Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1642 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced
38. Re: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta Announced Jul 5, 2015, 05:59 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 23:35:
Blackhawk wrote on Jul 4, 2015, 19:47:
From what I've seen, this is a replacement for the mobile version of the game, meant for Win 10 devices, not PCs (although it is playable on Win 10 PCs.) It is not the replacement for the PC version.

MS just did a crappy job of communicating that.

Then why give it to owners of the standard Java version for free? That right there implies its purpose as a replacement. The mobile version for iOS and Android isn't being replaced by a Windows store app, and considering their respective mobile market shares, a change of direction for the Windows Phone version is hardly worthy of attention on its own. Watch this new unified Win10 version go forward with development while the original PC edition is abandoned.
Because can you imagine the holy hell that would erupt if they charged for it, when you can already play Minecraft on Windows via Java? There's a no win situation here; there are legitimate reasons to port the Pocket Edition to Windows for use on Win10 tablets and such, as Java Minecraft is comparatively speaking an absolute hog. PE/Win10 is going to run a lot better on those low-end devices, like it does today on Android and iOS tablets.

That said, I do suspect you're right in that this is the eventual direction of Minecraft. With the common PE codebase among all platform-specific versions, the Java version of Minecraft is the odd man out. At some point Mojang is going to want to wind down having two code bases. But there's a long way to go until PE (or rather, I suspect this is based on the XB1 version) can replace the Java version, even without accounting for mods.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update
7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Gun Metal Update Jul 3, 2015, 21:11 ViRGE

InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2015, 02:21:
TF2 was still kind of fun the last time I played it, I dont doubt it's still pretty great. Im not going back though, found it a little bit douchy that I had to grind to get drops to set the loadouts I wanted for the characters I wanted to play. Douchy, because I paid full price for this game when it came out with the Orange Box (and purchased two copies as gifts for RL friends) & I hate grinding in FPS games. Hope there is none of that shit in Overwatch, will be trying that out for laughs...
Agreed in full. Make it skill based or make it random, but don't make it based on time or money.

News Comments > OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans
5. Re: OS X & Linux DirectX 11 Support Plans Jun 30, 2015, 18:15 ViRGE

jomisab wrote on Jun 30, 2015, 09:46:
Just in time for DX12.
Interestingly, DX12 will be much, much easier to support. It's so thin that there's not a whole lot to be done besides reformatting a few things and passing them on to Vulkan.

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
3. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 18:10 ViRGE

Well then I suspect this easily secures Minecraft's place as the best-selling PC game ever. It couldn't have happened to a better game.  

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer
1. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth E3 Trailer Jun 30, 2015, 18:09 ViRGE

Blue, you may want to note that it's for the Rising Tide expansion in the title. Otherwise I suspect this title is going to confuse quite a few people as the base game has been out for quite some time.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
5. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 26, 2015, 01:39 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 23:23:
ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 19:36:
You know the game stinks on ice whenever:

1. It's Blizzard's new IP, I mean come on.. BLIZZARD!
2. It's a new genre for them (FPS)
3. It has supposedly borrowed from the Titan game

and yet... nobody seems to care one damn bit about the game.

Good lord that looked boring and slow. Like they captured the unfun parts of a MOBA and made them first person.

Speak for yourself. I think the game looks great and the only Blizzard game I've cared about in years.

Also, not sure I understand your MOBA reference. Overwatch isn't a MOBA in any way. There are no towers or minions or jungle mobs or leveling or equipment and you aren't trying to destroy the enemy base. Overwatch has more in common with TF2 than any MOBA.
Agreed. I'm waiting to see the final version, especially due to the rough edges with the overlay graphics, but this game at least has me mildly interested.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended
26. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Sales Suspended Jun 25, 2015, 17:26 ViRGE

Drazula wrote on Jun 25, 2015, 10:50:
Wow! Will they piss off PC gamers by never re-releasing it?!
No, of course they'll re-release it. There's tens of millions of dollars in sales at stake here, plus contractual relationships with NVIDIA and the like. Fixing it will be much cheaper than losing out on all of those sales.

News Comments > People Can Fly Returns
4. Re: People Can Fly Returns Jun 24, 2015, 16:02 ViRGE

Huh, I wonder what they were working on up until now? If Epic let them go, then that means whatever it is they were working on was canned.  

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released
3. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Episode 3 Released Jun 23, 2015, 16:41 ViRGE

The game has been out for what now, 8 months? And they're just now getting around to episode 3?  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues
30. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight PC Issues Jun 23, 2015, 16:40 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2015, 10:36:

edit: Looks like they also did the vita port of BL2, which I hear was atrocious.
To be fair to Iron Galaxy, porting Borderlands 2 to the Vita just flat-out wasn't a good idea. They did an admirable job, but the Vita isn't powerful enough for the task.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted
25. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Specs Updated; AMD Issues Noted Jun 22, 2015, 20:38 ViRGE

descender wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 19:25:
Still UE3, still same game... specs went up.

Please buy moar hardware!

I don't believe these specs for a minute lol, they are almost as stupid as the GTA5 specs were.
Well the baseline is the XB1/PS4 now, not the last-gen consoles. So they've been able to bump up the asset quality and complexity significantly.

News Comments > Tale of Tales Closing
55. Re: Tale of Tales Closing Jun 22, 2015, 07:40 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Jun 22, 2015, 04:25:
The issue is that the game's premise holds little to no appeal for most gamers, hence the terrible sales. The fact that the developers considered Sunset a "gamer's game" shows a major disconnect with their target audience, which is again reinforced by the lackluster sales.
Now I'm curious, what would the crowd here consider a "gamer's game" anyhow?

It seems to be it would be something like Super Mario Bros/Super Mario Galaxy: heavy on the gameplay, lots of variety, and easy to play but very difficult to master.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Metroid Jun 19, 2015, 06:56 ViRGE

Cram wrote on Jun 18, 2015, 19:14:
I don't get Nintendo here either or what in the hell they are thinking with the Metroid franchise. Or most of their franchises, for that matter.
Clearly the idea was to put together a fun co-op handheld FPS. The issue is that while Metroid as a universe is a good setting, Metroid as a franchise is a hard sell because it has always been about Samus.

News Comments > Need for Speed in November
3. Re: Need for Speed in November Jun 15, 2015, 21:53 ViRGE

Does anyone remember when NFS was just a fun game about racing exotic cars in cool locations?  

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Announced
2. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 21:50 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:48:
Shit. Next.
It could have been a legitimately good game had they not gone P2W...

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
8. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 15, 2015, 21:48 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:29:
Not Obsidian.

Indeed. I liked SoT, but without Obsidian I have my doubts that anyone else can match that level of quality, even with Parker & Stone taking part.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Legends Revealed
1. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Legends Revealed Jun 14, 2015, 23:35 ViRGE

So Bethesada Hearthstone, then?  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
3. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 12, 2015, 02:17 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 23:20:
Jetpack? Check.
Rocket launcher? Check
Throw in some skiing and you won't be able to make me leave!

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
36. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 00:28 ViRGE

Cyant wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 20:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:46:
Win 10 is free only if you're running Win 7 or above. And most recent graphics cards will run DX-12, although not all features, so you'll need a new graphics card at some point.

If you are not running Win 7 / 8.1 + at least a mid range vid card by now then you should not buy a Rift anyway.
Bingo. You're driving a 2160x1200 pixel 3D display. A Radeon R9 290 or equivalent is the suggested video card, all the while the headset itself will easily be $300. So you've either spent $300+ recent on a video card, or will be doing so in the near future.

Meanwhile if a full copy of Windows breaks the bank - and this assumes you're not already on 7 or better, which at this point is virtually everyone - then you're not really in a position to be buying the Rift in the first place.

Bundy wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 20:56:
I believe that when playing XB1 games the Oculus is simply displaying the game as a large 2D display. So it wouldn't need to hit 75fps. It's not 3D.

But regardless I don't really see any reason for this mode, this is basically a way for MS to partner with someone as an answer for the PS4 and Morpheus (albeit a weak answer).
Correct. MS isn't even trying to drive 3D. They know the XB1 can't do it.

That said, this mode does have its appeal. If you're one of the few people to use the GearVR, this is one of the Gear's selling points. And it works pretty well. Sometimes you just want to tune out the world and pretend you're in front of a really big screen.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 21:26:
Just be thankful they didn't include a kinect.
To be fair to MS, that's 80% of what the Rift's tracking system is anyhow. So you've still got a camera measuring your position... It's just looking for IR lights instead of running a more complex depth sensor.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 21:38:
Oculus gets some of the blame here, but yeah, it's weird to include an XB1 controller with it. Your target market is early adopters with extra cash, 90% of whom are already going to have multiple gaming devices that can work just fine with the 'Rift: wheels, joysticks, controllers, etc. Forcing people to purchase another device the vast majority of people won't need isn't going to sit well.

The only thing I see this being is as a counter to Valve, who are coming out with their own VR and controller.
jdreyer, not poking at you specifically, but how many people here have actually used a Rift for any period of time?

The controller is the only thing that makes sense. You can't see in front of you. You need a simple control scheme that you can navigate without looking. Devs have already tried other options with their dev kits; take it from someone who has used them, anything more than a controller really doesn't work very well.

Even as a touch typist, I'd be hard-pressed to perfectly work a keyboard completely blind when it comes to games, since it's a different mindset and muscle movements than typing out text.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 11, 2015, 22:50 ViRGE

The fact that we only have 15 posts so far is really indicative of the mood on the summer sale. Enthusiasm for this year's sale is way, way down.  

1642 Comments. 83 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo