Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1381 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Infinite for OS X
1. Re: BioShock Infinite for OS X Aug 30, 2013, 00:08 ViRGE

Well that's a pleasant surprise. It's a SteamPlay game. I figured they'd make Mac users buy a separate copy.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 30, 2013, 00:03 ViRGE

I don't doubt that the XB1's voice chat quality is better than 360's. However that's more a pox on the 360's poor implementation than it is a shining testament to XB1. There isn't any fancy technology here, they're just increasing the bitrate and sampling frequency.  

News Comments > LEGO Minifigures Online Announced
1. Re: LEGO Minifigures Online Announced Aug 29, 2013, 21:22 ViRGE

So LEGO Skylanders, then?  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
21. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 20:34 ViRGE

I just finally finished SR4 today (22 hours later... yikes!). It was worth every cent. I cannot think of the last time I had this much fun playing a third person video game.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Aug 29, 2013, 08:50 ViRGE

saluk wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 03:54:
I was a tmnt fan back in the day, but the ip has aged horribly. Might as well try and revive the power rangers ip.
Revive? It's not dead (yet). Heck, it just turned 20 yesterday.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year
4. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year Aug 29, 2013, 01:51 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:51:
uhm.. wasn't Atlus bankrupt ? Or am I confusing this with something else now?
Technically it's Atlus's parent company. Atlas proper launched Dragon's Crown this month, so they just got a nice cash infusion.

News Comments > Contraption Maker Early Access
1. Re: Contraption Maker Early Access Aug 29, 2013, 01:47 ViRGE

Let me be the first person to say that I initially read the title as "Contraception Maker" rather than "Contraption". I apparently have a dirty mind.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 28, 2013, 08:49 ViRGE

"Rayman Legends Vita delayed to September."

Well shoot, that's the edition I had ordered. Though the fact that a delay comes this late is a bit weird. Given the turnaround time on manufacturing, cartridge production would have commenced at the start of the month. Which also means there will clearly be a day 1 patch to roll out the post-manufacturing changes.

Edit: Though it's interesting that only Europe is mentioned; none of the American retailers are showing a delay (yet), but that's probably just propagation delay

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
1. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 08:43 ViRGE

After the troubles Square initially had, I'm happy to see that they're finally finding success. On the other hand, after the disaster that was FF14 at launch, the irony is delicious.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Aug 28, 2013, 05:41 ViRGE

Capitan wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 05:13:
In the past game developers had a passion for making games, now it's just money that determines what storyline a game will contain. In good ol' days it was more like 'an odd idea' was better. Now doesn't the game studios dare to take that 'extra' step because they're so afraid of losing money and ofc we can thank the big dragons like EA, Id etc for this. They choose mainstream because they know that works.
Well let's not put on the rose colored glasses quite yet. For professional developers it has always been about the money. However after the fall of the arcades the best way to earn money was to make fun games, and so that's what developers did. It was something that worked out well for both parties.

Otherwise you're spot on about the pitfalls of F2P. I hesitate to call anyone a "cancer", but when the model is based around creating addictions and exploiting the user first, and being genuinely fun second (at best) then we have a problem, which the author is seemingly contributing to.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2013, 06:54.

News Comments > Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux
5. Re: Metro: Last Light Coming to OS X and Linux Aug 28, 2013, 05:08 ViRGE

Watter wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 01:46:
How is this even playable on a mac? Unless you have a Mac Pro (small market one would have to believe), the best video card you can have is a GeForce 650M, right? Can that card play MLL in a way that makes it worth it?
Current iMacs go up to the 680MX, which is similar in performance to the desktop 670. So they're not completely hobbled in that respect.

News Comments > Happy Birthday Team Fortress
2. Re: Happy Birthday Team Fortress Aug 28, 2013, 05:06 ViRGE

I'd celebrate, but quite frankly the game is a shadow of its former self. A poster child for how F2P concepts took a previously good game ridiculously off course.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned?
19. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Next Week; GotY Edition Planned? Aug 27, 2013, 21:09 ViRGE

Razumen wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 13:58:
More active abilities would be nice, Gearbox is just lazy imho with only one per character and a crapload of passives that don't do much or are hard to even notice.
The problem with active abilities is that you need a way to activate them. Since the game does need to be playable on a 360 controller you're going to run out of buttons quickly.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV "4th Biggest Launch of the Year"
3. Re: U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV Aug 27, 2013, 15:58 ViRGE

Only the 4th biggest launch of the year? A shame, it deserves even better than that. As far as gameplay is concerned it's the best game of the year (at least thus far).  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 26, 2013, 19:39 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 16:15:
The comments section on news sites isn't any different than YouTube anymore. Fox News already disabled their comments section a while ago from what I've read, and it wouldn't surprise me if CNN followed suit... reading the posts after virtually any article on CNN is like diving into a manure pit looking for gold.
Indeed. It's so bad these days that even extreme measures like blocking anons are no longer off the table. Trolls are ruining these comment systems, making them useless for everyone who wants to have a real discussion, so something has to be done. You'll lose a few good anon comments, which is unfortunate, but if it saves the comment system from being entirely worthless then it's a reasonable tradeoff at this point. Especially if it cuts down on the racism (my god the racism on the Internet is bad these days).

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Aug 26, 2013, 19:24 ViRGE

Dacron wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:27:
Suppa7 wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 14:22:
So many indie developers suffer from dunning krueger, thinking they are better and that there games are better then they really are.

Reality is most indies suck and their games are mostly mediocre to bad, if not entire rip offs of games from a long time ago.

And several dozen side scrollers (indie or commercial game makers) are not very interesting.
And that's really the crux of the matter. Though it's wider than that. There are too many people trying to pitch too many video games at all levels of production. Everything from 2 guys with an idea to 100 man studios that want to make MOBA n+1. With so many (too many) video games in production, a lot of them are going to fail to grab attention and players. If nothing else because of Sturgeon's Law (90% of everything is crap).

They at least seem to understand the outcome - you don't get much traction unless you get listed on a major news site - so there's that. But I'm not sure they understand the cause, which is unfortunate. With the flood of video games people simply don't have time to evaluate every single game, let alone every single Indie game. IGN, TotalBiscuit, etc are essentially the pre-readers for the larger gaming community, which is harsh but necessary to distill so much information into something an individual can handle. If you can't make a major news site then it's probably not just a matter of them not knowing about you; it's you failing to make the cut. Which again sucks, but it has to happen to someone.

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2013, 12:44:
and posted announcements to 68 forums

Major faux-pas. Nobody wants to see their forums turn into fucking craigslist.
That may be the most damning bit of all of this. Spamming forums not only shows the authors to be ethically questionable, but they fail to understand the difference between self-promotion and having a 3rd party discuss your game on a forum, and why that differentiation matters.

News Comments > GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak
11. Re: GTA5 Gold; Rockstar Addresses Leak Aug 25, 2013, 14:23 ViRGE

"Apologizing for the spoilers which have ensued"

Seriously? Radio station playlists are apology-worthy these days?

People are too touchy-feely these days or something.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
9. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 25, 2013, 01:38 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 20:05:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 17:45:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 15:34:
The only problem with the last controller was the directional pad was crap.
Which the new one apparently fixes, which would make it just about the best controller ever.

Wait til you've held the new PS4 controller, it's pretty great and will make the DS3 just a bad memory.
The sticks are sadly still in the wrong place. Though with that one I'm first waiting to see if it's any easier to hold.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 24, 2013, 17:45 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 15:34:
The only problem with the last controller was the directional pad was crap.
Which the new one apparently fixes, which would make it just about the best controller ever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 24, 2013, 07:42 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:34:
Wait, are they capping the FPS at 30 for the PC version of NFS: Rivals too? Because that would be really, really dumb.
I imagine we won't know for sure until it launches on the PC. But they'd hardly be the first game to cap the PC version at the same framerate as the consoles.

1381 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo