Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1343 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Serious Sam 2 Replaces GameSpy with Steamworks
10. Re: Serious Sam 2 Replaces GameSpy with Steamworks Jun 14, 2014, 05:21 ViRGE

While Serious Sam 2 was not Croteam's shining moment, I will give them all the credit they deserve and more for updating it to use Steamworks. Especially since the game is so old (Xbox 1 generation).  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification
7. Re: Star Citizen E3 Presentation; (Lack of) OS X Clarification Jun 13, 2014, 11:31 ViRGE

I don't believe CryEngine 3 is even available on Mac OS X, is it? CIG can't do a Mac version until they have Mac capabilities available upstream.  

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 6
5. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 6 Jun 13, 2014, 11:28 ViRGE

Spencer explains why Microsoft didn't bring Windows games to E3.
Not to be snarky, but Microsoft makes more money off of Xbox games than PC games. PC gaming is still a profit center for them, but when it's not the most profitable gaming business it's not going to be the center of attention.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2014, 11:21 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:41:

Ok, I'm only 2 minutes into the video, and the original 3-1 trick is a lot simpler...

On the one hand I'm impressed they found such a bug. On the other hand it's not so much clever as it is finding a bug (something NES games have a ton of).

News Comments > BF Early Access Possible
7. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 11:11 ViRGE

born2expire wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 10:34:
ViRGE wrote on Jun 13, 2014, 09:45:
Translation: EA is searching for further ways to increase pre-orders.

Does anyone remember a time in this industry when the bulk of game sales came after the reviews and formal release of the product? Those were good times.

Now Pre-orders will make sense, pre-order the game to get into early access, if its a disaster, cancel pre-order, done

You would think canceled pre-orders speak louder to EA than people who choose not to buy the game.
My understanding is that with most early access programs you can't cancel your pre-order. Once you've been given access you are treated as having purchased the game.

The cynic in me says that this is a way to keep customers from canceling their pre-orders after playing any betas (or having heard from others who have played).

News Comments > BF Early Access Possible
2. Re: BF Early Access Possible Jun 13, 2014, 09:45 ViRGE

Translation: EA is searching for further ways to increase pre-orders.

Does anyone remember a time in this industry when the bulk of game sales came after the reviews and formal release of the product? Those were good times.

News Comments > Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up
3. Re: Minecraft Server Payments Follow-up Jun 12, 2014, 21:02 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 18:37:
I am not a Minecraft player so my understanding of how the servers work etc is limited. I tried it, loved the concept and have been in awe of what people have done with it, but I myself never got into it despite having bought it on 3 platforms because 3 nieces and a nephew love it. Does Mojang actually have a technical/physical way of enforcing any of this or is just the threat of legal action that is supposed to carry some sort of weight?
They don't have a technical means at the moment, so it's purely a legal threat. But if it became an issue they could always develop one. This is still a game under full time active development, after all.

News Comments > GamersGate Summer Sale
5. Re: GamersGate Summer Sale Jun 12, 2014, 21:01 ViRGE

How can it be a summer sale when it's not even summer yet? Summer doesn't start for another week and a half.  

News Comments > Carmack-Free QuakeCon
3. Re: Carmack-Free QuakeCon Jun 12, 2014, 20:03 ViRGE

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 19:48:
So we are not going to have to listen eight hours of techno graphics driver memory utilization texture swapping storage
Correct. It was the best part of the show by far. Carmack knows so much, and unlike so few engine developers is willing to share it and is articulate enough to do so effectively.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
9. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 11:31 ViRGE

TheEmissary wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 11:10:
Sounds like portions of the engine are tied to framerate assumptions. Remember on the new Need for Speed game when you uncap the framerate I think that is what they are afraid would happen. I don't know why this is still an issue as the graphical frame rate doesn't have to be tied to the physics simulation speed.
It's much, much easier if you do. Having the simulation decoupled from rendering introduces some additional complexity and performance concerns, things which developers can forgo on the consoles since it's a fixed platform.

Games that are locked at 30Hz are fairly rare, but you'd be surprised at the number of games that are similarly locked at 60Hz. Assassin's Creed, Rage/Wolfenstein, etc. In an ideal world this shouldn't be happening, but as you can tell we live in a world that's far from ideal.

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 2014, 20:31.

News Comments > Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible
6. Re: Dead Rising 3 PC Framerate Issues Possible Jun 12, 2014, 10:40 ViRGE

Asmodai wrote on Jun 12, 2014, 09:59:
Ffs, they couldn't find a work experience kid somewhere that would come hang out for the day, play the game unlocked and say "well, this is the shit that happened."??

I bet they know exactly what's going to happen. But it's also budgeted as a straight port, so there's no time and funding to try to fix any bugs that occur when the physics engine operates above 30Hz.

In which case this is most decent thing they can do. If they can't fix it they can at least leave it unlocked as a YMMV option.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2014, Part 3
7. Re: It Came from E3 2014, Part 3 Jun 10, 2014, 21:31 ViRGE

[VG]Reagle wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 19:19:
NEED BOOTH BABE PICTURES............NOW!
John Callaham works for Mobile Nations now. I'm not sure if he's even at E3 this year. He's usually the most prolific source of booth babe photos.

News Comments > Postal 2 Add-on Announced
9. Re: Postal 2 Add-on Announced Jun 10, 2014, 18:53 ViRGE

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 18:08:
You know a game is bad (Postal 3) when you have to make an expansion to the freaking previous entry.
Postal 3 was an unmitigated disaster. The Russian developers that worked on it really, really made a mess of things. RWS won't even sell the game.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 10, 2014, 09:20 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 09:07:
The Playstation TV thing is kinda crazy good. Plays PS1-PS3 and Vita games, runs streaming apps and can use PS Now. All that for $99, the cost of a FireTV or Roku.
Two quick points of clarification:

1) It only plays PS1 games and [i]some[/i] Vita games. Most Vita games do not work on it since it lacks touchpad controls.

2) For comparing it to the FireTV/Roku, the Vita/Playstation TV can only output to a maximum of 1080i/720p. All dedicated media boxes these days can do 1080p.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2014, 09:18 ViRGE

Bring on the Nintendo presentation!  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 9, 2014, 00:15 ViRGE

Julio wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 17:43:
It doesn't surprise me at all that Microsoft is sabotaging Windows 7. As soon as they have a new OS, they start to screw up the prior OS to try to force sales of the new one.
Microsoft is not sabotaging Windows 7. Windows 7 has the same functionality and security features as it always had, and it will have any outstanding security vulnerabilities patched on the second Tuesday of the month until 2020.

The article in question vastly misstates what's going on. Microsoft added new security APIs to Windows 8, so that developers can use them to mitigate flaws in their own code. Those are new features and as such come with a new OS; they are not patched in to old OSes.

News Comments > 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed
25. Re: 64-Bit PC Dead Rising 3 Confirmed Jun 5, 2014, 18:43 ViRGE

descender wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 12:30:
6GB of ram minimum?!? For that fuzzy, dated looking garbage?

God damn programmers have gotten fucking lazy.
It's a game built for a console with 8GB of RAM. Don't be surprised when your PC needs as much (or more) resources than a console to play console ports.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers
10. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Drivers Jun 5, 2014, 18:38 ViRGE

I wonder if these drivers have any of the XB1-specific features enabled (impulse triggers), or if it's solely emulating a 360 controller for the moment?

LittleMe wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:21:
Flo wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 18:14:
But no word on a wireless option, so at the moment, useless for me.

It might work with the same wireless PC adapter that the X360 controller used...? Not sure but it makes sense. Uses same wireless frequencies?

Different network protocols. The XB1 controller uses WiFi-Direct, from what I understand. The 360 controller used a custom wireless protocol.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 3, 2014, 20:49 ViRGE

Sony sold a shocking number of PSPs despite how forgettable it was in the end. I suppose it comes down to location and games: the PSP was a much bigger success in Japan than outside of it, and at least in the West while it did thankfully get games (unlike the Vita), a lot of them were forgettable. The poor inputs and PS 1.5 graphics didn't do game developers any favors here.  

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jun 3, 2014, 20:47 ViRGE

descender wrote on Jun 3, 2014, 14:05:
Some of those Kart clones look fun, has anyone tried Krautscape or Skydrift?
If you want to play a karting game on the PC, just get Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Nothing else even comes close on the PC.

1343 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo