Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1372 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Sep 4, 2013, 01:02 ViRGE

nin wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:55:
Saints Row IV: Dubstep Gun (Remix) Pack on Steam…

I admit the "classical" and "polka" settings had me laughing...but I'm not paying $3 for it.

That may be the stupidest piece of DLC they've done to date. But damn if I'm not stupid enough to buy it. The various tracks on the dubstep gun in the game were amusing in their own right, so of course more is going to be better.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released
2. Re: Borderlands 2 Ultimate Upgrade Pack 2 Released Sep 4, 2013, 00:47 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 22:36:
Please keep buying shit for Borderlands, as our plans for Aliens CM have failed horribly!
Or you could keep buying BL2 expansions because it's a good game...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
40. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 4, 2013, 00:32 ViRGE

killer_roach wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:50:
MindStalker3 wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 16:30:
From what I understand the "magic" is really in the graphics chip in the 360. They could do PowerPC emulation plus the real graphics chip and it might work. Will they do it? Not in a million years.

Emulating six PPC cores at 3.2 GHz each on an eight-core x86 setup likely running between 1.4 and 1.6 GHz is, quite literally, impossible. They've got the cores, they'd just need them running around 5-6 GHz to have reliable emulation performance.
To be clear it's not impossible, but the fundamentals of your point are valid. For general workloads one Jaguar core can run circles around any one of those heavily neutered PPC cores. The problem is that because Xenon was in-order, so is the code written for it. So there's going to be very limited ability to extract Instruction Level Parallelism (ILP) out of certain critical sections of code, which in turn would hold back Jaguar. If it can't split up workloads over multiple execution ports (let alone multiple cores) then you're relying almost exclusively on its ability to emulate and quickly retire individual PPC instructions, which given the clockspeeds would be a big problem.

That said, it depends entirely on the code. There will be sections of Xenon code that will completely fly on a Jaguar core. In fact the less well optimized it is for Xenon's idiosyncrasies, the better it would do on Jaguar.

And just as a point of clarification, Xenon is 3 cores with SMT, not 6 cores. It's far easier to just treat it as a 6 core device for emulation purposes, but the actual workload coming down the pipe won't be nearly as intense as a real 6 core workload, due to the interdependencies and conflicts between threads when using SMT.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 23:30 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 22:55:
I'm going to buy a dickwolves shirt and send it to this cunt Elizabeth Whateverthefuck's house. Fuck her and her whiny self-righteous crusade for attention.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but just in case...

Don't do that. That's tantamount to harassment and is otherwise a bad thing to do.

News Comments > Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted
2. Re: Mighty No. 9 Kickstarted Sep 3, 2013, 23:28 ViRGE

nin wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 20:58:
I'm still a little surprised (yet excited) it's doing so well...two stretch goals are already down, and it's still trucking along.
It'll slow down after $1.5M as the initial campaign pop wanes, but I fully expect they'll hit $2.5M (or more) by the end.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 3, 2013, 22:45 ViRGE

Sepharo wrote on Sep 3, 2013, 21:58:
Krahulik is right. He should have never bent to any group (I don't care what group or what cause)...
The surprising bit is that Khoo even agreed with him. When you submit to pressure from one group others will then see that as a weakness and try to pressure you too; I have to assume that's what happened to get Khoo on board.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rayman Legends
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Rayman Legends Sep 3, 2013, 22:39 ViRGE

Yay! I'm still working my way through it, but so far it's clearly the best 2D platformer since at least Rayman Origins, itself easily the best 2D platformer this side of the new millennium.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 1, 2013, 01:30 ViRGE

dj LiTh wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 16:28:
Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 14:57:
Or you could just not support Apple.

Pretty much this, I bought an iphone 3g way back when, was my first smart phone, and last apple product. Not that it was bad, but after a few ios updates it was a joke, atleast android phones dont turn to molasses if you want to upgrade to an allowable upgrade. I've built several hackintosh's for friends, although i never felt the need to flex osx, but its a easy money maker thats for sure.
The 3G was in something of an odd spot. It was the same ARM11 (ARMv6) + PVR MBX SoC from the original iPhone, melded to a new baseband. Consequently it was the last ARM11 iPhone; the 3GS and later were ARMv7 based (Cortex A8, A9, and then Swift). Computational baseline performance was much lower than the 3GS, only made worse by the lack of a pipelined FPU and other modern features, and a GPU that was OpenGL ES 1.x (no pixel shaders).

Basically the SoC was a year out of date when it launched, and being the last of its generation was badly outdated the moment the 3GS rolled out. There's not a hell of a lot Apple could have done about its performance; they would have needed to essentially keep it on iOS 3.x and not add anything else to it. Which given all the stuff Apple added in iOS 4, wouldn't have been reasonable in the long run.

The 3GS and 4 on the other hand have held up much better. Though the 256MB of RAM on the 3GS is something of a limiting factor these days, it didn't get outmoded nearly as quickly as the 3.

On a side note, the Android guys didn't fare much better either. Gingerbread ran even worse on ARMv6 SoCs, which is also why the cheap Chinese phones were so damn awful there for a while (worse than they are now).

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
38. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Sep 1, 2013, 01:18 ViRGE

nin wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 00:46:
Anyone else watching the unofficial "Mega Man" game rack up the money tonight? 234K in 4 hours...
There's a Mega Man kickstarter from the series' original creator? I'm surprised that hasn't attracted more attention and broken its goals already.

News Comments > Star Citizen Credit Sales
25. Re: Star Citizen Credit Sales Aug 31, 2013, 20:50 ViRGE

Wildone wrote on Aug 31, 2013, 20:47:
where the fuck do these people get that kinda disposable income..
Space sims have always gravitated towards the slightly higher brow, slightly richer crowd. The fact that those kids are now adults holding down steady (and generally very good) jobs means they have plenty of income to throw at the hobby. Not unlike model train enthusiasts.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hangar Module Released
63. Re: Star Citizen Hangar Module Released Aug 31, 2013, 03:13 ViRGE

nin wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:50:
Jivaro wrote on Aug 30, 2013, 22:30:
I am a skeptical person by nature. Some of you however make me feel like I am the eternal optimist. Thank you.

Hey, if just the hanger can produce 59 posts in one day, just think what happens when the actual content shows up. To me, it shows people are interested. :)
Indeed. Almost 14 years to the day after the day the space sim died, it's exhilarating to see people talking about space sims seriously again. And even more so that a AAA space sim created by a veteran producer is within our grasp.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite for OS X
1. Re: BioShock Infinite for OS X Aug 30, 2013, 00:08 ViRGE

Well that's a pleasant surprise. It's a SteamPlay game. I figured they'd make Mac users buy a separate copy.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 30, 2013, 00:03 ViRGE

I don't doubt that the XB1's voice chat quality is better than 360's. However that's more a pox on the 360's poor implementation than it is a shining testament to XB1. There isn't any fancy technology here, they're just increasing the bitrate and sampling frequency.  

News Comments > LEGO Minifigures Online Announced
1. Re: LEGO Minifigures Online Announced Aug 29, 2013, 21:22 ViRGE

So LEGO Skylanders, then?  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week
21. Re: Saints Row IV Sells 1M in One Week Aug 29, 2013, 20:34 ViRGE

I just finally finished SR4 today (22 hours later... yikes!). It was worth every cent. I cannot think of the last time I had this much fun playing a third person video game.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows Aug 29, 2013, 08:50 ViRGE

saluk wrote on Aug 29, 2013, 03:54:
I was a tmnt fan back in the day, but the ip has aged horribly. Might as well try and revive the power rangers ip.
Revive? It's not dead (yet). Heck, it just turned 20 yesterday.

News Comments > Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year
4. Re: Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Next Year Aug 29, 2013, 01:51 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 28, 2013, 22:51:
uhm.. wasn't Atlus bankrupt ? Or am I confusing this with something else now?
Technically it's Atlus's parent company. Atlas proper launched Dragon's Crown this month, so they just got a nice cash infusion.

News Comments > Contraption Maker Early Access
1. Re: Contraption Maker Early Access Aug 29, 2013, 01:47 ViRGE

Let me be the first person to say that I initially read the title as "Contraception Maker" rather than "Contraption". I apparently have a dirty mind.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 28, 2013, 08:49 ViRGE

"Rayman Legends Vita delayed to September."

Well shoot, that's the edition I had ordered. Though the fact that a delay comes this late is a bit weird. Given the turnaround time on manufacturing, cartridge production would have commenced at the start of the month. Which also means there will clearly be a day 1 patch to roll out the post-manufacturing changes.

Edit: Though it's interesting that only Europe is mentioned; none of the American retailers are showing a delay (yet), but that's probably just propagation delay

News Comments > FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response
1. Re: FF14 Sales Suspended Due to Positive Response Aug 28, 2013, 08:43 ViRGE

After the troubles Square initially had, I'm happy to see that they're finally finding success. On the other hand, after the disaster that was FF14 at launch, the irony is delicious.  

1372 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo