Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1347 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details
24. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlelog Details Jul 26, 2013, 00:32 ViRGE

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 21:15:
These guys seem like they are outsmarting themselves a little.

What I'd really like from BF4 is the ability to setup my second MONITOR... on my PC... to be a large map with player data on it and/or a loadout screen, etc.

I don't own a tablet, and I'm not going to be using my cell phone for any game.
Here here! Half of this stuff shouldn't even require a second screen (changing loadouts while you're dead and server browsing), and the rest of it can be done on a second monitor on a PC.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Steam Greenlights
4. Re: More Steam Greenlights Jul 26, 2013, 00:17 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Jul 25, 2013, 20:44:
I'm quite impressed by how Valve have made a system whereby gamers do all the work of figuring out what's good and advertising the games for free. I know it's genuinely a big deal for small indie devs to get Greenlit so I don't want to be 100% cynical but damn, Valve are getting themselves a pretty good deal.
I'm afraid you have that backwards. Games have to do all the advertising before they get greenlit. Virtually no one votes on a game by going through Greenlight looking through games (there's simply too many of them and no real ability to filter them); they are directed there by the developer.

Now it's a nice bout of free advertising after you've been greenlit. But the amount of advertising needed to make it to this point may just as well be equal to how much advertising indies had to do before Greenlight.

News Comments > Rayman Legends PC Announced
1. Re: Rayman Legends PC Announced Jul 26, 2013, 00:05 ViRGE

Yay!

Origins was a fantastic game; the greatest 2D platformer in at least a decade. If you don't buy it for a console, you must buy it for the PC.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2013, 00:14.

News Comments > Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank
25. Re: Vivendi Raiding Activision's Piggy Bank Jul 24, 2013, 16:33 ViRGE

El Pit wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 15:14:
"...$4 Billion in its accounts, much of it kept in off-shore accounts..."

Yeah. Paying taxes is evil. Let the people pay taxes, not us multi-billion companies.
They did pay their taxes; they were taxed at where the item was sold in the first place. No one is dumb enough to pay taxes again, particularly when the entity trying to exert the second tax did nothing to provide for the sale being taxed.

News Comments > Valve on Greenlight Criticisms
13. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 24, 2013, 16:19 ViRGE

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 23:02:
What are you talking about?? Go to steam. Go to Store. Select games then Indie. There are 30 new indie games in July and counting. Most were never green lit. There are so many new indie games I only wish some went to be voted on. Greenlit is fine they are publishing ALOT of indie games that are not greenlit. Cry somewhere else about your pet game not being published...
You can check the numbers yourself from the Valve announcements. Only 66 games have been approved through Greenlight since the system started last year.

Note that Greenlight != all indie games published in the last year. Some of those games are covered by major publishers (despite their "indie" status"), other games that have been released are already approved before Greenlight went into effect, and yet other games are from indie publishers that kept their status and weren't demoted. My concerns are solely about those who have to go through Greenlight; the guys with standing publishing agreements have little to be concerned about.
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 24, 2013, 02:23:
That may have been the reason/motivation for Valve to put it together, but that doesn't change the actual primary function of the system. Why do indies want to be released on Steam? Exposure, so they can become rich and famous...
It's not so much exposure as it is merely the ability to get sold. No one wants to buy your game off of your home grown website, and Desura is not held in much higher regard. Take every reason that people won't buy games from Origin and only from Steam, and you have the same reason many indies can't sell well if they're not on Steam.

If you're not on the store that most people exclusively shop at, then you're not going to be able to sell very many copies of your game.

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 2013, 16:30.

5. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 23, 2013, 22:33 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 22:23:
Mightn't that indicates waving them through to the store so easily before was a mistake? If Greenlight had existed back then, they probably would have had to go through it, instead. "Published" or "unpublished," the good games always get noticed and float to the top of the heap anyway, so I don't see the problem. Only hurt egos...
I won't rehash the RPS comments verbatim, but I'd encourage you to go read them. Among other things only a small number of games have made it through Greenlight (66 in the last year, which is nothing for the number of games in the system), and there's the problem that Greenlight doesn't sufficiently differentiate between completed (and near-complete) games, and games that are still in the concept stage. Games are being greenlit on concept alone, instead of focusing on the quality of what's actually finished.

Good games that were previously getting published are now languishing, buried under the piles of crap that sit in Greenlight and coupled with Valve's much slower approval process for Greenlight. With the exception of a handful of games that Valve initially passed on pre-Greenlight that have now made it through, Greenlight has made things worse for indies.

3. Re: Valve on Greenlight Criticisms Jul 23, 2013, 22:14 ViRGE

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 21:45:
Green light rules everyone needs to shut their pie holes
I beg to differ. One of the consequences of Greenlight is that some of the smaller indie publishers who in the past have had no problem publishing their games on Steam are suddenly finding themselves thrown into the pit with the unpublished devs. To have your publishing rights taken away like that is a very bad thing.

News Comments > Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October
4. Re: Enter the Dominatrix Now SR4 DLC Due in October Jul 22, 2013, 22:01 ViRGE

Most of EtD's content was rolled into SR4, so it will be interesting to see just what they do with this new EtD DLC.  

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
22. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 20:07 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 20, 2013, 16:11:
There's almost definitely gonna be a second season pass. Has any other game done that before? I can't think of any.
I can't think of any either. But "season passes" are a relatively new thing. The only other MP games that produce a ton of post-launch content have been Battlefield and CoD, each of which already had their DLC planned out for the full interim period. Whereas Borderlands 2 was an unexpected smash hit, so they hadn't been planning on a second year of DLC.

News Comments > New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced
1. Re: New Borderlands 2 DLC Announced Jul 20, 2013, 14:18 ViRGE

I suspect we're going to get a second season pass for all of this, but time will tell.  

News Comments > EA Phenomic Closed: Report
3. Re: EA Phenomic Closed: Report Jul 13, 2013, 01:59 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 23:47:
Tiberium Alliances was the last thing they worked on? What have they been doing since then?

Creston
Probably some unannounced project that has since been canned. I'd wager another RTS.

News Comments > Dota 2 Rollout Details
2. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 10:12 ViRGE

I have nothing against DOTA 2, but having no interest in it I'm glad that it's finally out. Hopefully this means Valve can shift to working on something of a bit more interest (*cough* HL3).  

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:08 ViRGE

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.
Aye.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes
7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 00:07 ViRGE

Removing set bonuses is a start. Now if they'd just remove everything else other than the stock weapons and the game would be restored to its proper glory.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Campaign Soars
8. Re: Star Citizen Campaign Soars Jul 8, 2013, 12:26 ViRGE

John wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 11:24:
Wow, where do they keep getting money from?? I backed this on KS but I'm surprised they are still making millions without any kind of advertising that I know of. I just hope they use some of that money to improve/expand the SP portion of the game.
Squadron 42 has already been "locked in" as it were since the bulk of the early goals were for SP as opposed to MP. 50 missions, a full orchestral score, and celebrity voice acting (they're bringing back one of the WC favorites; dollars to donuts says Hamill). There's even a further 16 mission expansion campaign planned, which all of the original backers will get for free.

At this point all additional funding (besides offsetting the need to take private money) is technically for further enhancing Star Citizen. Though sharable assets such as additional mo-cap and new ships become available for S42 should they choose to use them.

News Comments > Star Citizen Economy Trailer
37. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 8, 2013, 05:16 ViRGE

loomy wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 05:02:
there is no game yet right? if you are irritated by watching the development process, you should not watch it
Indeed. It's only 7 months into what's expected to be a 24 month production process for Squadron 42, and longer yet for the complete Star Citizen. It's still early. There won't be much to show until the dogfighting module is near completion.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 6, 2013, 12:58 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:31:
Good old Verizon. "It's damaged beyond repair." No, it's damaged beyond your WILLINGNESS to repair it. Those two are not the same fucking thing.
Not quite. Salt water + copper wiring leads to the outright destruction of copper wiring. I mean yeah, bringing back the service is technically "repairing" it, but in reality what has to happen is that Verizon would need to lay down a completely new network. And given they just lost their copper plants it would have to be a fiber network at easily over 10K/home.

That stuff is expensive at a time when people are getting rid of landlines.

News Comments > Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD
20. Re: Bethesda on Franchises: Dishonored Yes; RAGE TBD Jul 5, 2013, 19:35 ViRGE

Frijoles wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 13:41:
I also enjoyed Rage. Way too short though. And I could do without the driving fluff. Just give me some maps to crawl through with lots of atmosphere.
Agreed. If they had ditched the driving sections and given it a better final act, I think it would have done very well for itself.

News Comments > Unannounced Epic Game Revealed
11. Re: Unannounced Epic Game Revealed Jul 5, 2013, 19:18 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 18:14:
Does anybody honestly care about what Epic does outside of their tech development? As far as I know none of the original team are still there. And Fortnite looks like shit.
I do. They're still one of the better game development houses.

News Comments > Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned
30. Re: Broken Age Budget Tight: Steam Early Access Planned Jul 3, 2013, 03:12 ViRGE

At least this is more a matter of scope/feature creep than it is just outright going over budget on a fixed scope. The outcome still isn't great - having to sell a game early is a bit troubling regardless of everything else - but at least backers are getting more bang for their buck than was originally planned.

Still, it's a sign that Double Fine needs to bring in a strong project manager to keep their projects on task. This kind of directionless scope creep should never have happened.

1347 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo