Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1369 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned
12. Re: Stolen Sniper Elite 3 Keys Banned Jun 28, 2014, 18:14 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:25:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 28, 2014, 15:15:
How on earth do digital keys GET stolen anyway?

I wondered that as well. A retailer gets them, gets hacked, and then the hacker resells them to another retailer? And these other retailers are buying keys from some random person who approaches them?
To answer the first question about how they get stolen, you are fundamentally correct. There have been a few different incidents of servers being hacked and Steam game keys stolen. The most famous of which is probably AMD's servers being hacked to access their nearly million key supply of one of Codemasters' racing games (DiRT 3, I think it was). Generally one protects keys very well, but as the saying goes nobody is perfect. Though I would also note that in all of these cases the weak link has been the retailer/distributor and not the developer or publisher since the latter doesn't engage in direct key sales with individuals (so there's no reason to believe the keys were stolen directly from Rebellion).

The second question about the retailers then, the issue is always with shady 3rd party retailers. If you buy from Steam then you are buying from the source. But there are a number of other sites out there that are focused on selling Steam games at cutthroat prices or offering an eBay-like multi-vendor storefront for the former, such as Kinguin. These retailers will buy keys from anyone who is selling, particularly Russian and 3rd world distributors who are engaging in arbitrage. In these cases a key can potentially change hands several times before finally being sold.

Most likely what happened is that one of the shady retailers thought they were buying keys from Russians, only to instead end up with the hacked keys. And of course they operate a very low margin business, so they're pissed.

Meanwhile nothing about Rebellion's story looks out of place. While they're scummy for their stupid trademark dispute, this is exactly how a stolen keys scenario would play out.

The moral of the story being that this is why you should always buy from a legitimate retailer, such as the publisher or Steam (edit: or GMG). Because there are plenty of criminals out there who will gladly sell you stolen keys if they can get their hands on them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game
8. Re: Sleeping Dogs Developer Making F2P Game Jun 26, 2014, 19:32 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 13:32:
Given how quickly Sleeping Dogs went to $5 I wonder if they lost money on it and lost confidence in the AAA model.
Sleeping Dogs turned a profit and was good enough to justify a sequel. So they couldn't have done too poorly.

News Comments > Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold
2. Re: Minecraft Passes 50M Units Sold Jun 26, 2014, 09:37 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 26, 2014, 09:33:
Never would have guessed it would get so popular, but good for them. Fun game...

Indeed. I bought it back in Alpha; but I never thought it would take off like this.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 26, 2014, 00:25 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 21:22:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 18:13:
Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:29:
eSports competitors have had a hard time being recognised by the US government. League of Legends was last year deemed a professional sport by the US government, meaning international competitors can now travel to the US as professional athletes.

Oh lord. And the US wonders why it has an obesity epidemic.
It's a classification for visa purposes, not a statement on physical activity.

Uh, I fucking know. Is there some reason they can't be considered professional gamers?
Because the US doesn't have a category for that yet. It's easier to add new professions to existing categories than to go through a long process of adding new categories entirely.

Despite being seemingly open to anyone that wants to come as a tourist, US policy is generally unfriendly to anyone that wants to come on a visa to work here. Doubleplus so if it's someone from a country we do not like.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 25, 2014, 19:10 ViRGE

Reason number 532 why the Internet press annoys me: Why is "apologized" in quotes? It implies that she did not apologize and that there is a double meaning to that word, when in fact there is not.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 25, 2014, 18:13 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2014, 13:29:
eSports competitors have had a hard time being recognised by the US government. League of Legends was last year deemed a professional sport by the US government, meaning international competitors can now travel to the US as professional athletes.

Oh lord. And the US wonders why it has an obesity epidemic.
It's a classification for visa purposes, not a statement on physical activity.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jun 24, 2014, 23:47 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 22:50:
The only difference between Ben's articles and a Gamefaqs post these days is that he runs a spell check.
Hey now, Ben is one of the better writers of this era. And in this specific case he's 110% correct.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Jun 24, 2014, 16:36 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jun 24, 2014, 11:10:
Fan reaction to Garden Warfare has been nothing short of amazing.

Really? Where? In some local cafe down your street or something? Did you get confused between this and PvZ 2?

Launch trailer contains no gameplay footage. Mention of booster packs, in-game coins, etc. so monetized out the ass. Sounds like a winner.

I had relatively high hopes for this one since it's a lighthearted team based shooter. But leave it to EA to ruin it with P2W nonsense...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 23, 2014, 16:53 ViRGE

Ahh the modern age. Even when you buy the game on disc you still have to download your game.  

News Comments > Play PC Titanfall for Free
45. Re: Play PC Titanfall for Free Jun 20, 2014, 22:02 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 11:13:
Of course, with only 48 hours of it being free, I couldn't even get it downloaded in time on account of the insane size of their sound files.
To be clear, it's 48 hours from the time you start the game, not the download.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jun 20, 2014, 21:57 ViRGE

I can't say I'm surprised. For anyone that has played FTL the screen size problem would be pretty obvious.  

News Comments > All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked
1. Re: All Battlefield Hardline Beta Weapons Unlocked Jun 20, 2014, 18:23 ViRGE

Now just leave it like this in the final version, and we can proudly ignore the mess that has been progression and unlocks.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
45. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 18:04 ViRGE

Razumen wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 17:01:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:40:
Jivaro wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:37:
It would make more sense to start off with default "arcade" type controls and let the simmers adjust to their wants/needs, rather than the other way around. I mean the hardcores are the ones that even understand most of those terms etc. But this is what alphas are there for and it all still looks good to me.
At the end of the day I don't particularly care about the MP portion since I don't intend to play it. But for SP I certainly expect it to behave arcadey, either innately or through the flight computer). I want to be a space fighting badass, laws of physics be damned. Having to learn how to really fly a space ship (and repeatedly fail) in an action game is not my idea of fun.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:52:
It would make more sense to start off with default "arcade" type controls and let the simmers adjust to their wants/needs, rather than the other way around. I mean the hardcores are the ones that even understand most of those terms etc. But this is what alphas are there for and it all still looks good to me.

I can not begin to tell you people how weird it is to feel like I am nearly alone as a non-cynic with regards to this game. My wife is constantly bagging on me for being too cynical. I find it very humorous that while I am not a CR fanboy who would pay money for an autographed piece of used toilet paper, I am not any less enthusiastic about this game than I was when the project began either. I must be mellowing in my old age. (or it could be that the 35 dollar price tag just doesn't yank my chain hard enough to make me care about every little thing that may or may not be going wrong)

I'm with you. I think a lot of people are, it's just the naysayers tend to be vocal.
Agreed in full.

Meh, some of us prefer to become actual space combat badasses rather than have it handed to us on a silver platter, but to each their own I guess.
I'm not necessarily opposed to that. The problem is that fighter pilots fall distinctly into a bell curve. Most of us will never be good enough.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Love & War Patch Released
4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Love & War Patch Released Jun 19, 2014, 18:03 ViRGE

Axis wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:51:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 16:44:
descender wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 12:27:
We were too busy making these great guns worse.
TF2 as an idea and in presentation is fantastic. TF2 as a game is absolutely terrible these days.

Couldn't be farther from the truth. It's one of the only really enjoyable FPS's out there if you aren't a CODrone.
There's more to life than COD's mindless gunplay and TF2's unbalanced mess of weapons and power-ups. TF2 before it jumped the shark and added all of these weapons was an excellent game that was both varied and balanced.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Love & War Patch Released
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Love & War Patch Released Jun 19, 2014, 16:44 ViRGE

descender wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 12:27:
We were too busy making these great guns worse.
TF2 as an idea and in presentation is fantastic. TF2 as a game is absolutely terrible these days.

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
42. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 16:40 ViRGE

At the end of the day I don't particularly care about the MP portion since I don't intend to play it. But for SP I certainly expect it to behave arcadey, either innately or through the flight computer). I want to be a space fighting badass, laws of physics be damned. Having to learn how to really fly a space ship (and repeatedly fail) in an action game is not my idea of fun.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 13:52:

I can not begin to tell you people how weird it is to feel like I am nearly alone as a non-cynic with regards to this game. My wife is constantly bagging on me for being too cynical. I find it very humorous that while I am not a CR fanboy who would pay money for an autographed piece of used toilet paper, I am not any less enthusiastic about this game than I was when the project began either. I must be mellowing in my old age. (or it could be that the 35 dollar price tag just doesn't yank my chain hard enough to make me care about every little thing that may or may not be going wrong)

I'm with you. I think a lot of people are, it's just the naysayers tend to be vocal.
Agreed in full.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 19, 2014, 16:22 ViRGE

"Petition - Release Halo: The Master Chief Collection on PC"

The fact that this petition even exists shows that the petitioner doesn't understand anything about the business. Halo is specifically not on the PC because Halo is meant to sell Xboxes.

News Comments > Watch Dog Patch Plans
5. Re: Watch Dog Patch Plans Jun 18, 2014, 22:03 ViRGE

Dades wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 19:42:
* Removed high quality PC assets that embarrassed us

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!
No snark here; I seriously expect that they'll do this.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 13
4. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 13 Jun 18, 2014, 22:01 ViRGE

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 21:49:
Look at me, I'm so much better than this other journalist! I should write a self-congratulatory article about it!
Lousy journalists are a real problem, both to the profession and to readers. Bad interactions make developers less willing to talk to the press and lead to the press getting a negative stereotype assigned to them.

It does us all a favor when unprofessional journalists are called out and sacked.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 18, 2014, 18:04 ViRGE

SimplyMonk wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:56:
Verno wrote on Jun 18, 2014, 10:03:
It is still going to suck for third party games due to technical shortcomings though.

Ever since the Wii, Nintendo consoles have pretty much just been Nintendo Machines. I don't think there was a single Wii title I picked up that wasn't a Nintendo title outside of a few niche RPGs.
No More Heroes was very enjoyable, if it a bit trippy.

1369 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo