Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1225 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
4. Re: The story of NeoGAF part two: scandal and control - VG247. May 16, 2013, 17:31 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on May 16, 2013, 14:06:
I have to say NeoGAF is really bad, and I always avoid that place like the plague. Making the forums invite only or have account review before activation won't help it.
Indeed. I've never understood the appeal of NeoGAF; it's a badly threaded forum with a terrible signal to noise ratio and a lot of hot-headed nerds.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 16, 2013, 17:29 ViRGE

LurkerLito wrote on May 16, 2013, 09:52:
Pretty sure online pass was killed because the new consoles allow developers to decide if their games will be "locked" to a single console. Given EA's history I would assume every single one of their games will be locked to the first console that plays it.
I don't like conspiracy theories, but that's one of the only things that would make sense. Otherwise I don't understand why EA would get rid of Online Passes. Of course they suck and no one likes them; but I don't know anyone who stopped buying (original) games because of them. Online Passes only screw over the second-hand market, and EA wasn't getting any money out of that in the first place.

News Comments > On Metro: Last Light Development
4. Re: On Metro: Last Light Development May 16, 2013, 17:22 ViRGE

Xil wrote on May 16, 2013, 02:29:
nin wrote on May 15, 2013, 23:25:
That was a great read - I hope the game does well for them.

+1
+2

News Comments > Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming
26. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 13:12 ViRGE

Tumbler wrote on May 15, 2013, 12:38:
Someone mentioned that a Star Wars themed Mirror's edge sequel would be awesome! I got excited by that.

Then EA said, no this studio making all these fine metal of honor game, that is who will make our star wars games!

I guess we can hope that this studio won't be the only one making star wars games...
Are we sure this is Danger Close Games? The article says it's a new studio; DCG is already open, and the kind of employment numbers they're talking about would be lower than what DCG already has.

News Comments > Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming
5. Re: Star Wars Focused DICE Studio Coming May 15, 2013, 09:36 ViRGE

What makes a studio a "DICE" studio? DICE is in Sweden. This seems like it's just a branded EA studio, to ride on the coattails of DICE's good name.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization May 15, 2013, 00:02 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on May 14, 2013, 22:43:
raVen wrote on May 14, 2013, 21:54:
Frostbite for phones, but not Wii-U? Hahahahahaha.

that's actually a pretty funny observation there... well, nobody likes the Wii U i guess?
It's the only current-gen device with a PPC processor. I doubt they want to take the time to maintain a PPC codebase.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Borderlands 2: The Psycho Pack
14. Re: More Big Picture Details May 14, 2013, 20:10 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on May 14, 2013, 18:15:
DangerDog wrote on May 14, 2013, 17:03:
I haven't finished the first playthrough and I doubt I would have any interest in doing another playthrough.

$10 for a new character seems a little high.

Neverwinter wants $40 for their high end mount... The only thing new it does is moves 60% faster, no other skills.

If you are big time into BL2, $10 isn't so bad. Is this free for those with a season pass?
No. The Season Pass is only the 4 content expansions; it doesn't include the new characters.

"The Borderlands 2 Season Pass, which bundles four campaign add-ons and the Ultimate Vault Hunter Pack at a discount, does not include additional characters like Gaige the Mechromancer or Krieg the Psycho."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 13, 2013, 14:43 ViRGE

"More U.S. Teens Killed Texting While Driving Than Drinking."

And yet the population as a whole still raises holy hell whenever anyone suggests seriously enforcing bans on texting while driving.

News Comments > The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews
8. Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified Video; Previews May 13, 2013, 14:38 ViRGE

Alamar wrote on May 13, 2013, 11:37:
I think their definition of 'gameplay' differs from mine...

I mean, there were 3 non-consecutive seconds that might be gameplay.

-Alamar
Ditto. It's more of a teaser with some quick shots of in-game cut-scenes thrown in. Which makes it very hard to evaluate the gameplay in any way.

News Comments > Square Enix's "Extraordinary" Losses
15. Re: Square Enix's May 13, 2013, 14:36 ViRGE

Cram wrote on May 13, 2013, 14:15:
Jerykk wrote on May 13, 2013, 12:27:
Step 2: Cancel all Final Fantasy games.

Curious to see Final Fantasy XV's reveal at E3. Will I laugh, or cry?
You'll laugh until you'll cry.

In all seriousness though, as much as I hate to berate FF, between 13 and 14 Square seems to have gone completely off track. And I don't think they really understand why that is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 13, 2013, 14:30 ViRGE

It seems a bit absurd at first, but sure enough, they're using a clear facsimile of the ESRB logo as a cornerstone of their marketing campaign. I've seen some weird advertising strategies in my times, and this is definitely near the top of the list.  

News Comments > Defiance Renewed
48. Re: Now you see that evil will always triumph.. because good is dumb May 11, 2013, 18:58 ViRGE

netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 16:31:
Agent.X7 wrote on May 11, 2013, 15:13:
netnerd85 wrote on May 11, 2013, 03:36:
Jack9 wrote on May 10, 2013, 20:29:
It's better than Haven or Warehouse 13 or Eureka or any of the half-assed scifi that was dominating TV the years before. I can't understand the undeserving vitrol Defiance is getting. There's literally nothing wrong with the show and lots of things right. If you didn't like the pilot episode, I'm not sure your opinion is in line with the general scifi audience. I had to live through the first seasons of ST:TNG. You don't know terrible son.
I'm sorry, what's wrong with Warehouse 13, apart from that annoying hipster bitch and that new... thing... they brought in for the B team.

Okay, so it's heading downhill but it's still been good previously.

Hoping they make that H.G. Wells spin off show...

Not likely considering H.G. is played by one of the stars of Defiance.
She has left herself open apparently and it's the same channel... so little conflict there. She can be killed off I am sure, who would pass up a leading role in their own show? no actor.
Unfortunately the H.G. Wells spinoff is dead. W13's "3 2 1" was the backdoor pilot, and while it did well SyFy(NBC Uni) decided to produce Defiance instead.

30. Re: Now you see that evil will always triumph.. because good is dumb May 11, 2013, 07:17 ViRGE

Jack9 wrote on May 11, 2013, 03:08:
This kind of idiocy is probably why your marginal views end up here. Can't be science fiction with drama, no siree. If a show doesnt (insert random fantasy, like exploring the the impact of technology X) pander to your tastes, it's a soap opera. Amirite?
Science fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Defiance isn't the human condition, it's petty people bickering. If your scripts can be easily exchanged with Days of our Lives, you don't have sci-fi.

22. Re: Now you see that evil will always triumph.. because good is dumb May 11, 2013, 02:29 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on May 11, 2013, 01:33:
I'll agree that TNG didn't hit its stride until season 3 but the first 2 were hardly "bad". Defiance is tripe. Utter tripe. So it's not me who isn't the sci-fi fan.
TNG's problems were character development, a lack of a real enemy, and cheesy plots straight out of 1960. Those were all things that could be fixed.

Defiance's problem is far more fundamental. The setting and tone of the series - the thing that defines it - is all wrong. It's the same problem with SGU, it's basically a show about a ship/city full of miserable people and all the bad things that happen to them. When your show is about a bunch of catty jackasses screwing each other over, you either have a historical drama or a soap opera.

15. Re: Defiance Renewed May 11, 2013, 00:44 ViRGE

Tanto Edge wrote on May 10, 2013, 17:36:
I thot this show was terrible.
Has it improved since the first episodes?
It's getting more than 2 million viewers per episode; for SyFy that's a small miracle right now. W13, their otherwise reigning champion, is down to below 1.5 million. SyFy will renew anything getting over 2 million viewers right now, no matter how bad it is (and yes, Defiance is pretty bad).
Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2013, 00:32:
Even if Defiance is bad, you aren't much of a sci-fi fan if you are giving up on the show after only four episodes.
On the contrary. A well seasoned sci-fi fan should be able to tell the difference between science fiction and a soap opera. Defiance may have guys in rubber masks, but it's definitely a soap opera.

News Comments > World of Tanks Lawsuit
13. Re: World of Tanks Lawsuit May 10, 2013, 14:39 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on May 10, 2013, 14:20:
Also, this is pretty damning:
Oh wow. That seems to make it a pretty cut and dry case, to say the least.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 DoS Attack
13. Re: Battlefield 3 DoS Attack May 9, 2013, 18:41 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on May 9, 2013, 09:18:
Since this is DICE and EA, I have some trouble believing that a DoS attack is keeping their servers down for a 'couple' of days. Im thinking that their infrastucture was poorly operated and the whole thing came crashing down and now they are fixing it and invented this DoS bullshit so they dont end up looking bad.
I love bashing EA as much as the next guy, but that's clearly not the case. Their infrastructure was able to handle the launch of BF3 and its expansion packs, when the number of players would be far greater than it currently is.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost
19. Re: Activision Blizzard Results, More WoW Subs Lost May 9, 2013, 00:44 ViRGE

Dev wrote on May 8, 2013, 21:23:
8m (current) to 12m (peak) is 50%. Thats not insignificant.
And yet anyone else would kill to have that kind of a subscriber base. $15/month and they shell out for the expansion pack at essentially the price for a full game every 2 years. $400/account per 2 year cycle is good money.
Wallshadows wrote on May 8, 2013, 23:06:
Devil's advocate but the game is nearly 10 years old, of course it'll start to dip in subscription numbers.
And then there's EVE... Though to be fair, that took a few years to "pop" in subscriber numbers, whereas Warcraft was a massive success right out of the gate.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only
11. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Single-Player Only May 9, 2013, 00:39 ViRGE

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on May 9, 2013, 00:23:
How long have we been saying we want SP and MP as separate entities?

I'm not so sure about that. Remember Unreal 2? How it had this awesome multiplayer that was cut at the last minute because Atari wanted "Unreal 2 to be SP and Unreal Tournament to be multiplayer"? And how Unreal 2 while pretty alright as a single player game didn't have enough content or spark to sustain an audience? And then, when sales failed to meet expecations, they patched back in the XMP multiplayer mode, and it remains one of the best multiplayer shooters ever? But by that time, Unreal 2 had failed at retail, and not enough people had a copy of Unreal 2 to sustain a community for the new multiplayer?

I'd be willing to bet that Unreal 2 would've been a much more successful game, both successful financially, and successful for those who tried to be a part of a new multiplayer community for a dying game, had they actually shipped a complete SP/MP product.
1) That was 10 years ago. The economics have changed.

2) Unreal 2 SP was mediocre in part because they put resources into MP. Imagine if they put every dime into SP instead.

A game with MP and SP is often half-assed at both. Or at best has good MP and god-awful SP (see: BF3).

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Re: Morning Interviews May 8, 2013, 10:44 ViRGE

Just reading the comments... Jesus. What the hell is it about nerds that causes them to lose 50 IQ points whenever the subject of Jade Raymond comes up?  

1225 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo