Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1225 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > EA's Battlefield Domain Spree
3. Re: EA's Battlefield Domain Spree May 8, 2013, 10:43 ViRGE

MajorD wrote on May 8, 2013, 10:14:
That's all part of their roadmap with gearing up the cookie-cutter-machine to recycle the SOS BF games that was so successful for Activision with CoD.

We've known they've been going this way for quite some time. The plan was to alternate BF and MoH games, but since the MoH franchise bombed, now everything is going to be under the BF franchise. EA absolutely wants BF to be the new CoD.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed May 7, 2013, 19:24 ViRGE

UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 6, 2013, 12:43:
ViRGE wrote on May 6, 2013, 09:27:
Most F2P games are right up there with collectable card games in terms of how dishonest they are about the real cost to play the game on a competitive level. So the fact that he brings up MechWarrior Tactics - itself based on a CCG - is fitting. Most F2P games won't be quite so blatant, but they're following the same general system.
hmm and hear I thought Mechwarrior Tactics was based on BattleTech....not MW:Dark Ages, but THE BattleTech.
I probably should have been clearer. I was referring to the gameplay, not the lore.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced
21. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Announced May 7, 2013, 11:47 ViRGE

1) That trailer sucked. How many man hours did they put into pre-rendering all of that only to have nothing to show for it?

2) What's with the serious tone? This is a game about shooting Nazis. When has Wolfenstein ever been a serious affair?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 6, 2013, 09:27 ViRGE

Most F2P games are right up there with collectable card games in terms of how dishonest they are about the real cost to play the game on a competitive level. So the fact that he brings up MechWarrior Tactics - itself based on a CCG - is fitting. Most F2P games won't be quite so blatant, but they're following the same general system.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
1. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 4, 2013, 19:06 ViRGE

There's really nothing more carriers can do. They already block phones. They can't keep them from being shipped out of the country, and if thieves can change the IMEI then there's no way to tell that the now modified phone is stolen.  

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
25. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 11:01 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on May 1, 2013, 10:59:
It's likely they're not looking to get rich on this but punish Sega/Gearbox and open the way more easily for a class-action suit. Let's hope they win.
But who does a class action suit help? It doesn't help consumers and it doesn't help publishers.

News Comments > Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit
8. Re: Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit May 1, 2013, 09:43 ViRGE

You'll get no objection out of me that A:CM was an incredibly disappointing game. But this lawsuit is absurd.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Strike Suit Infinity
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Strike Suit Infinity Apr 30, 2013, 20:39 ViRGE

Sounds like a more modern star on Star Soldier. Looks good, too.  

News Comments > EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE
7. Re: EVE Online TV and Comic Plans; $149.99 CE Apr 28, 2013, 17:11 ViRGE

BadIronTree wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 16:06:
Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2013, 14:41:
I'm sure that'll make both people interested in this very happy.

LoL do you know any other MMO that 10 years after it came out is still getting BIGGER with more and more subscribers ?
from 350k it went to HALF a million now...
That's really the most amazing thing. By all rights EVE should have died 9 years ago. Instead it slowly but steadily grows year after year.

It's one of those things where the developers must be doing something right, because no other MMO has been growing like this so far after its launch.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 27, 2013, 18:10 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 15:53:
Costs too much money and PAX makes more sense anyway.
The advantage of PAX is merely timing; it comes in August instead of June, so games are closer to completion. Otherwise it has the same fundamental problem of dragging developers away from their projects and requires them to hack out a demo build. And at the same time PAX isn't nearly as accessible as E3 since it takes place at a much smaller venue.

Regardless of what happens to E3, PAX will exist. But PAX will not replace E3.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 27, 2013, 18:07 ViRGE

vrok wrote on Apr 27, 2013, 17:05:
Google has nothing to do with the issue. The author of that article is just ignorant. It's all up to OEMs and carriers. Google has no part in it.
Agreed. The phones people are complaining about would have absolutely no problem running 4.x; it's the fault of the carriers that friggin point updates aren't making it out.

News Comments > EA Partners to Close?
13. Re: EA Partners to Close? Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:22:
Verno wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 09:19:
No surprise here, EAs future plans seem to be doubling down on internal projects and microtransactions. Shame, Partners had some very creative stuff released but ultimately EA is more focused on things they can iterate on every year, their entire business is structured around it now.

I'd call it a huge surprise.
Agreed, though for different reasons. The Partners label was easy money; EA does publishing work for-hire (on contract) and that's it. It's not a traditional investor-publisher relationship where they're investing money into games and then losing it on underperforming sales. As long as EA publishes partner games they make money.

So why they would be shutting down Partners is beyond me.

News Comments > Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP
11. Re: Gearbox Snags Homeworld IP Apr 22, 2013, 16:52 ViRGE

Gearbox, huh? I can't say I was expecting that. But at least they're going to ensure the first two games get properly redistributed.  

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
10. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 10:19 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:13:
So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?
Who would even pay more than $50K for Homeworld? Sure it was an interesting series, but having been dead for a decade there's not much value to it right now.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams
7. Re: Ron Gilbert's Hypothetical Monkey Island Dreams Apr 17, 2013, 13:22 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2013, 11:44:
and a setting that pretends that all games after Monkey Island 2 do not exist

Ron Gilbert to Telltale Games: Fuck you.

Which is weird, because the Telltale Monkey Island series was pretty fun.

Creston
My thoughts exactly. That's just being harsh to TTG, and more than a bit odd since Gilbert worked on that game.

News Comments > Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage
19. Re: Rise of the Triad Multiplayer Footage Apr 16, 2013, 20:49 ViRGE

Wow. They have my attention.  

News Comments > Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced
1. Re: Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse Announced Apr 15, 2013, 20:08 ViRGE

Mickey is back and he looks fantastic.
I wouldn't know. The trailer is completely pre-rendered.

News Comments > EA Ending Three Social Games
10. Re: EA Ending Three Social Games Apr 15, 2013, 10:29 ViRGE

wtf_man wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 10:17:
Well... if they are only being paid per ad hit... like YouTube pays a couple bucks per 1000 video hits... then probably there needs to be huge activity before the game can generate a profit. So once activity drops below a certain threshold, it probably starts losing money as EA has to pay whomever maintains the code, etc.

I don't know how the model works, nor how Facebook pays for the games.
The above was just a guess on my part.
...not that I really care about Facebook, social games, nor EA.
It's a correct guess. These games are supported through ads and whales (the dumb people that spend hundreds of dollars). Even with the two the average per-user take is very low due to the fact that ads pay poorly and whales are a tiny percentage. So if your user count drops below enormous levels, you can quickly reach a point where minimal dev costs and service costs outstrip your income. This is especially bad if you disproportionally lose your whales, leaving behind a bunch of people essentially playing for free.

News Comments > Free Hyperspace Pinball
1. Re: Free Hyperspace Pinball Apr 12, 2013, 07:20 ViRGE

This is the first I've heard of Desura. So it's yet another Steam clone? Pass.

I like free games (and pinball too!), but I'm not going to install yet another digital distribution client for it.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Footage
12. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Footage Apr 11, 2013, 05:53 ViRGE

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 05:20:
Texture quality and voice acting is bit on the meh side.
Okay, so I'm not the only one that noticed that? The character models look rough for 2013; both the texture resolution and the poly count seem unusually low.

1225 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo