Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1629 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Need for Speed in November
3. Re: Need for Speed in November Jun 15, 2015, 21:53 ViRGE

Does anyone remember when NFS was just a fun game about racing exotic cars in cool locations?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Announced
2. Re: Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 Announced Jun 15, 2015, 21:50 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:48:
Shit. Next.
It could have been a legitimately good game had they not gone P2W...

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced
8. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Announced Jun 15, 2015, 21:48 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:29:
Not Obsidian.

Indeed. I liked SoT, but without Obsidian I have my doubts that anyone else can match that level of quality, even with Parker & Stone taking part.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls: Legends Revealed
1. Re: The Elder Scrolls: Legends Revealed Jun 14, 2015, 23:35 ViRGE

So Bethesada Hearthstone, then?  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
3. Re: Overwatch Trailer Jun 12, 2015, 02:17 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 23:20:
Jetpack? Check.
Rocket launcher? Check
Throw in some skiing and you won't be able to make me leave!

News Comments > Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced
36. Re: Oculus Rift Controller & Xbox Partnership Announced Jun 12, 2015, 00:28 ViRGE

Cyant wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 20:32:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 19:46:
Win 10 is free only if you're running Win 7 or above. And most recent graphics cards will run DX-12, although not all features, so you'll need a new graphics card at some point.

If you are not running Win 7 / 8.1 + at least a mid range vid card by now then you should not buy a Rift anyway.
Bingo. You're driving a 2160x1200 pixel 3D display. A Radeon R9 290 or equivalent is the suggested video card, all the while the headset itself will easily be $300. So you've either spent $300+ recent on a video card, or will be doing so in the near future.

Meanwhile if a full copy of Windows breaks the bank - and this assumes you're not already on 7 or better, which at this point is virtually everyone - then you're not really in a position to be buying the Rift in the first place.

Bundy wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 20:56:
I believe that when playing XB1 games the Oculus is simply displaying the game as a large 2D display. So it wouldn't need to hit 75fps. It's not 3D.

But regardless I don't really see any reason for this mode, this is basically a way for MS to partner with someone as an answer for the PS4 and Morpheus (albeit a weak answer).
Correct. MS isn't even trying to drive 3D. They know the XB1 can't do it.

That said, this mode does have its appeal. If you're one of the few people to use the GearVR, this is one of the Gear's selling points. And it works pretty well. Sometimes you just want to tune out the world and pretend you're in front of a really big screen.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 21:26:
Just be thankful they didn't include a kinect.
To be fair to MS, that's 80% of what the Rift's tracking system is anyhow. So you've still got a camera measuring your position... It's just looking for IR lights instead of running a more complex depth sensor.

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2015, 21:38:
Oculus gets some of the blame here, but yeah, it's weird to include an XB1 controller with it. Your target market is early adopters with extra cash, 90% of whom are already going to have multiple gaming devices that can work just fine with the 'Rift: wheels, joysticks, controllers, etc. Forcing people to purchase another device the vast majority of people won't need isn't going to sit well.

The only thing I see this being is as a counter to Valve, who are coming out with their own VR and controller.
jdreyer, not poking at you specifically, but how many people here have actually used a Rift for any period of time?

The controller is the only thing that makes sense. You can't see in front of you. You need a simple control scheme that you can navigate without looking. Devs have already tried other options with their dev kits; take it from someone who has used them, anything more than a controller really doesn't work very well.

Even as a touch typist, I'd be hard-pressed to perfectly work a keyboard completely blind when it comes to games, since it's a different mindset and muscle movements than typing out text.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale
17. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 11, 2015, 22:50 ViRGE

The fact that we only have 15 posts so far is really indicative of the mood on the summer sale. Enthusiasm for this year's sale is way, way down.  

News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed
2. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Title Confirmed Jun 9, 2015, 21:30 ViRGE

The phrase "as we introduce X to a new generation" scares the crud out of me.  

News Comments > Steam Expands Refund Policy
16. Re: Steam Expands Refund Policy Jun 2, 2015, 15:57 ViRGE

bhcompy wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:53:
LittleMe wrote on Jun 2, 2015, 14:51:
Nice! Two hours is fine for some games, not for others. I suspect if we disconnect from the Internet and play and those hours won't be counted.

You have to reconnect to the internet to do the refund and those hours are counted by the overlay.
Piece of cake. Just image the system with Acronis and restore it once you're done playing.

What will get you in the end is requesting so many refunds, since Valve has to process those. Otherwise for game time abuse, Valve doesn't have a perfect way to tell how long you've been playing a game.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 2, 2015, 02:54 ViRGE

I wish the Starfighter team the best of luck. But it's not for me. They're chasing Star Citizen and Elite down the same PvP hole.

I'm still waiting for someone to set out and do a proper single player epic space sim. No PvP, no Newtonian physics. Just you, a bunch of bad guys, a slightly overpowered ship, and lots of lasers.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2015, 17:23 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on May 30, 2015, 16:02:
no Tron 3 makes me sad... :(
Agreed. I was looking forward to that finally going into production.

News Comments > Borderlands Drop Rate Increases
7. Re: Borderlands Drop Rate Increases May 27, 2015, 11:59 ViRGE

NetHead wrote on May 27, 2015, 10:00:
Creston wrote on May 27, 2015, 09:42:
After analyzing thousands of hours of your gameplay and feedback survey data, we’ve decided to add a permanent 3x drop rate increase to both games!

Really? Two years after the damn game comes out, you decide to increase the damn drop rate? The millions of people TELLING you the drop rate was garbage didn't give that away?

I wouldn't be surprised if the drop rate was deliberately low due to that Golden Key crap they were pulling.

Also with all the random aspects of weapons you will probably not get a good version of a weapon you were hoping for by the time you've finished the game, unless you give yourself basically infinite Gold Keys and farm the chest every X levels.
At that point you're better off just editing your save file. Which I will give Gearbox credit for: the drop rate may suck, but at least they didn't go full-on MMO here and prevent you from cheating if you feel like it.

panbient wrote on May 27, 2015, 11:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 27, 2015, 10:41:
That's like Diablo 3 just randomly dropping legendaries on you after you entered a code. Where is the FUN in that?

Did anyone actually get legendaries by using golden keys? Best I ever saw were purples and only very rarely worth equipping.
Golden keys only go up to Purple. Legendaries you have to get the hard way.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup May 27, 2015, 02:36 ViRGE

Dangit, I quickly glanced at this section and saw "Dragon" and "Crown". I had my hopes up that it was a Dragon's Crown story.  

News Comments > Overwatch Trailer
7. Re: Overwatch Trailer May 22, 2015, 17:42 ViRGE

Jackplug wrote on May 22, 2015, 13:47:
Oh dear, a very sad version of TF2...
Well TF2 went off the rails when you could purchase weapons. If it's literally just cosmetics, then it may not go off the rails.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2015, 17:01 ViRGE

I must admit I never did car for Letterman. However I'm looking forward to seeing what the Real Colbert can do with the show.  

News Comments > Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn
10. Re: Need for Speed Reboot This Autumn May 21, 2015, 15:56 ViRGE

Kajetan wrote on May 21, 2015, 13:39:
How do you "reboot" a game series, which has no storyline, no narration, no "lore" and no tradition whatsoever? Everything you can do with arcade racing games has already been done with NfS over the years. What's there to reboot i wonder?
I was just wondering that myself. Other than being an arcade racing game, each installment varies from one to the next. Really the only valid claim here is that this is the first game not being held back by the last-gen consoles.
Alamar wrote on May 21, 2015, 14:34:
However... I like NFS games, because I prefer 'arcade' driving
Ditto. I appreciate the sim guys, but I too prefer the less realistic arcade style. Give me NFS3 HD any day of the week.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 20, 2015, 04:58 ViRGE

bigspender wrote on May 19, 2015, 20:18:
The only way Adam Sandler could contribute to saving the world would be if he stops making movies.
If only we were so lucky.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
22. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 11:47 ViRGE

dubfanatic wrote on May 19, 2015, 11:35:
Oh good, the Reddit Bureau of Investigation is on the case. Because they've never been wrong before.
They may very well be. As far as I know, you typically don't use GPU PhysX for first-order physics such as the tire grip mentioned in the post. Rather you use it for second-order physics such as particles, hair, and other effects that don't require sending large amounts of data back to the CPU. Sending data back is very expensive and slow (latency).

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 16, 2015, 16:15 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on May 16, 2015, 15:27:
It's just a game and has nothing to do with the rest of the operating system. Might as well freak out at the inclusion of Solitaire. We've been testing Windows 10 at work and its perfectly fine, much better than Windows 8 in terms of accommodating all user devices with minimal compromise. The small resource footprint and requirements are great too, its a big improvement over Windows 7. Don't listen to the people who can't even bothered to load it up and just parrot whatever they hear on Slashdot.
It's not just a game. It's Microsoft including software from a company who engages in blatantly unethical, predatory practices. People don't spend money on Candy Crush because they want to, they spend money because the game is engineered down to the last bit to manipulate them into doing so.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 16, 2015, 16:13 ViRGE

From a content perspective, Splatoon looks incomplete. Nintendo seems to be rushing it out the door to get it out before E3. But what content is there looks good, and judging from the Global Testfire it plays well. So while it's rushed, it doesn't appear to be buggy, so Nintendo is at least doing that much right.  

1629 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo