all time. The Sims 2 is estimated to have sold 20mil copies (though I suspect EA is inflating that number). At this rate Minecraft is only half-way there, but it's been selling at a surprisingly consistent rate for the last couple of years now. On the other hand another 2mil copies and they'll pass everything that isn't The Sims.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:19 ViRGE

Optional nickname wrote on Apr 3, 2013, 09:07:
I wonder how Sony is going to protect this Kernel and OS from being JailBroken and hacked to pieces to play all media content once again.
By not being stupid, I imagine. It was their screw-up with their initial implementation of ECDSA that led to this problem in the first place, after all. The PS3 as implemented is still secure after you throw out the systems with the hardcoded compromised key. Meanwhile with the PS4 Sony gets to start with a clean slate, as the bad keys don't affect them.

Of course they probably will implement a new security system just because (probably something similar to the Vita's), but from a security perspective their fixed ECDSA implementation for the PS3 is more than good enough. The underlying architecture won't change that.

News Comments > Poker Night 2 Confirmed
1. Re: Poker Night 2 Confirmed Apr 3, 2013, 09:07 ViRGE

Half of me wonders what Brock Sampson is doing in a video game. Then the other half of me slaps the first half for even caring, since it's Patrick Warburton being a badass. Between those characters the one-liners are going to be a riot.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Evening Q&As Apr 3, 2013, 09:04 ViRGE

Epic seems to have thought that about the previous gen as well, no?
No.

Epic always gets excited when new, more powerful systems come out; they make their money selling game engines, after all. But the PC comparison is quite new. Compared to the previous generation of consoles that used weird PPC CPUs and in the case of the 360 a GPU unlike anything else, the PS4 is essentially a highly tuned PC running a custom software stack.

1234 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo